Can someone explain why people find Monty Python funny? Why is it considered "intellectual" humor?

Can someone explain why people find Monty Python funny? Why is it considered "intellectual" humor?

To begin, explain the humor of this quote:
>We are no longer the knights who say Ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
What is funny about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

openculture.com/2013/07/the-most-intellectual-jokes-our-favorite-open-culture-reader-submissions.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts&ab_channel=MontyPython
youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo
youtube.com/watch?v=hvQq_tqB0jA
youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
youtu.be/mBL3XB-PhE8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who considers it "intellectual" humor?
It's just absurd and silly.

Don't associate the people who watch the film with the nature of the film silly billy.

For the British accent I suppose.

t. brainlet

It's absurdist improv. It's basic ass intellectual humor
Class 1: Slapstick
Class 2: Irony
Class 3: Absurdism
Class 4: Slapstick

>I can only assume two things here (perhaps making an an ass of u and me): the writer is not an “american” and is something of a connoisseur of what he or she calls “intelligent humor.” I am very sympathetic. Whether this person has in mind the mordant absurdism of Beckett, the trenchant wit of Swift or Wilde, the surrealistic flights of farce in Vonnegut, or the heights of high-toned silliness in Monty Python, I can’t say. All of these are excellent examples of "intelligent humor."
openculture.com/2013/07/the-most-intellectual-jokes-our-favorite-open-culture-reader-submissions.html

>he doesn't think its funny
Brainlet

some kind of linguistics humor.

You're a biggus dickus

not an argument

Why is intelligent humor so toothless? It's clever but it never has the umph to make me laugh out loud.

Best Monty Python joke is the dirt farmer from Holy Grail. Political humor that insults both left and right wing equally.

None if these require more than a middle school education. Is this what's considered intellectual in America?

So without further going-on about it, here are a few of my favorite Open Culture readers’ “intellectual jokes” (with my editorial intrusions in brackets):

Rene Descartes is attending a soiree at the Palais Versailles. A sommelier approaches and asks, “Monsieur Descartes, would you like a glass of wine?” Descartes pauses and answers, “I think not.” And poof!–he disappears.
[This one’s not particularly funny—it’s cute—but I quite like the specificity in the setup and the fun surprise of "poof!"]

I used to be a structural linguist, but now I’m not Saussure.
[Told you I like puns]

Masochist walks up to a sadist in a bar, says to the sadist “hurt me.” Sadist says “no.”
What do you get when you combine a joke with a rhetorical question?
[So dry and deadpan, these two. Love it.]

What did the indigenous person say to the postmodern anthropologist? “Can we talk about me for a change?”
[A little crack at navel-gazing po-mo academics—part of a popular genre]

Blind guy with a seeing eye dog walks into a department store. Guy picks up dog by the tail and starts swinging him around over his head. Clerk rushes over and says nervously “Can I help you sir?” Guy replies: “No thanks, I’m just looking around.”
[I don’t think the content of this one is particularly “intellectual,” but the style is—it’s dark and weird and skirts a line between slapstick and cruelty, requiring a morbid and elastic imagination.]

Q: What does a dyslexic, agnostic insomniac do? A: Stays up nights wondering if there’s a dog.
JOKE: What do Japanese pigeons sing? Answer: High Coos
[More puns, bless ‘em]

Argon walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says, “sir, we don’t serve noble gasses.” There was no reaction.

It was groundbreaking humour, everything beforehand was dry as a bone and the python's come along and get all silly.

It's called being experimental.

>tfw understood all these jokes immediately without needing Google

The humour of the Knights who say Ni scene comes from how absurd it is

Why is there an order of knights who say ni?
Why does them simply saying "ni" make king arthur and his knights recoil in fear/pain?
Why do they want a shrubbery when they live in the middle of a forest?
Why have they suddenly changed the word around which their order is based? This new word doesn't seem to have any effect on king arthur and his knights at all
Why do they get hurt by hearing a simple word such as "it"?

No one considers the holy grail as """intellectual""" humour though (maybe apart from the political peasant sketch), i think that's more reserved for meaning of life/flying circus

The Rick and Morty of your parents' generation. You know it's true.

The Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) are probably the smartest comedies I've ever seen.

>tfw you love Monty Python and want to participate, but you hate every single post in this thread so far and don't want to talk to these people

t. brainlet who needs everything spelled out

Something inside me just died

how not to be seen? or something to that effect, was the only watchable thing from monty python

>tfw to intelligent for humor

spelled out? You just called him a brainlet and nothing else

It's a parody of European folk lore and Arthurian myths that are far beyond your comprehension if you've never thought about how absurd the questing Beast is.

>What do you get when you combine a joke with a rhetorical question?
liked this one

>[I don’t think the content of this one is particularly “intellectual,” but the style is—it’s dark and weird and skirts a line between slapstick and cruelty, requiring a morbid and elastic imagination.]
What did he mean by this?

I kind of hate the way you type.

yah it just aint i mean woody allen with a big rolling tit did a better job

The blind guy and the last 3 are brainlet tier, but the rest are clever. They don't make people laugh out loud though.

haha dude is smart intellectual because know words

this desu. the proto redd*t: the tv show

>Can someone explain why people find Monty Python funny? Why is it considered "intellectual" humor?
Because, it is funny. I guess some people consider it to be "intellectual" because the movies and tv show often poked fun of society, and wasn't just a bunch of dick/fart jokes; though, they had those too. Life of Brian is my favorite. Over the top silly, while having a decent knowledge of historical and bible references. It's also funny that Life of Brian triggered people so bad, that it was banned in some places.

are you literally niggers?

Don't know about the series but the films are pure kino. The Life of Brian obviously being the best one.

youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts&ab_channel=MontyPython

Best sketch

It's funny & intellectual to a degree. Personally I find the whole
>Durr Europeans burned random people for being witches for no reasonwhatsoever
To be a little bourgeoise. Most of the time Europeans men and women were accused if witchcraft was due to not understanding mental illnesses such as schizophrenia , it wasn't just anti-intellectualism.

haha am dum becoz skinn color oof

There is nothing funny about the quote. The humor is in Arthur's reaction and his work-around.

The follow up is even funnier - his reaction to the challenge of cutting down a tree with a herring.

A lot of niche British comedies get their respect on Sup Forums but I've never ever seen a good Monty Python thread.

4 you

this is just the sort blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage..

Try this one:

A Zen Buddhist walks up to a hotdog cart and says, "Make me one with everything."

well your pic was funnier than all those jokes combined

>We are no longer the knights who say Ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!
>What is funny about it?
It's funny because it's unexpected and the sounds are random and funny as fuck. Say it out loud and try not to smile. It's impossible.

The witch bit is fantastic at highlighting logical fallacies.

>minimizing nihilism
cuck, and baboon

Dude, they walk funny. Don't you get it?

>but I've never ever seen a good Monty Python thread.

There was one just the other day.

>Can someone explain why people find Monty Python funny? Why is it considered "intellectual" humor?
I bet you think Louis CK is funny.

BIGUS

You have too much access to all kinds of shit now, it's easy for you to blurt out wah wah I don't find this funny. Back when it was released it was ground breaking and something that appealed to people who liked off the wall humour.

youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo

The fuck is a seeing eye dog? You mean a guide dog?

So basically it's only good if it's your only option.

>There are some who call me.......Tim.

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore is kino British comedy. Them corpsing adds to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=hvQq_tqB0jA

fuck off and die. not everything has to be deep and clever. some things are just viscerally funny.

I fucking love philosophers football
honestly my favorite

as to why people love monty python, I dunno it's just funny.

Off yourself

Nope, People are a bit more brain dead these days and just consume the American sitcom formula and less creative of mind.
Monty Python took risks and had different people writing gags/sketches. Some of their gags won't be as funny as others.

You are a bit right there though, in the UK at that time we may of only had 3 channels, not sure maybe channel 4 too.

>she turned me into a newt!
>....a newt?
>well I got better.
I fucking love this shit remember when humour was not about a shirtless fat guy screamming poopy jokes for americans audiences

Brits really pride themselves in banter but all of their jokes are reeaally fucking cringey
Its the kindof stuff you find funny as a kid. Its like brits never grow out of that sense of humor

Life of Brian is perfect satire without being self righteous shit

it is a genius film. There other films are funny but none of them holds a candle to Life of Brian.

British humour
>high production costumes and well written dialogue with perfect pacing

American humour
>BAZINGA! I'M PICKLE RICK!

Their 'banter' is even worse than the humor.. saying cunt in every sentence is really reachin for the low hanging fruit

Some monty python jokes were actually quite funny for their time, but are dated in their references now.

The ministry of silly walks was originally poking fun at the British government for making pointless ministries which wasted money on things like Concorde, but most people just remember it as being LOL SILLY WALKS ARE SO RANDOM.

t. big bang theory viewer

It's just witty, silly, dumb fun.

If you outgrow the ability to get any enjoyment from that i feel bad for you.

haha dont u remember the guys playing trumpet with their butts in holy grail xD

Nothing John Cleese ever wrote can hold a candle to "I'M PICKLE RIIIIIIIIICK"

Meaning of Life was good just for the titties scene.

So the hot dog guy makes the ZB one with everything.
The ZB hands the HDG a $20, which he stuffs in his pocket.
The ZB says "What about my change?"
The HDG says "Change must come from within".

Tell this one with a group of girls.

Why doesn't Mr. and Mrs. Claus have any children?
Because Santa only comes once a year.

Girls always laugh at that.
Fucking women.

I find it funny. I don't consider it "intellectual humor" whatever the fuck that means. It's mostly just absurd and slapstick.

It's absurd and fun but many of the gags subtly poke fun at British society of the time and that's what makes it kind of clever.

>Nothing John Cleese ever wrote can hold a candle to "I'M PICKLE RIIIIIIIIICK"
Mom says go clean your room!

No one has ever made this claim other than OP, so he just made it up to justify his shitty thread. It's pretty funny seeing half of these people trying to sound super-smart just because they saw the word "intellectual" connected to something they like.

t. another brainlet

Yes exactly. About half is just absurdist farce, and the other half is "British people are terrified of embarrassment."

Monty Python basically invented absurdism and "random" humor. That's why it is so beloved.

Its because US comedians are all college/ high school dropouts whereas Monty Python, Rowan Atkinson etc. are all Cambridge and Oxford grads. Doesn't bother me though, funny is funny

Its not im in uni now and its fucking amazing how many eurotards find it funny and quote it.

Its like they only got tv and vhs over there with monty python on

Unironically better than everything else listed. Bravo!

No they did not invent absurdism. Don't try to sound smarter than you are. It never works out.

it's not fart jokes
>invented
yeah no one ever played around with sarcasm before monty python

*They pioneered absurdist humor on film*
That better?

I'm with you Python bro.

What's your favorite bit? Mine's the penguin on the TV set.

They didn't even do that. Cocteau, Rene Clair, and Renoir did it decades earlier.

Oh yes, a classic.

I like the Michelangelo skit from "Live at the Hollywood Bowl."

>Concorde
>useless

Fuck off jealous yank/envious krautlet

Bravo for that Class4. One of my most funny cinema experience was watching that funny abomination "Good Luck Chuck"

Four Yorkshiremen is funny even today.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

I hate how Descartes is always watered down to just the beginning of one of his talks when that wasn't even his overall thesis.

youtu.be/mBL3XB-PhE8

One of my favorites is the Piranha Brothers. The first 6-7 minutes are best.

You're overthinking this, OP.
Monty Python is meant to be nonsensical and just plain silly.

Perhaps it's just not your type of humor.

mostly french frogs that spurt this shit in my uni or them fucking middle european people like germans and swedes i thin ther was one russian fag making a jokoe about it in my class

>Can someone explain why people find Monty Python funny?
That's easy. You see, they have a good taste.