NEW TALENT SHOWCASE PREVIEW

>A little over one year ago DC launched the Talent Development department. The goal: to find, instruct and nurture new and current DC talent. In just a short amount of time since the launch, DC has run two successful workshops taught by a few of the greatest creators and teachers in the business; one for writers led by Scott Snyder, and one for artists led by Klaus Janson and Jim Lee.

>This year’s Showcase represents the work of writers from DC’s Writers Workshop Pilot Program, a 13-week program held January through March 2016, for professionals from an array of writing backgrounds who were brand-new to DC. The stories you’ll get to see in NEW TALENT SHOWCASE #1 are just a glimpse of what they created during the workshop, and they represent the various strengths seen when these creators were asked to join DC.

>Many of the artists represented here are also products of DC’s Artists Workshop Pilot Program from the fall of 2015. For that, DC invited current artists to the Burbank offices for a week of master classes, get-togethers with the editorial staff, tours of the offices and the amazing DC library, and discussions on craft with Jim Lee and Klaus Janson! These artists and their colorists, and letterer Josh Reed, were instrumental in bringing to life the vision and story put forth by the new writers showcased in this new publication.

>We plan to make Showcase an annual event, and truly hope you enjoy what you see. Special thanks to our wonderful teachers/advisors: Klaus Janson, Andy Kubert, Jim Lee and Scott Snyder!

>What follows is the first page of each story that will be featured in NEW TALENT SHOWCASE #1, available in comic book stores and online on November 30th. Please help welcome these new writers to DC! And big thanks to the artists that contributed to this year's Showcase!

>HELLBLAZER: THE ROAD TO HELL AND ALL THAT by Smith & Oum:

>“Being a dude from the south writing a famously British character was pretty intimidating, and with Steve Dillon passing away I’ve been thinking a lot about how much Hellblazer meant to me as that right book at that right time in my life.”–Adam Smith

Is this the book with that Indian guy with awesome name that I sadly forgot?

>WONDER WOMAN: BLOOD AND GLORY by Ayala, Randolph & Rauch:

>“Wonder Woman has always been monumentally important to me. She was strong yet gentle, a warrior and a peacemaker and, most important, her power was dependent on no man. She was everything I saw in my mother and my grandmother, and what I wanted for myself. I thought she was Puerto Rican for an embarrassingly long time, and while that was wrong, it was critical to the formation of my identity and my self-esteem. She protected my brown-ness, my queer-ness and the part of me that is woman.”–Vita Ayala

>WHITE LANTERN: DEAD BEACONS by Moreci, Bagenda & Fajardo Jr.

>“I’ve always been fascinated by space—the adventures, the exploration and taking the human story and pitting it against the unknown. Since I was a kid, Green Lantern has always resonated with me, but it was Kyle’s story that hit a major chord with me. I love how relatable he is, but he’s still driven by nobility and courage. He faces all those things I love about space with a set of eyes that feel like my own.”–Michael Moreci

This sounds really interesting.. I dunno if its 7.99 interesting... guess it depends on the page count

yeah, Owl something

>HAWKGIRL: WEAPONS OF WAR by Schultz & Liew

> “I’ve always been drawn to strong characters, but what really solidified my love for Shayera was the Justice League cartoon show. Maria Canals-Barrera and Susan Eisenberg voiced Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman, respectively, and their portrayals left an indelible mark on me. I was honored to be able to have Shayera fly once again.”–Erica Schultz

>DEADMAN: KILLING TIME by Sebela, Messina & Dinisio

>“When I was a kid buying comics for the first time, I found Mike Baron and Kelley Jones’ Deadman stories, which were so different from all the other Deadman stuff. Poetic and grotesque and emotional and creepy as heck. Those stories burned themselves into my mind and have stuck there ever since. When I got the chance to pick my first DC character I’d write for, well, Deadman had spent so much time occupying my mind, I thought it was only fair to put some thoughts in his.”–Christopher Sebela

Well no one cares about what you think.

>WONDER GIRL: DIGGING UP DEMONS by Khan, Lupacchino, McCarthy & Morey

>“Wonder Girl has been an exciting character for me to explore because she is young, flawed and relatable. As someone who also writes for children, it’s satisfying to work on a strong female role model who still faces challenges many can identify with, like falling for the wrong person and having her heart broken, or struggling in her relationship with her mother. She may not be perfect, and still has a lot to learn about herself and being a superhero, but that just makes Wonder Girl even more awesome!”–Hena Khan

Hey Sebela got in this thing, cool.

I was promised Hawktits.
Not sure if I should feel relieved or disappointed.

that is some really ugly cover art. at least the other stuff looks mostly good

>CATWOMAN/WONDER WOMAN: THE AMAZONIAN JOB by Beeby, Jung & Mulvihill

>“It was so tough to choose: I wanted to write the ‘bad girl’ Catwoman, with all her sardonic quips, but I also wanted to explore the strength and mythology of Wonder Woman. Then I had this crazy thought: maybe I don’t have to choose…? They’re not enemies, but they are opposites. It’s hard to even think of them together. But I’m nothing if not a sucker for a challenge!”–Emma Beeby

This will be that bullshit story about Kyle, Carol and ice-cream in space xD, right? Fuck it and fuck DC.
Yeah, him. I don't remember seeing Sup Forums hyped about any writer that much for long time.
And we're back to fucking up Hawkman's backstory.

thats an interesting pose

>SUPERMAN: THE MAN IN BLACK by McMillian & Ferreyra

>“One of the first titles that kicked off my obsession with comic books was SUPERMAN #21 by John Byrne, which I purchased off the rack at my local grocery store. Ever since Superman’s discovery of the post-Crisis Supergirl, I have been a major fan of the Last Son of Krypton. Not only is he the world’s greatest superhero, but he grew up in Kansas like me, which was a major plus. With ‘Man in Black’ I wanted to spark a story that juxtaposes Clark’s hometown roots with his sci-fi origins and add to his ever-expanding backstory. Hopefully I will one day get to continue Clark’s fateful run-in with Joker, the mysterious Mister Coal and the role Deputy Conrad “Bud” Hunt played in Clark’s childhood…and the secret he’s kept hidden for over thirty years.”–Michael McMillian

>HARLEY QUINN: GOOD MORNING, GOTHAM! by Jones, Lotfi & Pantazis

>“Because the story is so short I just wanted to have some fun with it, and there is no better character for zany good times than Harley!”–Joëlle Jones

One page and it already looks and read like shit. Why does everyone follows Palmiotti line of writing?

Kill

Haha get fucked

No one cares fag

Cool to see Joëlle Jones try out writing

Can't be worse than Hopeless.

She's cute.

he also had a killer croc short in one of those suicide squad minis they did over the summer.

I'm assuming we'll see more from him within the next year or so, especially with that Injustice Harley series.

She should stick to drawing, one page and it already worse than Palmiotti

Not rly. She is meh/10. Would bang only under few botles of whisky.

Is there any good female writers btw?

>it already
At least she's better at it than you are.

Who's he?

DC has a lot of qt artists.

???

>Would bang only under few botles of whisky
Oh yeah, because I'm sure a stud like you is allowed to have fucking standards. Cut me a break, dude. This is why you're still a virgin.

this looks nice

I'm saying you can't write for shit.

No shit, Sherlock.

Looks good or writes good? Kate Leth.
Bring the whip, cowboy.

She is legitimately old, mate. Where is your standards?

Writes good. I can't fuck them anyway, so I don't care how they look. I honestly can't remember a single good comic written by woman.

Why is DC wasting Barnaby and Liew on this instead of putting them on minis?

Because most women aren't into capeshit.

I remember getting my rejection letter a little late, but that it was slightly personalized saying I was actually pretty close. I'm trying again next year.

>Is there any good female writers btw?
Becky Cloonan (outside of Punisher, which was a mismatch), Kathryn Immonen, Louise Simonson, Jo Duffy, Emily Carroll, Jen Van Meter, Rumiko Takahashi, Ann Nocenti back in the day, Gail Simone sometimes

She's already written stuff

Is it wrong that I'm sad about this because DC doesn't need new talent as much as Marvel does? I mean, fuck, they've got a bunch of up-and-comers and all the greats still in the business already. Meanwhile Marvel's completely out of talent.

No need to spoiler that, Sup Forumsmrades usually agree that Simone used to be way better back in the day.
Swords of Sorrow are hilarious to read after you skip night of two of sleep.

Is this book canon?

If so this is the first appearance of Earth 0 Hawkgirl in a while.

>Is this book canon?
No

>Is this book canon?
Yes

I feel bad for the guards.

>Is this book canon?
Maybe

>THE AMAZONIAN JOB
Sounds like a sex position.

No, he's in the current writing workshop, he won't be in this issue

>wasting Bagenda on this
triggered

A semen demon

DC definitely needs new talent,most of those exclusives are mediocre as all fuck. Moreci though is not the answer so I hope some of these guys are better.

Who gives a shit.

>She is legitimately old, mate
I'm guessing you're one of those pedophiles that frequent Sup Forums, aren't you? Degenerate filth.
>Where is your standards?
A degenerate who can't into grammar to boot.

I didn't want a new comicsfu but i guess it had to happen.

they drew like like 10 pages on this max, calm down.

wrote High Crimes, Dead Letters, all indie stuff.
co-wrote some of Fraction's F4 and DeConnick's Captain Marvel because hes good friends with them.

And the they switch to Marvel.

Her clean room is very good. It's just she isn't writing anything famous and due to her Batgirl that she gets a bad rep nowadays.

A massive SJW

Honestly I just want to see some interesting artists outside of the generic DC house style. DC and the Big 2 in general is just STARVING for fresh interesting artists right now. Especially since we're getting a new generation of professional artists and from what I see online influences seem to be a bit more eclectic than the typical traditional capeshit artists. Probably because the internet

Yerah, I don't udnerstand why they'd put Bagenda, Liew and Ferreyra on this... They're such good artists and DC's not using them. Rossmo better have an upcoming project too. And what about Inaki Miranda? I quite like that guy.

So, just like every other comic book writer? :^)

this somehow sounds very promissing

hello Sup Forumsmblr!

Aw, touched a nerve?

all that pages, characters, locations and writers and 99% of them is first person narration boxes that comments on something happening in panel

seriously comics people

90% of Big Two comics are like this and they're written by pros and veterans. Comics that don';t do this don't sell and don't even receive enough critical acclaim.

We will never be rid of Scott Lobdell's awful take on the Young Justice, will we?

FUUUCK.

Marvel doesn't have a house style right now like DC does. And honestly, they have so much better artist than they deserve. Civil War 2 was so beautiful, I'd buy it if it was speechbubble-less.

I like these

Ferreyra is one of the rotating artist on Green Arrow.

You know that right?

You just have shit taste, Marquez is awful.

isn't Ferreya doing alternate arcs on Green Arrow?
Liew just finished doing Levitz' Dr Fate, so its not like hes been out of a regular book long.

Haks can't get a rest

>Lupacchino
my dick is ready.

>Marquez is awful.

I don't get how anyone can say this, you're meme if you say this.

I don't think he's awful but I don't get the hype.

The pictures are pretty but there's nothing especially interesting about his art

That's modern Klaus Janson for you.

Miranda served as an occasional fill-in artist. How about putting Bagenda on Green Lanterns as fill-in?

Is that Penguin in Arkham?

Not sure what the Joker reference is , but yeah possibly this is promising. I guess I'll have to see if I have a scan or a digital of #21 of that run and see how or why the Joker comes up?

>Hena Khan
b-but she is pakistani, so she should be writing pakistanis only

>Ferreyra Superman
hnggg

that has to be one of the worst looking harleys ever

>b-but she is pakistani, so she should be writing pakistanis only
Don't worry, in Trump's America, she won't be writing anything period.

BASED TRUMP.

I cannot see Selina and Diana getting along at all. This should be fun.

It wasn't meant to be a positive post in any way or shape.

neat wonder if john is going to hell or the devils are coming to him
>with Steve Dillon passing away
wait what
that quote while on its own fine is an indicator that the writer is some sort of sjw i will have to look them up and decided if this is gonna be crap or not.
i am a lot more concerned about the name though wonder woman is to aggressive lately so i hope the writer remembers what they said about her being gentle
the page looks promising and the quote has me intrigued sort of like how the sea is to a lot of aquaman writers
neat hope they dont do some retarded name change on this story
it seems they gave these writers a lot of free reign on who they chose to write for there showcase i like i wonder what its about
oh adventures in exotic places
an interesting pairing although the not enemys bit has me a little concerned
oh young superman supporting cast neat
you know i really cannot argue with the logic in that quote
i have always prefered the idea that harley is mostly normal when joker is not around for a while but i have learnt to accept thats never going to be a thing again so im excited for this one
at the very least by the looks of it it might slow down all that harley quinn is getting turned into an anti-hero bullshit (admitidly it did kinda happen in that one squad backup but nowhere else)

overall im hype

good luck user

Is there a chance that we'll finally get Wonder Woman having a lesbian kiss?

we already got that in brave and the bold

>Aw
Found the woman.

>Indian guy writing comics
Holy shit lemme check since I'm an indian guy who loves comics
>Owl Goingback
>Not brown
>Apparently Native American (i think)
Well that's slightly disappointing but oh well

>Harley
>Standing side by side with Supes and WW in the forefront
Really?