Are 4K Blu-Rays a meme or are they the future of physical media?

Are 4K Blu-Rays a meme or are they the future of physical media?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's only a small difference really between 1080p and 4k. We've reached the point of diminishing returns.

4k alone is a meme but 4k with HDR is great
the big problem is that there is little to no watchable content thats true 4k and not upscalled trash

They're legit, I love watching them on my Ipad, you can really see the difference between 1080.

>need an internet connection to watch bought movie
dropped

it's not "the future", it's like going from VHS to SVHS or DVHS

>4K Blu-Rays
The fuck does that mean?

CD-tapes
VHS-DVDs
HD-SD format

It looks mother4kng beautiful.

Anyone else have a KS8000?

Screen goes fucking mega dark anytime something with HDR comes on.

?

>Enhanced AACS 2.0 requires an internet connection during the first playback.

It's not the future of physical media; it's the end of physical media.

4K with HDR is insanely good
Should I get a samsung 4k hdr tv or an lg 4k hdr tv?

Not with the retarded DRM they are pushing

When you have a 4K TV and the BD's physical size is more like 100-200GB, then yes, they'll be a real thing.

Trying to cram 4K on 50 GB is dumb.

Umm.

Can't afford a 4K TV. I hate being a poorfag :(

I got a 55" for like $500

are you fucking retarded?

The Last Stand of physical media but a really shitty one because the real last stand was Blu Ray.

Nobody will give a fuck. Blu Ray was the last of the actual, tangible physical media. Sony could have perpetuated it but they decided to be assholes as usual.

HDR is just pumping up contrast, brightness, and saturation, resulting in color crush.

4k TV's are cheap as fuck these days. I've seen 50" ones for $200.

Because everyone already has a huge television and 50gb 4K is fucking retarded.

4K BDs are up to 100GB

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

Wrong. Hdr is an expanded color pallete.

This makes the picture as close to the original print shown in theaters. That isnt a meme. Lgs 4k superhdr tv has a billion color possibilities per pixel.

That's nice, some hour long movies will look pretty good.

>shilling HDR

... yea okay

Its just bumping saturation, brightness, and contrast, resulting in a loss of color data.

Literally where?

No it isn't Half Blood Princes 4K hdr looks like it did in theaters and looks impressively better than the bluray. No color or data loss. Of course the treatment has to be good for the 4K hdr to look good

>harry potter fan
>believes HDR isn't bullshit

... well, can't fault you for consistent characterization.

Probably one of those garbage off brand Hisense/RCA TVs during Black Friday

>has no argument
>no eyes setup or taste
>has offered nothing to the conversation but complaining

They put in so much DRM, it's not even funny.

To play 4K Blu-ray on PC, you need the latest Kaby Lake processors which can execute encrypted binaries and then the player software runs arbitrary encrypted code on the Blu-ray disc to decrypt the video.

They could be loading botnet. You can't know because the decryption programs are encrypted themselves and run in the processor in special DRM mode.

I have the 55" KS7000 and noticed that it was a little darker than I'd expect it to be whilst watching the Death Note movie on Netflix in HDR.

>when shills encounter facts

Liking harry potter what a fucking pleb

4k Blu-ray is wonderful.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon looks phenomenal.

I will worry about 4K when an OLED 65" television sells for less than $2000.

4k requires at least 60mb of bitrate, not to mention HDR and uncompressed audio. Internet streaming just can't compete.

Harry potter is better than most shit posted about here. I'm sorry you never had any friends to go to the cinema with to see them.

>facts
Lmao poorfag

4k bluray panty screenshtos?

i hope so, anything is better than the streaming-industrial complex

Lol

What's the point in watching most movies in 4K?
It's really only worth it for stuff like Lawrence of Arabia and LOTR (and I say that as someone with a 4K tv).

>future of physical media
>future
>physical media
physical media is already turning into purely a collector thing, there is no reason to own physical media even if you have trash internet nowadays

>Are 4K Blu-Rays a meme or are they the future of physical media?

The future of physical media is that there will be no physical media.

Hollywood’s plan is perpetual payments via streaming of ALL content, forcing consumers to pay and pay again anytime they watch something.

>they can barely give away 4K panels

>LOL UR POOR!!

... no one is buying the pieces of shit.

I think discs don't have much longer left. Solid state memory is so cheap now that companies may decide to release movies in a 4k prestige format that uses a cartridge. I'm sure most home video collection would enjoy having a more substantial and hardy piece of media to hold in their hands.

They are trash films that I can barely remember. The books are trash too and I have read them all.

That said, I did enjoy seeing the movies in theaters with friends. Also the books were cool back in middle school.

Lol, bluray is fucking cheaper then renting a movie on google or amazon. They have much higher quality then YIFI or any other pirated garbage. way better encoding, uncompressed audio, If you have dolby its amazing. blurays are also not connected to a jew owned Amazon or youtuble account.

Don't get me wrong, I pirate shit all the time. But if I want to see a movie at its best quality, I get physical media.

disks are pretty good. They are way cheaper to make for how much is on them. 100 gigs on a UHD disk. You will not see SD cheaper then that for some time.

Discs will stick around for a little while because you can't stamp out 400 SSDs with content a minute.

>physical media
>future

pick one

It's kinda a meme. Film has a set image clarity at a certain point 4k transfers of film won't look too much better than 1080 transfers without altering the image digitally. Don't get me wrong it's still an improvement but not as much as say a digitally shot film's 1080 BD vs 4k BD. Maybe someday there will be good movies shot with 8k but right now all the best films are older ones shot on film with non HDR cinema projectors in mind.

Enjoy streaming from netflix and paying $9 to watch a trash low bitrate stream of a movie on amazon or youtube.

>but piracy.
most pritated copies suck ass. I still pirate but fuck the shit audio, bad encoding and low bitrate. Also, the crack down on that shit is real in the JewSA.

You would not need to. So few people will be buying physical media there won't be demand. The few that are left will be willing to pay a premium for amounts to an oversized case for a 128gb SD card.

>implying i watch movies
>not sleeping all day and living in dreams while being intermittently woken for biological habits

convenience trumps all that

game over the second they put DRM and advertisements you cant skip when im just trying to watch a damn movie

underrated

>Lol, bluray is fucking cheaper then renting a movie on google or amazon

You can't apply that to every movie. It would be nice if it were true though.

Once you get married, own a house and when your living room is pretty much a home theater, you really can tell the difference between YIFI, blueray and UHD.

Ya, pirating is fine if you have never seen the movie or you don't like the movie that much, or the movie looks even in HD.

We all lived in the barracks, the dorms, the shitty apartment and watched pirtated movies on our laptop or PC. watching axxo AVI movies was fine back then. Once you have money, its worth paying extra for the highest possible quality for your favorite movie.

They're working at two mutually incompatible goals.

Chasing higher resolutions means filesizes balloon like crazy. When people realize they can't actually stream at 4K quality they won't be willing to pay for it. Higher resolutions will require physical releases for the forseeable future.

This.

retards on here think they are getting real 4k on netflix.

lg oled

If retards can't tell the difference between streamed 1080p and BD 1080p, what the ever loving fuck makes you think they'll be able to tell the difference between streamed 4k and BD4k?

Then Hollywood will ask why they're sinking money into 4K if consumers are too stupid to notice.

Because home theater whores like me will be buying them.

its a planned obsolescence model to keep people re-buying the same movie multiple times.

having more color variants is precisely the point not to have crushed colors. HDR on OLED is the future user

You can get them as low as 200$ maybe even lower

4k is getting near the end of the line. Most digital movies are shot in less then 4k. Film will benefit the most, for the first time you will be able to watch film in a quality that matches theaters. That means you can watch lotr the way it was seen in theaters. 30mm and 70mm look insane.

4k is flawed though. 8k is already in the works. But we are getting closer to the point of redundancy.

Sure thing pleb

t. Idiot who doesn't know what a remux is

Future of physical media.

>he downloads remuxs of 4k.

top fucking kek.
Look piracy is cool, secret clubs are cool. Hell I say God speed to you. Don't give these greedy jew companies a fucking dime, I mean it. I don't even think IP should exist, at least in its modern form. And guess what, I will keep pirating jew of thrones and movies I have never seen. But, don't try to tell me that a $5 for a used bluray at halfpriced books is a bad deal if its your favorite movie. Don't try to tell me that buying a 4k bluray of your favorite movie isn't worth it.

If you are a complete poor fag. Please, keep pirating and seeding. But for those of us who have money. Buying 4k physical media is nothing. My poor fag tenets more then pay for my hobbies.

I only own like 20 bluray and 6 4k movies.

If you can barely remember them you're infinitetly more retarded than I originally thought. I saw the last four when I was 17-21 almost all are kino.

t. Pleb (and confirmed autist)

retail discs aren't worth any amount of money due to the amount of unskippable bullshit present before the movie actually starts.

>he doesn't have a remote to skip

Wrong HDR is all about Luminance, not colour instead of having a light scale from 0 to 127 it's now 0 to 1024 I think. So more variation from total black to total white. Wide Colour Gamut is more colours from 8 bits millions of colours to 10 bit billions. Digital cinema cameras are now up to 12 bit colour.

A good 1080p rip, one that has minimal pixelation and 7.1, can be about 15Gb to download. 4K will be about a billion gigs and there's no way anyone sane will download/stream something of that size.

Hdr with 4k m80

>a billion gigs for 4K

Wot?

I'm happy watching stuff on my huge 720p projector

>projector
>720p

This and this.

>4k alone is a meme but 4k with HDR is great

this

>Screen goes fucking mega dark anytime something with HDR comes on.

calibrate your settings, idiot

I'm really curious about when this is gonna end. Wonder if 8k will catch on. I mean, at some point size of monitors and TVs will become unreasonable and resolution won't matter

>not having an internet connection

Already obsolete. They don't even support high frame rate (120fps or faster).

>4k TV's are cheap as fuck these days. I've seen 50" ones for $200.

The prices are dropping for those because they don't have HDR. Waste of money.

>Its just bumping saturation, brightness, and contrast, resulting in a loss of color data.

You don't understand HDR. It's an expanded color gamut, you retard.

>Internet streaming just can't compete.

We will all have 100/100 fiber or better one day.

I have gigabit fiber already in the US.

Sup Forums pls go

>Once you have money, its worth paying extra for the highest possible quality for your favorite movie.

I have money and I still pirate Blurays. They look great on my TV. Waiting for OLED to drop before I buy one.

>But if I want to see a movie at its best quality, I get physical media
BD Remux retard

>Wonder if 8k will catch on.

8K is already being prototyped and shown in conventions.

We will get 16K and 32K and it won't stop until we hit the technology plateau.

>bluray is fucking cheaper then renting a movie on google or amazon. They have much higher quality then YIFI or any other pirated garbage.

You know you can pirate the exact same data from the Bluray disc, right?

There is no reason to buy Blurays at all. You talk about Jews but you still give them money for Chinese plastic.