So he just chucks people into hell for all of time?

So he just chucks people into hell for all of time?

That's a tad dark

>Literal hand of God
>Atheists like Mr. Terrific still run around

Considering he's a literal piece of the one true god(the ultimate moral authority)I think he's allowed and justified whenever he does so.

What about the time he drowned the kid in pennies and sent him to hell for taking five bucks out of his mom's purse?

Or the time he destroyed a whole country because the leader was an asshole

Started reading Gotham By Midnight this week and it's my first time running into The Spectre so I'm still trying to figure out just what the fuck he's doing half the time.

It's a hell of a time

Nobody said YHWH was nice.

What the fuck? Lex Luthor took 40 cakes! Shove his ass in the eternal fire, Lord!

Technically the Christian god he serves isn't the one true god, just a really strong christian one.

Lex Luthor is already in his own personal Hell:A world in which Superman exists. Luthor would enjoy Hell, for the sole fact that he's not sharing it with Superman.

Spectre is a piece of The Presence, the one true god of the DCU.

and yet he judged Joker to be innocent

really makes you think

Nope. Presence left in Lucifer and then in new Lucifer came back but all corrupted from its trip and weaker cause it gave its power to Elaine.

MY WIFE BELIEVED IN GOD AND SHE'S DEAD NOW, SHUT UP

I don't get that arc

Did Hal Jordan just accept that sending people to hell was cool or some shit?

Hal tried to use his power to redeem people, Spectre told him to knock it the fuck off, God has a redemption guy, we are not that guy, we are the vengeance and justice guy.

So who's the redemption guy and the fuck does he do

Captain Redemptiator. He redeems people by blasting them with his laser eyes of redemption.

Death is the redemption gal. The universe is hell, and shes the exit.

hello new head canon

He's an interesting character, but on a theological level, I don't really get him. Death in general is the consequence of sin in our lives, and if DC YHWH is like our YHWH, he's more than capable of delivering punishments himself. Without throwing an entire aspect of his being into some separate existence. But if Spectre is just an angel of wrath, he STILL wouldn't need a human vessel to perform his task. Angels aren't like malevolent spirits, they can impact the material world on their lonesome, to devastating effects.

I should probably just relax, but one last nitpick. An angel as described in the Bible could be miles more frightening than An albino in green tights. Okay one more; why isn't he paired with a representative of God's grace? He feels incomplete otherwise, really.

Read some old testament. Specter is a relative lightweight.

>if DC YHWH is like our YHWH
It isn't. DC YHWH is as much like our YHWH as Marvel's Thor is like our Thor.
DC isn't a Christian universe cosmology setting.

>So who's the redemption guy

A lot of the foundation of DC's mystical/divine stuff is clearly Catholic, though, even if it takes some additional liberties with gods and magic.

The Spectre literally chats with the Archangel Michael.

And Wonder Woman chats with Zeus. What's your point?

Free will.
As a piece of YHWH/angle of wrath (depending on writer) the spectre only exists in the grand scheme of things as an extension of free will. A total authority limited by human thinking. The spectre is capable of doing some crazy old testament style shit but can't do it without first going through some poor schlub.
Why? Depends on the writer, if they ever get that far.

>for all of time
That's how Hell works user.

>in new Lucifer
>new Lucifer
pls no. Why would you do that?

No, that only proves gods a sadistic facist fuck, and needs to be taken down by the justice league

Saint of Killers already killed God.

They did indeed make a new Lucifer. It is as sad as you fear.

Then god sounds like an utter cunt for burning and torturing people for the pettiest of shit. I fucking hate how dc goes full christfag at times and makes god the good guy

Let me guess. Lucifer is the bold all-American hero standing for freedom against a tyrannical God.

He's a bad boy hero fighting a corrupted weakened Presence trying to come back into his life after walking out on him.

Jesus, this dialogue.

Godwave, motherfucker.

Fuck, it's been so long since I've heard of that I'd forgotten about it back to the faint crevices of memory.

The Spectre is the archangel Raguel.

>Okay one more; why isn't he paired with a representative of God's grace? He feels incomplete otherwise, really.
In the recent comics, he is. It's called the Radiant.

Nobody fucking cares about Genesis, Byrne. Get back in the crate.

God is neither a good guy or a bad guy.

he's just a guy.

Not since like the nineties, he ain't.

>Lucifer is the bold all-American hero standing for freedom against a tyrannical God.
How exactly is that bad?

Why doesn't he just end all crime already? He could do it in a single night.

Because what we consider crime god considers good. Case in point, the child sex ring the catholic priests have.

Catholic Church =/= God, user.

This is one of the dumbest threads on the board right now, full of people who don't read comics.

Also OP just made this thread yesterday, at least had better posts.

Then why does god act like them so much in the comics?

Pretty sure God hasn't raped any kids, at least not in any comic I've read.

but he doesn't.

user its jesus.

>in hell you are tortuerd for eternity
>that includes rape
>kids are in hell
Its his fault that he or spectre put them in hell, ergo he raped kids.

Man that's some adorably shitty atheist logic. And I'm a hardcore atheist.

How is that shit logic? He has people tortured and raped because he doesnt get his way like a spoiled brat.

You know that only people who think that they should go to Hell, go to Hell right?

Read fucking Sandman.

It varies from comics, and spectre outright throws people their.

It's funny, I usually consider it more bratty when a child refuses to believe that his judgment might not be as informed or legitimate as his parents. Perhaps even moreso when that child storms out of the safety of his home, and blames his parents when the wolves inevitably circle inward.

You don't know who is in hell, but know that's it's at the end of a road that's travelled.

>Kill a shitton of people as the Joker
>Don't believe in god
>Die
>No reprecussions just reincarnate or get to fug Harley in Joker heaven

hmmmm

>he hasn't read issue 9

wew you're in for a shock.

While we're on the subject of Catholicism, it should be noted that Catholic doctrine holds that Hell actually being empty is a very real possibility. We don't know if anyone actually goes there.

Its stated many times in religious texts thst god puts yountheir if you misbehave him. He doesnt really "save" you from anything

>nuLucifer

Even the writer said she hasn't read the original series.

It isn't a possibility because the catholic church is full of shit and hell isn't real.

Here's the thing: regardless of how bratty the kid is, it's the parent's duty to save them if they have the power to do so.

If you're gonna debate theology you need to at least accept the premise of theology for argument's sake.

They did an arc on that in Johns' JSA.

There's a difference between "knowing there is a phenomenally powerful cosmic being that calls itself "God" and has agents that work on Earth" and having actual faith in a loving creator.

How a someone is suppused to grown and take responsabilitty on their own, if his parents are always shielding him from any consequences?

Bender on that episode where he became a god showed how this work.

Justice without mercy.

When the Spectre is bound to a host, it is essentially a trial to show the importance of having both. And when it's unbound, well then it does stupid things like try to kill magic.

This is why God doesn't intervene more often in earthly crises, but Hell isn't a consequence that you can bounce back from (except in those theologies where it is, in which case it's more defensible).

Also, the only way humans would ever "grow up" in a way meaningful to God is to become godlike themselves.

in DC, anyone in hell can just walk out the front gates unobstructed. The only thing stopping people is if they believe they deserve to be in hell with such conviction that they don't even try.

God created cancer and mental illness willingly, that makes him evil. Him refusing to help only brings credance

didn't Crime Syndicate Superman die on Earth 1, meaning he'd be in that universe's hell?

That has changed since sandman

lmao

nah, people only think it changed because they read it in some comic book

Can I we make Death wear this outfit all the time?

>nah, people only think it changed because they read it in some comic book
Which is in the same continuity, dipstick

>Lucifer leaves and Duma and whatshisface take over Hell
>in Hellblazer Hell is still run by triumvirate of demons

See, changed

I'm just wondering how that works. Do Duma and his fuckbuddy let the First, Second and Third run things beneath them or did they take over and kick the faggot angels out?

hell, heaven, dream, nightmare, etc are potentially multiversal concepts

The Endless exist in every reality as themselves, but I'm not so sure about Heaven and Hell.
Just look at Preacher, God and Satan were both killed by the Saint of Killers.

So God is Roman Reigns, and atheists are smarks.

Theologically speaking hell is kinda the default destination, and God supposedly saves you from that fate when you put your faith in him.

I thought he wiped out the country because it was going through an endless cycle of atrocities with its neighbor and that he rationalized it as every one there being guilty of perpetuating said cycle.

>Chucks people into hell
WHAT ARE YOU, NUTS?
OF COURSE HE DOESNT DO THAT.

Spectre is way more creative in his ironic punishing of the wicked.
Dude is like a modern Fletcher Hanks character

Yeah but by the end of it all it'll end up back as Status Quo cause cmon.

He is the spirit of Vengeance meant to punish the wicked.
Attached to a human spirit as a physical and moral anchor since the Spectre itself doesn't have one.

There was a story called Day of Vengeance where The Spectre was roaming around punishing without a human to anchor it Down.
Ended up killing murders and rapists and kids who stole and a man who cheated on his taxes.

I'd say look into John Ostrander run for Spectre it is amazing.