I rewatched Apocalypto today for the first time since it was released. I probably watched a pirated copy or some shit...

I rewatched Apocalypto today for the first time since it was released. I probably watched a pirated copy or some shit, but fuck man I regret it. Imagine how amazing this film would have been at the cinema?

That scene when their being brought into the open area, with the decapitated heads bouncing down the steps of the pyramid and the baying crowds cheering.
Fuck man imagine the feeling in the theatre during that whole segment. It really is a masterpiece of film making. Watching it earlier at full resolution and recognising the amount of work put into this film. Everything down to an extra in the background who probably spent an entire day getting his savagecore make-up.

And of course the most well known scene at the very end: le epic tweest arrival of the based conquistador white man, coming to culturally enrich the fuck out of these savages.

I've subsequently looked at reviews of this film, and it's fucking amazing the amount of critics who judged it a piece of shit based entirely on those last few minutes.

>Final Verdict: Verdict
"Apocalypto seems to have been made to argue that Mayan civilisation was evil and revolting, and that it was a jolly good thing the Spanish turned up to conquer it. That view is quite difficult to sustain if you know any of the basic facts about Mayan civilisation or the Spanish conquest. The movie doesn't: it is mostly about the wrong people and at least 600 years out of date. It fails, hard"

One thing I've realised about Mel Gibson's direction in terms of this film and Passion of the Christ, is the dedication he puts in to recreating foreign cultures of the past. Like going full blown Aramaic with Passion. And not holding back on displaying the barbarism of the spic savage.

It was an entire decade between Apocalypto and Hacksaw Ridge. Think of the pure kino Mel Gibson could have given us if we did not have to suffer the plague of the eternal jew. This reason alone should be justification for their expulsion and/or genocide

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HU14R9hbUFc
youtu.be/ze9-ARjL-ZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Think of the pure kino Mel Gibson could have given us if we did not have to suffer the plague of the eternal jew. This reason alone should be justification for their expulsion and/or genocide
Amen.

what's funny about the handwringing about the "white saviour" trope at the end is that it was literally true. the spanish created an alliance of the oppressed client states to fight against the aztecs who were as shitty then as they are now with extreme violence and tribalism (mexico treats immigrants infamously shitty)

>Imagine how amazing this film would have been at the cinema?
I don't have to imagine it since I saw it. Spoiler: yeah it looked pretty mint m8

I would argue that the final minutes were what made the movie a masterpiece. Easily, the rest was a swift chase movie, with a revenge plot tacked on. But when he reached the coast and sees "salvation" coming... that ignorant morther fucker doesn't know what brutality is just yet.

The idea of, if you think this is bad... than watch this... pure kino.

Mel's Viking epic needs to happen.
I'd also love to see his take on Huns.

>that file name

Kek

Watched in cinema and it was amazing, the hunting part was incredible, of course people focuses in the aztecs as murderous villains and having a way simpler society than they actually did, but since when does movies have to faithfully represent what they portray?

reminder that Mel was going to make a viking epic where the actors spoke old english

Then after that they enslaved or killed them all. So there's that little niggle

>Then after that they enslaved or killed them all
Then why are there still Mexicans user?
hmmmm?

>This reason alone should be justification for their expulsion and/or genocide

The whole reason the "punch a nazi" fad is retarded is because you aren't actually nazis.
When you say this kind of thing you're providing everyone with justification for Mel's exile.

Gueisson am buyint - oet guell ban uitint - rac reiv emreis.

You should just fucking SMILE AND BLOW ME

I saw it in theaters. It was amazing.

Wanting to expel Jews =/= Nazis.
It's actually a very common phenomenon, in fact the entire middle east is full of people who believe that Jews should be kicked out, and I assure you none of them are Nazis.

It was a fun kino flick if you ignore realism and history like all Mel films.

My homes Jaguar Paw still savage as FUCK esssaaay, str8 maulin these punk ass ho's since 1517 dawg

Rudy Youngblood

I really hate that the blu ray for this film is so hard to find, it's such a great film especially with scenes like the girl wandering by the prisoners and the solar eclipse (which the mayans and aztecs saw as a sign of the gods in real life).

yeah, pretty cool detail as well how the elites on top of the pyramid already knew the eclipse was coming due to their mayan calender's and the entire scene was staged to convince the normies that they had influence with the gods or some shit

whole thing was an inside job desu same shit as always smdh #eclipsetruthers

Yeah watched some History Buff youtuber who examines movies. Apparently by the time of the Spanish Conquest there simply wasn't any great Maya cities anymore. All that was in the Classical period which was hundreds of years prior.

Wonder what's with Mayans and eclipses. Tintin did it too

For the Aztec the Sun was their main god Huitzilopochtli, who was also their war god.

He had to be strengthen with blood sacrifices so he would have the energy to fight off the moon and stars which were other gods seeking to kill him and destroy the planet.

So an eclipse would probably be a scary time just for the basic idea of something blocking off their god's light.

I never assumed the spanish were there to save the day. it seemed to me just a nice way to end the movie. you've got this tribe dealing with their own shit and then suddenly the viewer is reminded of something so incredibly bigger in history. it's done rewlly well

Apocalypto - a movie about Mayans that doesn't depict them properly, confuses Mayan human sacrifices with the Aztecs, who were the real bloodthirsty, cut-our your heart still beating fuckers.

Then they show a girl affected with small pox, when small pox didn't even exist in the new world at the time of the Mayan collapse. Mayan civilization and all its great cities were all abandoned by the time the Spanish arrived in the new world, and had been for hundreds of years.

Somehow it also manages to be set during the classical Mayan collapse, which occurred around 900 AD, 600 years before the Spanish arrived in mesoamerica, yet somehow the Spanish show up at the end. Great writing Mel!

Why Mel didn't just make a movie about the fucking AZTECS makes no goddamn sense to me, why the Mayans? Especially if he wanted to tie Conquistadors into the story.

Shit thread.

Good post.

>he didn't see based Apocalypto in cinema
haha fagget

What was the point of making them Maya insted of Aztecs?

>Apocalypto seems to have been made to argue that Mayan civilisation was evil and revolting

It was. It was one of the most murderous death cults humanity has known. They had violent rituals as routine, including pulling ropes with needles through their tongue and genitals to produce offerings of blood and pain. This was normal. Baby sacrifice was normal.

Leftists straining to normalize shit like this is just insanity manifest.

>jolly good thing the Spanish turned up to conquer it

The movie doesn't have any comment on the Spanish arriving being good or bad, it's just an ending shot pulling the story out from the context of one tribe, one city, into the world of what's about to happen.

Based Mel is too good for our current jewified west, we don't deserve him or his kino

Saw it at the cinema.

The visual quality was kinda weird. Sometimes, like when they were crossing the waterfall, it was great. Othertimes, like when they were showing village life, it looked like a weird Nature Channel documentary.

They didn't actually. They imported a fuck ton of slaves and mixed with the natives.

95% of mesoamericans died to unintential spreaded diseases actually, read a book there're studies. Muskets, swords and pox didn't kill as much as you want to believe.

If Spain were hyper nice and didn't even lay a finger on the natives, 95% of their population would have died anyway. Not excusing what those people did back then, but they weren't the mass murderers as you paint them.

>watching movies at the cinema
Absolute fucking pleb, off yourself.

Also rats, pigs and some really bad droughts at the time destroyed the agriculture there. It took 50 years before Spain really set up a decent sustainable foothold.

>what's funny about the handwringing about the "white saviour" trope at the end is that it was literally true.

is not. The whole idea of the ending was "you think you are fucked? you are really fucked now"

>Then why are there still Mexicans user?
>hmmmm?

Mestizo, not original people.

>rats and droughts
I read that hemorrhagic fever caused by these two is the principal reason of Mesoamerican culture's demise.

Though you won't see this taught in class or college anywhere, liberals won't allow it, you have to paint Spain as bloodcrazed monsters and natives as innocent and civilized people.

Maybe, sorta.

Mel said the Mayans represented Modern America. I'm guessing white folks showing up at the end was probably Mel's idea of Jesus Returning to wipe out the world for their sins. Hence Apocalypto.

crossh ish a laddah

>Mestizo, not original people.
>As in the descendats of the actual murderers/conquerers
Wait a minute, so they're demanding European people for reparations when it was their own ancestors who did all that shit? LOL!

>They didn't actually. They imported a fuck ton of slaves and mixed with the natives.

They imported slaves, but the majority of the slaves was native people.

It's the frame rates. I think some of it was shot digitally

Is there any colonisation kino?

Exactly. Just to be the leader/king, you would have to cut off your nut sack

i want to know this too

No, they were serfs. It's different. The slaves would often mix with the serfs.

It was all shot digitally. It's not the frame rates, technically, it's the shutter angle, they open it up to get low light. It looks funny. It also had a much deeper depth of field in the old Genesis cameras, so I think they were still getting used to what lenses worked best etc.

The shutter angle thing is ugly as fuck if used wrong - see Public Enemies. But Apocalypto was one of the first digital movies where people went;

>Shit. This actually looks pretty good. Film might be in trouble.

I remember it was that and Zodiac that really got people worked up.

Critics judged it based on Mel Gibson, not the movie, because they were pussies incapable of separating the art from the artist. Roger Ebert was one of the few not to be a pussy bitch about it and give the movie its rightful praise. It really is a masterpiece.

ERAMOS AZTECAS AND SHIT

Black Robe and The New World obviously.

Aguirre durr.

Do you even Sup Forums?

>white folks showing up at the end was probably Mel's idea of Jesus Returning to wipe out the world for their sins. Hence Apocalypto.

It is, but remember: The Apocalypse start with the aparition of the false prophet and the arrival of the beast. Mel is catholic and the church as recognized their part the horrors of the conquest of america.

Is also a nod to the story of quetzalcoatl, who will return from the sea. Quetzalcoatl is the reason of why the Spaniards was welcome at the begining.

Even Spike Lee had to admit that it's a masterpiece and has it on his essential films list.

I forgot this

youtu.be/HU14R9hbUFc

>Magic: The Gathering is releasing a setting based on this with poor natives being injustily attacked by white vampire conquistadors

It was pretty bad but that doesn't mean there wasn't cultural explanations for it, there's a lot of theories on how it benefitted their society which at the very least was fairly stable. The actual death counts were still lower than war gripped Europe or the Middle East and there was plenty of violence in those cultures. Flagellation, Inquisitions, burnings, castration etc were all commonplace at that time in Europe. No one tries to justify sacrifice but that doesn't mean it didn't have a role in that society, and often many victims across history appear to have been totally willing.

Aztecs and Mayans were psychotic savages. South America is the scariest place on Earth. Even if you remove the people, who are the scariest people on Earth, the environment itself is nightmare fuel. Those fucking nature documentaries about the rainforests make me sick to my stomach.

Their whole world is violence and fucking and like this weird competitive capialist nature run amok.

>Those fucking nature documentaries about the rainforests make me sick to my stomach.
Any that specifically come to mind? You got ne curious.

>Inquisitions, burnings
Out of 125.000 trials, Spanish inquisition killed less than 100 "witches" (Spain at that time had 7.5 million inhabitants). It was considered pretty fair at the time and not crazy people who burned everything at sight, in fact thanks to Inquisition we have stuff like innocence till proven guilty, yeah, fucking Spanish Inquisition had that

Proofs also state that torture chambers didn't exist, and that 99% of trials didn't involve any kind of torture, stuff like rapes, feet burning and other stuff? fake too

Total number of killins was among 2500 in 400 years

Yet the US is still more dangerous for your average citizen in terms of violent crime. You sound like some superstitious peasant spouting shit. You also don't have much basis for calling anyone a 'savage', they had languages, complex hydrological irrigation, impressive structures and sustained very large populations compared to other non-european peoples like north americans etc.

The inquisition personally couldn't kill that many it was only a small branch after all, but their influence helped encouraged acts like the mass murder of the cathars, and burnings occurred in England, Germany and the Netherlands with the rise of protestantism.

Apocalypto referred to the changing times and unecplained phenomenon. The eclipse, the disease mysterious aliens all these things ushured in a new era. Not necessarily the end of life but the end of how we live it.

Wasn't that the Aztecs?

I was watching one my Attenborough. He was detailing the Brazilian eco-system. It was hideously violent and wet and sexual. How absolutely every part of the jungle was not just killing/consuming other parts, but they did it violently and grotesquely and everything was wet and crowded and messy and noisy.

Also Werner describes it better than I ever could.

youtu.be/ze9-ARjL-ZA
>Yet the US is still more dangerous for your average citizen in terms of violent crime.

Why would you even bother saying something this absurd?

Central/South American countries take up 5 of the top ten most violent countries on Earth.

The U.S. only barely scrapes into the top 100.

>You also don't have much basis for calling anyone a 'savage'

There is no need to put it in quotations.

>vicious
>brutal
>fierce
>violent

That's precisely what I'm talking about.

>they had languages, complex hydrological irrigation, impressive structures and sustained very large populations compared to other non-european peoples like north americans etc.

I don't see how that's relevant.

Isn't based Mel making a Viking movie?

Nope.

He was originally making a Viking movie with Leo. Then the whole Drunk Jew thing happened.

Fuckkkkk I'll have to watch 13th warrior for the 20th time instead

Yes. In another reality where Hillary is president

The irony is that the Spanish being "white saviors" was invented entirely by people hating on the film. It's stated at the start, "A culture cannot be conquered from without until it has rotted from within". If anything Gibson was drawing a comparison to modern times. The Spanish weren't Saviors, they were there to take over the joint..

This is precisely the shit that was taught here before the 90s. This strong vs the weak, the exploiter vs exploited historical viewpoint. Communism has truly infested the West.

I'm still mad he didnt make that Viking Berserker movie in the same style

It's a stupid movie because it shows the Spanish arriving hundreds of years too early to conquer the Mayans instead of the Aztecs. It also shows the Mayans committing Aztec-style sacrifices on a scale that even the Aztecs never reached.

It's a dishonest movie for anyone looking for historical authenticity of any kind. Also depicting smallpox as already existing pre-Spanish arrival.

Whole film is a mess.