How did this guy snake his was into getting the tonight show back when it actually meant something...

how did this guy snake his was into getting the tonight show back when it actually meant something? I know comedy ages like milk and a lot of stuff from this era isnt really laugh out loud funny today, but you can usually put yourself in the context of the time mentally and appreciate the good material.

Leno, however, is atrocious by any standard and completely bombing even back then. How was this not his last appearance on this show, or television in general for that matter?

Even Letterman who hates this guy still says he was "the funniest guy and everyone wanted to be like him". Im looking for one example to back up his reputation with other comedians.

youtube.com/watch?v=rxmXpzcl4MI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cQLv7CG10B4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I find him charming.

Leno alegedly amassed a huge collection of other comics performing and would invite them over just so he could make them watch themselves bomb. He's a lot sharper than he lets on.

for what purpose? that actually sounds funny if its just in good fun.

Leno worked very hard back in the day. I understand he's not as funny as more progressive modern comedians such as Stephen Colbert, Moshe Kasher and Jaime Kilstein, but in his time he put a lot of work in and gave audiences what they wanted. Most comedy club audiences just want to laugh and aren't comedy nerds with discerning tastes like yourself, OP.

you're making a lot of wrong assumptions there, pal. I don't even know the names you mentioned besides Colbert and I only see him from browsing Sup Forums/ Not everyone you disagree with is a progressive liberal.

Im comparing Jay to other comics that performed on Carson, and Jay's material in that clip is weak and he's not getting a good reaction from the crowd.

Hating on Leno is such a normie reddit opinion. Just watch his car shows and youll see in a second how fucking based the man actually is. The reason he gets so much hate is because he's a conservative in liberal hollywood.

>Jay
>not getting a good reaction from the crowd
Nigger I'll shit on you. I'll shit on you and I'll piss on you and I'll shit on you. Nigger I'll piss on you. I'll piss on you and I'll shit on you and I'll fuck your shit

Lol remember that time numale hero conan was given the tonight show and they had to bring leno back a week later because he flopped. Reddit was so mad!

What? I didn't say anything about your political views. Calm down.

The reason he gets hate is because he dumbed down his comedy for NBC ratings. It worked but it made him a sellout. He was and still is hilarious which makes it frustrating.

>literally poasts clip from the 70s
>durr hurr how did this guy get the gig after 15 years of practice

I don't get why people liked Letterman. I remember watching his show and the dude was boring. Ferguson was underrated and the most enjoyable

sounded like you assumed I was a fan of progressive liberal comics.

I have yet to find any clip of Jay on Carson where he's doing much better than that.

Well, I'd say you aren't very into comedy then or else you'd at least be aware of comedians. So I don't really value your opinion of Leno's comedy since comedy's not really your thing.

Conan is still funnier.

>progressive liberal comics.
You mean 90 percent of modern comedians?

>you're not a true comedy fan unless you know the works of Jamie Kilstein

Yeah, Jay was so bad he couldn't possibly look better than late-era Carson. Carson must have been so pissed when they chose a clearly mediocre performer to replace him rather than someone who would have done better than he had recently been doing.

Think about it. Carson was Letterman's hero. He was also an ice-cold politician.

>misquoting you because I'm a garbage person

>snowed on the sun
LOL
>give us a burger and some gasoline!
LMAO

Was this shit somehow funny in the 70s?

>Donald BLUMPF!
LOL
>Wubbalubbadub dub!
LMAO

Was this shit somehow funny in the 10's?

What's with fags like you? Give it to me straight. Is trolling the new fun thing? Do you have no sense of humor? What do you find funny? Is it just perceived identity politics that sways your mind?

What is it?

Jay isn't liberal therefore he gets a pass for being atrociously unfunny

Lol you're still mad over conan getting cucked 10 years later. Clean your room and get some exercise.

it's not that far off from what you actually said. you say someone isn't into comedy based on them not being aware of Jamie KIlstein. Every hack with a microphone gets a Netflix special these day or has a podcast with a small following. You can be into the medium without knowing ever active comic.

>ITT we all pretend carson never bombed and that the tonight show host isn't supposed to be a straight man act

it's kitschy but he's not bombing

what I don't get is people acting like Conan O'Brien wasn't good for his first five or so years. Which while his golden age was the early 2000s, his early-mid 90s is decent

Jay is an unwatchable hack, and I say that as a conservative. I'm not going to pretend shit is gold because it curled out of a conservative's ass. I don't watch Larry the Cable Guy and I don't buy random shit because a picture of someone I have something in common with is on the cover, I'm not a nigger.

>I don't get why people liked Letterman. I remember watching his show and the dude was boring. Ferguson was underrated and the most enjoyable

Letterman was inoffensive and generic
don't know why Ferguson doesn't have a show anymore. Late Show is glamorized garbage now, liked when it felt surreal and a little unpopular

I gave 3 examples. Stop lying. Go troll on plebbit. This is a thread for people who understand comedy and you don't belong here.

Leno is one of those people who got to where they are based on charm. Charm is the real talent in TV, everything else is secondary. Kind of like politics.

Real comedy coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=cQLv7CG10B4

this guy was making cuck jokes before it was cool

Conanfags btfo'd

Not that guy, but he said he knew who Colbert was and didn't know the other two irrelevant names you mentioned. You're most definitely retarded.

Why didn't he take over Ferguson's show? Letterman loved him and lobbied hard for him

You mean HE's retarded. I'm intelligent.

No, dude I said YOU were retarded. You're actually proving my point!

this alone just made me love the guy

You mean "He's retarded". I'm not the retarded one. Just a minor correction. You're welcome.

Im not thanking you. I disagree with the correction.

Oh well, don't worry about it. I don't mind helping you out. Don't mention it.

you keep misconstruing what I say

It was my pleasure, no need to thank me.

im not thanking you

Really, I insist. It was nothing. No reason to apologize, just be more aware in the future. That's good enough for me.

not normie enough

I dont know how youre getting this from what I'm saying

All standup comedy was hack shit in the 70s and 80s, if you were a standup and you didn't get a TV show back then you really were terrible.

I said it's okay. You don't need to be so hard on yourself. I forgive you.

Conan is funnier, yes.
But, his run on the tonight show wasn't, he was trying just too hard.
Granted it's quite unfair of NBC to not give him more time to settle and find his pace, but his short run was very underwhelming and desperate.

this isnt making sense

>underwhelming and desperate.

That's Conan in a nutshell. Watch that documentary about him and it's tough to come to any other conclusion. I think the only reason the early years of his show were any good was that he had writers like Louis CK and Robert Smigel working for him.

This guy here is better.

>Leno is one of those people who got to where they are based on charm.

KEK. No. Leno got the Tonight Show because Helen Kushnick had the biggest set of brass balls in show business, insufferable though she was.

Because norm doesn't constantly shit on trump and talk about how bad white people are like every other "comedian" these days.

Stop. There are people who care about you and I can't stand to see you do this to yourself. Call One eight hundred two seven three eight two five five. That's the National Suicide Prevention Hotline and maybe they can offer some guidance in this tough time.

Ferguson was so good. Respect to him for walking away on a high note.

The thing that made Leno's monologue on the tonight show work is the pace. He would tell a few shitty jokes and just move through them until he hit something good. So many of the other late night hosts just harp on the same joke for too long and it gets boring.

What????

For the love of god man, I understand you're hurting but please consider your actions. Reach out to somebody. Where are you right now? I'll send somebody to do a wellness check.

never found him funny.
this video was trash and borderline hard to watch.

why does Sup Forums like this fuckin guy?

>loud
>obnoxious
>annoying
>cancelled

I dont know what youre talking bout

Reported. This level of bullying and targeted harassment are not allowed on Sup Forums. The vitriolic hate speech and genocidal rhetoric you have aimed at me is disgusting and I won't stand for it. I don't appreciate the racism, Islamophobia and homophobia that you are spewing. I reject your hate and denounce this literal violence.

Had nothing to do with who was more worthy of the show. Leno had better people, simple as that. Legendarily so.

what the...?

>Jay isn't liberal

Citation?

As far as I know, while Jay Leno doesn't like to give out money publicly, he has funnelled tens of millions of dollars to "women's rights in third world" charity run by his wife.

>loud
>obnoxious
>annoying
>cancelled

That's Conan alright.