What does Sup Forums think of my analysis of Rick and Morty!?

The act of watching an episode like "Pickle Rick" is simply humbling. I've written about Rick & Morty before, a show whose genius moves so fast you can barely keep up with it. I'd argue it's actually different from, say, the work of Steven Moffat, which can so often land brilliantly, but at his worst, you feel him cheating and wanting to skip all the hard work that actually makes grand reveals functional. But with Rick & Morty, there's rarely a misstep and the math always adds up. Even at its rapid, ever-changing pace, the ideas being put forth fit the dramatized actions and conflicts, they speak to the inner turmoil of the characters, and they get expressed through often dark and heartbreaking catharsis. No, it's a not a show that wants to delight in the reveal, but instead slide into brilliant turns and clarifications as confidently and nonchalantly as Rick does. And while the genius of the show is often attributed to solely Harmon and Roiland, who are no doubt great, we know enough to know that's never the story. Like how last night's episode was written by the great Jessica Gao, it often takes an army. And even now I'm still thinking about what transpired. For the episode brought us squarely into what is the essential crux of the show: Rick's broken system of emotions and reward.In truth, I'm hard pressed to think of a show that has as firm a grasp on psychological acumen as this one. Sure, many shows have brought us deep into the minds and hang-ups of their main characters, from The Sopranos, to Mad Men, to The Wire. Rick & Morty seems to pull it off while doubling down on the ingenious sci-fi conceits that drive each episode. It was "Pickle Rick" that really and truly brought this dynamic to the forefront.

1/6

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's actually kind of remarkable to see Rick so powerless and fucked. But immediately his mind begins working and survival mode kicks in (which is really all he has). He lures a roach and savagely, desperately chews its head until it's dead. From there, he can tongue the bug's nervous system to move its limbs and move himself in turn (it's as gross as it sounds). But of course, Rick quickly adapts to the situation, making his way up the food chain of the sewers, creating a full bug exoskeleton, and then a rat exoskeleton, etc. But then, having conquered the sewers, he emerges to the surface and immediately finds himself in a movie-esque bad guy compound. And now "Pickle Rick" must prove his incredible Die-Hard-esque badassery to survive the horrible onslaught with a ballad of orgasmic violence. This story choice is obvious, for action movies are fun, indulgent, and toxic masculinity to a T. What's perhaps more is the episode manages to casually annihilate about 50 popular action tropes over the course of 14 minutes ("a name like scar" / "jaguar" / etc.), complete with coherent plotting that would put most of those movies to shame. But, of course, it's just all another traditional masculine path of avoidance. For all the while, his family sits in therapy, with Mom refusing to the address the lingering shadow of her father's absence.

But later, having finally survived the heroic escapades, Rick shows up to the therapy session, tired, beaten, and nearly dead. He's done so because this is the seeming right thing to do, but it's more that he's simply too tired to keep avoiding it and he wants the serum back (a mere band-aid for his current problem). Of course, Rick can't keep up his veil of complacency for long, and his disdain for therapy comes out. And it all manifests in what is perhaps the single most brilliant explanation of therapy I've ever seen from a piece of art (and please know that therapy has become something I've come to hold quite dear)...

2/6

Therapist: "Rick, why did you lie to your daughter?"

Rick: "So I wouldn't have to come here."

Therapist: "Why didn't you want to come here?"

Rick: "Because I don't respect therapy. Because I'm a scientist. Because I invent, transform, create, and destroy for a living. And when I don't like something about the world, I change it. And I don't think going to a rented office in a strip mall to listen to some agent of averageness explain which words mean which feelings has ever helped anyone do anything. I think it's helped a lot of people get comfortable and stop panicking, which is a state of mind we value in the animals we eat, but not something I want for myself. I'm not a cow. I'm a pickle - when I feel like it - So... you asked."

Therapist: "Rick. The only connection between your unquestionable intelligence and the sickness destroying your family, is that everyone in your family, you included, use intelligence to justify sickness. You seem to alternate between viewing your own mind as an unstoppable force and as an inescapable curse. And I think it's because the only truly unapproachable concept for you is that it is your mind within your control. You chose to come here, you chose to talk, to belittle my vocation, just as you chose to become a pickle. You are the master of your universe. And yet, you are dripping with rat's blood and feces. Your enormous mind literally vegetating by your own hand. I have no doubt that you would be bored senseless by therapy. The same way I'm bored when I brush my teeth and wipe my ass. Because the thing about repairing, maintaining, and cleaning is - it's NOT an adventure - There's no way to do it so wrong you might die. It's just... work. And the bottom line is some people are okay going to work and some people, well, some people would rather die. Each of us gets to choose."

The stunned silence that follows is the kind that exists only when a horrible-yet-potentially-freeing truth has been unveiled, but nothing is so devastating as the scene that follows. As they drive home, Rick and his daughter apologize with niceties, putting the band aids on their relationship, and ignoring the magnitude of what has actually happened. Her children, Morty and Summer, sit in the back, wide-eyed and terrified about the avoidance they see before them. They sheepishly ask, "Are we going to go back?" and say "I liked her," clearly desperate to go back to therapy, to the person who genuinely might be able to help them all. The want to do the work. But their adult models are too scared of doing the work and facing the truth, so they will recede into themselves. They don't even answer the kids' words. Instead, Grandpa Rick and their mother make plans to go to a bar and drink the truth away... cut to credits.

I LITERALLY shuddered.

4/6 (cont)

As an artistic document, I can think of no bigger indictment of the failures of intelligence than "Pickle Rick." Yes, we no doubt live in a world where a lack of intelligence and a lack of awareness (self or otherwise) fail us at every turn. But intelligence is far from the savior of the basic emotional truths at the heart of the human psyche. Our inability to grasp our own capacity for fear, anger, disgust, sadness and joy is what so easily mars the engine of our selfhood. For the biggest truth always rests in our hearts and bodies. There is no outsmarting it. There is no outrunning it. And yet, we'd rather turn ourselves into pickles instead of facing the obvious darkness in our hearts. Which means, yes, this episode is about our broken emotional systems. It is about the way we come to value certain "positive" traits (like intelligence and power) that we believe will allow us to keep surviving, because we believe they have what allowed us to survive so far. But they will never be enough to make us whole, or even make us balanced. They are just broken systems we keep feeding again and again, confident our little band-aid solutions will fix things simply because they momentarily alleviate the guilt or anger. And that's how we go on, trapped in cycles, succeeding to our own crippling ends, and never addressing the ways we are broken. It is an episode about the ways we lie to ourselves and others. Especially because we know that, in the end, there is only facing the truth. And how we are utterly terrified to do it.

Which is why I become somewhat incensed when flippant people talk about how Rick & Morty is bad because it doesn't aptly "punish" Rick and therefore communicate that he's bad.

5/6

Reddit gold for you

There is probably no comment on the internet that could make me more frustrated. Because if you watch this show and can't understand how it's blatantly condemning even the most "successful" version of Rick's psychology and still tearing it to shreds, then I don't really know what to say. For it's not even the simple confusing depiction and endorsement, nor is it part of the horrid need for abject moralizing in our media... It's just not seeing what's there. And thus it's being mad at the deeply uncomfortable feeling that the show provokes. And as such, like Rick himself, it is just another form of displacement. We want the show to punish someone so we don't have to, and more importantly, not punish ourselves. It is to demand both false truth and false catharsis, all while the show would much rather lay the poisonous truth into us with all the subtleness of a dagger.

Like therapy, like observation, like criticism, like self-reflection... There is only doing the work. These are the most difficult things to do in the world as human beings. But luckily for us, the audience, who gets a chance to look in on art with an open mind and open heart, there is undeniable power in how a simple 22 minute "story" can be the ultimate tool for self-reflection. And in terms of pure storytelling, I am proud to say that Rick & Morty does the work every time.

I can think of nothing so inspiring. 6/6

That's it folks! What did you think?

sounds legit

Thanks good sirs!

Shut up about pickleball rick you cuck

Kill yourself nigger

>reddit and memey
fuck off and go back

You sad cunt

Autism

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Xavier :Renegade Angel. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of shamanism most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Xaviers's spiritualistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Mircea Eliade's literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE-life-life. As a consequence people who dislike Xavier: Renegade Angel truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Xaviers shamanisticial catchphrase "Frutatta," which itself is a cryptic reference to the Spanish egg dish. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Vernon Chapman's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have an Xavier: Renegade Angel tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

>The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of shamanism most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Xaviers's spiritualistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation

that's actually true

Plebs. Guess you didn't really understand the philosophical underpinnings of the episode eh?

Maybe capeshit and GoT is more up your alley.

>Maybe capeshit and GoT is more up your alley.

The irony is that the same people who watch R&M also watch and enjoy these.

A pickle falls in love with a girl pickle.

Unable to confess that god isn't real, he is gifted with by a deus ex pickle with the girl’s pickle number. Never minding the strange pickle code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she doesn't believe in god as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a pickleplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that god isn't real and is not the same pickle he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this pickle at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own pickle self, who too is blissfully unaware of god not being real.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private pickles in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer religion. While the two chase their respective loved pickles, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with atheism and question the NATURE of PICKLE RICK.

FINDS

Already a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

This "meme" died so fast. Just goes to show that moderator approval of memes is the best way to kill them.

can you link to the reddit thread you nicked this from please? i fancy a laugh