youtube.com/watch?v=zdPCt5ZEf40
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Leddit got it's hands on it

Contrarians.

too much sodium intake

>He's STILL pretending Rick and Morty isn't good
I know this board is known for contrarians but damn

This was a great episode though

autistic kids who believe that if they admit to enjoying something that's popular that makes them like everybody else, which gives them anxiety because their moms told them they were special

It exists.

I like the show a lot.
>but le epik redditor!!!!!!

S1E1

>though

>show becomes mainstream in a big way, way too quickly
>Dan Harmon is an insecure alcoholic and hires a bunch of women off twitter to make a point

"I'VE TURNED MYSELF INTO AN ANIME MORTY! I'M ANIME RICK!"

Female writers

I would unironically enjoy an episode where this happens if their satire of modern anime was accurate enough

Nothing?

I'm partial to the idea it was done as a criticism shied. They were clearly struggling to come up with enough material for each episode as early as season 2, so they hired a bunch of female writers to do one-off bullshit so the male writers could focus on keeping the show escalating. The shitty episodes would be shielded from criticism thanks to feminism, the great episodes would be hailed as great, so ultimately the entire season would have to be great.

I don't think things have really gone wrong. It's fine, the quality just varies a bit. As much as I hate to validate all the faggy fans, the high points are very high so when things get lazy or just average it's noticeable.

This tends to be when it's in episode is a parody territory or certain times it tries to be serious. Also those fucking improvised multiverse-tv episodes

>Also those fucking improvised multiverse-tv episodes
hey, those were good. whats wrong with a little improv

The first one was good. The second was was quite clearly strained far beyond the breaking point.

what went right?

No one gave a fuck about it, until they started an aggressive shilling campaign.
Then it became outright hated.
Anyway the board for cartoons is Sup Forums
Take your garbage there.

Well it's a fact that season 3 has been lackluster overall but there were shitty episodes in 1 and 2 as well. The new writers are obviously part of the problem, especially since they said they specifically are trying to develop Summer and Beth, and pretty much all of the scenes/side plots involving those 2 were boring wastes of space. Btw pickle rick was unfunny and stupid. Seems like there's a lot of good material left, but it's going to be mainly saved for the ongoing citadel storyline and everything in between is going to be pretty boring/stupid/outlets for female hires to get everything out of their systems.

christ you people cry shill more than Sup Forums

No one gave a fuck about rick and morty?

What?

>or certain times it tries to be serious
I can' think of a bad serious moment from the show to be honest.

>No one gave a fuck about it, until they started an aggressive shilling campaign.
Then it became outright hated.
>Then it became outright hated

What about the psychiatrist episode?

The only thing wrong with the psychiatrist episode was Beth's "Wong's a racist name lol" because it was completely out of character and clearly something Harmon threw in there because he knew people would eat it up.

all of the divorce segments were fucking atrocious

nothing its amazing

Social commentary.

Nothing, Sup Forums are just contrarian fucks as usual

How about how the episode starts off with beth implying she knows exactly what game rick is playing and just wants to hear him say it? Then needs the shit-eating self-insert counselor (not psychiatrist) to tell her what she already knew?

Like when? When Beth latches on to her father in S3E01? That was good because it showed her needy side which had been built up for two seasons finally win out against Jerry. What specifically?
Bullshit. Check this:
youtube.com/watch?v=zdPCt5ZEf40

literally every second of s03e02? Every second of s03e03? Every second of s03e04?

You posted the wrong image.

I'm a devout fan of the series and last night's episode was the first time I've ever turned it off out of boredom.

Pickle rick was shit too but the toxins one a couple weeks ago was great

The last episode was kino

Wait, are you serious? This episode was the first good episode of the entire season. Toxins was shitty.

>How about how the episode starts off with beth implying she knows exactly what game rick is playing and just wants to hear him say it?
What was wrong with it? It was completely in character. The divorce is fully underway and she doesn't want to believe that she put all her chips in a father who doesn't want to go to family therapy so she lies to herself.
>Then needs the shit-eating self-insert counselor
Whether she's a self-insert or not is irrelevant to the points brought up and how it affects the characters in an organic manner. Which happens.
>to tell her what she already knew?
This happens in real life all the time.
Which parts? Why were they bad?

You have absolutely awful taste and honestly it's at your own loss, I hope you take some time to think about what you enjoy

Okay, now read the entire post as if all parts of it are related to each other and one instance has to do with the next.

The problem with the episode is, in attempt develop beth, they put her intelligence on a slide-ruler so they can have the shit-eating self-insert be a mouthpiece for a particularly poor writer.

There was more development in the fact beth indicated she knew the syringe was meant to turn him into a human the second she was out the house than there was in the entire counseling session.

>1 bad apple

>they put her intelligence on a slide-ruler so they can have the shit-eating self-insert be a mouthpiece for a particularly poor writer.
That's not what happened. It was her denial reaching a fever pitch due to:
>The divorce is fully underway and she doesn't want to believe that she put all her chips in a father who doesn't want to go to family therapy so she lies to herself.
>There was more development in the fact beth indicated she knew the syringe was meant to turn him into a human the second she was out the house than there was in the entire counseling session.
Is the issue here the fact that Wong goes on a monologue about how life takes work and that it felt forced?

This

>replies line-by-line
>is literally autistic

No denial is indicated at any point until the self-insert starts insisting shes in denial, and then beth has to respond as if the self-insert is correct, because self-inserts are never wrong.

What did you not like about the new episode? It was funny and there was an actual plot. That's better than dogshit like toxins.

your mom's c-section, the doctor's say that's when most of the brain damage occurred

I believe the issue is they wasted the whole episode getting to that point when it could have been the second scene and then maybe Rick turns Morty into a dickle for the rest of the episode; double the character development because Mort gets to learn he kicks some serious ass if he puts the effort in.
>Dan Harmon sends me a job application

>Is the issue here the fact that Wong goes on a monologue about how life takes work and that it felt forced?
Yes

And the pickle shit just wasn't interesting. A big draw for the series is the novel and grand settings, which pickle rick completely failed to bring.

The point is the episode was already at that point. Already long past it when self-insert brings it up and everyone has to react as if the self-insert is absolutely correct, because self-inserts are never wrong/flawed.

>No denial is indicated at any point
It's been in there since the first season, man. Much more so in S2 where she is constantly defending Rick against Jerry.
I agree the pacing was off, but I'm also 100% certain it's exactly how Dan Harmon and whoever the fuck else wanted it. They know Rick's shenanigans are the primary draw of the show, not the drama. It just so happens the shenanigans in that episode overstayed itself a bit. It still works because after hearing about that other criminal guy lament the loss of his daughter, Rick decides to attend the therapy.
>double the character development because Mort gets to learn he kicks some serious ass if he puts the effort in.
We learned that in the pilot.
>Yes
But that's par for the course of Rick & Morty. It is sporadic throughout the entire series. Why is there an issue now?
>And the pickle shit just wasn't interesting. A big draw for the series is the novel and grand settings, which pickle rick completely failed to bring.
I agree. Unfortunately the majority wouldn't agree.

don't you mean salt, son

The first three minutes of the episode indicated beth was past denial. Otherwise she would not have taken the syringe.

It began

Bitch did you write the episode or something?

I dunno that Rick is the centerpiece; seems the show is actually about Mort and Dick does whatever he can with his fading lifespan to stay relevant. Rick can't grow up, he's old already. No character to develop there. He's just the entertainment factor and would be nothing if across all the multiverse, Rick was just a standard cranky old man and Mort was Jimmy Neutron.

You turned up.

But then she makes excuses for him in the therapy session. And finally at the end she nervously tells him to use the syringe in the car. She doesn't want to believe he would skip out on this like that.
No I just like examining characters.
How is Rick not the centerpiece? He drives all the adventures of the show. He is the reason anything happens at all. He shows flashes of development and flashes of genuine character here and there: His revulsion at Summer wanting to fuck him and Morty in the math teacher's dream, the horseplay scene in the fake simulation episode, praying to god in S2E01, etc. You're right that they have to keep him relatively undeveloped throughout the show, as well as Morty too, otherwise they lose their cash cow. For example, there's no reason Morty should have any misgivings about killing people as of S3E02 when he has killed so many people. But Morty just has to be nervous about killing people because if he develops beyond that they lose a humor factor they rely on over and over. Apply this to Rick, too.

That's exactly it, he's the car; the vehicle of the show. He's not a character. Just gas him up with alcohol and watch him go. Dunno what you mean by flashes of development. If anything, he's been slowly losing character with things like memory loss from body swapping. Like I mentioned, the only reason he's the cause for what happens is because he obviously doesn't have much time left. Cop Morty in the latest is a perfect example that yes, you can have a maturing Morty without the giggles and it would hodl pretty well
>/biz/ meme

Not him but what does that even mean? Why can't he be a character and the main vehicle of the show at the same time? And why disregard the stuff like the horseplay or the praying?

...because that was the role of the actual main vehicle? I loved the saucer, shit was witty as fuck. That stuff is negligible and didn't hodl

Well, your ability to examine characters is undermined a fair bit by your autism.

As what clearly happened is the writer wrote the counseling session first, then tried to write a way to get rick into the session, came up with the pickle rick shit, and had beth take the syringe, being unaware that beth taking the syringe was more development than the entire counseling session she wrote for her self-insert.

Nah, her taking the syringe and playing dumb shows character regression. Should've just stuck Rick with it, said "hey look, this somehow worked to my imagination. Get dressed, were going to the-rapey"

Negro, punishing rick with the possibility of remaining a pickle forever unless he came clean is a calculated choice and total acknowledgement of who rick is and his role in her life.

>He's not a character
He's definitely a well rounded character for moments like his revulsion at Summer in the dream, the horseplay scene, his approval of Jerry taking charge of his life at the end of one of the S3 episodes, the Unity episode, many other moments. He's just not a completely dynamic character.
>Dunno what you mean by flashes of development
The praying to god part, the ending of the Unity episode where he's begging to see her. But these are stamped down of course for reasons already stated.
>Cop Morty
I haven't seen the latest three episodes but judging from that hero episode where Morty was cool with disarming neutrino bombs I'm not too surprised it's going this way.
Her taking the syringe and making excuses shows regression into a lesser version of herself because she doesn't want to lose her father.
Fuck you you took my shit.

I want "Evil" Punished Morty to succeed.

Nigger, for the love of shit, listen.

the only reason she regresses in the counseling session is because she wasn't written to have the syringe at that point. As the entire sequence was written BEFORE the stupid cunt writer came up with a means to get rick in the session.

She starts the episode knowing exactly who rick is, threatening punishment for rick being who he is, unless he levels with her, and then delivers upon that punishment when he doesn't. She then completely forgets the entirety of the exchange because it had not been written yet and the episode was centered around the self-insert having all the right answers for everything.

Trying to tie the beth in the session to the beth who takes the syringe is utterly impossible because they're two different characters.

It would be a good way to end this series. If they do yet another interdimensional cable I'll admit they're entirely out of ideas and it needs to end.

The description for season 3's finale is "Rick confronts the President". So either we are going to see Evil Morty as President of the Citadel, or we're going to get an incredibly bad Trump-themed episode. Praying that it's the former.

The last episode was called ricklantis, then SURPRISE, citadel of ricks episode!

>As the entire sequence was written BEFORE
I'm not sure that matters. Look at these lines:
Dr. Wong: It's not my job to take sides or pass judgment. Do you think when your father asks for that syringe, you could ask him --
Beth: He won't have to ask for it, okay? He won't need it. He'll just make more. He doesn't need anything from anyone.
Dr. Wong: You admire him for that.
Beth: It's better than making your problems other people's problems.

Summer: Can't you just turn yourself back into a human?
Pickle Rick: Great question, Summer. The unfortunate answer is I did this to challenge myself. And it could take hours or even days before I'm able to figure out how to return to human form. But, I mean, you know, your mom could put me in a purse or a pocket, you know, if she really needs me to go.
Beth: Nobody needs anything! Okay, it's fine. I mean, you should just stay here and figure out how to stop being a pickle, okay?

A link between lines showing genuine character. You say the syringe was forced in there, but it seems your assertion hinges on the fact that Beth knows was indeed punishing Rick. But it's not entirely clear. I just watched that clip again and the actress' performance could indicate one of facetious behavior or plain denial.

ricklantis mixup

the mixup is that it's not actually about atlantis

I'm not involved in this conversation, I just want to say that Pickle Rick, along with Tiny Rick, represents the absolute worst this show has to offer. When this show focuses on thinly-veiled metaphors for Dan Harmon's mental problems, it sucks. When this show focuses on crazy sci-fi shit, it's terrific. Pickle Rick is the former.

Rick and Morty just gets better and better. I miss the glory days of 2013, where True Detective memes were being spammed constantly, and Sup Forums didn't let Reddit influence how it felt about Rick & Morty.

>a solid reason for beth's character rebounding all over the place because it's necessary for the self-insert to say anything remotely meaningful
>I'm not sure it matters!

yea I'm done with you. You've got literal shit for brains. And I can prove it, mathmatically.

Tiny Rick is the worst episode bar none. That is indeed an example of piss poor use of drama. That episode is tripe. But I disagree. The show is at its highest points when it synthesizes its sci-fi and drama i.e. Morty being able to tell Summer that everything's gonna be all right in the way only he can because of his adventures with Rick.

>A link between lines showing genuine character. You say the syringe was forced in there, but it seems your assertion hinges on the fact that Beth knows was indeed punishing Rick. But it's not entirely clear. I just watched that clip again and the actress' performance could indicate one of facetious behavior or plain denial.

the only way beth could not have known the syringe attached to a timer that would go off minutes after she left was filled with human serum is if she was stupid. She doesn't act stupid in the scene, she acts like shes playing dumb in order to punish rick for trying to lie.

This all vanishes as soon as the session starts.

The episode is entirely indefensible.

>is if she was stupid
Or in denial to keep him from leaving. Something not new to the show.

The whole multiverse thing is retarded and all the show does is subvert sci fi tropes and add in a bunch of childish nihilistic despair. But because pessimism is the zeitgeist, it's acclaimed by mouthbreathers.

At least we can agree about the Beth shit. Rick is designed to be the opposite of well-rounded. He's just watching what he promotes for Mort's sake, who he actually cares about.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Thanks bro I was getting hungry for pasta

When does this show git gud? I am not memeing.

>Rick confronts the President
Can't wait for those threads to be shilled hourly on half of Sup Forums.

The existence of Adult Swim. That whole fucking program that panders to manchildren. Absolute cancer.

>"portal fluid"
>Women in charge of technical aspects of storytelling

Are you serious?

It was always shown as some sort of self-contained green singularity, not a vial of magic goo.

I wish the Evil Morty twist in the last episode wasn't so obvious

As soon as they showed a Morty running for president it was hilariously obvious. I feel like they could have done a better job

there was always some goo in there

Or was it plasma?

Second one was garbage, I agree.

Hahaha, I get references.

>there was ever anything good about rick and morty
if any of you are older than 23 hang yourselves

>It looks gooey
>Yeah like cum lol
>Haha yeah that's a good idea
Women writers

I hope one of your best friends hangs themselves or drinks bleach so you can keep thinking suicide is a joke :D

nothing, it just has a shitty fanbase. but i also haven't watched s3 either

>You can have a Black Lives Matter joke in the intro, if you let Ryan and Roiland write the rest of the episode

>Okay, but you owe me one sweetie