SCOURGE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VZ42IMu7HIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=R7qT-C-0ajI
youtu.be/wISs5vEIej8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Aye, so did the Romans.

Thus saith the Lord.

I never understood why you could see the fire through the eyes. Isn't is a statue?

LOVING GOD
O
V
I
N
G

G
O
D

Hey how's it going.

ARTHAS!

I feel like there's a huge disconnect between Christians and non-Christians with this movie. It primarily boils down to your view of how God acts in the movie.

I think atheists go on way too much about how Old Testament God isn't omni-benovolant or all loving, a meme of honestly puzzling origin, when he was never meant to be as such. That's not even the Sunday School version of Christianity since Sunday School teaches about the plagues, Noah's flood, Isaac, Job, and Sodam and Gomorah. There's a reason the old word for religious is actually "God Fearing." God was potentially scary.

Im saying its not morally right to just simply bow down and be such an awful dictator of a gods bitch, even if he were real. Its like when france soread its asscheeks for nazi germany without so much a squeek.

God's not depicted as omni-benevolant but he is depicted as omni-powerful; the Nazis weren't. And stay on his good side, even back when the Abrahamic faiths focused less on the carrot and more on the stick, and you'd generally be better than fine, though even more so after the redemptive power of Christ became a thing, causing the barrier for entry into heaven to plummet.

Ironically, the ancient Egyptian gods were far more loving than the OT God. Hebrews bet on the wrong horse.

Id rather die with dignity then bow to such a worthless selfish god.

I think it works surprisingly well for both. Religious people can feel awe and respect at god's power and those mysterious ways of his, while atheists can see him as a source of fear and terror. I love that the portrayal of god in this movie can support both opposite views of him, and both extremes can feel that the movie validates their opinion. It's pretty impressive for an animation addressing such touchy topics.

>omnipotent god who gave us free will
>wants to free his people
>the pharoah almost agrees but then he hardened his heart so he refused moses again
>so he punished the pharaohs people who literally did nothing wrong instead of the pharaoh or his officials who were the one abusing
>"""free will"""
>"""omnipotent""""
>"""loving and kind""""
Why was Moses the good guy again?

What's the point (particularly when the alternative was to side with the other guy)? God's authority was an argument from power, which, if you were peasant in the ancient world, was likely why you bowed to your king, anyways.

I SEND A PESTILENCE, A PLAGUE
INTO YOUR HOUSE INTO YOUR BED
INTO YOUR STREAMS INTO YOUR STREETS
INTO YOUR DRINK INTO YOUR BREAD

UPON YOUR CATTLE,
ON YOUR SHEEP
ON YOUR OXEN IN YOUR FIELD
INTO YOUR DREAMS INTO YOUR SLEEP,
UNTIL YOU BREAK UNTIL YOU YIELD

I SEND THE SWARM, I SEND THE HORDE

>Sup Forums
>a kind and merciful god

The idea that anyone has some in-built right live that even God himself can't abrogate is overwhelmingly enlightenment-era, not scriptural. The truth of it is, as far as the Abrahamic faiths go, is that God is the just arbiter of when anyone is born. Same thing goes for when anyone dies. His judgment in that regard is the right one, and more informed than you or I could imagine.

If you want to be technical, every death (as with every life) is part of his design, as creation's response to the presence of sin. Not just these acts. But death doesn't carry the same grim permanence in the context of Christianity, as it would in a person who doesn't believe. It isn't impossible that the long dead will have their time to choose, and be judged according to their individual choices, rather than as a people.

THUS SAITH THE LORD

>raped to death by locusts
>dignified

I SEND THE LOCUSTS ON A WIND
SUCH AS THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN
ON EV'RY LEAF ON EV'RY STALK
UNTIL THERE'S NOTHING LEFT OF GREEN

Did we see the back of the head? Maybe it's not finished yet.

THEY WON'T CUT UP THEIR KIDS DICKS?

BURN THOSE FUCKERS

NO SERIOUSLY KILL THEM AND THEIR CHILDREN

NO ONE'S GONNA RUN AROUND WITH UNCUT DICKS ON MY PLANET

WHY DID I EVEN MAKE UNCUT DICKS

FUCK

>Be God
>See you worshippers literally dying to build statues of stupid fake gods with animal heads
>Decide to move worshippers out of shit hole
>Get messenger boy Moses to do some miracles to prove you mean business and release my people
>Pharaoh fuck says "no"

If you're God, and they aren't licking your asshole for favour then fuck being loving to them.

THUS SAITH Sup Forums

>God always meant to have penises look circumcised, and the foreskin was just a mistake that he thinks look gross.

I WANT YOU TO LEAVE THIS DESOLATE AREA OF THE DESERT.

AND I WANT YOU TO SETTLE IN THIS MORE DESOLATE, LESS HABITABLE AREA OF THE DESERT.

I WANT YOU TO SUBSIST ENTIRELY ON FOOD THAT HAS VERY LITTLE NUTRITIONAL VALUE.

BECAUSE IF YOU EAT A PIG I'LL SEND YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL, I SWEAR TO ME.

I'M ALSO GOING TO SEND YOU TO WAGE WAR AGAINST A TECHNOLOGICALLY SUPERIOR PEOPLE BECAUSE I DIDN'T MAKE A CHOSEN RACE SO YOU CAN SIT AROUND BEING BITCHES. FUCK UP THOSE HITTITES.

>tfw read this in the voice
why is that movie so good?

youtube.com/watch?v=VZ42IMu7HIQ

>I'M ALSO GOING TO SEND YOU TO WAGE WAR AGAINST A TECHNOLOGICALLY SUPERIOR PEOPLE BECAUSE I DIDN'T MAKE A CHOSEN RACE SO YOU CAN SIT AROUND BEING BITCHES. FUCK UP THOSE HITTITES.
Cracked up at this.

youtube.com/watch?v=R7qT-C-0ajI

God never said the promised land was empty, and those cultures could make ancient Hebrews look saintlike in comparison. Also, giants everywhere, even if it was only in comparison to the height of average Israelites. The warlike God needed to step in, or the 'eternal covenant' bit is a wash. On top of that, the religious syncretism wasn't YHWH's cup of tea, and it's what his followers frequently attempted to do (human sacrifice included!) if God didn't discourage it in his own quasi-apocalyptic ways.

God doesn't really need an advocate, and there are many better than I, but I do love these discussions.

KING RAAAMSEEEEEEES

THE MAN IN GAUZE THE MAN IN GAUZE

Guess who's the next messiah after Illidan gets corrupted?

You missed the part where God intentionally hardens Pharaohs heart, making him say no.
What an asshole.

Considering the Egyptian gods lost, I wouldn't say so.

>those cultures
Were, technologically and philosophically, superior to the desert-dwelling savage Hebrews in every way.

>Giants were everyone
There was one.

>Hebrews were short
Because of aforementioned dietary restrictions.

>I do love these discussions
Because you're a troll or you actually believe this nonsense.

Either way.

Damn, I've always wondered what the fuck they were singing.

>Pharaoh fuck says "no"
>because god hardened his heart
>which made him treat the israelites even more
>god gets revenge by tormenting the egyptian middle class

Perhaps the finer points of having your temples flooded with prostitutes, sacrificing your children to Molech/Chemosh/Baal/Whomever, and eating animals that languished in their own filth are beyond me, but if these cultures were so superior to the supposed 'savages', we'd be worshipping quite different gods today. Wouldn't we?

Also, take more time to pick apart that OT, multiple giants are mentioned. And is the Temple Solomon built indicative of the ewok-tier primitives you're describing?

Not the other guy and not replying after this due to early morning shift and having to get up VERY early and soon , and there are plenty of people who are very clever and wrestled with this stuff already I'm only answering because I'm here and am bad at decisions I'm also not a good person to answer these; having to redo almost the entirety of my final year at Bible College

The Bible is The Word of God, written by the Hands of People and those People were writing in a different way than you or I would write, so what you're reading may be Biblical Theology and not Biblical History, despite being written weaving together. Also, it may just be the author's interpretation as to why someone would be stupid enough to defy God. and thus perhaps used as an example to all the other kings to take God seriously; you mess with His Chosen people, you're shown up as a sucky king. Also everyone will hate you and you will rule a wasteland

>Those Cultures
In Genesis, God said: Those guys are evil. Like Super Evil. Hitler on Evil Steroids. Don't worry about who Hitler is, they sacrifice kids and worse. You're not going to punish them yet, your kids will; they haven't yet got to the point where they can be fully punished: they're gonna get so bad that even the land is tainted, and when you sweep through there, there's gonna be so much evil that there's no good to get accidentally get swept up too.
>Giants
Everyone was, it was kind of the Land of Giants for the Israelites. With some giants being Giant-er.

I'll try to respond to responses, but I probably won't (Sorry in advance), but I do suck at these things and I am getting up very early tomorrow).

Well, duh. You don't defy God twice. He set out to bring him to heel and make a spectacle of his humiliation as warning.

THUS SAITH THE BOARD

>he hardened his heart
Either YHWH or Ra hardened Ramses' heart because Ramses was originally going to let the hebrews go after the first plague or so.

punishing the people IS punishing the Pharaoh and his officials
his entire livelihood is dependent on his people, as they're the only reason he can hold power like he does

>A cosmic being is gonna follow simple human morality
God is basically an eldritch abomination

When will they stop beating this dead horse that is called WoW?

For real.

>Jews send the plagues
>Egypt sends the Romans

makes sense

Apparently Legion did fairly well, so at least another 2 years.

Is Legion actually this good as people are saying?

it was yhwh

Psssh... Nothin Personnel, Kid...

I
Send
My
Scrooge

Haven't JRPGS taught you anything? You fight against God. You all fight against God until you go down, or he does, and eventually he will go down, Omnipotence be damned.

He is shown as loving and caring for the people who believe in him (best seen in the scene of the burning bushes), but also as an unstoppable and merciless tool of onslaught, as seen in... everywhere else in the movie. That's what happens when you bring in Old Testament God; he´s kind of a dick. For some reason he softens up after Jesus, though.

It's fun.
Although alt unfriendly and some of the class changes take some getting used to.
And some of the class changes are straight up awful
A few time gates, but still really rather fun.

Still not enough to make me come back to WoW.

There is no dignity in death user.

Do you even remember the part with the Hebrew children being thrown into the river?

the part where the pharoahs father did it? or the part where he started his revenge only after the person who did it died? the part where the son also had the same idea after he hardened his heart?or the part where that throwing the children in the river was all in his master plan

Having kids softens anyone up.

I always heard "the man in clogs".

I like to think that it was an animation fuckup they decided to keep because frankly it looks great.

I'm an atheist and I fucking love this movie. Great animation, great narrative, awesome music. It's also a pretty good adaptation of the Exodus tale all considered.

online imageboards are more cruel and merciless than any deity.

The picture looks like the back of the statue got blown the fuck up by the raining fire

Old testament god was a fuckwit half the time going back on things he said and punishing various civilisations for things he willfully allowed to happen

>the jews start worshipping idols instead of god
>god punishes them by letting the neighboring kingdom take over israel
>a hundred years or so down the line god tells the current prophet he will punish those who took the jew's promised land away from them
>when it was god's will that the jews lose it for worshipping false gods

in fact this scenario plays out multiple times over the course of the old testament because the jews absolutely cannot fucking stop worshipping gods other than the one that actually keeps smiting them for not worshipping him

Is it me, or is this animated film the most sympathetic portrayal of Ramses we've ever seen?

I don't think you understand how meaningless that would be when said god controls death

Maybe it's cause he keeps fucking smiting them. No one was around to tell god you can catch more flies with honey and all that

>Id rather die with dignity
Well you'll get half your wish. But you're not as dignified as you think if you can't even get your punctuation correct.

>bow to such a worthless selfish god.
So you bow down to yourself then? Because that's basically what you're doing. You're saying you are your own importance over anything else that could possibly be.

Nothing much

>he willfully allowed to happen
>when it was god's will that the jews lose it for worshipping false gods

You're getting into the deep philosophical aspect of free will and determinism. If you really value believing this, you should do a lot more research so you can be sure. But if you want to keep believing "they were playing a rigged game", just admit to that.

Plus, you're oversimplifying to the point of being wrong here. But I kinda figure you're trolling or stupid.

You rarely get anything for free. God chose them, but that didn't mean he would let them slide by on that. He wanted his people to act with a certain etiquette and morality.

And just so you know, you were free to leave if you didn't want to be part of his new club. Though leaving your nation when it's unpleasant ain't easy.

God's motivation, among others, has always been to show how impressive he is, and how people ought to be in awe. He was taking a ragtag bunch of nobodies and going to conqueor nations with them.

He also asked for his people to have faith in him. Part of that was the etiquette and the rest was trusting him when he said "Imma smash those dudes over there. You just gotta trust me. Go poke him in the face."

Pretty much what this dude said. >87556809

in what way did he say that?

im pretty sure its Christians say hes a all-loving god, not Atheists.

How does this puzzle you?

You always die.

Rather die who i am then as someones bitch.

It's a simplification because god allowed the Jews to live in israel as long as they followed his rules and he let them get booted out when they didn't. He didn't remove them by making the land unliveable, he just let them get invaded and then got angry at the invaders later on.

They were clearly rewarded when they did what God asked them to do and didn't stray. Except every time after a couple decades of peace someone found the statues of Moloch and Bael in the attic and went HEY GUYS REMEMBER THESE? WEREN'T THEY GREAT? WHY'D WE EVER GET RID OF THEM? and the cycle repeated until israel had been taken back for I think the fourth time and they were too busy rebuilding the city to be worshipping anyone except god.

There's a lot of different kinds of christians even within their respective sects, Jesuit Catholics are pretty chill imo.

It is, rather than being portrayed as evil he's portrayed as a man under immense pressure to live up to everything that was expected of him and makes horrible mistakes because of it.

>all-loving
A good author, a true artist, loves all of his creations, even the ones he also damns. Because he made them, they are the outpouring of his artistry, and exist to make the art complete and true.

It's just a movie about magic and shit like lord of the rings or harry potter chill out

Why is this so funny

>we will never get a Ramayana movie from Dreamworks

Much more upbeat than Exodus

>evil demon king
>God incarnates as a hero to defeat him
>falls in love with beautiful girl
>she's kidnapped by demon king
>hero and monkey army rescue the princess and the world
>happily ever after

It seems like people who live in inhospitable shitholes like desert and tundra have grimdark mythology to reflect this

>what is tough love

>Egyptians
>live next to bro-tier Nile
>Nile almost always floods on time and the right amount for optimal farming
>mythology is bright - beer saves mankind from extinction, Set despite everything helps Ra fight Apep, you have to be basically the worst of the worst to end up getting fed to Ammit, Thoth creates five extra days just so some kids can be born

>Sumerians
>live next to ornery Tigris and Euphrates
>rivers never flood when they're needed and always flood too hard when they do flood
>Gods murder everyone with flood because it's too noisy
>the goddess of love murders millions with a bull and threatens a zombie apocalypse over one king, who wasn't even a decent guy until he befriended that wildman
>the secret to immortality gets eaten by a snake just because

I see your point.

youtu.be/wISs5vEIej8 Really who said thta

So you're more of the idea of a passive deity?

I'm more in the camp that God does affect the world, but we are either to egotistical or just short shorted sighted to see any works.