/lang/ – Language Learning General

Make French relevant again! edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums wiki (feel free to contribute)
>4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
MEGA folder with books for all kinds of languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Old

Attached: lang_op4.png (800x600, 587K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0E8aZVadMdR
theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/20/macron-launches-drive-to-boost-french-language-around-world
youtu.be/TEEC1mkGDEw
koreanwikiproject.com/wiki/Learn_hangeul
vocaroo.com/i/s0Yyn0Aq436s
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Norwegian
youtube.com/watch?v=v9aZsmE7INg
youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-WPREZdkI
yourdailygerman.com/da-words-meaning-german/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ded

Branlet here, what the fuck does "conditionnel" mean?

I believe you use it for "i would do this" and similar sentences

So hypothetical situations?

Yes

Thank you user.

>six in french = six in english
wtf I'm fluent in French now

bum ping

>Join Runescape in target language
>Find big area
>...
What the fuck do you guys talk to people about? Specially with a limited vocabulary.

I'd like to know the answer to this myself.

>play M&B North and South
>still plenty of time before the linebattle starts
>join ts
>join french channel
>take out your ridiculous cliche french accent
>user: "HONHONHON, Salut, mes jolies pedes !" (Hello, my pretty faggots !")
>everyone is laughing their arses off
>One of them responds: "Qu'est-ce que tu as bu ?" ("What did you drink ?")
>user: "HONHONHONHON, Une biiiieeere, un booon vinnn blannnc et une grosse bite !" ("A beer, a good white wine and a big dick !")
>everyone breaks out in laughter
Pretty much this.

Attached: french.jpg (298x400, 29K)

Bump

Bump

No. For conditional situations; 'hypothetical' doesn't quite encompass the idea.

A conditional sentence is where one clause depends on, or can happen only when, some other clause.

> If you post this, I'll be happy.
> Had you read this, you'd know

Conditional sentences in English usually have some kind of 'if', 'since', 'when', etc., construction in them.

>reading target language threads in Sup Forums (Lithuanian)
>find its had actually improved my confidence when speaking to Lithuanan colleagues

good feel...plus it is helping me retain words better, even when doing other shit at the same time. Really wish I could get cracking with Polish though...

Let me try.
>Because i'm a faggot, I must fill my self with dicks.

So conditionnel is where the first half depends on the second, and without the second half, the first half would be grammatically incorrect?

>If I'm a faggot, I must fill myself with dicks

Yes, but it does not have to be 'first half' and 'second half', as the two halves can usually be swapped.

> if you're rich, life is easy
> life is easy, if you're rich

The two halves can be designated 'apodosis' (the condition) and 'protasis' (the result).

And your example sentence isn't conditional, as the 'because...' clause has already happened.

>Because i'm a faggot, I must fill my self with dicks.
Nope. This is "indicatif". « Parce que je suis une tapette, je dois me gaver de bites. »

Conditionnel goes « Si j'étais une tapette, je me gaverais de bites. » (If I was a faggot, I would fill myself with dicks.)

You have to have a conditional element in your sentence.

To activate your almonds even further, there are at least six types of conditional sentence.

Anglos really should learn Latin before anything else. It's mandatory.

If you want to improve your English...

This sentence is a contrafactual present conditional sentence, so it requires the English subjunctive in the apodosis:

> If I *were* a faggot, I would fill myself with dicks.

>six types of conditional sentences
How the fuck?
So the difference between indicatif and conditonnel sentences is that indicatif has already happened and conditionnel is something that hasn't happened?

since macrons announcement i have dropped german in favor of french.

anyone else doing the same?

Oh, that's right. Thanks for pointing it out.

>indicatif has already happened
Indicatif is a mode, not a tense. You can express past, present and future in this mode.

>conditionnel is something that hasn't happened
Rather: that may or may not happen. And it's also a mode, not a tense.

The 'indicative' is a mood where something has happened, is happening, or will (definitely) happen.

The 'conditional' is a mood where something 'could', 'should', or 'would' happen (if something else happened, happens, or will happen).

The six type of conditional are:

1. Present factual
> If I am a boy, I have a penis.

2. Past factual
> If I (ever) had a penis, I was a boy.

3. Future vivid
> If I am a writer (in the future), I shall write books.
Most other languages would put a future tense construction in the apodosis here ('If I shall be a writer...')

4. Future less vivid
> I would be a writer, if I should write better.

5. Contrafactual present
> If I were a writer, I would write lots of books.

6. Contrafactual past
> If I had been a writer, I would have written lots of books.

And to add more complexity, some or most of these can be mixed: e.g. a less vivid future with a present factual.

Languages, my dude. More difficult than most people think.

German is a meme language anyways

So the difference between the two is that indicatif is certain and conditionnel is a possibility?
And also i'm not really understanding the difference between contrafactual and factual, or vivid and less vivid. Is less vivid where the "if" statement comes after the other statement?

Contra suggests it did not happen, factual suggests it has.

> So the difference between the two is that indicatif is certain and conditionnel is a possibility?
Yes.

> Factual
The condition is, or could be, true.
> If I am a boy, I have a penis.
> If A, then B

> Contrafactual
The condition is known not to be true at the current time.
> If I were a writer, I would write lots of books.
> If I were a writer (and I am not)

> If I had been a writer, I would have written lots of books.
> If I had been a writer (and I wasn't)

> Vivid
> If I am a writer (in the future), I shall write books.
> If A in future, then B

> Less vivid
> I would be a writer, if I should write better.
> If possibly A, then possibly B.

The difference is subtle, but is easily recognisable in English (at least) because less vivid conditionals usually have 'should' or 'would' in them; vivid future conditionals do not.

Anyone needing help with portuguese?

why don't we vocaroo something?
post something in French please, I wanna give it a try

here's some Italian if someone's interested

Ora è accaduto per la seconda volta, nel volgere di un decennio, che il popolo italiano - nella sua parte migliore - ha scavalcato un Ministero e si è dato un Governo al di fuori, al disopra e contro ogni designazione del Parlamento. Il decennio di cui vi parlo sta fra il maggio del 1915 e l'ottobre del 1922. Lascio ai melanconici zelatori del supercostituzionalismo il compito di dissertare più o meno lamentosamente su ciò. Io affermo che la rivoluzione ha i suoi diritti. Aggiungo, perché ognuno lo sappia, che io sono qui per difendere e potenziare al massimo grado la rivoluzione delle «camicie nere», inserendola intimamente come forza di sviluppo, di progresso e di equilibrio nella storia della Nazione. Mi sono rifiutato di stravincere, e potevo stravincere. Mi sono imposto dei limiti. Mi sono detto che la migliore saggezza è quella che non ci abbandona dopo la vittoria. Con 300 mila giovani armati di tutto punto, decisi a tutto e quasi misticamente pronti ad un mio ordine, io potevo castigare tutti coloro che hanno diffamato e tentato di infangare il Fascismo. Potevo fare di questa Aula sorda e grigia un bivacco di manipoli: potevo sprangare il Parlamento e costituire un Governo esclusivamente di fascisti. Potevo: ma non ho, almeno in questo primo tempo, voluto.

vocaroo.com/i/s0E8aZVadMdR

Hey guys, I'm trying to get better at Spanish. Does anyone have good recommendations of Spanish media (Books, websites, youtube channels, etc.) to give me? It doesn't need to be anything related with learning the language, I just want something that'll keep me in contact with it.

Attached: images.jpg (428x344, 19K)

Why is Sup Forums such a cesspool of endless useless content? Threads like this one should be the norm, not the struggling exception.

Fuck Brits particularly, hope they get banned from accessing Sup Forums soon.

why does the daily japanese and sino thread get revived or reach 300 posts so much, but not us?

Can someone teach me to speak Polish?

Because this thread is too scatterbrained to work.
Almost everyone is learning at a casual pace, and even if they are invested into learning, this thread is so generic that it doesn't serve the purpose of an information exchange platform - unless you're talking about methods that apply to all languages, or meta-learning.

The most informative posts in this thread are British, you cockweasel.

what announcement?

theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/20/macron-launches-drive-to-boost-french-language-around-world

we french nao

does this mean i can get paid to learn french

Yes, I've been watching Council of Europe broadcasts. They used to do all broadcasts in English. Now a lot are in French

>He isn't learning languages like in Dexter's Laboratory
youtu.be/TEEC1mkGDEw
What's wrong with you?

Did anyone start learning their current studied language in school? How much did it help?

>Did anyone start learning their current studied language in school?
I studied French and English in school
>How much did it help?
not much until I took an English course at the university

what exercises did you do in school? We did
> count numbers
> memorize vocabulary
> memorize poems and short stories
> read conversations in textbook
> quizzes in textbooks

in school (elementary school) we basically conjugated verbs all day long and that's it. we would also play holiday themed bingo. french education in canada is terrible.

Nous avons
vous avez
tu as
j'ai

etc. etc.

Because by the time this board was created, which I know to some newfags seems like a while ago, this site was already trashed up so unlike boards that had a golden age like Sup Forums and Sup Forums which are not full of plebbitors and Footbookers per set but just people with a single-minded hatred of everything Sup Forums stands for and tactically choose the right time and place to unleash cancers like the latest frog or feel variants that a human being out there actually spent time making - instead of boards like that, Sup Forums was made at a later period so it's just full of ordinary plebbitors and Footbookers who are not cunningly choosing the time and place to destroy this site but just go on in an endless stream of sub-mediocrity as economic migrantz

>being this mad about reaction images

Attached: images-2.jpg (329x399, 21K)

Because they have a common objective. Each one of us is learning whatever. There are some people learning French for example but it's not enough to create a new general. Same for other languages.

Because Sup Forums became /vg/ but for countries.

Calling a spade a spade =/= being mad.

Doesn't atone for the existence of /brit/.

>Oh no stop posting frogs, they hurt me
What a gigantic faggot

Wow I can't believe there are so many people learning moonrunes that it can sustain its own general

Can anyone recommend a Hangul learning guide for complete beginners? Something equivalent to how DJT recommends Tae Kim and Anki.

Get lingodeer. Do all the hangul levels and practice writing them out yourself. Get video of how to pronounce them too. Korean is pretty hard man but nothing we can't handle.

There are a lot of poser neo-weeaboos out there, unfortunately.

Stop posting frogs. They hurt me. There, I said it. I know I'm the first one on this site to ever criticize the almighty amphibian, but hey, I'm edgy.

what the FUCK is the icelandic general called? i can't find it worth a fuck

By poster neo weeaboos, you mean people who like anime but won't learn Japanese?

I used this koreanwikiproject.com/wiki/Learn_hangeul and picked it up pretty quickly

Pepe was always a shit OC. Clownpiece on the other hand.

Attached: 19a8c0191571467d8b7049b90cd2918ecd2395e61ac4635d6552cfcfc1ac2243.png (1060x488, 228K)

probably because as lot of people are here are interested in Japanese content, more so than any other country.

The only other way to help the situation is to find generals of the target language and use them to develop, but you just have to hope that posters there will help you improve...or maybe even try and push/promote target /lang/ threads harder, I dunno. Lots of people want to learn Russian it seems, do they have a learning general?

Blatant fucking lie

bumparoo

Bump for don't forget to filter cancerous generals

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 00.42.55-fullpage.png (1903x1887, 1.68M)

leave /mämmipizza/ out of it pls

Attached: 1507400974388.png (1280x853, 2.19M)

I kinda wish language learning was an accepted part of the regional generals for Germans, Dutch, Fins, etc.

I think generally when it comes to language learning there is only so much to talk about besides specific examples like "what does this mean in this context" that native speakers would have to answer. hence why i think it would be cool if the generals were more accepting of learners because the questions would be readily answered.

any good audiobooks for spanish that are not michel thomas (already listened) - preferably castilian.

HAHAAH

Have you at least read the thread? It is true.

How do you say "you're out!" or "you're it" in German

By out, I mean in a game setting like
> Tag
I touch you, you are "it"

> Dodge ball
I hit you with the ball, and now you are "out"

Can anyone translate this drunk Dutch for me? was sent to my gf last night and we can't tell if her work colleague has a thing for her or not.

'Ma ik had wel gestuurd cor tiete piks'

Do you have any first-grade book recommendations? Portugal preferred, but Brazil will do too. I usually enjoy books from school programs.

1#
"Du bist !"
lit. ( You are ! )
2#
Du bist draußen./ Du bist rauß.
lit. ( You are out.) note that the second one is more colloquial.

>sino not cancer
I liked it at first but now every time I go in this thread I only see wannabe sexpats talking about WMAF and NOTHING else, it got old really fast.

Attached: 1521740276962.gif (788x641, 402K)

hangul is fugging easy to learn.

you're always here Prussian Hans ^_^ I can always count on you

> Sagenhalft? Sie wird immer schneller.
> Sie gewinnt die beste Tempo als ich.

vocaroo.com/i/s0Yyn0Aq436s

First sentence is without mistakes, well done my Anglophone friend.

Second one was on the right way but you messed up the gender, since Tempo is neuter and misheard "besser" (better) for "beste" (best).
>"Sie gewinnt 'n besseres Tempo als ich."
To explain this crippled "ein" in there: In collquial speech some tend to use instead of 'ein' and 'eine', 'n and 'ne.

Attached: Entschlossenheit.jpg (654x600, 95K)

I've just fathomed the da- words in German I think

Attached: 1479208071364.png (230x328, 11K)

It's too garbled for me to tell

Congrats friend. Would you mind if asked some questions about Polish?

So...how do I improve my english pronunciation?

I've been practising my english over years thanks to the internet, games and literature to an extended level but I still seem to struggle in the vocal part. It's so bad that even people in discord have the impression that I'm a complete different person once they voice chat with me instead of writing.

Kinda depresses me desu.

Attached: 1514594524902.png (600x888, 740K)

ok sure

>I kinda wish language learning was an accepted part of the regional generals for Germans, Dutch, Fins, etc.
Sadly this was one of the central points when generals were created "a place where learners could easily find and practise with native speakers". I remember that /luso/ for example, used to have in each OP links to duolingo and other sources to learn portuguese.
The thing is this board used to have threads about travel tips, learning about a country's culture, history and language. However, as time passed it became Sup Forums with flags. I remember noticing an expressive dip in quality weeks after /his/ was created.
Since all we had in the catalog were shitty bait threads, generals became more and more a safe space and a chat room for a secluded group (they kinda already were before but it became more apparent) and thusly generals lost their welcoming trait.

1. Does "obiad" mean lunch or supper? My memrise courses disagree on this

2. While i was translating a Polish song i came across this sentence:"Nawet kiedy będę sam nie zmienię się, to nie mój swiat".
I translated this as "Even when i will be alone i don't change myself, that's not my world"
But "That's not my world" Does not really fit in the context. does it have a different poetic meaning or did i just translate it wrong?

It means neither, as meals in Poland are at different times. Obiad is eaten around 4-5 PM when you come home from work. (earlier on Saturdays and Sundays) It is like dinner, a large meal, 2 courses etc, but just earlier

About the song, yes it has a poetic meaning, and I actually have no idea what the author meant by this, you would never hear someone say this that's for sure. It does not make any sense outside of poems and songs, but I think this is the case in many languages and songs

I want to start learning Norwegian but the links on this page 4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Norwegian are dead, and I'm kind of afraid to use torrents anyway since I don't have a VPN or any experience in it
What's a good place to start from?

what language does doodlebob speak?
youtube.com/watch?v=v9aZsmE7INg

how do I stop myself from aspirating consonants

youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-WPREZdkI

does it sound like Russian? Because it's not, it's a dialect

>I'm kind of afraid to use torrents
wanted to laugh at you but then checked flag. It must be scary to live in a police state. Anyway, if you're really afraid you can get ProtonVPN, you probably need Protonmail account for it to work, but it's totally free. AFAIR for the first week they give you trial Premium account which means access to a wider range of IPs

It'd be easier to judge with a video of someone speaking it, rather than singing it.

i hate those words

how long did it take?

Please post the /lang/ kanatas

Attached: 1516231813357.gif (533x468, 424K)

I read some article on the internet and I was like 'oh yeah I get it'
Not saying I mastered them, not at all, but before I didn't know what the fuck that was

can you share the article?

yourdailygerman.com/da-words-meaning-german/

bump