Will anything ever surpass growing up with the Harry Potter franchise, either with the movies, the books, or both?

Will anything ever surpass growing up with the Harry Potter franchise, either with the movies, the books, or both?

I think a lot of people who don't like the franchise only watched the movies when they were older, or after they had all come out. But the experience of going through your childhood/teens/adolescence roughly at the same speed as Harry did as the books/movies got released is something very special, and I think it's a large part of what makes it so popular to this day.

Here before the copypasta

"No!"

2 to 3 years in between books after the 4th
2 years between the 2nd and 3rd movie

when there were 4 books and 2 movies I was growing up with potter. but they fucked up and story didnt finish until i was old enough to drink

The books were decent tier at best if you grew up with them at the time. The movies were utter shit.

I was behind Harry by like 3 years and I loved every moment. Don't let fun haters ruin it for you.

I loved this series and still do. Fantasies of inserting yourself into the world is what probably everyone did and is why the franchise is so captivating. You just wanna be in the world so bad.

Can't wait for the pasta claiming atlas shrugged to be God tier. It's always a good laugh.

It really is sad isn't it. Not what's going on in the story mind you, but rather the fact that this poor old codger is trying so hard in vain to bring a level of depth and emotion to one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises, seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

I was an early teenager when the first HP hype started building up, but that kind of fantasy stuff never appealed to me, the same for LOTR or Star Wars, always felt like generic stories coated in a 'unique' setting

I'm from 1992 so I was always a couple years behind Harry in the books, but as the films got released I was usually pretty close to his onscreen age.

>You just wanna be in the world so bad.
I think that's a huge part of it. A lot of polls over the years like "fictional place you most want to live in" had Hogwarts as the top result by a landslide.

I was perfect age when I read philosophers stone and had long since outgrown it when book 7 came out. It's the perfect benchmark for infantilised half-men who didn't grow out of children's lit in time

Sounds like you're just one of those people who don't enjoy fantasy as a genre and that's alright, lots of people don't. If you're more into non-fiction, or more grounded, reality-based stories than things like HP/LOTR/SW isn't going to grab your interest

I think I never really enjoyed live action children stuff, even things like Power Rangers or TMNT never appealed much to me. If any of those were animated I probably would've liked it, even if fantasy.

harry potter movies are gay

Today’s 10 year olds grew up with Game of Thrones.

I click on every Harry Potter thread just to read this

liking harry potter as a kid is fine, it's the people still obsessing about it in their twenties that deserve mockery

I think it's highest achievement (though many people will call it otherwise) was that it got a massive adult following as well. Somehow the story resonated with children as well as their parents, and a huge part of the fanbase still consists of people who were already in their thirties or forties when the phenomenon really took off.

I've always wondered what it was that made adults so interested in what basically started out as a children's novel.

It was pretty inoffensive and had fairly simple prose, so Adults could read it to their children easily

>Will anything ever surpass growing up with the Harry Potter franchise
Growing up without the Internet.

Is the age of YA book crazes over?
There hasn't been one for a few years now, and they were getting weaker every time they were forced.

Well IT and Stranger things are quit popular, so I'd say no.

Yeah, and then when the children went to sleep they started reading the books themselves. It wasn't just because it made for good bed-time stories for young children, there was something about it that made adults into huge fans as well.
Check out youtube footage of book releases, signings, etc. You can easily spot the adults that were there for themselves and not just reluctantly there to accompany their children.

They're popular, but unless I've been living under a rock they're not really YA craze level yet.
I'm just surprised at publishers missing a trick, because for years now I've been seeing shit constantly advertised as the next Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games/etc, and attempts at starting film franchises with established book series.
I guess that slew of book adaptations failing might have halted it a bit.

Like clockwork, kinda of the trek guy and IMAGINE poster

You would be surprised about how many illiterate adults there are.
Harry potter is popcorn-tier of books and the fanbase was cancer

Growing up with it is why I love the series. It was a magical high school man, amazing shit. If I saw it for the first time now i'd look at it the way when I see Peter Jackson fantasy movies, just shit and boring. However I know harry potter is a step above that even without the nostalgia love, the cast it has is pretty incredible with alan rickman and so on too.

I'll never forget the theories waiting between books (nevilles toad is the half blood prince, anyone) and the hype when a new book was released.

Anyone else a HP fan but love this pasta? It's become part of our threads now. It always makes me smirk or laugh.

I'm guessing alot of adults miss the easy school days and hogwarts was the perfect escape fantasy. Taking their kids to the movies would have gotten alot of them into it too.

>perter jackson
I meant to say percy jackson (lightning thief?), those tacky fantasy movies, not actually peter jacksons lotr.

This is the worst version of Alice in Wonderland i've ever seen

>not even changing the first sentences from the MY BOI thread
newfag confirmed, kill yourself

Oh I'm not surprised. Lots of adults mainly read light stuff. I'm just curious about how so many of them got massively into Harry Potter, which focuses on a young teenage boy who can do magic spells and fly on broomsticks.
I dunno, maybe it had something to do with reliving their youth or something, reading about a teenager growing up and making friends, something that made adults think back on times before bills, mortgages, employment etc.

this guy has a pointPlenty of Adults, particularly working class ones, drop reading as a hobby the moment they finish school.
Having a simple and charming book that they can read without being judged is a pretty large reason for its success.

This

>I'll never forget the theories waiting between books
I loved those. I remember the theory that Wormtail's silver hand would be the thing that would kill Lupin, because of the whole silver bullet/werewolf thing. I was a lot younger at the time and I remember thinking that was totally going to happen.

If I'm not banned right now the mods are confirmed for not doing their job

IIRC, It was well marketed, and had some well timed endorsements.
Plenty of Primary schools set it as reading material, too.
Combine that with it not being outright shit (Though Twilight proved that was not a requirement) and you get something that's publicly acceptable to be a fan of and has barely any investment required.

I took a look back at it a while ago, and was amazed that it took barely an hour to read.

It's actually my first time opening the image and holy shit the ayn rand, kanye west and michael jordan book recs just add to the fucking lol factor

I guess I grew up with both to some extent, and appreciate some of the Harry Potter (more the Wizard world, Diagon Alley, Gringots, all the classics) but find the later films a tad bland and boring, but I always greatly preferred Lord of the Rings.

Note, I read the first 4 or so Harry Potters and Return of the King and that was it.

Harry Potter is unironically pretty good.

Growing up with friends

One of the images used for this pasta had this in the middle tier. I don't know why it isn't used anymore.

I liked Goblet of Fire, fight me.

Sure if you have the aboslute worst taste possible

If you haven't read the GoF book, I can see someone enjoying it. I mean it's alright as a movie but damn there is a huge change in tone, atmosphere, music, lighting, the way hogwarts looks, weather, everything, compared to the previous movie (azkaban) because of the director change so it's a huge change. It doesn't help that it has the most plot points cut from any of the other books, including the best parts of the triwizard tournament, the movie version is so lame compared to the books, also theres great characters in that book who are introduced but also cut from the movie.

One problem, if you're into fantasy, is that the films did all they could to ditch the concept of the magical world being separate from the muggle one at around film 3. If anything, they increasingly went with the imagery that anything overly magical was related to the evil side.

It's unironically fucking trash

I read the book when I was 9 or so, don't really remember much of it. I can happily watch Goblet of Fire and enjoy it.

Who/what got cut? Refresh my memory bro

Rippetoe needs to be stopped

some of the games were unironically some of the best rpgs

I had prisoner of azkaban on the game boy advance

harry potter and the philosopher's sneed

>growing up with the REAL Star Wars

mfw ywn enjoy a limited edition a Return of The Jedi Slurpee cup

Ludo bagman character, winky character, hermiones house elf spew shit (thankfully, can see why they cut it) dobby, from the triwizard tournament the 3rd task is changed alot, there's all sorts of shit in there that was removed. Also dumbledores personality, the BEST dursley scene in the book franchise was removed, the quidditch world cup was glossed over, rita skeeter being an animagus and hermione catching her and hermiones whole rivalry with rita removed, amongst other things

Me too user

I like them all. Even the later ones. Half blood prince is comfy as phuoqqqq.

I lolled

Goblet of Fire was my favourite book and least favourite film. They cut out a lot of the stuff that made the plot so interesting. It was basically a whodunnit storyline (who put Harry's name in the Goblet and why) with loads of suspects and hints and red herrings about who the culprit was. They cut Ludo Bagman, a former Quidditch star who was one of the judges for the tournament. He kept offering to help Harry which was very suspicious. They cut 90% of Barty Crouch Jr's story, the way he escaped Azkaban, how he was at the World Cup and stole Harry's wand, how he got into contact with Voldemort, the reason why he resented his father. Dobby was missing. Winky was missing. So much stuff was cut to turn it into a 2 hour film, and all of it was really important to the plot. Without it, the plot still works, but it lost a lot of its charm and many characters suffered from it.
It still gets me angry, thinking about what the film could've been.

why have actual characters from the book when you can have a jarvis cocker cameo?

Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets on GBC, and Prisoner of Azkaban on GBA were really great RPG's. After that the games went a completely different route. I haven't even played any of the games post-Azkaban. Heard Deathly Hallows was basically a first-person shooter but with stunning spells.

yeah growing up with naruto, which is multitudes better, and actually very good for philosophy and lifestyle and so on

As much as you're trolling, part 1 of naruto isn't so bad and has a certain level of comfiness to it, however part 2 especially later on is all kinds of retarded.

i'd rather be inserting myself into mrs weasley if u know what i mean ;^)

>Ludo bagman
Was he just a goblet of fire character or did he ever show up again in the books? Who the hell was he? He can't be that important if they cut him?

im not trolling at all, naruto is fucking amazing, especially if you could afford to skip fillers and watch the actual episodes. except for maybe akatsuki fillers later on.

also EVERYTHING makes sense in the end, it's really good.

I like part 1 before shipuuden, the beginning parts especially with the different 'schools' in the test arc. I think I watched abit furthur than when jiraya dies in shipudden and then gave up. Way too much filler for me. If there's a cut without all the flashbacks and the droning on dialogue i'd probably finish it.

As I remember he's abit like lockhart from chamber of secrets but he's a gambler too and a key suspect as to who put harrys name in the goblet for the tournament since he was previously in azkaban too and keeps secretly helping harry.

you're an animal or what? get a fucking list of episodes on wikia open and skip all filler shit, all episodes came out already, that's what i did with chunks of episodes, like 80-100 episodes, and then forgot about naruto for some time etc.

I know. But even the main episodes themselves are full of filler like I said, endless flashbacks. I remember even in part 1 there's atleast 20 times the same one of naruto on a swing was used.

He's just in GoF, however his name comes up whenever something impossible is supposed to take place, like characters saying ''even bagman wouldn't bet that.'' since he was a huge gambler and won many bets.

never in harry potter threads but is this a controversial opinion? its my favourite one

Nothing will ever match that feel. Its why Harry Potter will always be uniquely ours in a way it can't be for other generations

also not to mention the later/more recent harry potters of the franchise lost their charm that the earliest ones had. it all became too serious

Retired Quidditch player who worked for the Ministry. He was just there as an extra suspect, and there are moments where you think his jovial attitude and kindness to Harry is just an act.
In the end he only tried to help Harry because he bet all his money on Harry winning the tournament, in an attempt to pay off his huge debt to the Goblins. He was also involved in a spat between him and the Weasley twins for him giving fake money after they won a bet.

He wasn't strictly necessary in the movie, but he added a lot to the plot of the book and was an interesting character.

2002 was probably the peak year for fantasy as we got the second part of HP, SW and LotR, so there was like a feeling that there was a lot of fantasy stories developing for real (if you were a kid obviously) and we couldn't wait to see the next episode

>2002 was probably the peak year for fantas
>not now with game of thrones

You 'avin a giggle, m8?
ASoIaF is one of the main reasons it's dying, because it turns out poorly imitating Tolkien or Howard makes for better books than poorly imitating Martin, or worse D&D.

>got
>bad
I hate this meme. Yeah s5, 6 and 7 have dipped in quality but there's a reason it's popular, it's g00d idiot.

"adults"

>it's g00d idiot.
Should have just gone with good. Could have reeled someone in that way

>still doing the got is bad meme
Stop.

go with that off the bat next time, you'll do well.

I read the books growing up and lost interest some time around the 5th book. The 3rd book, like the 3rd film, where the last good entries.

This series is shit and I'm glad I didn't remain a fan of it growing up and am not associated with the literal fucking retards who stuck with it and still like it today. First and foremost all I think of are the frumpy ugly girls from my highschool who went on to get hideous cauldron foot tattoos as part of their fandom.

You're loss.

>A lot of polls over the years like "fictional place you most want to live in" had Hogwarts as the top result by a landslide.
I can see that. Who wants to live in Middle-Earth with war, diseases, and no plumbing? I don't follow Star Wars but from what I've seen it's just barren planets, ugly violent aliens and evil overlords who destroy whole planets.

Nah mate, I'll settle for Hogwarts. A huge castle full of secret passages and rooms to explore, magic potions, great accommodation and catering, opportunity to fly around the grounds on a broomstick. I'd never want to leave, I'd just become a teacher after I finish school so I could be there all the time.

Also because girls don't care about LotR and didn't care about SW before Disney somehow made it a normie thing so they all voted hogwarts

I was an 11-year-old when Order of the Phoenix came out and I'll admit that I struggled with the book a bit at first. It was fucking huge compared to the others which young me found intimidating, plus I was expecting Voldemort action now that he was revived, but instead the whole book focused on the Ministry denying it and covering it up. And all the teen angst Harry had throughout the book didn't resonate with me because I was too young to experience teen angst myself. In the end it turned out to be one of my favourite stories though. Umbridge slowly taking over the school, a lot of Sirius "screentime" which was great, and a definite turning point in the series where it got a hell of a lot darker

Harry Potter is shit. I wish I could completely remove every trace of it from my mind, but it just sits there taking up brain cells. I really hate the films and the books with great passion. I love GoT/ASoIaF as well as LotR and other fantasy films. I just hate that something boring like HP gets lumped into the fantasy genre, and the minute someone mentions it is always such a bummer for me.

I still think they could have done Harry slowly losing his shit in Order a lot better in the movie. I was waiting for that ending office scene and it never came.

Did people really grow with Potter though? They released the movies so infrequently, that if you were 10 when the first one released, you were like 21 when the last one came out. And I don't see how people over 16 would have some huge connection to basically kid movies.

>But the experience of going through your childhood/teens/adolescence roughly at the same speed as Harry did as the books/movies got released is something very special, and I think it's a large part of what makes it so popular to this day.
I agree. I don't understand the hatred HP gets here. I suppose it has become a meme to hate on it but yeah I grew up watching HP and it was so special

this desu, I made that opening sentence in the BOI thread and this faggot just copies the whole thing

That was a fucking crime. That scene in the book where Harry smashes Dumbledore's office, finally letting loose all this built-up frustration, anger and sadness after losing yet another father figure was one of the best and realistic scenes in the books.
And then in the film it's
>Dumbledore: I understand, Harry.
>Harry: No, you don't.

kek

Probably not exactly at the same age as Harry, but for some people it was always pretty close. Less so for the movies, but the books did get released in a manner that you could be around the same age as Harry easily. The first three books came out in three consecutive years, and after that it was 2 or 2,5 years tops.

It's not really hated here. There's threads all the time full of fans discussing the franchise. The pasts is a running joke, and the people outwardly hating on it still managed to "waste" their time watching 7 movies before complaining. Take it with a grain of salt.

desu I was 7 when Chamber of Secrets was released and watched it in cinemas for my birthday. My teacher read the books to the class in primary school so I had both to follow and it's still a big deal for people around my age.

Even the cinema for Deathly Hallows' release was entirely filled older teenagers (16 < ) and adults.

It was a major disappointment and a major reason why OOTP is one of my least favorites. I don't know why they'd decide to scrap that part.

>I was 7 when Chamber of Secrets was released
>and it's still a big deal for people around my age
That makes you about 22, right? I've noticed that Harry Potter is still a big deal for people in their twenties. I've met loads of people at university who are still way into it in varying degrees, but a lot of them still reread the books, hold film marathons, and love discussing it.
The generation that grew up with the books/films could very well stay huge fans for the rest of their lives by the looks of things.