Who else hype? does this mean criterion will eventually release all the kubricks?

who else hype? does this mean criterion will eventually release all the kubricks?

What's the appeal of criterion?

The logo

no. they specifically got Barry Lyndon from Warner Bros. because it's not a big commercial success for WB and Criterion is a boutique thing. they would never get the chance to release The Shining or A Clockwork Orange, for instance.

Leon Vitali supervised the transfer and i'm sort of wary of it, he's fucked things up before. it's in 1.66:1 aspect ratio as in the European release and they did a 5.1 mix even though it was mixed for mono (as were most of Kubrick's movies, even when mono fell out of style)

Don't they totally overhaul every film they get their hands on and 'remaster' it in some way? Whether they add a filter or increase colour exposure in some way

Every criterion you own is worth +5 patrician points

the main audio track is gonna be mono

I don't give two fucking shits. I own the original dvd from 1999 and it looks fine. I can still see the movie - nobody cares about your fancy faggy hi def bullshit

>I can still see the movie - nobody cares about your fancy faggy hi def bullshit
t. poorfag

What if it's Tiny Furniture?

>caring about pixels

This.

TINY FURNITURE??? WHAZAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? IS THAT A MICROAGGRESSION????

how's that 17 inch CRT television doing for you, user?

I have a 32" trinitron, dvd's look beautiful on it - suck my ass

hype for what? ive already seen it and can see it whenever i want

that's good to hear

Vitali has made bizarre statements about Barry Lyndon's aspect ratio before. i think he said it was intended to be 1:77:1 (not a typo)

he also talked about how Clockwork Orange would never be released in an anamorphic DVD and it was obvious he had no idea what that actually meant

also the Eyes Wide Shut DVD and Blu-Ray transfers are significantly different from the 35mm prints in terms of grain.

No this is false. They do film restoration and digitizing (aka remaster). They always aim for how a print would have looked in perfect condition in a good theater with a good projectionist.

>he actually does own a CRT
>he's also getting salty
you don't know shit until you've seen a good movie in HD on a 60 inch TV, faggot.

High quality transfer, lots of extras, good artwork/packaging, cool factor, and most of them are guaranteed to be pretty good films at least

what was barry lyndon's original theatrical aspect ratio?

>throwing money away re-buying all your movies on blu ray

who's the faggot now?

>throwing money away
nigga plz there are places in person and online where you can get them for a dollar or two apiece

Criterion will probably release Lolita next. It has no special features on the WB release and was never treated as a big deal by Warner (it and Barry Lyndon used to be online exclusive).

Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Fullmetal Jacket and 2001 will probably be re-released by WB themselves over the next few years in 4K UHD. Next year is 2001's 50th Anniversary.

Spartacus had a nice 4K restored 1080p BD release in 2015 from Universal pictures, but it used to be a Criterion DVD/Laserdisc so there's always a chance they can re-license it from Universal (as they have with Brazil, Fear and Loathing, Do The Right Thing)

>cheapest criterion blu ray I've ever seen is $35

you don't have to lie

you aren't looking hard enough user

the fact the criterion can't just release a kubrick mega box activates my autism

There are several on Amazon right now for $25.

The general time to buy Criterion is during the two (I think?) Barnes and Noble sales where all Criterion is 50% off, making the standard release $20.

They always put out great releases of usually great movies that usually aren't on Blu-ray already.

Criterion are the originators of the "special edition" home video release. They were the first to include commentary tracks on Laserdisc, to seek director/DP approval on the video transfer, bonus features etc.
Today they produce very high quality Blu-ray releases of films, with nice packaging (often commissioned artwork by top-level designers/illustrators), director-approved video/audio, comprehensive extras. Directors such as Terrence Malick, David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Terry Gilliam, David Fincher and Guillermo del Toro all have a special relationship with Criterion and have many releases of their films handled through them over other distributors.

Their Dr. Strangelove release is god-tier.

>implying anyone gives a shit about outdated black and white movies

When it comes to Kubrick films, the "correct" aspect ratio is often up for debate. Kubrick hated letterboxing, so he would film in 1.33:1, knowing the top and bottom would be cut off to show in the theater. The theatrical version would look correct, but when they put the movie out on VHS, it could fill your whole screen and you wouldn't be missing anything, you'd actually be seeing something more.

There's debate as to which version Kubrick preferred.

I know you're bating, but kill yourself.

Why doesn't Criterion release more classic horror? Scream Factory and Arrow typically don't release anything from the 30's or 40's.

he's right you know

What good horror movies were released during that time aside from the universal slate?

Kubrick probably would've wanted his films in their theatrical 1.66:1 aspect ratio on Blu-ray. He died just before widescreen TVs became a thing, but he composed for 1.66:1 because that's how it would look in theaters and that was most important. The negative space in the top and bottom would be protected for 4:3 TVs because he hated the look of black bars on the top and bottom. Still, the "TV framing" that Kubrick would oversee was meant for a now obsolete TV standard. If the 1.33:1 versions of his films were shown on modern HDTVs, then there'd be even thicker black bars on the sides, which he surely would've hated.

The Criterion releases of his films are the closest to how they would have looked in theaters.

I already have the WB release, but I'll probably get this one eventually.

this is correct

Should I buy some Criterion blus now or wait for the inevitable 4K versions?

lol I'm getting it for the original old school 70's wb logo at the beginning

I doubt they'll release them

It'll probably be a LONG time before a lot of them get upgraded to 4K. Just buy the ones you want now. It's probably the best release for a good long time.

kek

Didn't the studio want him to fill the black bars with stars on 2001 or was that Star Wars

Criterion will probably never release 4K discs. They struggle to release DVD and Blu-ray at the same time as it is. No way they can support 3 different formats, unless maybe they do BD + 4K combo packs like the major studios.

Ahahaahahah
Well played

I won't matter if you own a crappy tv or you're watching it on a computer monitor

>tfw the original logo animation is perfectly synced to the music and WB fucked up their BD release by updating it

This clinches it for me.

I am hyped

Now my purchase of a blu-ray player last Christmas might be useful. The dvd copy I have of this is low quality

How many of these kinos will have a Criterion Edition? Not counting the ones that already do, of course.

You never matter period.

gotg SUCKS

What about existing BDs? Will Criterion improve on them, or no, and what is the consensus on their transfer quality? Pic related. I know Criterion is worst in some cases than Artificial Eye, etc.

>all those shitty movies
>gotg sucks

>New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
>Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
>New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as audio excerpts from a 1976 interview with director Stanley Kubrick
>New program about the film’s groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
>New program featuring historian Christopher Frayling on Academy Award–winning production designer Ken Adam
>New interview with editor Tony Lawson
French television interview from 1976 with Ulla-Britt Söderlund, who codesigned the film’s Oscar-winning costumes
>New interview with critic Michel Ciment
>New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
>New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with curator Adam Eaker
>Trailers
>PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and two pieces about the look of the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer
If none of that shit sounds enticing you ought to kys

The current Blu-ray by WB looks damn good but it's from a 2K master and it has been cropped to 16:9 1.78:1 widescreen.
Criterion will be using a new 4K scan and it will presented it its original 1.66:1 AR with approval by his assistant. It's worth noting that because of the lenses that Kubrick shot the film with, it will look very soft by design.
Criterion generally has great video transfers, if there are issues it is because of the source they are given (or controversial color re-grading like with Scanners or Thief, but that's a personal taste thing, they look different because they're director-approved)

>New 4K digital restoration
Might as well be a buzzword until we see comparisons to existing BDs. Many such supposed "4K" transfers have been worst than existing 1080p transfers, although maybe Criterion is more competent.

Edgefag AND samefag
ENOUGH

interesting, neat stuff
just showed my gf BL, such a pretty picture with all the natural lighting. i hope criterion's looks good

>$20 each at Costco
>$20 each on Criterion.com or BarnesandNoble during sales
>Dr. Strangelove is $24 right fucking now on Amazon, most titles are in that range
Look harder

Why can't they release his films with the most picture space available(4:3 I assume) and include an aspect ratio selector with a little commentary and guidance?

Artifical Eye has proven how shit they are with the Tarkovsky's collection. Their Stalker was God awful and the art for all the boxes is amateur as fuck.

Why did Kubrick hate widescreen?

see

Most 4K restorations I've seen have been fantastic. Which ones are you referring to?

I had to watch this film 6 times. Fucking hell the first three times I fell asleep. The fourth time I watched it all but like over a week.

The fifth time I finally saw in one go. The sixth time I finally got it. But shit, this should have been a play.

He didn't hate widescreen, just letterboxing on CRTs.

This is supposedly the final work on the aspect ratio.

I can deal with black bars at the top and bottom, but the black bars on the side are annoying. Pure garbage.

Why was he so autistic?

*word

Criterion's video transfers are rarely not improvements.

Criterons Stalker remaster is a mess, the sepia scenes are literally yellow.

The detail looks way better overall, and the color is much more refined for the non-sepia scenes.

Vs what? The Russian Potemkine bluray is as practically identical without the ruined sepia scenes.

Extra features you won't even watch

I always watch them.