Why do American towns look like shit?

Here is an average English city, Rotherham

Even though it's a pretty poor city, it still looks 100x nicer than the average small American city of comparable size to Rotherham

The average American city block looks like garbage. Why is this? Is it because America doesn't have the history that other countries do?

Attached: Rotherham_montage.jpg (955x1951, 417K)

Other urls found in this thread:

francisfrith.com/blackburn/photos/
francisfrith.com/preston/photos
forbes.com/sites/scottbeyer/2016/08/26/americas-ugly-strip-malls-were-caused-by-government-regulation/#126b54a05ca1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cuz infrastructure

because England has history?

here is downtown phoenix in comparison

Attached: PhoenixArizonaDowntown.jpg (1024x665, 717K)

America's got a lot, but history is not one of those things.

They don't.

No pedestrian culture. Hard to make a village center look nice when everything has to be car-accessible and have a parking lot.

As a matter of fact a whole bunch of it. What are you, Polish or something?

>No pedestrian culture. Hard to make a village center look nice when everything has to be car-accessible and have a parking lot.

yeah this is the problem
is there anything USA can do to actively stop car culture?

No it's true
this is what the center of every city in the US looks like

Attached: LA City Center.jpg (1280x720, 207K)

They exist.

Winchester, Virginia.

Attached: 67739804-8C90-4AD8-9B31-1284B2552053.png (1500x620, 1.7M)

Car centric corruption
Postmodernism trash
Concrete box obsession
Soulless Faux European architecture
Lack of mass public transit

kill yourself OP, and then go back wherever you're from and kill yourself again

Attached: 4B94E33D-C6DC-47A6-98B9-1FFE238B1CBA.jpg (1600x999, 643K)

Because our societies and then by extension city planning evolved in a different way than the Euros you fucking autist. You can train your way through 5 different countries in 5 hours in Europe while in America you can drive 5 hours and still be in the same state. Car culture evolved because our country is fucking massive.

Quaint Euro villages evolved from centuries old villages which were built around everyone walking/riding their horses around.

This isn't difficult.

>is there anything USA can do to actively stop car culture?
separating into two countries and nuking each other

I suppose an 89iq like you is qualified to say that, you're a disgrace, get out of my country

Well tbf phoenix is a shithole. The aerial shot isn't that bad but once you actually drive around you would think you're in mexico

This

They don't. You're just an autist.

>is there anything USA can do to actively stop car culture?
Not really. Unlike euros whose car culture had to adapt to euro villages and towns that were already set up hundreds of years before cars were even a thing, US cities were specifically built around car use. Some cities even in the midwest and the further west you go, are more car driven as those cities weren't built until cars were already a big thing

Mighty triggered there, son.

go blow your dad

Cars are essential here, same and Canada.
There are still many cities with old colonial era architecture
Public transit exists in all major cities

There are towns in America that are younger than their residents

Attached: 1513531279779.jpg (1200x1800, 329K)

Your mom wrote an article about you

Attached: file.png (2302x1205, 316K)

The area surrounding Phoenix is beautiful this time of year. It'd be a lot nicer and a lot more unique if they got rid of the palm trees and used some of the native flora.

Attached: SonoranSpring.jpg (610x433, 112K)

you just lost the argument

*licks you*

you should consider suicide

I have considered it and decided against it

We have quant towns on the east coast.

Attached: Mike M (33).jpg (4000x2666, 2.05M)

*licks ur taint*

well, at least part of you has the idea

>717 KB JPG
>here is downtown phoenix in comparison
You're looking at relatively new cities.

English towns looked a lot better in the past in my opinion
francisfrith.com/blackburn/photos/
francisfrith.com/preston/photos
not really worth going to nowadays

Go back to /r9k/ you pathetic worm.

(You)

America should scrap suburbs and build high in the city.

Turn the former suburbs into nature/woodlands.

High speed rail between cities. High speed internet too.

I have helped the environment, the obesity problem, made america look less shit and improved the economy.

>yank going on the Rotherham Wikipedia article
Cringe

>You're looking at relatively new cities.
why do you say this like it's an excuse?

And posting a 2 MB image of Phoenix won't make it less of a shithole

This is what the city center of virtually all small towns in the US looks like

no walkable areas, just a fucking main street, called "University Ave" or "Center street" or some shit

surrounded by miles upon miles of strip malls and suburbs with small shit houses

Attached: p1040733jpg.jpg (1200x600, 170K)

because building shitty tower blocks to house growing populations worked so well for the UK

>America should scrap suburbs and build high in the city.
Some people don't like that. They like to have more space than what a normal apartment gives.

beautiful main street in Sheridan Wyoming

I guarantee all the people in this pic voted for trump

Attached: Downtown-Sheridan.jpg (1550x1080, 1.05M)

Why do retards like you type in such a confrontational yet passive-aggressive manner? Did your mother not teach you to talk to people, you fucking cretin?

I'm replying to your idiotic post.

Attached: ayyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg (1085x1165, 90K)

This is what 95% of settled areas look like in the Midwest. The rest are cities like (just with more snow) and tiny college towns that look like

The American Experience

Attached: amba0004.jpg (4000x3000, 2.29M)

they don't.

Australia looks like a cleaner Florida

oh boy, I can't wait to go to my local strip mall and get mexican takeout for dinner today

The first picture looks very suburban american.
And you can cherry pick both nice and ugly towns in both countries. /thread

So learn from our mistakes and build nice tower blocks. Encourage intercity rivalry's about who can build the most spacious, most environmentally friendly, most aesthetic tower blocks.

What kind of schlub can't cook a meal on the range at home?

forbes.com/sites/scottbeyer/2016/08/26/americas-ugly-strip-malls-were-caused-by-government-regulation/#126b54a05ca1

this is why strip malls are so common in USA

I wish I lived in Japan

meant to post this pic

every city in the USA is composed of 95% gas stations and strip malls like this

Attached: stripmall-1.jpg (573x332, 69K)

You can't manufacture interest in so pointless and fruitless a subject.

>The first picture looks very suburban american.

But the street is curved instead of being a straight, 90 degree angle

Attached: American city.jpg (1280x790, 451K)

that is not an american city

>one big, semi tall building
>surrounded by dozens of miles of single story shithole buildings

this is quintessential american city design

Attached: oklahoma-city-1024x710.jpg (1024x710, 211K)

no

You don't need to manufacture it. When people are living in a city, taking public transport, eating in the city, having nights out in there, working in the city they start taking pride in the people, venues, activities and architecture of their city.

that already happens in the US though?

favelas in Brazil look nicer than most american cities

Attached: valparaiso-299087.jpg (2956x1920, 872K)

get the fuck out of this country already

The USA has lots of great buildings

Attached: 2922351069_2bd99e5496_b.jpg (1024x768, 470K)

>tfw Gothic Art Deco is dead and it's never coming back

Attached: 29e.jpg (600x885, 35K)

That looks like shit.

Residential areas:
>all suburbs developed since the 1940s are completely isolated from the actual cities they extend from
>many suburbs don't even have sidewalks, further enforcing a feeling of isolation
>tract suburbs are usually completely soulless and all houses within them look exactly the same
>suburban residences since the 1980s and '90s are absolutely fucking enormous for the sake of being "luxurious", which means they are slapped together as quickly and cheaply as possible by either individuals or contractors (usually contractors) and consist of low-quality wood framing covered in siding veneers made of horrendous imitation materials such as flimsy strips of textured plastic that you could tear off with your own hands instead of actual clapboards, hollow "stucco" literally made of foam and cardboard that you could kick a hole through, and various other low-budget-theme-park-in-a-third-world-country-style amenities such as metal window frames wracked with unnatural seams, fake "window muntins" that are nothing more than thin, flat strips of plastic that are installed within a single, undivided window sash and don't actually have any panes to divide, and hollow metal columns with slats on their bases
>The average suburban house is a "snout house", meaning that the garage dominates the street frontage while everything else is set back. This results in a disconnection between the house and its own motherfucking neighborhood due to the lack of a porch or an inviting front door.

(Continued in next post)

Neogothic is enduring to the time when even death may die.

Attached: gotham.jpg (1202x1800, 184K)

Looks like Barad Dur.

muh affordability. at least that's the case in the midwest. can't speak for the rest of the nation, but where i live is fucking trash. ain't shit to do for a young person

am*rican architecture is shit because am*ricans are shit

give it a gleaming sun and it's not nearly as gritty

Attached: Nicest building you'll ever meet.jpg (1779x2369, 674K)

>That looks like shit.
looks better than phoenix

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|͡͡͡ ▫͡ ͡͡π͡͡ ͡▫͡͡ |̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

american infastructure is better than the infastructure in whatever shithole country you are from

It has to do with american zoning laws. Because you cant have stores in residential districts, it's going to be hard to walk to go to the store. At that point, might as well bunch all of your stores in a single area and have massive surburbias surrounding it.

I think the max amount of characters in the name space is 50

Attached: 1455245018537.jpg (1121x1334, 372K)

>I showed you my dick answer me

Attached: Niagara Mohawk Building2015-02-24-dl-grid4jpg-c480fa8773787557.jpg (2048x1225, 343K)

>living in usa
>not living in one of the old, east coast cities that is completely walkable

i have to drive for at least ten minutes just to get to a gas station. twenty if i want to eat somewhere with edible food. living in the country does have perks though

Attached: mackinac island.jpg (3008x2000, 3.42M)

what? you don't like palm trees?

American cities are pretty cool but it's true that the vast majority of them are architecturally bland. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, sure, they have a unique character to them but that's it pretty much. The thing about american cities is that they are essentially all build the same because of their strict zoning laws.

A downtown with high rises and skyscrapers. Parking lots if the city is still developing. Someone on r/urbanplanning explained it some time ago:

>When I was in architecture school in the 90's one of our professors for our urban design course told us that the surface parking lots weren't the end result, but a device to get to the end result.

>So let's say a developer has plans for some massive development that requires the full block, and the block previously would have had 20-30 smaller older buildings. The develop buys them up one by one to assemble his portfolio. but he razes them, to lower his property tax burden, and he can still earn money on a surface car park. In the process of doing this, he also starts to lower the value of the surrounding land, making it cheaper for him to buy the other parcels. Unfortunately what can happen is that the market tanks and there is no demand for the new project that they were trying to assemble the land for, so then they're left with a completely destroyed block.

Did you know that 15% of Los Angeles are parking lots. Fucking disgusting.

Anyway. Outwards from the Downtown you will have mid-high buildings with business and shops. And from there on it's essentially just hundreds of kilometers of single family houses. American cities are so disgustingly sprawled, it's impossible to have any kind of urban life really. A huge part of American cities are really just single family homes with a strip mall near by.

Seriously, make yourself a tea and check out google maps and look at American, Canadian and Mexican cities. They are literally build like colonies.

Attached: Denver_1970.jpg (1024x690, 291K)

are you complaining about the distance you have to travel after having moved to the middle of nowhere? or what?

It's because the north and west are uncultured. Here is superior small town texas.

Attached: mckinney-main-street.jpg (550x287, 43K)

texas is as far from that as it comes

Attached: Document.jpg (1700x712, 303K)

>McMansions are by far the worst, as they are such a shameful, inexcusable waste of resources and such an infuriating display of bad taste being passed off as "CULTURED" that they genuinely make me angry and sad. Every single last aspect of the McMansion is packed to the breaking point with issues. First of all, they exhibit all of the problems mentioned previously (except for the snout-garage issue) and amplify them tenfold. They are unnecessarily huge and completely phony, are located in isolated fields that more often than not lack sidewalks, and they're all constructed using the same two or three plans when they happen to be built in tract neighborhoods, which, by the way, creates a terrifying, soul-crushing, uncanny-valley-tier visual, like the result of a bunch of aliens attempting to replicate the French or Mediterranean countryside or something. >McMansions butcher every single rule of architecture: massing, balance, rhythm, unity, you name it. They all look like three to five normally-sized houses smashed together into an abominable hulking mass that looks like it wants to eat it surroundings, and they're incoherent clusterfucks of unrelated styles and incorrect, terribly-replicated traditional detailing. It's sometimes hard to believe just how backwards, fucked up, and shamelessly lazy the embellishments and style-combinations on so many McMansions are.
All in all, American suburbs consist of a bunch of enormous, pretentious cardboard boxes with no architectural integrity planted in the middle of an isolated field that cannot be navigated in or out of without a car.

The next post will cover commercial districts.

Look how nice it is here, does any anons live in mckinney?

Attached: cfiles72864.jpg (600x399, 157K)

American cities were mostly built after the invention of the automobile and steel. This affected how roads were laid out and what kinds of structures were built, as well as how people decided to distribute themselves.

horrible american city coming through

Attached: duluth 1909.jpg (3500x2934, 1.51M)

no, i'm not complaining

>American cities were mostly built after the invention of the automobile

this is 100% incorrect

we even got british style pubs

Attached: DSC0009.jpg (4608x3072, 3.57M)

what a hipstery thing to transplant

That's literally from a texas town. you can keep telling yourself that but you'd be wrong

as far from culture you dingus

This place is only nice because they banned motor vehicles.

>political and economic power has shifted to suburbs since white flight ran its course
>car-centric culture
>cheap construction, disposable architecture
all three of this are linked

>a grid pattern isn't bad per se, but it's not my taste

>nearly every city was a laid out on a grid, even 17th century planned ones, only a handful of cities are the exception to this

I could gone about either historical trends or modern urban planning but these threads usually don't go anywhere

I really don't know why you think there's anything special about these pictures