Superman, on the Radio?

>youtube.com/watch?v=1ol8Gmi57DI&list=PLXvRiiEXQLZWVxE_Yd97MwuD4WsbVhmD-

Radio Dramas once had great power to affect society, in the early days of mass media. I know radio style drama has made a comeback thanks to podcasting.

Would you want to see a new Superman Radio Drama Podcast? What heroes would you like to see have new age digital radio dramas online or on broadcast?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gopZ2X4FUiM
youtube.com/watch?v=U3vfp2GYjUw
youtube.com/watch?v=N60B_uCJZxg
decoderringtheatre.com/shows/red-panda-adventures/
youtube.com/watch?v=m7ICBPF7Hwo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think for a radio drama you should go with less spectacle and more grounding unless it's also a comedy, so no on Supes. I know the Dr Who radio plays are supposed to be good, but for more Sup Forums related stuff I think The Spirit would do great in this format.

Is he still going to fight the KKK?

Now now, they were the Clan of the Fiery Cross. Any similarities to the Klan (not they spell it with a K!) is purely coincidental.

Superman is a creepy fucker who hid in the radios of kids so he could spy on them.

That's only one serial, and funnily enough was used as a way to socially combat the Klan when they were a bigger deal and mattered. I know they're experiencing a surge of visibility right now, but as an organization I don't think they're going to amount to much if any violence.

>youtube.com/watch?v=gopZ2X4FUiM

to say nothing of times he broke into radio stations.

I prefer The Shadow. Now more than ever we need someone who truly knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

oh boy id love it! if thy could capture a nice grainy sound as well itd be the tops

man drunk history is a good show

And the next day Jimmy presents as scoop to the Daily Planet that that fiery cross seem by millions in Metropolis streaking across the sky was because it was thrown by Superman.

Sorry, Jimmy, now Superman has to burn down all the super robes you ever gave him for father's day with his heat vision.

Aren't Neo-Nazi's a much bigger deal then the clan now?

Yeah, but Superbro was knocking them around in a T-shirt. Even laughing in super Dickery when one was cryin

Well its not like they don't deserve it, they're fucking Neo-Nazis. Besides, it was shown that he regretted it in the very same issue, since he stooped to their level.

>The Spirit
Man, I need to get more into pulps and golden age shit. I'll have to start a thread for comics like those. Going through Hellboy and Lobster Johnson is really giving me the itch.

Cool

Batman had his own incredibly short lived series which sadly didn't catch on. He and Robin still got to chill with Superman on his radio show.

youtube.com/watch?v=U3vfp2GYjUw

>The Shadow
I kinda stopped caring after Orson Welles left.

Jesus, user, how old are you?

I listened to the first couple of episodes.

The problem was that Superman was too overpowered and all he did was fight regular gangsters. Same problem The Shadow had. A new radio program would need legitimate threats.

Now that audio drama podcasts are making a comeback thanks to "Welcome to Night Vale", "The Black Tapes Podcast", and others, I'd love for DC or even Marvel to set aside some Comic Book Fun Bucks to make new monthly or bi-monthly serials.

Some of my favorite Shadow stories came after Orson Welles, who was only The Shadow between 1937-38. That means you're missing nearly sixteen years of stories (but not really since the last few seasons of The Shadow have nearly all or all episodes lost).

Bill Johnstone isn't bad as The Shadow, plus he's an old character actor who appears in many other radio programs like X-Minus One.

Here's one of my favorite episodes:

youtube.com/watch?v=N60B_uCJZxg

I love audio dramas. If it's Superman ones you want I would suggest Final Crisis, Doomsday and Beyond and Trail of Time,there are other good ones too though.

Also there's a podcast thats called The Power Record podcast that plays the old Power Record shows, and there are quite a few Superman ones.

No love for Canada's greatest hero?

decoderringtheatre.com/shows/red-panda-adventures/

It's not like I was going to say it was Wolverine.

That art reminds me of Blacksword for some reason and I can't say why. Thanks for the memories, at least.

I didn't like that one too much. The comics were pretty good though.

There were a lot of problems with Fallout 4 but this alone made it worthwhile.

youtube.com/watch?v=m7ICBPF7Hwo

Does anyone else listen to Skald? It's by a former editor/writer for Marvel.

Honestly that sounds nice in theory but it gets old real quick in practice, especially when you get the actors trying to do old-timey accents over it.

I don't know, I've been listening to the old Power Records and the pops and clicks sound good.

That's because it's genuine. When people fake it, it's almost always annoying and over the top.

I think it's because you can tell when it's been digitally added instead of genuine. Like how movies filmed with modern camera's look like shit in black and white but old film noir look great.

There's already the Red Panda Adventures

I lean hard toward DC, but if I were going to listen to a radio drama about an existing superhero IP that isn't an old pulp hero, I'd want it to be Daredevil.

But really I want an audio-drama podcast of The Spider.

Also both companies already make audio dramas, you just have to pay for them
The Daredevil ones are pretty good.

I'm talking on an official level. Like, an audio drama/radio serial for Superman or Batman, but completely sanctioned by DC Comics.

They already do that, the quality is top notch. Each are fully acted with sound effects and soundtracks.

Well no writer today has the guts to make him fight a non-white racial supremacy group, so probably.

Hm. How white is the UN?

Really?

What was it like before most place had air conditioning?

I'm aware of GraphicAudio as well. I think I may have deleted my copy of "52" though.

But these are adaptations of novelizations. I'm talking straight original stories, if not adaptations of older comic book storylines.

I really don't see the difference between adapting the novelizations and making new stories, unless you've already read the novelization. They have been doing that with some of the Marvel adaptations. They also did a straight adaptation of the graphic novel Cemetery Girl.

From what I've figured, adaptations can have more third-person narration ripped straight from the novel, while modern audio dramas try to avoid having narration unless it comes directly from a character in the story.

I guess it's just a personal preference; I've been listening to a lot of audio dramas over the past year or so.

I think it works for the Graphic Audio ones and a lot of them do use character narration, the Rocket Raccoon one has really good narration by a robot character in it and the other ones mostly use Richard Rohan and he has such a bombastic voice that it works.
Some of the modern audio dramas I listen too use narration, the one that jumps to mind is Wooden Overcoats.

Well, once I get through the rest of my 90-hour queue, I might give the GraphicAudio dramas another listening.

I would suggest the No Man's Land one if you haven't listened to that one, it's probably the best one.

While I'm not surprised I do wish Sup Forums had more interest in the heritage represented by pulp heroes.