/djt/ - Daily Japanese Thread #1989.75

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread: * Approximating #1990 in an asymptotic manner

Attached: djt13.jpg (1218x908, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aozora.gr.jp/cards/000264/files/42773_39853.html
news.livedoor.com/
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
aozora.gr.jp
japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-にほかならない-ni-hoka-naranai/
core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/286.html
izumibashi.com/diary/1162/
kotobank.jp/word/追い酒-448457
youtube.com/watch?v=P8BkFCkWvvU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What was the first book you read (or plan to read) in full entirely in Japanese?

I'm planning on starting with Romeo and Juliet for my first book in Japanese, since I already know the story, so I shouldn't have as much issues with interpretation. This will help me focus more on the vocab and grammar

A modern translation? I just looked at the version on Aozora and that would be suicide for a beginner.
aozora.gr.jp/cards/000264/files/42773_39853.html

The first manga I read was Yotsuba. First VN was Flyable Heart. First novel was 夜は短し歩けよ乙女.

>I'm planning on starting with Romeo and Juliet for my first book in Japanese
this would wreck your shit beyond recognition and you'd learn only little from it

>What was the first book you read (or plan to read) in full entirely in Japanese?

星の王子さま

As is tradition.

青鳥文庫の?

No, just a pdf translation of it I found floating around, but thanks for the tip!

They have a lot of french classics translated in japanese like les miserables,

Can anyone comment on reading something in Japanese that's translated from a language that you don't know? On one hand it's not technically native material, but it is marketed towards native speakers. If the book interests me, should I just read it?

>If the book interests me, should I just read it?
The answer is always yes.

In addition, a good translation will always be in a way that it comes across as natural to the reader. Literal translations are pointless, except to illustrate an interesting form of phrasing. Traduire, c'est trahir. No translation is ever just a translation, it is a recreation.

Other than /djt/ and the Sup Forums Japanese Thread, what other websites do you read for practice?

news.livedoor.com/
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

ハチ子の話 and the story about the もも and 大名
Granted, this was a very short book but it did help me with my confidence and practice in the beginning

Incorrect. If you don't know the language, it doesn't make any difference whether you're learning Ancient Japanese or Modern. It will all look alien and begin to make more sense as you progress.
It will probably be a waste of time, but in terms of difficulty, it shouldn't vary much for someone going blind.

What about shit subs?

With enough repetition having something badly translated once out of 10 times you see it won't affect anything

>>aozora.gr.jp

The "Aozora Bunko(青空文庫)" is a classic library. It is free and legal. But, I do not recommend it to foreigner. Because it is hard to read, even for (modern) Japanese.

To mine 顳顬 in kanji or to mine it in kana, that is the question.

I really don't understand why they don't simplify 20+ strokes kanji.
They're often a fucking eyesore.

I guess no one really cares in the digital age. Plus, the more wild the kanji is, the easier it is to remember the words that use it even if it is more difficult to remember the full details of its shape.

>Suddenly lots of "one-reading-only" kanji

Aww yissss, early Christmas

I mine everything in kanji because autism and pride

I sometimes think learning Chinese is easier, even though they use more kanji, because they mostly have only one reading

>顳顬
こめかみ (temple)

But, most Japanese do not use this kanji.
It is too complicated, and too difficult.

>I mine everything in kanji because autism and pride
Same.
>But, most Japanese do not use this kanji.
I imagine. I just don't want to run into it in its kanji form because some author is being cheeky and not recognize it. Thank you though.

New cards before, during or after reviews?
What do you guys prefer?

Attached: 1514335152475.jpg (1920x1200, 659K)

During, of course.

after reviews, because reviews are for previous knowledge?

During. I feel like I have to hit again on the new cards more often if they arrive consecutively than if it's 5~ at a time with reviews mixed in.

i've been running during reviews since the beginning, but im always struggeling with the last 50ish cards which take atleast twice at much time as the rest of the cards. Thinking about changing it up too see if it will help my retention

>one-reading-only
That is until you cross paths with it being used as a substitute for a normal jouyou kanji to make it fancy, and learn that's common practice.

Attached: 1509286104258.jpg (1024x878, 96K)

It might raise the percentage, but I doubt it will actually benefit you.

Dekinai is pleased today.
You may get below 90% retention without being punished this time.

Attached: 1517995534048.png (728x524, 314K)

Shhh, let me dream

After review, because I don't like having to look down only to realize "of course I don't remember this, I've never even seen it before". Also, that way I can check my stats-for-the-day before the new ones mess them up.

perhaps reduce the amount of cards in review rather than changing up when you learn new cards? I think your brain might not like it if you switch to a different style so suddenly

thanks guys, il experiment around a bit in the next week and see what sticks

old Kanji (ancient Chinese) → Japanese.
Latin → English.
Both, They simplify it. And only few (smart) people use it today.

So, if you (even we) use only "常用漢字"(Kanji commonly used), you do not have any problem.

頑張れ!

Jouyou Kanji should be enough then?

Who created the anki deck lads? Does anyone know? I got to past the core 2k, and the normal male voice actor has been replaced by a different voice actor. The female one is still the same. Some of the pronunciation by this new voice actor seems off. Did anyone else get this vibe?

It is enough for us to live.
For example, newspaper express only using it (as possible).

>www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
Does easy mean it's literally easier to read?

Right now I'm using Kanji Study to learn Kanji meanings and stroke order/how to draw them.
I've been studying them by JLPT levels, have learned pretty much all N5 and N4 Kanji, and just 100 from N3

I'm wondering if I should swap over to Jouyou listing sorting on the left. To learn it by grades instead. It looks a bit more organized and compact.

Attached: 12d.jpg (1060x943, 258K)

Yes, they're articles that are rewritten to ~N3 level: simplified vocabulary, sentence structure, shorter length.

Clicking on "通常のニュース原稿はこちら" in each article will redirect you to the original article.

Easier to read than the regular version by virtue of using common vocab and dropping pretty much all jargon.
Once you get to the point where you can read it without looking more than one word up per article, or less, you'll be ready to ready Regular NHK News.
Though at that point, you'll notice that the grammar in Regular isn't really more complex than that of Easy's; most of the new grammar you'll learn there is stuff that's easy to grasp, stuff like 敢えて which just gets tacked on to the beginning of a sentence.
The real challenge of Regular comes from trudging through boring ass topics in order to increase the size of your lexicon.

>us
sure thing debito

how are hispanics viewed in japan

>total reviews studied over the past 30 days
>23,000
Learning Japanese is hell lads

Just got into Tokyo, already was offered to buy sex services walking around hotel for 3 min kek

I just got 胡瓜 and 孤児 mixed up, had some giggles.

Attached: 1501578336934.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Makes no difference, grade order goes from simplest to most complex, JLPT goes in order for the tests.

You could instead go via the RTK or KKLC order, since they teach similar kanji all at once as it teaches you how to differentiate between them.

>read for 7~ hours today
>only mined 300~ words
The benefits of sticking with one work.
Time for bed though.
Bump.

Either you read very fast, or you're overmining.
I started reading at 8k and ever since then I've never mined more than 20 words an hour.

when I read more than maybe 4 hours I get really exhausted eventually and sleep like a baby that day

Attached: 1505563475639.jpg (1024x945, 66K)

bump

blump

I just want sweet death to come and take me, gently.

Attached: 1519984601774.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

これ、皮肉の意味ではないけど

I agree. I have better retention on words with "complex" Kanji than with seemingly simple ones.
Communist China actually did that and it looks shit.

>お前らのような才能溢れる高校生は世界の希望にほかなりません。
What's this? The first part is easy to translate but the last part
>世界の希望にほかなりません。
is confusing.

What mobile apps do you guys recommend for learning/studying on the go?

Also, after getting the Kana down, should I move to grammar or Kanji?

japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-にほかならない-ni-hoka-naranai/

basically ~nobody but bla bla super smart you becomes the world's hope~

The only app that I would recommend is Anki. Other than that, just get a pdf or something of the grammar reference of your choice.
Thanks!

>~nobody but bla bla super smart you becomes the world's hope~

Pretty sure it has to be "you are nothing less than the world's hope" grammatically.

as you can guess I don't really care for literal translations, but I always understood this phrase as ~there's no alternative/substitute or other explanation/reason etc. for whatever (happens)~

DoJG says
>A phrase that is used to indicate that an action/state mentioned in the topic phrase or clause is nothing but something.
core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/286.html

モーツァルトの音楽は天使の声にほかならない。
correct: Mozart's music is nothing but an angel's voice.
not: Nothing but Mozart's music becomes an angel's voice.

>Mozart's music is nothing but an angel's voice
maybe I explained it shitty, but that's what I meant

Can anyone explain this usage of 追い to me? What does 追いいちご mean?

Attached: 286.jpg (836x1200, 290K)

I'm guessing it's steps in a recipe so

"Followed by (adding) X", in this case: イチゴ (strawberries)

I'm pretty sure adding 追い to the front makes it a noun, I'm just not sure what it means.
izumibashi.com/diary/1162/

Could be an analogy to this?

kotobank.jp/word/追い酒-448457
追い酒
酒を十分に飲んだうえに、さらに飲む酒。

So like "adding way more than needed"?

It's my first read. I think I only knew about 3k before starting. But yeah I am kinda liberal (inefficient) with what I mine. I think some compounds I could probably leave out/break apart. Some of these are obvious like 生まれ変わる and 大きめ but I choose to mine them anyway just cause I wanna remember that they exist.

Attached: Last 20.png (189x459, 10K)

>started learning japanese in april 2017
>if i was actually dedicated to learning japanese then i could at least be semi-fluent by now

Attached: 1516598357437.jpg (225x224, 5K)

yea no, it takes more time than that

Nah senpai, I started on February 2017 and I still fucking suck. About N4 level maybe.

生きる。
笑う。
愛する。

Didn't mean to reply

Well, it's okay to have a few compound verbs just so you get used to the concept, but avoid mining every single one from now on, or you'll never finish the job.
I only mine compounds if they don't have intuitive meanings.
Remember: Anki is training your passive vocabulary, the ability to recognize words in the wild. If it's intuitive, it means you already know it passively.

Posting on this board for the first time. I can dedicate around 3-4 hours a day. Should I do 2 hours of Heisig and 2 hours of Genki, or is it best to do the two textbooks in isolation?

you can do Heisig on the side, but it should never be the only thing you do

Make use of apps and cut that time down:

>Half hour of Heisig Kanji
>Half hour of Anki 6k vocab
>Half hour of listening
>Half hour of writing/grammar
>Half hour of reading/manga
>Half hour of music/tv/drama/anime

Think of Heisig in terms of kanji a day, not hours. Doing 30 a day lets you finish in ~100 days, for instance.
Once it's ogre, you can allot that time to do other stuff.

If you have 2 hours to spend on it, all the better - practice your WRITING of the kanji, putting the keywords on the front face of the card.

ADHD, the post.

Thanks for the response, yeah I figured I could get the first part in roughly a week (I’m not sure if I’m over or under estimating we’ll see).
So for SRS cards you recommend to put the keyword and then I, idk write he kanji out, and see if I’m write?

Alright that’s what I was thinking, I was seeing mad posts about which one to do first and I could never find anyone saying that they were doing them at the same time.

Yes. That way you won't mix up kanji when learning vocabulary.
I "know" 3500 kanji but I stil get shit like 雄 and 雅 wrong because I skipped individual kanji study.

(Could have sworn I had sent this message over 30 minutes ago).

back to page one

Any other apps on android like Ganma?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-26-15-14-40.png (1080x1920, 2.48M)

>due tomorrow: 280

Attached: 1504484543557s.jpg (246x250, 7K)

What is it do?

>GANMA! - オリジナル漫画が全話無料で読み放題

Anyone got any recommendations for a relatively easy fantasy or scifi LN that is not kino's journey?

I meant still relatively easy but harder to read

First manga is 文豪ストレイドッグス. It's probably too advanced for me, but I like it so oh well. I started learning two months ago and I can read a good amount of it well.

You can't even keep a sleep schedule.

Attached: 1495428379708.png (242x185, 37K)

>4am here; woke up 2 hours ago

f-fuck you

Attached: 1341794455695.png (645x773, 53K)

Who cares about physical health when you're so lazy that you'll procrastinate from being productive by studying?

fucked up my sleeping schedule by an hour a week ago and now I'm half as productive and focused during the day

youtube.com/watch?v=P8BkFCkWvvU

Attached: famitiki.jpg (1280x720, 128K)

I'm literally in tears right now. I'm dreading doing my reps tomorrow because I'm just going to get all of these words wrong again. What do I do?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 11.27.18 PM.png (656x218, 76K)

>sleep schedule
Sleep schedules are a meme.