So Sup Forums i know you probably dislike this series because Jason Aaron is a hack...

So Sup Forums i know you probably dislike this series because Jason Aaron is a hack, but i didnt think the first issue was pureshit.
I though the movie was decent for an MCU film, better than Ant-Man, not better than Iron-Man1, could you recommend some good Dr. Strange runs?

Here's the rec list.

>better than Ant-Man

not a major accomplishment given that its like the 2nd worst MCU movie

Nigga please

>The Oath
Absolutely not. It's a dogshit story that's a massive affront to the Doctor Strange bibliography. But the list is otherwise good.

I'm glad someone else agrees the Oath is overrated. I'm sick of it being treated like the only thing every written about Strange.

Strange is probably some of Aaron's best work, which isn't saying much.

I did like Doctor Strange a fair bit though. Minus all the poor castings and Dormammu looking wack

I like the cut of your jib OP. I bought up to #10 because of the quality of that first issue. Got a lot about Strange right (things which triggered Sup Forums at the time, funnily enough).
Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen he did a swan dive.
Fuck off it's shit.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiit.
I was hype going in because of God of Thunder and after coming out read his Ghost Rider and they're both so much better I could be convinced it was a different writer altogether.
...Were, you know, the failings of this run the very same things that made those runs awesome.
Sorcery requires a little fuckin' subtlety, y'know?

I'm not alone?!

you sound like a cunt and a newfag trying to fit in.

Bachelo's art is really good even if Aaron's writing isn't the best

BKV basically has never written anything good

>could you recommend some good Dr. Strange runs?
All if it.
ALL.
Seriously the classic 60s Ditko stuff serves as a major inspiration for the movie so you might as well start from the beginning.

Eh. Y was alright.
Granted I thought it was Saga until I was too far in to stop.

Plus that one cartoon shaming the Avengers for tokenism was funny.

he's funny but his stories always suck
he always gets good artists though

I don't like the way they all to often make comics now, but the new Dr Strange stuff is pretty good. The Empirical showdown could have used more cleverness, but you gotta take the bad with the good.

Yes. All of it. Any of it. Just pick a random ish if it comes down to it. I suggest anything before 2000.

Y was great, but I got bored of Saga real early on

Strange's first ongoing in 20 years and the first arc is literally about draining all of the color, wonder and variety from the experience so that we can redo God Butcher with more grey.
Nah senpai. Unless the Mordo arc has been impossibly stellar I gotta disagree.

>jason aaron weird shit and Bachalo's art

You kidding me? I love that shit. Last time I got them both at the same time was Wolverine and the X-Men and I loved it just as much back then.

Well meme'd, """"contrarian!""""

I think that's the biggest problem with Aaron. He isn't Bendis level of being a hack, but the guy doesn't really imagine things. He can't see anything being awesome unless it is slapped on a page with the hero punching someone in the face.

He can't imagine doing the shit that made people like Morrison, Gaiman and Moore popular. He can't imagine doing weird and bizzare things and for things like Doctor Strange and Thor that is crippling. As both of those titles require imagination to really shine through and be awesome.

I'll disagree in Thor's case. At least God of Thunder. Shit was baller. Aaron's brand of hamfisted antisubtlety fits him very well.
Try applying it to feminist rhetoric though and hooo boy

Jason wasn't weird enough. He spends 10 issues gradually removing all of the fucking weirdness.

It works for Thor on some cases. But, it doesn't work if the entire story is constructed around the physical aspect of Thor is shit. I mean Simpson's run managed to mix weird and awesome.

I mean, take Unworthy Thor. That shit could have really been weird and it would have really benefited the story. You could have seen all of Thor's weird cosmic adventures. But instead it was just a punch Trolls up., if it hadn't been for based Bill, it would have been one of the worse things to come out this month.

>Liking Wolverine and the X-men

Confirmed for shit taste.

I'm glad there are others finally taking this story down a peg. As far as I can tell, the fact that it's a miniseries is the only reason it's elevated as much as it is, because you can read the whole thing as a single self-contained arc to assess it "graphic novel" style. There are many, much better Strange stories that have been published as part of longer runs.

>he doesn't turn people into dinosaurs

That and it was the definitive Dr Strange story in a 2-decade long drought.
In The Doctor is Out he was a depowered shell of a man and in Flight of Bones... shit I can't remember a damn thing from Flight of Bones apart from the villain reveal at the end.

>There are many, much better Strange stories that have been published as part of longer runs.

True, but the Oath is one of the few recent ones that was pretty good, and is also accessible to people.

The Lee/Ditko run: Strange Tales Vol. 1, #110-111, #114-146
The Steve Englehart run: Marvel Premiere #9-14, Dr. Strange #1-5
The Roger Stern run: Dr. Strange #48-53, #55-62
The Peter Gillis run: Dr. Strange #76-81, Strange Tales Vol. 2, #1-19
Joley's The Doctor Strange: The Flight of Bones
X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl
Gerry Conway's Spider-Man an Dr. Strange: The Way to Dusty Death
Spider-Man: Fever by Brendan McCarthy
Marc Andreyko's Dr. Strange : What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?
for an alternative retelling of his origin- Doctor Strange: Beginnings and Endings by J. Michael Straczynski

>Marc Andreyko's Dr. Strange : What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?
Don't forget P. Craig Russell user