The mandate from Jeff Bezos is clear: Bring me “Game of Thrones.”

>The mandate from Jeff Bezos is clear: Bring me “Game of Thrones.”

>That’s the word that has the creative community buzzing this week about a major strategy shift underway for Amazon Studios’ original series efforts.

>The CEO of the e-commerce giant is said to have tasked Amazon Studios chief Roy Price with honing the focus on high-end drama series with global appeal. Amazon’s decision this week to scrap plans for a second season of period drama “Z: The Beginning of Everything” reflects the new marching orders.

What book series is there left for a "mature" show. Would a witcher tv series be fitting for this type of show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trigan_Empire
variety.com/2016/film/news/brandon-sanderson-cosmere-movie-adaptation-dmg-1201902500/
tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-cooks-the-black-company-series-coming-to-television-to-star-eliza-dushku/
hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-bring-magic-gathering-big-670529
collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/
deadline.com/2017/01/dmg-f-scott-frazier-adapting-mistborn-the-final-empire-brandon-sanderson-1201895621/
tor.com/2016/10/27/brandon-sandersons-cosmere-universe-movie-rights-sold-to-dmg-entertainment/
thewrap.com/lin-manuel-miranda-produce-feature-film-tv-series-kingkiller-chronicle/
deadline.com/2017/05/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series-1202095582/
variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fug Drumpf: the series

Books are probably tapped out, they should look to video game franchise stories and make a TV series based on that, get some decent screen writers so they arent tied down to books like how GoT is

The writing for the newer seasons is shit without GRRM's books

They hired Wong Kar-wai for an uncoming Amazon Tv Show too.

Bezos wants to beat Netflix and HBO but keeps failing, just look at that Woody Allen's show.

well at least we'll get a decent amount of high-production-value failures

They're going to be scouring the fantasy section for stuff. Expect Black Company or Gardens of the Moon to get considered, or Eyes of the Dragon with the success of It.

>The writing for the newer seasons is shit without GRRM's books

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

There is only so much good material to adapt and only so many decent creatives out there to work on your shit. Every tech company nowadays is making an entertainment division it seems. Some are going to be disappointed in the results, no matter how much money and effort they pour into it.

SO wheel of time coming to amazon, confirmed?

What if crazy thought I know they did an ORIGINAL show and NOT adapt an existing IP?

So they are probably going to start making tv shows of Raymond E. Feist books now....

DISCWORLD

you crazy dawg

>hollywood actually coming up with anything of their own in the current year.

>Gardens of the Moon
>got budget
Oh god yes

>decent screen writers
Uh, about that...

Black Company would be nice

>Books are probably tapped out
Spotted the youngfag.

MISTBORN NOW.

Guys I'm about to start working for amazon in their warehouse.

However I'm also a small-time director and cinematographer.

Should I film something and pitch it to them? I can guarantee some degree of quality having worked pretty high end productions as either director, DP, or PA (for really high end shit).

WARHAMMER 40k

Everyone who wants to make the next Game of Thrones needs to realize that its success has to nothing to do with it being a fantasy

The show spends 99% of its runtime as a soap opera. Rivaling families doing nasty thngs to one another with most of the plot being propelled forward on a sheer stupidity of the characters. It helps that GURM as a former screenwriter already gave the books an episodic tempo so they had an easy time getting that on TV.

People are not embarassed to watch it only because it hides its nature behind high budget, good acting and the 1% of the runtime it turns into a fantasy. It doesn't really matter that it is finally turning into a full blown fantasy because the audience is already fully hooked in.

That's why Malazan or Wheel of Time or Black Company can never achieve the same success as TV shows.

t. brainlet

They had a cast better than or as good as HBO's Silicon Valley in their Betas show. But they canned that show to make Transparent because politics. And Transparent has lost Amazon money every show but it keeps getting awards for virtue signaling.

Conan mythos
Brandon Sanderson Stormlight Archive

Actually the real reason it was a success is the same reason LOST was a success.

Exotic setting + large main cast so that anyone in the audience can identify and root for their favorite character(s)

after that you just need to write a story based on cliffhangers that keeps the tension up and make it so characters are shuffled around so they can play off each other

but basically if GoT didn't feature Dany and Arya for instance it would lose a lot of the female viewers and would likely be far less popular

The Silmarillion?

Jeff seems like a moderately intelligent guy who got really lucky on one thing he did so now he assumes he's a genius at everything

>books are done let's move on to video games

You fucking man-child

PLEASE make it happen

Vinland Saga

just get fincher and jake to make an alan wake tv series

Good Christian Fantasy like Gemmell's stuff.

Black Company and Gardens of the Moon would be shit series. They need something with GoT intrigue like Assassin's Apprentice.

Assassin's Apprentice is even worse than A Shit of Ass and Farts

The problem with this thread is that GoT only works because women are watching it. You're recommending books that men like.

First someone needs to identify what stupid bullshit about GoT makes it appealing to women, and copy that

>Christian Fantasy
We already have Bible movies. They suck.

i heartily support this.

>First someone needs to identify what stupid bullshit about GoT makes it appealing to women
>Pretty costumes
>Pretty princesses
>Yasss queen pandering

Yes try to send your resume and film to top management

Tolkien BTFO

What was Daenerys' diarrhoea policy?

kaffirs blown the fuck out

Well they did Harry Potter and Batman already,I mean how many books could there possibly be?

>GoT went to shit after the writers lost the books as a resource so let's make a TV series based on a video game that decreases the amount of well-written source material even further

mmmmmmmmmmm what a lovely neck

>Conan mythos
Uh,hello,he already has a show.
Thank you,your welcome

But that story has an end,got can just stumble on and on if they want.

I'd like to see an HBO level drama tackle the Crusades/Crusader States.

they should just adapt the first book anyway, everything after that is trash

well, God Emperor is good, but it will be a shitshow to adapt it and the normies wont like it anyway

Be honest, guys.

Should Bezos naysayers be burned alive or buried alive? This comment has no affiliation with Bezos or Amazon and should be taken as purely inquisitory.

book of the new sun would be dank
it's basically just an edgy anime witha love story, normies would eat that shit up

What draws people into GoT is the faux-politics, the violence and the sex
Not the setting

To make a new GoT, you have to recreate all of that.
Consider that the Walking Dead used to be (if it isn't still) the most watched cable tv show by a clear margin. It has two of those elements. Constant inter-societal politics, constant violence. It's only missing sex. So imagine how successful it'd be with nudity
And consider how many people circlejerk over House of Cards

So what would work? A show based on any post-apocalypse scenario could do it. So something like fallout would work. Or a live-action Gundam show
/Just my 2 cents

This guy gets it

Dragonriders of Pern, maybe? Dragons seem to be the cool thing now.

>Constant inter-societal politics, constant violence. It's only missing sex. So imagine how successful it'd be with nudity

They want to adapt high school of the dead?

They couldn't get through all the books if they made tv series for the next 1000 years.

>W.H. 40k

We're getting closer and closer guys. I can feel it. It's just a matter of time now.

I could die happy after watching a full high budget top produced Eisenhorn series.

Lads how would this be anything other than total dogshit
Let's ignore the whole "there's no women and no nig nogs" part, the things they are fighting, Orks and Tyranids, would have to be CGI. The space marine suits themselves, even

And when the Warcraft movie can't manage to not look pretty ridiculous in spots how is some TV/Netflix show going to manage it?
How many bazillions of dollars would you have them spend per episode?

Maybe it would work as a cartoon

>bring me game of thornes!
>after game of thrones has shit the bed and been reduced to total idiocy

>Jeff seems like a moderately intelligent guy who got really lucky on one thing

Nigga Bezos is a near fucking genius. In his area of business expertise he's in the neighborhood of a Steve Jobs.

The only problem is that television production is not his primary area of expertise.

>steve jobs
You almost got me

"What?! There are still white male fantasy stories that haven't been Judaized or feminized?! Bring them to me...."

A fantasy show set in Warhammer fantasy universe following faithfu/true blue-yet-reasonable Witch Hunter and his investigations. Arcs of his crusade against chaos and corruption, butting heads with zealot Witch Hunters and the Colleges of Magic, other races, Skaven infestations, and other aspects of Empire society. Set it before the End Times and end the series with him being wrongfully (and intentionally) burned at the stake to keep the Empires secrets.

the point of the warhammer series is that all this tyranny & cruelty is absolutely necessary
So if they showed a "moderate" witch hunter who spares a heretic then gets punished for it, that would be good.

Why can't some studio do all the "Perry Rhodan" stuff?

This is our chance bois, D&D and 90% of GoT cast have proven that you don't need talent, charisma or any skills whatsoever to get big in tv. Any retard can make it.

Hillary vs Drumpf fantasy allegory would be incredible.

Yes, say the the final arc is a noble who is a Slaanesh cultist getting a trail by cake by inquisitors, obviously passing, and then the protagonist shoots him dead.

Before it happening, show a Witch Hunter captain poisoning pieces of cake for other's trials to solidify the faith of lower ranking Witch Hunters and Empire Citizens. Nesscessary tyranny and corruption, with the utter absurdness of the WFB is rife with good and fun stories without needing to hire an ivy league trustfund baby to write about his tours though wine country or DRUMPF. It would definately be something different, yet familiar

I've never watched/read it because the concept sounded so stupid...
Assuming I'm not the sort of person who watches anime or enjoys anime tropes, is it any good?

>40k would be impractical to produce.

That is why specifically said it should be based off of the Eisenhorn series.

NO WAY do I think they should they base a live action series on any Space Marine chapter.

Eisenhorn is a regular human. Not s 7 ft. tall armor clad super soldier. He spends much of his time hobnobbing with aristocrats and politicians in imperial palaces and the highest levels of society trying to root out deep seeded instances of chaos and corruption.

His top right hand parter is a hot as fuck chick that he keeps around to guard against psychic attacks.

Eisenhorn is the leader of his team in much the same way Gibbs is the leader of his team in CSI. Except that Eisenhorn is WAY more badass. And Gibbs doesnt carry a badass living sword that hungers for blood.

In a smartly produced tv series actual Space Marines would only show up in special occasions.

Too obscure. Although starting out as fantsy and then shifting to hard scifi once the southern continent is explored could be amazing.

Good, the tic is about the only good thing they have right now.

? Sounds fucking terrible
You want to produce some awful sci-fi drama with romance and other nonsense.

>>bring me game of thornes!
>>after game of thrones has shit the bed and been reduced to total idiocy

it's more successful than it's ever been though

if viewing figures was in decline you would be right

It could get crazy. Our witch hunter chasing a petty thief though a city, following him as he runs across roof tops and dwellings, our witch hunter chasing him like a basic law man chasing a criminal. The thief runs into a building and the Witch Hunter kicks in the door and SUPRISE Slaaneshi Orgy and summoned Daemon

Books are good because they come with an audience and most of the script is written for you.

>Soap opera with GRRRRLL POWER princesses and dragons.

Gee I wonder why women watch it?

Make this:

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trigan_Empire

>the Tigan empire

?

He should buy the entertainment division of TimeWarner from AT&T

>40K
Too right wing and authoritarian. They would never go for it.

Bring back Alpha House.

>Gardens of the Moon

lmao have fun adapting Malazan

pic related is just the opening battle

>Romance

The Eisenhorn series doesn't have any romance. Maybe a the smallest amount of sexual tension between him and the hot chick and an ex gf that shows up way later but thats it.

Also name ONE (1) hit dramatic series without romance or at least a strong female presence, just one....I'll wait.

But all this talk about romance is besides the point. The fact is the Eiesnhorn series can go deepest and farthest into the obscurities of the world of 40k because he is bothb
a regular human and an Inqisitor, so he has the authority to go literally anywhere in the Imperium at any time. The danger and drama that entails is insane. Some of his missions are fucking intense some even even require help from Space Marines.

The closest I can describe Eisenhorn is James Bond in space, except James Bond doesn't usually travel with a crew the way Eisenhorn does.

Sanderson cinematic universe is in the works apparently

variety.com/2016/film/news/brandon-sanderson-cosmere-movie-adaptation-dmg-1201902500/

>What book series is there left for a "mature" show.
Black Company

>Why can't some studio do all the "Perry Rhodan" stuff?
Absolutely zero brand recognition in Burgerstan.

Not fantasy, but why not Assassins Creed? Lots of easy plot devices, already been a movie, normies think its super deep

This is all the fantasy shit in development. Probably more.

>The Black Company
tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-cooks-the-black-company-series-coming-to-television-to-star-eliza-dushku/

>Magic the Gathering
hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-bring-magic-gathering-big-670529

>Dungeons & Dragons (Forgotten Realms)
collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

>Mistborn
deadline.com/2017/01/dmg-f-scott-frazier-adapting-mistborn-the-final-empire-brandon-sanderson-1201895621/

>Stormlight Archive
tor.com/2016/10/27/brandon-sandersons-cosmere-universe-movie-rights-sold-to-dmg-entertainment/

>Kingkiller Chronicle
thewrap.com/lin-manuel-miranda-produce-feature-film-tv-series-kingkiller-chronicle/

>The Witcher
deadline.com/2017/05/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series-1202095582/

>The Wheel of Time
variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

It's shit

This.

>Bezos is the new Harvey Weinstein but a hundred times richer

I'm going to be pretty upset if the reason that CP2077 is still more-or-less vaporware five fucking years after being announced is because CDPR is working on a Witcher TV show.

Space Marines don't make for compelling long term successful television. You have to give women something to watch for a high budget tv show. Just unending combat broken up by period of quiet reflection and prayer in the bowels of spaceship isn't something women are going to watch.

CDPR has nothing to do with it.
Platige Image (the studio that made those CGI intros to the games) however has plenty.

Could they do a Night Angel series? Dude's an assassin and then turns into a demon or some shit. Could lay on the romance easily.
Was this series even good? I read it years ago, pretty sure there's a duderape scene early on. Always a fan favorite.

Please don't bite her