Either of these two countries produced any notable films other than Mad Max and LOTR...

Either of these two countries produced any notable films other than Mad Max and LOTR? (both were essentially American movies anyway)

You never hear about them. Even Canada seems to produce more kino.

Other urls found in this thread:

dinosaur.pizza/auction/
youtu.be/pCLzHvPdSrE
youtube.com/watch?v=BsT1g-d1rBQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flirting_(film)
youtube.com/watch?v=YXZ4u2ZVWOc
youtube.com/watch?v=3K_D7kmiiog
youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZA3WK1f5w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Proposition is quite good, but Australian TV is where it's really at.

Due to laws imposed by the Australian Government, 55% of TV has to be Australian made content.

This is why I don't watch TV and prefer streaming services like Netflix.

>Mad Max was essentially an American movie

You've only ever watched "The Road Warrior" haven't you.

Chopper
Once Were Warriors
Scarfies
Wolf Creek
down unda is bleak

LOTR was basically like a NZ national project. The Army built roads to get to the sets, the AF lent them choppers, hundreds of NZ actors and extras and costume designers + the director. I'm biased because it's my favourite movie trilogy but to say it was essentially American is just false. Just because I buy a thing doesn't mean I made it.

Also What We Do in the Shadows is pretty kino desu

If you think the original Mad Max was American made you need to eat some bullets cunt

They having an auction of Danger 5 stuff in a few days.

dinosaur.pizza/auction/

While trying to remember one film I watched which is a cult classic - Wake in Fright - I looked up Australian classic films and man, there's boat loads. Think I'll have to try and watch them all.

>the castle
>wolf creek

Also, check out This Quiet Earth. That and Wake in Fright are maybe the only Austrlian films I've watched, but they're both great. Just look up the trailers. I couldn't give a good description.

>Not selling Tucker's used underwear

>be aussies
>have no cultural identity
>have to whore myself for attention to talkwith australian accent on internet so people recognise me

you're truly pathethic Dingo

Great post friend! Keep it up!

This is blatantly false. Australia has one of the most recognisable cultures in the world, mate.

Picnic at Hanging Rock
Wake in Fright
Mary & Max
Walkabout

Listed in other comments and plenty more that escape me now

>Both were essentially American movies

They weren't.

But yeah - we're pretty barren. Babe. I guess.

wolf creek is fucking shit

>only make movies about the outback
>everybody around the world now thinks we all live in the desert
what the fuck was wrong with those directors

>be american
>get shot
haha fuck off

Whale Rider is kino

in what way are the first mad max movies american

DELET

NO ONE MUST KNOW

So no-one has seen 'The Rover'? One of the best aussie films I saw in years. Has Guy Pierce and is bleak as hell.

Bad Taste
Heavenly Creatures
Once were Warriors
The Frighners
Whale Rider
What we do in the Shadows

There's also a shit load of films that are made in New Zealand but with US money. Like The Last Samurai or the Narnia films

>Spend half your budget paying some dickhead to block the road during the arvo so you can shoot around town.
>Make your entire movie for free out in the scrub.
I wonder.

Lion
Berlin Syndrome
The Loved Ones
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (NZ)

That's all within the last 5-10 years, and all off the top of my head.

snowtown is top tier kino too

I don't think I'd be so proud of being a nation of barely functional alcoholics.

No, nothing. Everything is garbage here.

I hope CBS buys Ten though.

The Long Weekend is excellent. The remake is pretty good too, Jim Caviezel is in it.

movies about Australia or just shot in Australia?
you'd be surprised how many movies are shot here

This is true Australian kino

youtu.be/pCLzHvPdSrE

> t. someone who only watches 7,9,10

>The Castle
>Crackerjack
>Rotten Eggs
>Hercules Returns
>Kenny
>Looking for Alibrandi

also

>young einstein
>reckless kelly

animal kingdom

>Looking for Alibrandi

>is bleak as hell.

That's only 95% of our movies

The Year My Voice Broke
A Woman's Tale
Newsfront
Walkabout
Breaker Morant
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Shine
Flirting
The Piano
Sunday Too Far Away

Oh hey its the sensible chuckle guy

What are some abokino?

Ask a white looking guy who grew up in an Aboriginal community anything. (No, I don't collect indigenous Centrelink payments because I'm not a bludger.)

Malcolm is easily in my top 20, classic

youtube.com/watch?v=BsT1g-d1rBQ

Jack Irish

>LOTR, New Zealand production directed by a New Zealander with an ostensibly British cast based on a book by an English author based on olde English, German and Norse tales.
>American.

Fuck off you pizza shit.

Can we all agree that Once Were Warriors is a fantastic film?

You wouldn't expect much from a film about a Maori movie, and yet it hits you like a truck. Hard to believe the director went onto make fucking Die Another Day.

Wolf Creek 2 is pure unadulterated kino

Priscilla,queen of the desert

He Died with a Felafel in His Hand

Heavenly Creatures

I was just typing a post raging about how this wasn't mentioned and decided to refresh before posting.

Also, does anybody know the name of the coming of age movie about a misfit highschooler going to boarding school where the boys and girls are separated. Halfway through the year some cute black chick joins and they find solace in each others lack of social status... I watched it years ago and really enjoyed it.

The Dish

Never mind found it. Worth a watch if there are any people here legitimately interested in Australian film.

Another honourable mention that I don't think has been posted is Razorback - a horror movie about a giant pig.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flirting_(film)

I feel like foreigners who watch Wake in Fright can't really appreciate it as much as actual Australians. Not saying you can't enjoy it but the way it touches on Australian drinking culture/alpha bro homoerotic shit and violence is best bar none

>LOTR
>essentially American
In what universe
And not because some American grub coughed up some money for it

Why do all Australian movies have such amazing landscape shots? This isn't even limited to shots of the outback either.

>What We Do in the Shadows
This!

Even "The Road Warrior" is not American. Mad Max 2 is as Australian as it gets.
That and Picnic at Hanging Rock are my favourite Australian films.
This list is interesting because Wake in Fright and Walkabout were both made by foreign directors. I agree though, they're amazing films.

Australian TV is fucking terrible these days. Danger 5 is one of the few really good shows we produced in the last decade.

>lotr is a kiwi movie
what in the ever loving fuck are you talking about. that shitty little island couldnt produce a shite 1millionĀ£ movie nevermind the greatest movies of all time. lotr was american they just happened to choose NZ forests but they could have done it in ireland like GoT. thats like saying game of thrones is irish because they happened to use Irish forests. i cant believe how stupid people are. the budget and gross if lotr is like larger than NZ entire economy. they could never have the money, manpower, economy, experience to produce one minute of lotr on their own. i have nothing against NZ but lets not pretend they arent just a bunch of retarded farmers and shit.

Utopia is kino for current Aus telly and Rob Sitch's "Frontline" is also timeless.

Frontline is great. I should give Utopia a fair shot, only saw one episode.

I could come up with a list of reasons as to why you're wrong but I'm apathetic as fuck and I feel like playing Path of Exile now. You're still wrong though

Rob Sitch did them both. Utopia is a fantastic take on government and bureaucracy that's so funny and accurate it's kind of sad.

dumbcunts shouldnt throw stones

How bad was it? Why the fuck are abos so good at footy?

>Rob Sitch did both Utopia and Frontline
I didn't even know, loved Frontline. Also, as a federal public servant Utopia is really funny and extremely painful at the same time.

Now I feel like playing PoE too but I can't. Asshole

Lion was shit desu

t. backpacking britpleb

The Castle
The Panel
All Aussie Adventures
Frontline
Hollowmen
Utopia

My fuck are aussie nerds good at satire. All Aussie Adventures was meant to have a new season this year but I think because Channel 10 is a fucking ponzi they didnt produce it. Maybe itll air in summer?

It's easy to find huge amounts of empty space I suppose

yeah, basically oscarbait rubbish. The part when he first moves in with the Australian family is really good but the rest is just empty.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXZ4u2ZVWOc

pure aussie kino

We hire the best japanese cinematographers money can buy.

Also THE BANK is fucking kino. David Wenham styles on everyone. If it were an American movie it'd be a """classic""".

You forgot Crackerjack cobber. Also not a movie but Miles Barlow Reviews is some GOAT television

It's a big show.

It's more apt to say it's a New Zeelander movie that was financed by Americans. Sort of like Harry Potter.

Meanwhile, back in cybro-merica:

4uuuuuuuuu

Romper stomper
Mad max
Wake in fright
Baz Luhrman kinos
Picnic at hanging rock (groundbreaking at the time)
Castle
The dish
Wolf creek
Gallipoli
Priscilla qotd

Round the twist

Idiot Box, thats kino

nobody seen In My Father's Den here? its kino.

best film that ever came out of NZ imo.

you know its good when so many memes came out of it.

>both were essentially American movies anyway

You need to kill yourself as soon as possible.

Surprised the loved ones hasn't been posted yet.

Nice meme cunt

>expecting creativity from one of the countries with the strictest censorship laws in the entirety of the Western World

They literally have a mandate being proposed right now to make the military only recruit women.
They're a lost cause as a culture/world power.

They should thank their lucky stars they live in Pax Americana, under the United States military and nuclear umbrella. That kind of retardation only doesn't get you immediately killed when you have a giant bigger brother protecting you from people who would take advantage of your stupidity.

rake is the best legal tv show I've ever seen (uk barrister here)

the barrister hes based on is really annoying

good show though

youtube.com/watch?v=3K_D7kmiiog

Last Train to Freo and The Rover are good.
But no big AAA movies come out of Australia and it should stay that way.

Man from Snowy River is a classic

Is the Castle considered good to Aussies or do they realise it's a goldmine of quotable trash? It's like the Australian Napoleon Dyamite

This is a good one
youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZA3WK1f5w

Also,
The Dish
The Proposition
The Babadook
The Rabbit Proof Fence
The Sapphires
Galipoli
Macbeth (with Same Worthington, its not perfect but I enjoyed the take on the Scottish Play)
Two Hands
Anything by Adam Elliot (check out his shorts on youtube and Mary and Max if you're after feature length)
Romper Stomper
Kenny

Danger 5 is one of the only good Australian TV shows from the past 15 years, it's a fucking wasteland otherwise.