hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/nwwf.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>guy goes to town
>shit gets real
>guy tries to get out of town

>movie trailer
>WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY
>ear shattering fart noise
>full frontal shot of Cthulu rising from the sea with water streaming off of its body
>black screen
>coming 2018

>movie
>opening shot is Cthulu rising out of the water
>movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Cthulu destroying a city
>ending is Cthulu standing over the leveled city roaring at the sky

You press start at the main menu, and it fades to black.

A video then rolls showing me violently plowing your mother in the anus. She is screaming in an almost low roar.
As I finish up, I turn to the camera, dramatic zoom in, and I shout "Cthulhu!"
Somebody will like it.

is lovecraft the most overrated writer in all of literary history?
I think so

>It was scury
>so scury I can't describe in words
wow a true literary genius

This is a bad pasta.

ear shattering fart noise cinematic universe when?

It's okay, since I posted it post-ironically.

>revealing cthulu in the trailer not keeping it in supspense and only reveal it at the end of the movie

thriller that progressively devolves into fantastic horrors, with gradation marked by ambiguous clues that gives less and less room for rational explanation in front of unnatural causality with the peak of the story being the confrontation to unfathomable horror that defeats perception and everything humanity is built on. That's the lovecraft gimmick, much more awkward to put into other media. Video games, music clips, comics, table games all tried but can't recreate what the book does.

Low/no budget short films

The Shadow out of Time:
youtu.be/y7jp1CT1h6c

The Other Gods:
youtu.be/4AoR6LjJpbk

The Thing in the Moonlight:
youtu.be/lxTywiItvOo

Memory:
youtu.be/XINL-Yt4iy4

Nightgaunts:
youtu.be/Bhriy1gBzt8

Nyarlathotep:
youtu.be/jWijkeEzCb8

The Music of Erich Zann:
youtu.be/OFnSOfdsblQ

The X-Files but Lovecrafting shit. Done.

Feature films and featurettes

The Call of Cthulhu:
youtu.be/p6vTI7aDIHc

The Whisperer in Darkness:
youtu.be/pd5gWGfnK5M
youtu.be/A_ee9K9hXtw

Die Farbe (The Colour out of Space):
youtu.be/4t-MxVyublk

Upcoming

The Dreamlands:
youtu.be/zEiC4a6PLcI

It probably can't contain higher beings than shoggies, shubby and dagooon and deepoines.

The \_____

I can't shill that movie anymore
I'm now wortking with CBS

By the way, The Orville will have some lovecraftian hints in its first season.

>yfw Hollywood Jews will buy the rights and make the main character black to spite Lovecraft

But lovecraft wasn't a racist and how do you spite a dead person?

He's widely considered to have been a racist during most of his life. Do you think they're not spiteful enough to do such a thing?

>He's widely considered to have been a racist
Yeah and Hitler was worse than Stalin too, right?

On the Creation of Niggers (1912)
by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

the one where they're in a submarine and find a cursed relic and they all go insane
eventually the submarine sinks to the bottom of the ocean and only a guy survives
he gets into a suit only to find out there's some sort of ruins waiting for him
would make a pretty cool flick desu

>tfw no cthulhu wife

Go look at any message board conversation on the topic that doesn't have a worthless cunt like you in it. The man is believed to be a racist, what the general population thinks is truth to the general population.

>Go look at any message board conversation on the topic that doesn't have a worthless cunt like you in it.
I don't know user, I get around
youtube.com/watch?v=wREBD2og5iY

Not even then
You never show your lovecraftian horrors my guy

Dude was so racist some of his racist friends realized that it's a shitty opinion to have and they weren't racist anymore.

What sort of people enjoy Lovecraft?

He was insainly racist, in fact I'm pretty sure shoggoths are an alegory for niggers

But he got over it later in life and married a Jew

virgins

A low budget adaptation of "cold air" based around an insane professor of cryogenics and his relationships with neighbors. Using mostly practical effects and body horror Ala Cronenberg.

Edge lords, literal insane people and horrorfags seeking an emotional high through fear.

Most boring piece of shit Ive ever read

On a side note, what director do you think would make the best adaptation of Call of Cthulhu?

My vote ia for Kubrick, mostly because most of his films are adaptations and he'd do a great job.

Like imagine 2001, as scary as it is, with shining tier errieness

Occult (2009) by Koji Shiraishi,has multiple mythos-references

youtube.com/watch?v=I6qri3HnUQQ&t

Ahahahahhahahaha

Racists.

Posers

>lovecraftian
>put on film
If you think it's possible you know nothing about his books.

>He's about to show up
>you only see a shadow growing bigger and bigger
>camera pans to the sailors
>screams of horror
>sceen turns black while creepy music starts playing
>The End

>le copyright period ended and now he's popular because no one has to pay royalties spooky story writer
>dude unimaginable lmao
Literally toilet book tier and if you think otherwise you should get taste in /lit/

Shadow Over Innsmouth wouldn't be too difficult to adapt, I think

>guy hears about weird shit at Innsmouth
>decides to go there
>gets on bus, sees weird looking people that seem a bit off
>the whole time he's there he sees progressively more fucked up people
>gets a big exposition dump from drunk guy
>decides he's gonna leave the next morning
>climax of the film is him being attacked/chased by the fish people
>ending shot is him back home, looking into his bathroom mirror
>his eyes are starting to look further apart, his skin more pale
>tense music plays and you hear a very faint "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
>cut to black
>A film by Nicolas Winding Refn

You don't either.

This. I want a cliche cthulu monster movie that appeals to the masses and launches a by-the-numbers cinematic universe so I can hear dumb bitch nerds cry about how hollywood ruined their 'spoopy' calamari monster.

I do actually, thanks for asking.

Why would you want to adapt one of the dullest franchises in the history of book franchises. Seriously each short story following the virgin professor and his pals from Providence as they fight assorted cosmic monsters has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of big words, all to make horror unhorrific, to make action seem inert.

>a-at least the Mythos were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "could not help feeling that they were evil things -- mountains of madness whose farther slopes looked out over some accursed ultimate abyss."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Lovecraft's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of At the Mountains of Madness by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading At the Mountains of Madness at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read " At the Mountains of Madness" you are, in fact, trained to watch Warne_Bros. Pictures'IT.

He is super vague, but I like him.

True Detective Season 1 but with actual Lovecraftian doom hinted at.

>movie ends showing riots and chaos in a major city
>pans out to reveal it's new york
>a path of water moving towards NYC cthulhu's makes his way to the metropolis, indicating new york will soon fall to the same fate as the small village in the film
>fades to black

Then he gets killed by a ship because Lovecraft fucked up his shitty story and a God gets killed by a fucking ship.

But he's described monsters in detail

Nice blog post.

Every time he does, it's super boring. Hell, I enjoy Lovecraft and prefer his "oooo too scurry to describe" over a bland attempt at a description.

There's already a perfect lovecraft movie though

>"Cthulhu was a mistake"

What did he mean by this?

No that would be George RR Martin. Lovecraft died in poverty

I find his long face strangely attractive.

Quake 1: The movie.

>lovecraft wasn't a racist

Calling Lovecraft racist s a bit misleading, skin color played a part but Lovecraft was closer to an actual xenophobe than racist. He despised anyone who didn't fit into what he considered as Anglo culture. However those feelings seemed to have died down as he got older.
Lovecraft is still a deeply influential author to his genre regardless of his personal life.

The Lurking Fear would be easy to adapt

Alright we've already tackled that, contribute or fuck off.

>Cthulhu
>god
He's a little bitch in the grand scheme, merely a priest of the actual gods. He didn't actually get killed or thwarted by the boat anyways, the stars just weren't quite right.

>t. has never read Lovecraft
Most of his monsters are described in detail only a few are never depicted in any way. The Mi-go, Shoggoth, Deep Ones, Dagon, Cthulhu and the aliens in At The Mountain of Madness are all well described.

nuh uh

also a Sup Forumstard so you know to never even bother reading his shit.

Easy.

Bloodborne: The Motion Picture

This isn't reddit you fat nigger

>Dagon and Cthulhu
>well described

Are you, dare I say, retarded?

>a man born in 1890 was racist
How shocking. Not to mention that disregarding someone's literary work because of their opinion is pretty retarded.

Fucking stop it was never funny.

>He despised anyone who didn't fit into what he considered as Anglo culture.

>WHAT IF CTHULHU WASNT JUST A STORY?
>shows Cthulhu rising from the ocean
>zooms in on nearby beach to Adam Sandler and Kevin Hart
>HOLY SH-
>Kevin James drops his ice cream cone
>Cthulhu roars
>Hart turns around and yells "BEACH TRIP IS OVER, EVERYBODY BACK TO THE FORD ESCAPE™!"
>Rob Schneider who has too much sunblock on his nose is looking at a hot model and not paying attention while the other guys shove passed him and leave him on the beach

>t. can't into detail extraction
Fucking brainlets

They are both only vaguely described, and for a reason.

Would watch for giggles

>Grotesque beyond the imagination of a Poe or a Bulwer, they were damnably human in general outline despite webbed hands and feet, shockingly wide and flabby lips, glassy, bulging eyes, and other features less pleasant to recall. Curiously enough, they seemed to have been chiselled badly out of proportion with their scenic background; for one of the creatures was shewn in the act of killing a whale represented as but little larger than himself
Combine this with other descriptions provided about Deep Ones and you have a good picture of Dagon. He's a big fish man.
Cthulhu is well described in Call of Cthulhu which I'm not going to go digging through fro a quote.

when you're able to describe the monster and put an actual face to it, it does become less scary. it's a common thing that occurs in horror movies. the monster is super scary at first when you only get glimpse of it, but loses its touch near the end when you're faced to it for a longer time. letting the imagination do some legwork is actually very effective when it comes to fear

>If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was thegeneral outlineof the whole which made it most shockingly frightful.
He also drops small descriptors throughout that paint a bigger picture. Stuff like "membranous wings" "green sticky spawn of the stars" "flabby claws" etc

>The most kino adaptation of Lovecraft is a video game

Flabby claws dont sound scary at all

I think you'd be surprised by most people's stance on racism user. Better not read any books outside of this insane overcorrective era we live in today.

The racism chat ALWAYS derails Lovecraft conversations.

Fuck.

*I think you'd be surprised by most PAST people's stance on racism

Didn't they divorce?

There is always someone who has to mention his racism and derail the thread. Piss off.

>every hurricane in the world assemble.
>from past present and future
>wind suddenly hugging your brain
>it feels like a sausage
>It escapes

On the Creation of Niggers (1912)
by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

What did he mean by this?

Homosexuals have a big parade on the Golden Gate Bridge. All the racket wakes Cthulhu, who proceeds to stomp and crush San Francisco.

Why do I remember seeing this story but in comic book form? Did someone adapt all of lovecrafts stories into comics? Anyone know?

Comics
Alberto Brecciaadapted the story in 1973.
Ron Marzadapted the story forDynamite Entertainmentin 2014.
Several plot elements from "Shadow over Innsmouth" appear in two comics of theTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtlesfranchise, namely in theMirage comic"Men of Shadow" (TMNTVol.1 #29) and theArchie comic"In the Dark" (TMNT Adventures#27).

Those are by no means detailed, user. Yes, he clearly describes some of the most usual features, but also leaves many details up to the reader's imagination:
>damnably human
>other features less pleasant to recall
>I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing
>it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful

He usually hints at something, something that can't be fully conveyed by words, only vaguely glimpsed in the deliberate omission of information, the hyperbole and the conjunction of seemingly incompatible terms.

I recommend you read this, if you haven't already
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/nwwf.aspx

I know one comic is titled: "The Strange Adventues of H.P. Lovecraft"

>cherry picking weasel words while ignoring actual descriptors

Did you even read my post?

Easy.

Structurally it would be closest to Midnight in Paris or the old Walter Mitty movie with Danny Kaye. It's HP's mundane, beta life, getting ignored by his literary peers, crushed by his mother, henpecked by his wife, getting no money for his work. Maybe Robert Howard kills himself in a comedic way. But every now and then it slides into a vignette of one of his purple horror stories, juxtaposing his nihilistic nightmares with the utter mundanity and tedium of his real life.

And it would end with Komm Susser Tod.

A young writer gets sent a book in a mysterious package. After opening it and reading the first sentence he becomes possessed and reads the whole book. He knows every language on Earth however he starts to see something on the corner of his eyes and in the dark. Eventually he hones his sight and realizes he must stop the old ones and crab people crab people crab people.

From all the descriptors used in Call of Cthulhu, we know
>very large
>octopus head
>face is a mass of feelers
>humanoid figure
>large curved claws
>membraneous narrow wings like a dragon
>green, sticky skin
>body/skin is gelatinous
>has the ability to reform if you severely wound him
And that's just from me skimming over it just now. I'm sure he uses even more descriptions in the story to convey what Cthulhu looks like. There's nothing vague about it, m8.

And then there's this:
>"The Thing cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled"

We may know the general outline and appearance of it, but there's so much more we don't know and it's only hinted at in the text.
I still think Cthulhu's description isn't detailed at all, especially compared to that of more "earthy" beings like the Elder Things. But then again, I think we're just arguing semantics here.

>describes the thing in detail
>"The Thing cannot be described"
Lovecraft is a hack

>The End
>?

It already exists.

The silent Cthulhu film made by the Lovecraft Society last decade is fucking fantastic.

Outside of that, I think a Dunwich movie could work well depending on how a director tackled it.