Red Letter Media

Do you think Patreon has any negative effects on content creators?

Is RLM's weekly video worth $20,000 a month? Should they be doing more with that investment? What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XTnEhlvb6jI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>regular content several years running
I don't personally give them any money except the one time I bought a DVD, but it's not unreasonable for 3+ people.

There are individuals on Patreon who make that much or more for lower quality work delivered less frequently. I don't think RLM is an outlier.

>Is RLM's weekly video worth $20,000 a month?
Apparently so because that's what they're getting.

Why would you possibly care? Who gives a fuck?

>RLM's weekly video
Do they really put out one video a week? Seems like it's usually longer than that.

They average a video a week, yes. Occasionally it'll be a little longer than a week but they almost always have more than 4 videos a month.

No
Anything on patreon/youtube/twitch is inflated as fuck
No one should be getting millions a year for playing a video game and letting 12 year olds ape out in a chat room
Then again musicians with no talent make significantly more

Why should no one be getting the amount they're getting? Like, what's your reasoning for that other than you don't want them to?

>tfw 0 patrons
>tfw $0

Always late for the party.

Well, there's four of them, right? That means if they all take an equal share and add on a 5th to serve as the company treasury they're all walking away with about $48k a year as a salary, and $48k as their annual production budget. That's before taxes of course, so probably significantly less than all that.

I'd say $48k is a pretty good salary in the Midwest, but as a series production budget for 50 or so episodes a year- not very much at all

because he's listened to his boomer grandparents too much and thinks that men should work 60 hours per week in a shitty job to get paid
also jealous

I can't imagine why you would fork away your own money each month to give to people you'll never actually meet in real life. Youtubers at that

Why does narcissistic tripe like this get support?

Why not someone who does actual content like Gaming Historian?

How are people so stupid to not be able to tell the difference between content that provides something insightful and worthwhile, and content that is just some egomaniac's outlet?

Sycophants gotta sycophant I guess.

There's only 3 of them (Jack isn't employed by RLM) and you're also not factoring in all their other revenue sources.

i'd do anything for that kind of money

you're correct, they should do more vids and not get paid at all amirite

I'm not sure what I'm missing then. How much do you figure they're making annually?

Why is this thread still up? RLM is not on TV and is not film. Sage

They shouldn't be getting paid at all for their shit videos

They're hacks. Worthwhile films have been made on less than what they receive in a couple months. Yet instead of making a film, they pocket the cash and continue spewing out low-effort tripe that requires minimal scripting, talent, insightful discussion, and editing.

would love to see these losers taken out
Nothing of value..

Netshit originals aren't TV or film either, yet they get shilled all over.

>Is RLM's weekly video worth $20,000 a month?
Their videos are 30-60 minutes long and funnier than the average episode of television programming which can cost millions per episode so yes, they are worth 20k.

That being said I've never paid a cent and I've seen every video they've made except for the movies.

I don't "figure" because I don't give a fuck. It's all just speculation and it doesn't affect me in any way.

Because I worry that crowdfunding sites have a negative influence on the quality of an artists work.

I say this because if you are guaranteed free money you have less incentive to work hard. This is especially evident with RLM, who have meandered and stalled in their creative projects since their Patreon really took off.

eg. they no longer work on elaborate skits, visits conventions, conduct b-celebrity interviews, and experiment with new series and one-off videos

I know we have Patrons here on Sup Forums, so if we can convince them to maybe drop their support or ask for better content we'd improve RLM.

>No one should be getting millions a year for playing a video game and letting 12 year olds ape out in a chat room
>being this jealous
Also RLM content isn't exactly streaming a video game. All their content is cut and edited semi-professionally. It's not just a vlog or a live stream.

I fail to see how feature films being made for less than what they make somehow means they should be required to make a feature film.

Then why are you in this thread replying to posts?

h-how do we stop them lads?

RLM was never good, they deserve zero dollars and should make nothing. Don't blame your shit interests on Patreon. Blame yourself for being a retarded person with bad taste.

I disagree, I think they're an outlier, but in the other direction in that for what they make they give more quality content then most big names who use the site.

I've seen guys getting hundreds per month who make nothing at all.

you don't
jared fogle innocent

The guy who makes this webcomic gets over 10K a month from Patreon, so yes.

I didn't ask about Netflix shills, I asked why this thread, which is off topic and should be deleted is still up. I've already reported it, yet it remains.

so what they already get tons of money from adsense

>KEK KEK
What did he mean by this?

By taking them down from the inside. We have no other choice, you know what you must do.

Sup Forums go on Chapo

>if you are guaranteed free money you have less incentive to work hard
If you don't continue to work hard, you will gradually stop receiving "free" money.

>RLM, who have meandered and stalled in their creative projects since their Patreon really took off.
This is objectively incorrect though.

>they no longer work on elaborate skits
They did elaborate skits for Half in the Bag back when that was the only show they produced. They make three other programs now in addition to Half in the Bag.

>visits conventions
They stopped doing that years before Patreon because they hated them.

>conduct b-celebrity interviews,
They've rarely ever done that anyway. It wasn't a regular thing and you know it.

>experiment with new series and one-off videos
Lol what? They started re:View last year. They started Nerd Crew this year. And they still make random videos from time to time as well. All that IN ADDITION TO what they regularly produce.

I didn't say I feel guilty, I just said I haven't given them money.
>adsense
RLM started around 2009 or something and I've had adblock since firebird launch in.. 04(?) so I don't think so.

>Do you think Patreon has any negative effects on content creators
Yes. I have been secretly informed that if you don't follow Patreon's agenda you will get shutdown.

They are just Hollywood with a different name

Cum Town > RLM

Why do you care about this non Sup Forums related garbage so much? It isn't good, and doesn't belong on this board, take it back to plebbit along with your spacing. SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS

>Let's help them by stopping the money
>We're going to change the world
As this guy said comparatively they aren't that bad at all. I haven't given them a cent and i've seen since 2010 the massive changes in production and overall quality of their show increasing. BoTW, Nerd Crew, Review and all there in between videos. Why would me or you have anything to worry about?

Because they critique film. And the films they have made have been utter shit, with the excuse of "it's on purpose". They're pocketing money, and never improving, showing no semblance of artistic merit in their "work" - basically hacks. And then their opinions get parroted blindly on Sup Forums and wherever else, which is what makes me sick.

You could always just, you know, ignore threads that are about things you're not interested in.

Any other podcast in the universe > Cum Town. Stop shilling yourself, Nick. You were only ever funny as Nicole on Twitter. You suck at standup and your podcast is trash for gullible hipsters

I hope they redistribute that wealth.

Depends on how many hours they put in and how many people are involved.

If they work a 40 hour week with 4 people, that's about $31 an hour. Pretty high, but not unreasonable. Especially since they have to rent a studio.

This is why the middle class is disappearing in america, because stupid cunts donate to twitch streamers/patreons/other stupid bullshit.

Where does Sam come into all this?

Oh so you're that
>why don't you make it better yourself?
retard?

>Because they critique film. And the films they have made have been utter shit
That is literally not an answer to the question asked. People donate to their patreon so they'll continue to produce their web shows, and that's what they do.

dw I got you, anti sage bump

Good idea. I should ignore off topic threads that don't get deleted while actual Sup Forums related threads get deleted because the mods are selective on how they enforce the site's rules and have a clear agenda.

Welp. Guess the RLM Defense Force has arrived.

Sorry for suggesting that we ask for better content for our $20,000 a month? I mean they don't even buy new equipment anymore. They're pocketing 100% of it without even improving their business. They could hire more employees and do way more with what they're given.

Fuck me, right?

yeah sometimes they will post videos within a couple days of each other but yes that is roughly right

Why are you acting like such a spaz? They review movies, this is a movie discussion forum. If you don't like the topic there's 10 pages worth of catalog filled with threads you might like better. If there's nothing there you can go start your own thread, I don't really care- the key word there just being that you GO

> And then their opinions get parroted blindly on Sup Forums and wherever else, which is what makes me sick.
Which movie was it that upset you much?

>They're pocketing money
When you do your job and then receive money for it, do you consider that "pocketing" the money?

>never improving
Look at their content from five years ago and compare it to their content now. You are objectively wrong.

>showing no semblance of artistic merit in their "work"
lol "artistic merit?" They make comedy videos for the internet.

>And then their opinions get parroted blindly on Sup Forums and wherever else, which is what makes me sick.
You could have just said this in the first place so I'd know that you're just a literal "stop liking what I don't like" dumbass.

>decades of RLM as a company
>have produced nothing of worth besides an offbrand type of humor which they uncreatively repurpose in all their videos
>make film "reviews" that consist of blanket statements about said film and baseless opinions
>middle aged and still aging, while showing no signs of talent or even improving themselves
There's nothing to defend. You're the retard.

Nah. This thread needs to be deleted. RLM is not a television show or film. It is off topic. You need to go back.

This is correct. Not only is RLM awful, but it is e-celeb trash and doesn't belong on Sup Forums. It is off topic and should be deleted.

>besides an offbrand type of humor which they uncreatively repurpose
But you said it yourself. They have found a type of humor which has an audience. Why would the abandon that to make a movie, which nobody wants? Their fans pay them to keep creating their web content which is what they are doing.

By the way why are you even in this thread?

>>decades of RLM as a company
This is incorrect

>>have produced nothing of worth besides an offbrand type of humor which they uncreatively repurpose in all their videos
I don't think you understand what "repurposing" is. Also, how is having a specific style somehow a bad thing?

>>make film "reviews" that consist of blanket statements about said film and baseless opinions
Objectively incorrect.

>>middle aged and still aging
Wait...you mean they haven't just magically stopped aging????

>while showing no signs of talent or even improving themselves
Others would disagree, clearly. If nobody thought they had talent, they would have no audience and no Patreon supporters.

Sorry, user, but you kind of just sound bitter and jealous.

youtube.com/watch?v=XTnEhlvb6jI

see real men prefer jenny
much better than rlm

>he wrote sage in the name field

>By the way why are you even in this thread?
Because he has no friends, watches everything RLM does and treats them like a friend simulator, but hates himself for doing so and pretends to hate them in these threads as a way to make himself feel better about his worthless life. At least that's my guess.

If you aren't shitposting, answer my earlier question. Why do you care so much about a show that you haven't given any money to like myself? What is the alternative you're going to watch instead if you dislike their current direction so much?

>being this butthurt that your opinion is not unanimously agreed with

Why dont you suck my dick? since you love sucking dick

>we ask for better content for our $20,000 a month
I don't think you understand the concept of Patreon. It's not a guarantee of delivery of anything. You can't just pump money into someone's Patreon then start complaining about how much money you're making. And you most definitely can't "ask for" anything.

The RLM guys clearly have a lifestyle and profession they enjoy, and if people want to give them more money then so be it. You're not entitled to anything just because you choose to DONATE money.

I actually wonder if guys like you don't know and need to be reminded their videos have literally been stickied here.

Another off topic e-celeb. Sage goes in all fields.Sage goes in all fields, faggot.

I don't care what Mike or Jessi want to spend their patreon money on. If Jessi wants to buy an entire Zales outlet store then more power to her.

Red Letter Media has ZERO obligation to spend a single cent on their videos. Any patreons who believe they're owed actual content is a fool

What?

>announcing sages
umm sweetie xxx

Isn't that guy legit gay?

Oh, well maybe you should tell the mods to do their fucking jobs then, nigger. E celeb drama is off topic and should be deleted. Sage goes in all fields

>sag!
If only you could put this autismal levels of energy into posting quality content to Sup Forums instead.

I invest $2/mo to the RLM Patreon. I know it's not much but I think I'm allowed an opinion (that we don't get our money's worth). I've posted my similar comments on r/RLM but they get downvotes/deleted. Thought I'd try here.

I'd prefer to open a dialogue prior to withdrawing my financial support, but I may do that regardless based on this thread

>people pay for your low effort spew
>this makes it okay to perpetually wallow in stagnation and rehash the same level of content
Yes, clearly RLM appreciate the financial support, but that doesn't mean they can't produce more worthwhile content and attempt to do something besides internet videos. Instead of viewing it as an opportunity, RLM now appear to view their Patreon as a means to an end. They've given up, and are artistically shallow, just going through the motions. The 4 low-effort videos a month prove it: they don't cost even close to 20k to produce, nor even take much time. It probably takes a measly "day" of work to do one HITB including editing and camera setup.

Go back to plebbit to discuss your YouTuber drama. Maybe Keemstar would be more your speed, you gay nigger

They're worth whatever people wish to donate to them

Don't hate

see

>They have found a type of humor which has an audience. Why would the abandon that to make a movi
So do successful directors like Woody Allen. You don't need to abandon anything if you have talent and passion. Clearly RLM have neither. And the few videos they make a month do not take up their entire schedule - they could easily have time for something else.

>that doesn't mean they can't produce more worthwhile content and attempt to do something besides internet videos
THey can literally do whatever the fuck they want. I don't think you understand the concept of a donation.

HEY GUYZ DID YOU HEAR PEWDIEPIE AND JAKE PAUL HAVE A BEEF WITH EACHOTHER! WE SHOULD MAKE A THREAD ON Sup Forums ABOUT IT!!! Sage

Patreon works by "supporting artists" you think are worth supporting. That means you can't expect to get more than what you were getting at the start of that Patreon. Patreon is not some kickstarter deal where every thousand new subscribers gets everyone a new feature. Even if they got a million dollars a month you wouldn't be entitled to anything more just because of all the things that money could make possible. You people have this weird idea of RLM or any content producer owing you content since you chose to voluntarily pay them. Patreon is not you paying for future episodes.

The only Patreon that I'd give money to is my Primitive Technology husbando.

We get it MovieBob, you're upset they're more popular then you

Yes, Mike, Jay, and Rich can amount to nothing, if they so desire. What's your point, you buttblasted fanboy? My point is they deserve no recognition, when there are creative, talent directors and people who have produced far more worthwhile content than RLM ever will. Anyone who "donates" to them is a spewing consumerist retard. This is evidenced by the popularity of their capeshit reviews.

>I don't think you understand the concept of Patreon.
I think the worst aspect of Patreon is that most people do treat it like a storefront and expect something in exchange for their money rather than treating it as "tips" which is what it really is. Backer rewards don't help this idea.

>TV show(s)
>Independtly produced
>Better than most network or cable or streaming service out put
>Less than 5k a week covering at least 4 guys

Man, you Americans are shocked by this?

Come to fucking Australia or the U.K. and Europe where government funded stations give literal retards MILLIONS of dollars to vomit out fucking dog shit that no one watches that doesn't even remotely approach this quality.

Taxpayer fucking money too.

no, you clearly did though I guess

Do you donate to them? Based on your constant whining, I'm going to assume not. And if you don't, then why are you so butthurt about the fact that they have an audience, have found a certain level of success, have people VOLUNTARILY donating money to them, and generally doing what they enjoy? You just sound like a worthless cunt.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I don't really understand your comparison. Woody Allen finds work doing what he loves because there's an audience, so do the RLM guys. What's the problem?
>And the few videos they make a month do not take up their entire schedule - they could easily have time for something else.
Maybe, probably. So what? Starting a Patreon isn't a promise that they'll spend every moment of their life making as much content as possible with the money they're given.

Clearly what they're doing is working for them, seeing as how they can afford to pay themselves over 5k a month from what according to you is not even a full-time job. Sounds like a pretty sweet position tbqh.

>Mike, Jay, and Rich can amount to nothing, if they so desire
Oh I see the problem: you're confusing RLM with yourself. They have accomplished something. You don't have to like their content, but they're doing something they enjoy.

Who am I kidding? I can GUARANTEE that despite all your bitching, you watch every single video they put out obsessively. I hope all the (you)s your getting in this thread are filling some sort of void for you.

>you will never make a quarter million a year through ((reviewing)) movies and making ((ironically)) bad skits.