Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13870391
youtube.com/watch?v=j8-KTdNdizE
youtube.com/watch?v=U1-31cSNhPU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>no set design, feels empty and lifeless
>no interesting ideas for storylines and generally bad writing
>relies on gimmicks only instead
>those are unoriginal or just bad, unfortunately ("fuck you, albert", glove, andy and lucy, coordinates, riddles, ...)
>bad acting (Bell, Lynch, Horse, Robertson, Dern, ...)
>dull characters (one-dimensional at best)
>storylines and characters are introduced for no purpose
>everything is supposed to weirdly connect and make sense
>shot in digital in a way that doesn't compensate for the technology's disadvantages (looks bad)
>roadhouse scenes (out of place, badly shot, the songs, the bands, the extras, ...)
>student-tier storytelling/editing (characters are shown walking up complete sets of stairs)
>stretched out needlessly, long takes have no particular effect
>obviously delusional and/or inexperienced fanbase perceiving it as particularly meaningful, complex or "deep"
>can't compare to the original series that doesn't have those problems (coherent/complex and beautiful sets, costumes and make-up/well shot/well acted/well written/magnificent multi-dimensional characters and character relations, music, storylines and gimmicks/creates a unique athmosphere as a result, changing the world of television forever whereas "the return" neither manages to do something established really good nor to invent something new)
>extended pitch black scenes because of a lack of a competent cinematographer
>audio issues with microphone static left unaddressed because of poor sound design
>extremely poor editing with magically disappearing extras and production staff accidentally walking into frame
>somehow the best thing in tv history

friendly reminder that doppelcoop did nothing wrong and Cooper was the real fuck-up the entire time

strawpoll.me/13870391
strawpoll.me/13870391
strawpoll.me/13870391
strawpoll.me/13870391

VOTE

Reminder that /tpg/ has invested so much into Twin Peaks that they are currently pretending the finale wasn't utter dog shit.

I want to cuddle under the blankets with a hot cup of coffee in Laura and Audrey's cabin!

I think the true key to unlocking the enigmatic ending of the cinematic master piece known as Twin Peaks: The Return lies in an overlooked line spoken by the character Gordon Cole who is portrayed by the visionary extraordinaire himself, David Lynch. Agent Albert Rosenfield insinuates that Cole has "Gone soft in his old age" to which Cole retorts that he is "Still hard where it counts". To the unseasoned viewer, this exchange may seem like nothing more than a sexual innuendo but a seasoned Lynch scholar such as myself is able to discern its true meaning. When Cole states that he is hard where it counts, he is not referring to his ability to perform sexually. Instead, he is referring to David Lynch's "hard" stance when it comes to his cinematic principles and themes. One would expect David Lynch to reward viewers of Twin Peaks: The Return with a sense of finality after 25 years of waiting patiently or that Showtime would pressure him to give the series an ending typical of network tv. In true Lynchian fashion, Lynch has given us an ending reminiscent of his other works such as Mullohand Drive or Lost Highway. An explainable ending would have been indicative of Lynch getting soft in his old age, the ending we are treated to truly reinforces the idea that Lynch is still hard where it counts; his directorial ethics.

>which finale part was better
>no "both" option

Fuck you, OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=j8-KTdNdizE

This is my first /tpg/ since the finale

How is everyone doing?

this was a nice ride

goodbye fellas

no need for a new season

>being a cop-out fag

Pick one, pussy

>ywn be sandwiched between 1990 Sheryl and 2017 Sheryl

what doth life

Call me a pleb but it was all a bit too much for me. Just gonna re-watch the first 2 seasons

I'm ok.
):

It's not hard to say at all. If you don't get that his entire MO (modus operandi) is creating art that embodies the necessity for love and compassion in a dark and chaotic world, you haven't really been following his work or career.

I mean that's literally the entire key to the White Lodge, as spoken by Garland.

implying that he isn't sincere about Denise is also just plain crazy talk.

Explain this
youtube.com/watch?v=U1-31cSNhPU

Is FWWM the second time Laura dies, or the first?

Or, is it the N time it happens, as it is an infinite Loop?

fine, I'm feeling very inspired by the ending.

>it all feels like the same show
Why do normies pretend the Return isn't like Twin Peaks again?

Getting too many Lost Highway flashbacks.

Do you guys think there will be deleted scenes on the blu ray?

Hopefully they keep this ending and stop. There don't need to be anymore seasons/episodes, because in the end Cooper never escapes the cycle of trying to be the infallible hero (he was damned as soon as he stepped foot inside the lodge).

Cooper was a man always trying to overcome his demons instead of letting go of them. He had multiple chances to walk away from the madness that he found himself in, but chose to keep wading forward through it all anyway, because after all there had to be a meaning/purpose to all of this right (Bob, Laura, Fireman, Judy, etc.)? He was in over his head from the very beginning, dealing with metaphysical principles outside of human understanding, but his damn stubbornness and spiritual beliefs led us to believe that he would come out on top of this in the end.

His pride in his beliefs, his certainty in the face of uncertainty, led him full circle quite literally. It appears that he's likely inside another lodge, within a different reality where everything has changed, and yet again is out of his element (but Cooper will confidently/defiantly wade on anyway, Laura will give him the breadcrumbs that drive him forward). The poor bastard will likely continue trying to save Laura Palmer, solve the mystery of the lodges, and everything else until his demise.

The final credits lead me to believe that Cooper finally understands how ignorant he was of the tragic situation that he created for himself previously, possibly the futility of Laura Palmer's situation, and yet still Cooper will wade forward.

Thank God I'm not alone. Sup Forums always subscribes to the darkest route as a general rule, but goddamn it gets to me sometimes.

That would be heaven.

that part was fucking kino

The ending bummed me out like nothing else. But I've been thinking a lot about it since. There can be no good ending. All good endings are just stories and dreams. All the real endings are sudden and everything gets dark after that.
Twin Peaks was never meant to be pretty or satisfying. Lynch drove that point home very clearly.

imagine if they both pinned you down and did dirty things to you hahaha wouldn't that be the worst

17 was happy, then sad, like the ride was over.

18 left me terrified. And I'm so glad.

sounds like a little projection on your part, friendo

FWWM was a definitive ending too, but he always has hanging threads: Chalfonts, Agent Desmond, Convenience Store/Motel/Mauve Zone, Richard/Linda timeline

he has ways to return.. so to speak.

But to be realistically morbid about it, Lynch is also too old to keep doing TP for much longer, if at all. Especially given his other interests with painting, music, exhibitions, commercials, future movies, etc.

We only get him for another 10 or 15 years tops. cherish him while he's here.

yeah, I found the ending dark and sad, but it made me feel very satisfied (and frustrated, but not in an entirely bad way). Call me a pleb, but it inspired me to write a fic about one of the theories I read about. that's been very cozy. And don't worry, the initial hype is still strong, but /tpg/ will calm down soon enough and not be so overdramatic about it all.

This guy is gradually losing both his sanity and identity, and is trapped in a never-ending inter-dimensional hell.

Say something nice about him!

What does /tpg/ think about Harry Dean Stanton?

>implying that he isn't sincere about Denise is also just plain crazy talk.
Watch it again and tell me he wasn't disgusted by Denise talking about her hormones. Denise definitely didn't raise her voice enough for his earphones to act up.

: - ) ALL.

Disappointed. I don't necessarily hate the idea of the finale but the whole episode being so fucking boring and dragged out really got to me. Surely there was a better way could have done that thing.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO BE SO CONTRARIAN EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME

NO
NO NO

THERE IS NO WAY THAT 18 WAS BETTER THAN 17

GO FUCKING NUKE YOURSELVES

This guy gets it. Which is why the ending left me kind of cold. There seemed to be no triumph of love (Blue Velvet, Straight Story) or even comfort in the possibility of love (Eraserhead, FWWM) or even punishment over a failure to love unselfishly (Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive). There just seemed to be an exposed nihilistic core at the end that felt off from all of Lynchs other work.

here
remember that, coop

>it all feels like the same show
It really doesn't

Also the only character that is really shown in that video across both series is Cole, and there's a huge difference. He was a jolly cunt in the original.

The whole episode was.

Still some shitposters lurking but for the most part it's turned into actual discussion

first time I've stayed in /tpg/ for more than 10 minutes, been chatting all day

Carl was an useless character. They should have left him out.

lynched

I accidently watched ep18 then ep 17 and i am actually really happy and content and ended it on a high

>TFW you accidently avoid a major lynching
>god re arranged my media playlist that day

atleast every girl you ever met wanted to bone u

Legendary and I'm excited for that film coming out starring him and featuring David Lynch.

>i don't like your opinion so its not real lol

The Bob punching scene was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

The finale was odd but intriguing, but I liked it mostly because it upset so many redditers

It was the best episode of the whole show.

>contrarian
user pls. 18 was better imo, but I don't mind if people liked 17 more. there's nothing contrarian about it.

I love this reply because people probably acted the exact same way for the S2 finale 25 years ago. the bank guy walking so slowly, Coop's extended Black Lodge scenes, absolutely no closure.

Lynch is only doing what he's always done.

Judy is being set up as the new antagonist and Sarah crying out to Laura at the end was actually Judy reaching out to Richard and Carrie in the new world.

*blocks your path*

"What year is this?"

I don't see it.

Cooper, for once, got a direct instruction from the Fireman, wrapped up BOB, and went to get Laura, which is apparently part of a long-running plot to deal with Judy.

This season showcased a world without Dale Cooper, with 25 years of BOB running amok and the Black Lodge seeping into reality. Woodsmen are everywhere, people get mysteriously killed and nobody's able to stop the murderous spirits (who don't even need to possess people to kill now), portals to the Lodges are opening and not just in Twin Peaks, children going crazy/zombielike etc. Finally beating BOB and getting the old gang together, as heartwarming as it was, was not enough to protect the world from the evil that filled it. Cooper deciding to just stop would only mean that the other dark spirits would have free reign, even with BOB gone for good.

Cooper has to keep fighting.

but he was the best character this season

What you think?
My Theory is that Cooper was in the dream reality since he saw Naido. I think Naido is Judy not Sarah like everyone says. Everything after that is Cooper's subconscious being used to trap him in the nightmare world that Judy controls.
That's what the final scene is showing, Cooper and probably the real Laura trapped in a nightmare. The final scene is Laura realizing the truth and the false reality she was living comes crashing down.

Then she preceded to steal Laura from Coop and send her to another dimension instead as another person. Coop may have realised this and went after her, but Judy foiled him with the Chalfonts/Tremonds.

He lost.

Lets say Laura "wakes up" from this nightmare when she hears her mom calling for her and the power goes out. What happens to Coop as this artificial Judy dimension collapses?

This. There are two Lynches. Old fashioned guy David was disgusted. Business Man David that wants to sell you $5,000 meditation lessons was happy.

I'm scared of Judy.

Twin Peaks related or something else?

I saw it as bittersweet. Cooper's soul was destined to keep Laura's soul safe from Judy across time and space. His test was to accept this eternal struggle, and he did so with perfect courage by the end.
He'll never get his ending, because his existence will never end. That said he did have a vacation of sorts as Dougie. In a way that's a way to see life. We go through good, happy times, and sad, dark times in measures. One always gives in to the other and we just have to take what we can get and enjoy what we have.
That's one of the things I got out of it.

it was pretty funny in a good way imo, I enjoyed it.

18 was better though.

>that tit
nice

I've never seen an episode of Twin Peaks.
Can I start at the last episode or do I have to watch the other three seasons and two movies to know whats going on?

so now that coop and laura are stuck alone in an alternate reality, can we expect to have season 4 exclusively focused on them battling judy as they fall in love and have hot uncomfortable sex with each other

Part 17 was dumb, user. Why do you think it is contrarian to prefer 18?

somebody link the thread right after the finale please

What happens to the people in your dreams when you wake up?

He'll keep fighting for ever. Don't forget, Philip Jeffries showed Cooper an infinity sign before allowing him to travel to the past.

Anyone else really like the show moment to moment but think the overall plot sucked ass? The whole Judy bullshit and Laura is the one crap was lame but each scene was beautiful.

based

She stole Laura by killing her using her henchmen BoB

Cooper undid that, and outsmarted Judy. Judy tried to trick coop into leaving the house but he kept asking questions, leading to Laura's awakening

>there are people here right now who posted on Sup Forums during the finale

read the pastebin

Yeah it's personal and gross like menopause and periods and poops. It wasn't a reaction to Diane as a trans person you mongoloid.

I always thought the red room floor looked a bit like the folding pattern of our brains.

Thoughts on 17 being almost a whole point higher than 18? I thought 18 was much better in how crazy it was and not being as fan-servicey as 17, but I'm guessing angry viewers are voting 18 at a 1/10.

took you a long time to copy that pasta? it sure did took me a sec to know you are full of shit saludos

LYNCHING in real time

Cooper had the instructions on how to go to Judy's from Jeffries and Fireman from before he "lost" Laura.

And even with him confused in the end, Laura realizes who she is, so his plan started working.

I find The Return to be the perfect bookend for Lynch's career.

I think the most accepted reading of Eraserhead is that it embodies the anxieties Lynch had most at the time, mainly a fear of fatherhood and the responsibilities of being a 20-something (with horror scenes made up of working class life, meeting his girlfriend's parents, adulterous thoughts, etc). Young Lynch made a horror movie out of everything he was feeling at that age.

TPTR is the same thing fifty years later, but replace the anxieties of a 20-something with those of today's Lynch. The anxieties of the new season are all about growing old and a world which changes around you. Some people stay the same, but the world is still different and scary. Cooper can never return because the world he knows is gone, and of course the past is unnatainable as well. Episode 18 feels like the terrified journey of two old souls, trying to revisit a place from their youth but everything is different now and the people they once knew are gone. The optimistic "everything will be fine" of Eraserhead is replaced with the terror and confusion of "what year is this?"

Season 2 finale is fucking awesome though. Even if there never was any continuation it's still a great piece of television. The season 3 finale is just so fucking boring and dull. Aside from sex with Diane and the last scene it's not scary or emotional or even really interesting in any way.

thank you my friend, hope you have nice day/night

Twin Peaks related, yeah. I thought it was gonna be short, but I'm at 7 pages and over 3k words already and not even half-way done. it's been cozy writing it and trying to fit all that we saw in the Return together with the og show.
that's an interesting way of looking it. I thinking something similar as well, since I don't think Cooper's gonna be truly free of his task related to Laura, but there are bright spots in everything.

I just cant keep thinking about how something was wrong with Cooper in the finale.

Who else can't decide if this was pure fucking genius or just overrated crap?

It was Lynch giving normies the Dragonball Z ending they wanted, all while employing a Brechtian distancing technique of the viewer's reflection, reminding us that what we are seeing is a dream, a fiction, a narrative construct, that only serves to underscore the truth of what the artist is trying to say through image.

>listening to Garden of Delete before and inbetween watching two last episodes
>tfw Animals gets interhangably associated with the ending in my brain
I didn't want those feels

Look at me. Blink. Breathe. Read me with your full concentration. Now: Game of thrones is the epitome of tv. It has it's ups and downs but so does a rollercoaster. You still feel the adrenaline, the rush, the excitement, and relief that it has ended, it's a ride, a joy, a life experience my friend. No other show can give this gift of emotions. Name one show. Just one. Go on. Pause and think. Oh.... you can't? I know. Because it's impossible my friend,