What's an example of an amazing comic that got a sequel that blew chunks?

What's an example of an amazing comic that got a sequel that blew chunks?

hey man starcraft 2 is fun

Kingdom Come is a good example.

perhaps even watchmen

Blew chunks, meaning sucked?

I don't understand what people hate about SC2. The story isn't as raw and emotional, sure, and the characters fall a little more flat, but certainly not to the extent of totally writing the game off. Is it a competitive thing? Because most people aren't good enough for that to matter.
Maybe we just all grew up.

Yeah, I'm not happy with how this was handled, but the game isn't terrible because of it.

Dark Knight Returns is the ultimate example. Batman Year One as well to a lesser extent.

almost every successful comic that gets a sequel just made to bring cash in with nothing of what made the original special and good

The first one was surprisingly well written; especially considering the time and genre of the game. SC2's story was all flash and cliches. None of the characters felt anywhere near as interesting as they did in the first, and it seemed like way more focus was put on making cool moments for the cutscenes than an actual engaging plot.

>Starcraft 1
>well written
As someone who is replaying the game right now let me tell you how much bullshit that is

more importantly, minerals are harvested in , instead of 8, and the pathfinding doesnt suck

fucking bullshit

I think I can agree to this. It's been years since I read Kingdom Come though and I was admittely high as balls at the time. But I do remember feeling disappointed with the follow-up.

>playing starcraft for the campaign

mostly we play for the gameplay, and the the sweet sci-fi destruction

How the hell is Starcraft a sci-fi destruction?

lots of explosions from the future

Top 10, one of Alan Moore's lesser know works. The sequel was written by Top 10's artist and I could barely get a chapter in before the terrible was too much

Runaways.
>Amazing art
>Pretty good pacing
>Suddenly they hire the shittiest artist and make retarded arcs

To be fair she was kidnapped and had all kinds of horrible zerg stuff done to her, it's not like she was in her right state of mind or anything. From Jim's point of view, the Kerrigan he knew before and the Kerrigan that was the Queen of Blades were effectively 2 different people.

Keeping this in mind, it was not unreasonable for Jim to miss the women he knew and cared for, while hating the monster she had become.

>lots of explosions from the future
I think you mean "in the future".

If you want explosions ~from~ the future, you're looking for Achron.

Still didn't stop him from saving her in wings of liberty or Kerrigan saving him.

But most of the criticism comes from the fact that there was nothing resembling a romance between the two in Starcraft 1

They had a literal dues ex machina that could turn her back into a human, before the overmind and the zerg messed with her head. They could turn her human, saving her and defeating the zerg at the same time. When they were in a position to kill her at the end of wings of liberty, she wasn't really the queen of blades anymore, she was as she was before all that happened. It made perfect sense for Jim to try and save her.

The 2nd part however I will grant you up to a point. While I agree that there wasn't really a romance or anything between them, there were hints. Not huge ones by any stretch but they were present. That being said, I do agree they played up their relationship a lot more than was originally present.

>she was as she was before all that happened
And then heart of the swarm happened

>Saving a monster that literally murdered fenix, the most dude bro protoss there was.

The dude got fucked up hard, almost died, threw him into a dragoon and was like "ah it's cool, lets keep kicking ass man! I'm happy to be fighting again even if it is trapped inside this machine."

Like kerrigan was the cause of so much death that even when she was "back to the way she was" she was still an aggressive anti-soical cunt that fucked everyone over as much as possible for her own gain.

They just threw a dart at a list of names and said "That's it, thats our SC jesus" and wrote a shit story based around that regardless of pre-established character feelings.

They even wrote in the fact that even in brood war when she was free from the overmind, she was still a backstabbing bitch. This whole "changing" thing is bullshit, because she was her own independant mind that was suggested through the overmind to do his bidding. She was on the level of a cerebrate without looking like some intestine looking fucker whose immobile. Her main goal was to progress the swarm, while having free thought, at no point after the death of the overmind, did she not have free will to not be an asshole. Let's make that clear.

The Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

>Implying that Fenix is a bigger dude bro then Tassadar

In her defense, she did just hear that the one person who believed in her and risked everything to try and save her was killed, trying to save her a 2nd time no less. Plus good old Acturas was directly responsible for her becoming a monster in the first place. Her want revenge against him and to finally put a stop to him was a fairly understandable reaction to events.

I mean, from her perspective, she literally had nothing left except her revenge and was perfectly willing to die for her crimes at Jim's hands when she rescued him after finding out he was still alive.

seeAlso consider you yourself said it was her purpose to advance the swarm. That directive that was put into her continued even after the overminds death. Meanwhile she had free thought and will, she was still bound to advance the swarm. She was never truly free as a zerg, she just had more options to kill people.

>Starcraft 1
>one of the best RTS ever made, plays like a well oiled machine
>incredibly well balanced (after a while)
>still played competitively over a decade after release and after the release of the sequel

>Starcraft 2
>plays clunky
>balance is all over the show
>competitive game dies out fast

Gameplaywise there's no redemption, and since it's a videogame that's it, show's over. So it's already a total failure, the story being incredibly stupid and a total departure from the tone of the original while butchering the characters was the shitty icing on the cake. It was just fucking Warcraft in space by the end.

And then, on top of that, they made people buy it three times.

Buying it three times means that the story and characters were far more fleshed out then what the original game and brood war ever did.

>play SC for years
>eventually stop
>friends start playing SC2 and urge me to pick it up
>play 1 game
>never play again
Not sure why, I think the gameplay in 2 was too fast-paced for me. I don't play vidya to get heart attacks.

>Starcraft 1
>Plays like a well oiled machine

You're either Korean, or haven't played it in a long time, cause as much as I love this game, playing it past minute 10 is a god micro hell unless you're playing protons

>first game is three campaigns in one purchase
>second game is each campaign is split episodically then priced at full cost for maximum shekels
>this was totally done to make the story better though t. blizzard

If by fleshed out you mean there was straight up more story and cutscenes and crap sure, but quality>quantity. SC1 was grim sci-fi with internal rifts, backstabbing and politicking, and did that more then well enough despite obvious limitations. SC2 was Warcraft in space with armageddon prophecies, romance forced out of nowhere, paper thin characters and ending with a literal magic god showing up with most of the dialogue just being about Kerrigan in some way.

SC1 with BW is a far better story then SC2 parts 1, 2 and 3.

>not having 400+ APM
It's like playing a magnificent musical instrument.

At least SC2 explains and sets up things far better then SC1+BW.

She was free, but she had a purpose. She could have thrown that purpose away because she still had free will. The overmind gave her that along with a thinking mind compared to the other cerebrates.

Instead of choosing to not be a bitch she decided after the overmind died and she killed the other cerebrates who tried to control the zerg, to just kill everything and expand the zerg.

She had choices, but she was a cunt, that was her character pure and simple. Then they try to redeem her with a bunch of forced romance and other dumb garbage and then top it off by making her into space jesus.

No she was an asshole, and everything they have chosen to do to ruin any characterization that SC1 made was to make kerrigan not look like such a piece of shit. But in the end it didn't matter because everyone hated the story and saw past their bullshit. Go figure.

Explains what? The creation of the Zerg and Protoss and life itself? The Zerg and Protoss were totally fine as just other dominant alien species that humanity encountered who presumably just evolved, and that explanation was more then sufficient for all of SC1, and would have been for SC2 if they hadn't decided to go full extra dimensional omnipotent beings.

The origin of the Zerg wasn't some huge gaping mystery plothole in SC1. They were aliens.

Explain details, like how Jimmy has a giant space ship all the sudden
>The creation of the Zerg and Protoss and life itself? The Zerg and Protoss were totally fine as just other dominant alien species that humanity encountered who presumably just evolved, and that explanation was more then sufficient for all of SC1, and would have been for SC2 if they hadn't decided to go full extra dimensional omnipotent beings
Someone didn't read the manual for the original game, so that's all on you buddy.

No in fact you probably didn't even play the game, because by the end of the zerg campaign the Overmind gives one line about how both the Zerg and Protoss were created by the Xelnaga.

>It was just fucking Warcraft in space by the end.
Pity it's not literally Warcraft in space.

I want to do lewd things with the banshee pilot.

>like how Jimmy has a giant space ship all the sudden
It's a videogame
>because by the end of the zerg campaign the Overmind gives one line about how both the Zerg and Protoss were created by the Xelnaga
No he doesn't. He says he was created by the Xel'Naga and that they have been to Aiur before. You can extrapolate whatever you want from that but it's just an indication that there is a predecessor race, not that there's beings living outside of time and space that control everything.

Nothing that is "explained" in SC2 was something that required explanation in the first place to get SC1, and the parts of the story that were continued were totally driven into the ground.

?

Again Starcraft manual buddy, clearly said that Xelnaga created both Zerg and Protos.

That's the point tho. She could not throw away that purpose. Expanding the swarm as all she considered, every thought on her mind, every action she ever took was for that purpose. She had 'free will' in that she could now execute that purpose as she saw fit, but she was still bound by it, she couldn't just destroy or be rid of the swarm and assume for a second that she could, where else would she go?. Pretty much everyone wanted to kill her because she was zerg, the protoss would have hunted and kill her because she was zerg, Mensk would have done it because he was an evil asshole who needed her dead so he could sell his 'i'm totaly not an evil overlord' shtick to the people and the UED would basically have done the same because their best experience with an infested Terran got one of their best officers murdered, who was a good friend of the guy heading up the entire expeditionary force.

dem tiddies

My nigga. Everyone waifus Medic, anyway.
If you buy some of Wings of Liberty fancy special editions, you get avatar in form of Night Elf Banshee pilot. Then there are Tauren, Orc, Pandaren, Diablo characters, wacky shit.

>manual
Who cares? It's an optional side material that isn't necessary to play, understand or enjoy the game or its story. SC1 is one complete videogame experience that, while not perfect (except for gameplay) was an effectively told story with no huge gaping holes or questions apart from where the story and characters went to next. SC2 went full space fantasy in a complete reversal of the originals tone.

Starcraft was the first game I remember anticipating and then buying on release day. Its a real classic. Starcraft 2 on the other hand is just another generic game. Just like everything made by blizz since Activision bought them out its a soulless and poor derivative of the original product.

They got big, they got devout audience. You've read enough comics to know what happens then.
Unless you're Morrison, bald fucker gives 101% all the time, it seems.

>Who cares
Lore fags, and the manual is important because it gives a huge amount of backstory. It explains why the templars looks down and hate the dark templars, it explains how the zerg travel from planet to planet, it explains why humans are there in the first place, it explains why they glassed Mensk's home world and it explains how humans came in contact with the protoss in the first place.

Wings was such a disappointment that I didn't bother getting HotS or LotV. though I did watch the cutscenes on youtube because I wanted to see where the plot was going.

What I saw was so painfully disappointing. The worst part of all is that the overall plot was just thrown out in favour of AN ANCIENT ALL POWERFULL EVIL!!111.

Not to mention the fact that the Protoss suddenly are more like faggy Draenei mormons instead of the badass truly original alien society we saw in the original game.

All of those can be extrapolated from the game even if they aren't directly stated. You literally see the Zerg flying through space at one point. If it's not actually a part of the game, then regardless of what's in it, it's not part of the games story or discussion of it. It's optional.

And I can tell you right now, the lorefags who actually did read all that side shit were the ones the most pissed with what they decided to "explain" in SC2.

>spoiler
Which was set up in Brood War
>truly original alien society we saw in the original game
>A warrior theology
>truly original

No the lorefags who read that shit are the ones who are pissing off at the people reacting to it in SC2, because they would have known all that if they read the manual.

I was browsing the Starcraft generals when HotS and LotV were released, the lorefags were the most vocally pissed.

Nowhere in the manual for SC1 does it say an extradimensional alien race that exists outside of time and space and creates universes are behind everything.

But it does say that an alien race created the protos and zerg.

There are ways to have that be true, especially in something that was hard sci-fi, without fantasy gods.

It's because Sup Forums hates every game that came out after they were 13 years old.

Starcraft a hard sci-fi? Don't kid yourself, the zerg alone disqualifies it as a hard sci-fi

Why does miles have such plump, kissable lips?

Marvel: Eye of the Camera's sequel was pretty shitty.