The Divine Comedy

When will we get a faithful adaptation of Dante's Divine Comedy (or at least The Inferno)? Just imagine something with imagery akin to Gustave Dore's drawings (pic related)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NKlhqYJOAsI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never, its too rooted in the political climate of the day.

Elaborate?

>divine comedy
>it's actually not a comedy at all

What did dante-kun mean by this?

It wouldn't be profitable if it was faithful.

Most people who watch movies probably haven't read The Divine Comedy. And if they had, they didn't remember or understand it.

Also, isn't that shitty Robin Williams "What Dreams May Come" movie partially inspired by Dante? It had some similar visuals in there at one point.

Then it could deviate from the source material a little bit, make Dante a mix between the poem and some sort of cool templar knight to appeal to the general masses

not the first guy but there's a lot of references to various people from Dante's life. He was a very political person, and incorporated quite a few enemies and friends in different places of the poem. Even setting this aside, the poem also presents a thoroughly medieval understanding of the world that wouldn't work for a modern audience. They would understand the demons=bad n shit on the surface that we still have pieces of in a western/pseudochristian culture, but all the medieval science and the funky medieval philosophy would be impenetrable. It would just confuse folks.

this is literally the videogame Dante's Inferno. which come to think of it, would probably work.

>greek philosophers that never heard of jebus because he wasn't born yet (straight to hell)
>don't believe in jebus (straight to hell)
>sodomy (straight to hell)

I would like to see it, just for the triggering

The first bit is not entirely true. There are many examples of Dante mentioning science and praising it which many people (the ones he criticized) didn't really appreciate. First example that comes to mind is the mention of a round Earth and the praise of experimental studies.

But like you said in the second part, something similar to that videogame could work, but maybe a little less action based cause it would quickly turn to this year's King Arthur and we don't really want that lol

comedy didn't use to mean "funny", its basically the opposite of tragedy, which has a downer ending. comedy: ends in a good note

Yeah but they went to Limbo and they're pretty chill there, sitting around and talking, discussing shit and stuff

This guy is right on the money
>user's Inferno:
>"Ch. 1-8 I go to hell and theres rapists and murderers and all this terrible shit"
>"Ch. 9 "This is the last, and worst layer and boy of boy guess who is here? Bernie, and Hilary and they're being buttfucked by satan cause thats what they goddamn deserve"
>"Epilogue: Trump (my guide) and I ascend into heaven like we deserve cause we're good little Democratic Capitalists, AND YOU CAN TOO"

This might be the closest thing we'll ever get

youtu.be/NKlhqYJOAsI

>sodomy (straight to hell)
not to go Sup Forums mode now but this is pretty logical if you think about it, anal sex is extremely degenerate

were tragedies just cautionary tales? sorry I started with the greeks but didn't quite get this

Jumped through random bits, the imagery is pretty well done.. who would play Vergil and who would play Dante if something like this were made today?

Dude. Morals don't come from biology or any sort of inherent 'goodness'. They're defined by white patriarchy.

You have to understand that every art in Greece is trying to provoke an epiphany, because for them this is the greatest "feeling" art can achieve. So, if you read any tragedy it'll have a big plot twist (that's the motif of the epiphany) which means someone will get fucked. It's not that they are cautionary tales, they try to apply some morals or values so it won't be just a plot based entertainment.

cast dante

Robin Williams

Is it the most influential book on Hollywood? I can't help but think a lot of movies are using it as a pattern.

wat