ITT: Villain character development

I shall start with Exhibit A. Went from all joke to no joke

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dy2zB8bLSpk
youtube.com/watch?v=LvIj3_n0v5U
youtube.com/watch?v=5dpN6MR0sOI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ludo is only a bad ass because of Toffee. Still a great development.

That guy goes through several phases of villain development. Each one better than the last

Fuck I love this trope, why does it have to be so rare.

Because it has several downsides. Make them too interesting and fans might like them more then the MC, make them too sympathetic and fans won't like seeing them fail.

I love the new ludo and I love that he's an actual threat now too!

how did it go so right

wasn't that reversed?

Besides what said, there's two other reasons

-It requires actual writing foresight. In other words, the people making the show have to actually be aware that the villain is a character that they are going to develop and that's hard when you are focusing on main characters especially in wacky shows

-It is a double-edged sword because if you develop the villain, you are completely cutting out previous episodes where the villain was a joke. You are essentially committed to having a story arc at that point. I mean, there's a good chance the show as already having a story arc and all, but developing the villain means you are going whole hog into having him be a growing threat. And that's scary to producers

good one

What image editor do you guys use for this? Paint blurs the fuck out of the images when cropping and gimp is crap.

Photoshop CS2 is free on Adobe's website. Just use the Bifocal Sharpener when dreducing sices.

Jesus, what? I stopped watching Star Vs. because it had a really obnoxious humor to it and I couldn't stand the ineffectual idiot villain. Maybe I should try again.

i still can't believe hat the guy's a kappa

hes really not that threatning desu.its just he went from an incompetent idiot to a insane idiot who achieved something thanks to a talking wand.

After the last ep, He's about to get REALLY dangerous

>hes really not that threatning desu
He kinda is when he does his "I'm mad, fuck you all" magic.

Also the shit with the clown outfit was amazing you have to admit

Gary too.

youtube.com/watch?v=dy2zB8bLSpk
was thinking of this when he popped up

also he only knows how to channel the wand through emotions and anger is his strongest one so thats pretty much all he can do until he gets proper training

>Make them too interesting and fans might like them more then the MC
This.

The real problem: Main characters usually are shitty characters

It's because a lot of creators fall for the relatable straight man meme for MC's.

Pic unrelated?

Dio is a good example of saturday morning cartoon villain who is entertaining as fuck and isn't boring.

Maybe in Phantom Blood. He was barely in Stardust Crusaders.

He owned the fuck out the screentime he got, though.

Dio is more popular and well liked character than jotaro or johnathan outside of japan.

Just because of memes.

Like everything in At it just goes back to the previous one because status quo.

Does this count?

someone post the nazi bird from Mystery Incorporated

That guy use to be a pink haired woman?

I know that it's not Sup Forums, but fuck it. A villain's development that I loved was the Meruem and the majority of the Chimera Ants and Kaito from Gaim. Mainly because they evolved from the typical Saturday cartoon villain into complex individuals with understandable and even at some points, noble motivations who stood against the protagonists. I always have a soft spot for those kinds of antagonists as they can blur the lines between heroes and villains.

Meh

Wouldn't surprise me, given the character designs.

Nah, he goes from background character to likeable supporting cast to joke villain in a single arc, and gradually work his way up the ladder on a "hero's journey" kinda thing that the audience rarely sees. We just check in on him every now and then. He's been slowly pulling strings across the series and is now set up as the main villain.

In a series that's been running weekly for nearly 20 years.

He'll come back
You'll see

needs an update
youtube.com/watch?v=LvIj3_n0v5U

Come on now, user. That's clearly an illusion.

yeah but it's fun too pretend

It's not really development if it's a complete asspull with no character arc.

Technically not an ass pull.
youtube.com/watch?v=5dpN6MR0sOI
Still dumb though.

Because deep down, he knew he wasn't the best villain in Stardust Crusaders

Anyone else wish we could glimpse into the alternate reality where Araki kept with his original idea of Hol Horse switching sides?

meh

fucking kek

Source?

This marvelous bastard was going to be redemm?

I'm still wishing we go back to the original universe for a part with Hol Horse being one of the primary antagonists for the whole part but still not being the big bad himself.

Lewd

After killing Abdul, I really don't see how it could've worked.
Would've been interesting to see the attempt, though. I guess the brain parasite could've come into play again.

>killing Abdul
user...

The reason Abdul came back was because Araki changed his mind about Hol Horse becoming a good guy.