/who/ - Doctor Who General - Loss.jpg Edition

Let's not let it die this time, eh my boy?

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Shit_Trips:_Vol._2
mega.nz/#!Z4MnDTrC!2sOIw5iVPP0Gg22YqhaI9DrK-m84jrfh4OPOXPemWRE
i.imgur.com/kj92Fs9.png
imgur.com/a/d9mPS
youtu.be/E33vAhs4bNs
youtu.be/js7FblaLEOQ
youtu.be/yBZYRl90bos
youtu.be/iKDo9Sn4jW0
themindrobber.co.uk/mystery-sixties-cyberman.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pffttt that's nothing.

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_MacCorkindale

Imagine being cast and then turning down the star role in both Star Trek and Doctor Who. Simon MacCorkindale was set to play Captain Archer in Star Trek Enterprise but decided to turned it down. He was also offered part of The Doctor in Doctor Who to replace Sylvester McCoy in 1989/1990 but also again decided against it. It's still believed by some fans in know that it was this decision by him to say no to role that what finally resulted in BBC to cancel series.

His reason for refusing to star in both series ?
"Manimal". An unironically incredibly crappy eighties series about guy who can change into any animal and fight crime. It was so bad it was canceled only after ten episodes with lead actor Simon MacCorkindale vowing never to do another staring role in television again ever if it means turning down two of biggest roles in television you can get. So yeah ... fuck you Manimal ! :-(

Don't die /who/!

newfag here, just finished series 1 to 10. Here are my thoughts. I'll keep it short.

9 was so good.I loved his humour, and his broken man theme. Rose was pretty good too, abeit sometimes moaney. She was pretty good in series 2.

10 I really liked his stories, maybe not his over hyperness and erratic behaviour.

I really Liked Martha, good representation of a person of colour.

I really liked Donna too, thought she was hilarious and her story was sad.

I am mixed on 11th Doctor, was a bit too whimsical for my taste, and I never really took to amy or rory. River Song was pretty cool though.

12th Doctor has been my favourite thus far alongside the 9th Doctor. I liked Clara thought she overstayed a bit too much.

I like both Simms Master and Missy.

As for 12's other companions, I really liked Nardole. But Bill was horrible, really bad acting from the actress, and her whole Lesbian thing seemed really forced and cringe worthy. As far as black companions go Martha was the better representation in my opinion of black women.

Did you watch the minisodes too? There's a tonne, particularly from Matt's era.

>As far as black companions go Martha was the better representation in my opinion of black women.

Honestly, this kind of thinking bothers me. I mean, she and Martha don't represent every black woman any more than the other represent all white women.

Remember Shit Trips 2:

Get Shit Trips: Volume 2 here:

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Shit_Trips:_Vol._2

mega.nz/#!Z4MnDTrC!2sOIw5iVPP0Gg22YqhaI9DrK-m84jrfh4OPOXPemWRE

And book club. Next discussion is on Sunday.

Schedule for book club: i.imgur.com/kj92Fs9.png

Yeah it's bizarre, you wouldn't judge Donna against Amy and Turlough as a better representation of redheads, why not just take characters on their own terms?

that feel when the first thread you ever make is an attempt to keep /who/ alive and it works

Reminder for that heaven sent recon guy to upload the heaven sent recon when he's done : - )

Good work!
I'm sure Lymerence will

: - )

It suddenly becomes different when skin color is involved.

To be fair, skin tone is still involved when only white companions are involved. A more plain way to say it is that black companions are judged more harshly than white ones

What about companions without any skin at all, like K9, Handles, or Kamelion?

They've got their own problems, like stupid anti-robot "fans" that complain how they don't work half the time. I'd like to see THEM act when they're remote controlled.

Oh please. Only Kamelion's actor is known for breaking down.

Scaroth reporting in.

Could a bad NuWho story be improved by the Loose Cannon touch?

What bad story do you have in mind? School Reunion?

Maybe Rings of Akhaten.

Or Time of the Doctor. Want to imagine how that scene where Clara reads the poem to old 11 would go with telesnaps.

>if the show kept going 8 either would have been Manimal or Uncle Vernon
Would that era actually have been good? On the down side, JNT probably would have been still showrunner since nobody wanted to replace him, and Cartmel was out to work on Casualty. Would the VNA era have been preferable?

One for McGanon: Paul McGann manspreading.

Paul McGann's penis needs as much space as possible.

We may have gotten some prototype form of NuWho, since RTD and Moffat were writing shows at the time (Dark Season in 1991 and Press Gang in 1989). Maybe either one of them would have taken Cartmel's place as the new script editor.

How much would you pay for a DVD of a single 4 minute minisode?

Nothing because I'm not fucking stupid.

I never realised the girl from the doctor the witch and the wardrobe was that one chick everyone posts in you love you lose threads

epic

Neo, considering and ,
how would Classic Who have gone if it wasn't cancelled?

One dollar.

tree fiddy

I think the Wilderness Era was a necessary kind of painful birth period for Doctor Who to work out what it could be, and what it wanted to be. I think we are better off for having the Wilderness Years. And I think Classic Who was completely unsustainable, much earlier than the 7th Doctor its fate had been sealed i m o.

However I'll follow what you're saying. I think this user has a best case scenario, though I don't think it would actually have happened.

Here's a very relevant article from a 1999 DWM issue where RTD, Moffat, Gatiss, Roberts, Cornell, and Parkin were asked how they'd bring the show back: imgur.com/a/d9mPS

Rereading that DWM article imgur.com/a/d9mPS which I've read many times because it's so fascinating, especially with the dramatic irony of the revival in place, it strikes me how RTD really was the perfect person to bring it back. Moffat and Cornell pragmatically understand Doctor Who's storytelling very well, as well as how to position it to audiences, but RTD understands how to position it to producers, investors, the BBC, where to get the money from, the most efficient way to make it, how it could actually be done, the SPECIFIC ways it needs to change. Roberts either has no idea what he's talking about (his answer on how a revival should be made is embarrassingly bad) or just deflects, Gatiss and Parkin have a few good ideas but nothing revolutionary (Parkin has a good grasp on the eventual fan response though), but RTD just completely and utterly gets it.

>playing with the board sideways
What did they mean by this?

>that ending

Also, it bugs me that Parkin is the only person there who never got to write for the new series when he's a much better writer than Gatiss or Roberts.

It's perfect isn't it? And yeah it's weird with Parkin, although I'd have liked the few Wilderness writers they did use to have more involvement (Cornell only writing 2 stories was a waste, he could have done SO MUCH MORE)

Robot of Sherwood: fucking Ben Miller just looks like Anthony Ainley!!!

>I'd chuck out all continuity. I don't care where the Doctor came from or why he travels the universe! - Steven Moffat

What did he mean by this?

That times change, and so must he

Still saying "What did he mean by this" out loud a lot?

Nah, I always just think it rather than say it

What did you mean by this?

>the guys talking about how cool it was the TV movie beat Bramwell in the ratings
>Bramwell was a show starring Jemma Redgrave as a female medical doctor who fought against misogyny from the medical establishment
Huh.

You don't remember it?

No? I just found out about Bramwell a few minutes ago.

Oh, well it was well-known back then.

From the look of it, he was also the least experienced in script writing. So that may have been why.

In a low mood, what are some happy/uplifting stories, /who/? (TV or Audio will do)

The Return of Doctor Mysterio

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

I actually haven't seen that one.

Why?

Around Series 9 I sort of fell out of Doctor Who.

Season or Series?

Series.

So you haven't seen Series 9 or 10?

I have. Granted, Series 9 I was on again off again so I have no real solid memories of it. I'm watching through lots of Doctor Who when I'm in the mood, though - Just not quite up to the 2005 series yet. (In the middle of First Doctor, have seen all of 6th and 7th Doctor's episodes)

Watched Series 10 when it came out, got back into Doctor Who because I didn't see why not.

I justed noticed I've phrased it horribly but I've seen all/most of NuWho but my memory is terrible and it's been a while

Are there other Christmas specials you have missed?

Husbands of River Song
I also either haven't seen Voyage of the Damned or have at the very least forgotten a whole lot about it.
I remember Next Doctor being one of the first episodes I saw but I definitely forgot a lot about that one.

The lodger

BOOM TOWN

Husbands is good and not a dark or story-heavy Christmas special like many others, so that might also be enjoyable viewing for you after Mysterio.

Most Gareth Roberts episodes are comfy fun. Unicorn and the Wasp, the Lodger, Shakespeare Code, Closing Time. Caretaker is a bit story-heavy. Planet of the Dead is terrible (i m o).

Here's all you need to know about Voyage of the Damned.

youtu.be/E33vAhs4bNs

Doctor Who and the Pirates

This.

>"There's a great sense of danger ticking away underneath all the time. Death stalks Doctor Who in every scene, and I love it for that. It just raises the stakes, makes you love those who survive all the more"
This is the truest thing in that article, one of the truest things I've heard Russell say about the show. As much as I love the Moffat era (I prefer it, in fact) I don't think he ever got that quite right until... well, until World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls, to be honest.

I prefer the Moffat era too but absolutely think RTD was the right and best man to bring it back, and the Moffat era wouldn't be nearly as good if not for iterating off RTD's foundations. I wonder what ways the Chibnall era will build off Moff's.

I just got done listening to this and it was fucking great. It's always nice to hear Colin Baker play roles in other Big Finish ranges, and the one he's got here is especially good.

Also, what does /who/ think of Joseph Lidster in general? I think ouy of his body of Doctor Who-related work I've only listened to Master, which was also great IMO.

>Ends with Evelyn incredibly upset with the Doctor because of the horrific events of the story
>uplifting and happy

user who asked for uplifting story - also listened to that one and I'd say it's both happy and sad in different ways. It was uplifting for Evelyn's student, at least.

Just you
And I
Just You
And I
Together forever
In love
Just you (just you)
And I (and I)
Just You (Just you)
And I (And I)
Together forever
In love
In love
We go strolling together
In love
We go strolling forever
Oh oh oh
Just you (just you)
And I (and I)
Just you (just you) And I (and I)
Together forever
In Love
Just you
And I
Just you
And I

>angelo badalamenti will never score Doctor Who

ER

AS

ED

nice

Personally I'd say it's uplifting, but in a no nonsense way that doesn't skip over the subjects of guilt and contemplations of suicide.

It feels weird to say that a musical is one of the most mature stories Doctor Who has ever had, but it's true.

>TARDIS takes off
>this starts playing
youtu.be/js7FblaLEOQ

I thought The Ghost's line delivery was really terrible, but then I considered he's just trying to be cool in a sense.

The soundtrack came out today, give it a listen if you haven't already. "Windswept" is phenomenal, puts me right back in the middle of the scene.

Heh, I've been listening to it all day!

One of my favourites: youtu.be/yBZYRl90bos

Angelo didn't do tonnes of new stuff for the new series, but the stuff he did was amazing

>This video is not available.

Even better than Badalamenti's Doctor Who: Keff McCulloch's Twin Peaks

Meta story within the show itself when?

It's available for me but that's only because I'm among the Australian elite

Isn't that just Adam from Torchwood?

No it's the Gods of Ragnarok.

youtu.be/iKDo9Sn4jW0

Thoughts on this season?

*puts on autist glasses*
But Deborah never encountered the Wheel in Space Cybermen. This cover is inaccurate. Reeee!

Covers are rarely literal, normally just a mish mash of stuff from the season/series

The Wheel in Space is the final story in season 5 reeeee!

That very Cyberman actually has a really interesting story, considering that's also an Invasion chest unit..

themindrobber.co.uk/mystery-sixties-cyberman.html

How goes the recon

It's going pretty good. I've gotten all of the screencaps edited so it's just a case of arranging them now.