Is it worth it?

Sorry to make another thread about this, but I have a serious question here.
I considered watching this even though I've never been a Star Trek fan, but I'm in need of good sci fi shows to watch.
My concern is this is gonna be political SJW propaganda and it's becoming increasingly annoying
I don't give a fuck about politics, and I don't have any problem with diversity or a female lead, but it does annoy me when SJWing becomes the central subject of a thing and it harms the quality of a product by focusing its energy on being as "progressive" as possible, generally incurring in plot holes, senseless tropes and blatant political pandering just because it's PC
So I ask you Sup Forums Is this thing watchable and the memeing is just Sup Forums bullshit? Or the PC tropes literally make it cringeworthy?

You should watch the expanse or even twelve monkeys instead.

watch TNG+DS9 instead.

The first two seasons of TNG can be a bit of a slog, but after that you get some quality Scifi TV right through to the end of DS9.

Not being a Trekkie probably makes it more likely for you to enjoy it

>the memeing is just Sup Forums bullshit?

This.

>Or the PC tropes literally make it cringeworthy?

No more than any previous Trek series.

It may be shit but in the same typical way as most TV sci-fi.

But I already do, It's just that this thing is just starting and my shows calendar has room for this thing, the only thing that's keeping me from it is I'm tired of political crap

The only political crap is what you choose to read into it.

Star Trek was always SJW propaganda. Just look up some of the quotes from Gene.

Everything is nowadays, the point it, is it tolerable?
If you start giving me shit like pointless PC relationships that have literally no development, background, feel, or even an excuse, you know it's done in the name of PC, at the expense of storytelling, and it's frankly insulting. I want a show, not teenage shipper fanfiction.

But for the rest of the stuff I've read, I'm starting to think it might be watchable and I might give it a try.

>is it tolerable?
no its not

also you have astroturfers and shills
you're not missing anything if you don't watch this

they're gonna cancel it anyway

You're not listening. Star Trek from its original concept is a commie utopia, it has no currency, everyone in the Federation is equal, its inherently political.

I´ve dropped several shows for this same reason. I am even considering dropping Doctor Who because they are really focusing too much on the political agenda instead of on making actually enjoyable episodes.

Don´t get me wrong, i´ll give the female Doctor a season if i can but if they do the same thing they did with Bill (namely saying that she was gay every 2 episodes instead of... you know, actually writting a character that just happens to be gay) i am out.

I don´t know why they failed that hard with her considering Jack never had that problem... not even in Torchwood.

On that topic, even if you are not a whovian i would recomend Torchwood seasons 1 to 3. It´s like british X-files or something and season 3 is fucking awesome.

I am thinking you have already watched that anyways. Most good ones i can think of are old/ not currently airing...

You seem to get it
And you're right, I gave Torchwood a chance as well before.
As for the Dr Who thing, when I heard about the female thing my first pure reaction to it was "hey, the Dr is a woman now, and she's decently hot, could be an interesting thing to see" But then it was all about muh female empowerment and "Bill is a lezzie!!" and "London had more blacks in it" followed by "Jesus was black too!" So it really went down the sewer

I'm a star trek fan and I liked it a lot, main character walks the line of mary sue but manages to stay on the right side of it for the most part. Visuals were very good for a TV show of this type, too.

It's a good start, could go either way from here though.

Ignore the manchildren screaming SJW bullshit
Watch it and make your own conclusions
Reminder that being influenced by Sup Forums, Sup Forums of all places, is the ultimate certificate of stupidity

This, definitely.

If Sup Forums were around in the 60's, the very idea of Uhura, Sulu and Chekhov on the bridge would have made them scream SJW. They would have literally called Captain James T. Kirk a cuck because he wasn't racist like them.

The show is awful, and I wanted to badly to like it. Paid for cbs prime, and watched my favorite series crumble. Continuity errors, freaky Klingon, bad acting, and special effects to the max. If you've never seen star trek before this may be the show for you

Star Trek has always been pro-communist, pro-SJW propaganda you fucking autist. You realise you're LITERALLY asking us if the show will trigger you, right? Holy fucking shit.

And i though JJ fucked up...

IT's missing the light humor star trek is known for, the show is way too serious

I've just watched the first two episodes as I didn't realise it had already started.

I'm unclear why they've changed the Klingon's design. Has this been explained?

When I started watching I thought they were Reman at first.

asdas

It´s happening a lot lately and on most shows. It´s not wrong to put those things there on the subtext but when the themes take the center of the stage i feel cheated.

Like with Penny Dreadful. Show was supposed to be like monster league of legendary gentleman oriented to terror right? That and the victorian setting was what i was there for... Vanessa Ives was a strong woman on it´s own accord and Billi Piper had an interesting role too, all good.

Then at season 3 the show was all about Billi chopping dicks and making an army of women and hispanic Dr Jekill for no reason and it really lost me. I understand that at the time there was a woman revolution for their right to vote and all that but turning a horror show into that was uncalled for.

On the other hand Black sails balanced it beautifuly. It organically adressed racism and homosexuality in a way that not only did not hinder the plot but it actually strenghted it.

Very first episode... the stronk independent female is very annoyed by male character she obviously considers incompetent, and shoves him aside in a most controlling and superior manner. Also turns out she is the only one on the ship with BALLS enough to preemptively attack the Klingons, and is willing to commit mutiny in order to do so. And of course she isn't punished for this.. You go gurl!

>And of course she isn't punished for this

um, no?

>gets reassigned to the cool jew actor's ship in the third episode
not much of a punishment

Maybe a section 31 sub plot.

Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I expected... except for the fact that it was supposed to be a prequel. That was dumb. I mean, really dumb. They could have done the exact same thing, with the exact same actors, and the exact same props, and made it as a future Trek and it would have worked out fine. What the fuck were they thinking?

Anyway, it isn't worth it to me to pay for a premium service just to watch this stuff, so I won't be subscribing to anything. I know it's just going to get worse as time goes on.

No it wasn't. Have you watched any of it?

oh no not an independent woman

Yes it was. A semi-pacifist Federation that seeks exploration and expansion trough diplomatic means incorporating diversity of other species in its own fleet so they can all work together towards the same goal.

The show that ultimately capitulated to the demands of the feminists to create a female starship captain not because it would make a great character but because gender equality and is consistent with the universe.

You're both full of shit.

This.

People say Handmaids is SJW propaganda, but I still like the show.

There's no such thing as "equality" in the sense you idiots employ it. It's as much an unattainable fantasy as interstellar travel. Leftism is definitely a serious mental disorder.

>No it wasn't.

>Japanese
>Russian
>Black girl
>European

>60's

This.

Not that guy, and "SJW" is inaccurate, but Star Trek HAS always been politically minded, in setting and tone. Even when you think it wasn't.

You think putting a black guy each in charge of both the weapons AND the engine, in the late 1980s during the heroin epidemic wasn't intentional?

This.

The show will be political, but not in the way you assume. It will be political in the same way Game of Thrones is political, if that's OK with you youll be OK with Star Trek: Discovery too.

This. Show is completely forgettable on every respect.

If you read between the lines the Ferengi are clear criticism by the creator of the capitalist society. Ruthless merchants and swindlers.

Wow. The shills are definitely thick in this thread. I'm sure Shatner is one of them.

Hello, Mr. "I-get- -one-percent-of-every-Star-Trek-property".

I'm fine with independent women, they need to be able to stand on their own and be responsible if hubby dies.

But that doesn't mean they should be out exploring the universe, even in the future (maybe especially in a Marxist one like Trek) they should stay home to protect their children from the roving hordes of negroes undoubtedly ignored by the state controlled media.

>personal ownership of real estate
>personal property
>personal privacy
>weapons ownership
>elected officials
>personal liberties
>rule of law
>protection of courts

"commie utopia"

>female minority dies to make way for white male captain
based

memery aside, the season preview looked way too much like a continouos story, probably wont be anything like star trek.

That is very clearly what is happening.
I saw a sneak peek at upcoming episodes, USS Discovery is obviously controlled by directly by Section 31, rather than the Federation or Starfleet.

This. The Picard family has owned their Winery for centuries.

And janeway's beta husband has a house in Indiana.

"Battletrek Starlactica"

BattleStar Treklactica

StarttleTrek Galactica

>I'm fine with independent women, they need to be able to stand on their own and be responsible if hubby dies.

But they aren't. And they know they don't have to be, either. Whether their husband dies or she throws him out, the state is there to take over his job of looking out for her, so he becomes useless, like a walking appendix. It's called cultural marxism, and it's becoming quite pernicious.

>Is it worth it?

do you live outside the US and have Netflix? then yes.
thinking about buying into CBS All Access? lol no, unless you really really want to pay 10bux a month for commercial-free NCIS and Big Bang Theory too.
pirating? definitely.

all this talk about buying a channel or somehing is a meme right?
youre on Sup Forums and you dont know how to torrent? are you fucking retarded?

>personal ownership of real estate
As long as you're in service of the state or retired.
>personal property
Yes commies had personal property.
>personal privacy
Commies have that too
>Weapon ownership
On a federation spaceship that's provided by the federation and weapons issued by the federation
>Elected officials
>The United Federation of Planets, abbreviated as UFP and usually referred to as "the Federation", is a fictional interstellar federal republic in the Star Trek science fiction franchise, composed of numerous planetary sovereignties. In the UFP the member planetary governments agreed to exist semi-autonomously under a single central authority based on the Utopian principles of universal liberty, rights, and equality, and to share their knowledge and resources in peaceful cooperation and space exploration; each member world retained its own political and social structure, with the Federation itself serving as a 'United Nations'-type advisory body.

Basically the EU of today.

>personal liberties
Yes commies had those as well, as long as it didn't hinder the state
>rule of law
communism is lawless. kek
>protection of courts
heh.

You clearly don't know how communism functions. It doesn't just impose itself and strip you of all your property and let other people move in. The state now allows you to live there. That's the only difference.

I'm french so I can watch Star Trek discovery without being jewed.

Now here's my biggest complain about the two episodes we have: WHERE IS THE CREW ?

Seriously, Star Trek is now to have a severe case of officer wanking, huge elitism pushing only officers does stuff... but in discovery it becomes ridiculous. At NO point you see anyone except officers on the ship, they even ignore the fact there is other people beside officers on the ship with 10 frigging decks. Are they really 8 people and that's it ?

Why only worry about the asshole in the brigg when you just lost 10% of the ship and probably hundred of people ? Why not send a FRIGGING SQUAD to the klingon ship instead of the two most ranking officer ?

Why is this show making no sense and try to make us like "heroes" doing stuff like hiding bombs inside corpse after the battle ?

tl;dr

Starttlestar GaTrektica

But a 'woman' named Michael jet-packed into an asteroid field full of deadly radiation for no apparent reason. Then her (is that the correct pronoun?) DNA turned into spaghetti. Not to even mention those bad ass Klingons. How awesome was that?

>Why not send a FRIGGING SQUAD to the klingon ship instead of the two most ranking officer?

Because the transporters only had enough power left to send two people, duh. That's probably how they would have written it anyway.

I also like how Sarek answered the phone instantly. Can you imagine if he got the call while he was pooping or something?

>Because the transporters only had enough power left to send two people, duh. That's probably how they would have written it anyway.
Then why send your captain and lieutenant ? Whyyyyyyy

STD after 2 episodes
>"It's shit, don't bother with the series, watch TNG or DS9 instead"
TNG and DS9
"It's amazing, you have to watch it, you just have to slog through the first couple seasons (40 ish episodes) that suck"
-Captain Fucking Hindsight

The difference is that was Federation-internal, and not a plot point. They didn't have a faction of racial segregationists act as antagonists IIRC. They had Klingons and Romulans and shit but not a primary antagonist who represented a real life group of about half the population.

>I'm in need of good sci fi shows to watch.

Don't watch it then. nuTrek is all about splosions and starships entering atmospheres when and wherever the fuck they want for a quick teleport 20 feet above ground.
Watch literally anything else.

>Ignore the manchildren screaming SJW bullshit

kek

>a primary antagonist who represented a real life group of about half the population.
what ? do you really believe half your population see themself as racial segregationists ?

If you want to stay away from political or social themes all-together then really most Treks will not be for you.

That's every episode of Star Trek. No matter if it's a security matter, first contact, dropping off supplies, some science shit, it's always a few random members of the bridge crew and maybe an unnamed redshirt. Realistically they'd have different specialized teams of people for different away missions, not bridge officers that would have to leave their post.

>Star Trek is now to have a severe case of officer wanking
>now

O'Brien was pretty much the only enlisted Starfleet main character in the TNG era.

Don't like welfare queens? Well bad news bud, we're going to see millions more in the future.

TreklleTrek Starlactistar

But in STD it's to the point you don't even SEE non-officer crew members

Don't forget about Young Sheldon, we also get to see a new Navy SEAL TV show starring a 50 year old man!

Whenever they force cast a female in a male role, they always have to prove to the audience how strong, brave, capable, and adventurous they are. You can only get away with this if they are eye candy, which she definitely is not.

Can you imagine if the navy operated like this?

I know. That's the plan, apparently.

I think she's cute in a simple, plain sorta way. She's definitely no Halle Berry or Paula Patton though

I'm not American but that's not what I'm referring to. In STD the Klingons are based on Trump supporters, and about half the popular vote was for him. That's not a Star Trek staple and it's not how they handled topical issues in other series.

Hopefully the Trump thing is a smokescreen and the Klingons are more allegorical for ISIS than Trump supporters.

>You clearly don't know how communism functions.

Typical commie projection.

that's because the character is meant to be trans, why else would you have a masculine name like Micheal, makes you think the character was originally male or trans

She does look like a lot like Halle Berry

Because half of the US voted for Trump doesn't mean all those people are racist supremacist or something...

>why else would you have a masculine name like Micheal
because Bryan Fuller has a fetish ?

checked
I'm not a commie tho. Communism doesn't work for numerous reasons.

90% of the Federation side of the episode took place on the bridge or the office directly behind it which is why you only saw the bridge officers except for a couple shots of random crew in the hallway. There are plently of episodes that only feature the bridge crew and a few random crew persons. They propbably didn't bother showing more of the crew and locations because the ship is only in the first two episodes and they wanted to focus on setting up the few characters which will be in later episodes.

Is this the new fanfic thread for the Battlestar Galactica remake?

It's still weird:

> Oh my god, half the ship is destroyed and casualty are high but let's worry about the girl we just send to prison

> The ship is almost destroyed and we have to make quick decisions to survive: let's send the captain in a suicide mission and not a random guy with a gun

At least The Orville isn't pretending it's not fanfic.

just watched the first episode.
meh

The captain was okey,
number one sucks ass, hope she gets killed in action soon.
Lame alien guy
Crappy klingons that holds meetings
Little bit sad, I fear this is the last Star Trek for another 20 years. I seriously belive I could have set up a better crew and setting.

Gonna watch some hyperdrive instead.

>watching Dr. Who
That's your first problem

That would be ridiculous!
"We're sending a boat over to infiltrate and comandeer and enemy ship, let's take our ranking medical officer, the officer in charge of maintain our ship's nuclear reactor, our radar technician, and me, the Captain.

Watching the first two episodes really made me wish that, Micheal got killed and then Captain Georgiou was given the go ahead to wage a crusade against the Klingon where she goes full spess Ching Shih and builds a fleet that terrorises Klingon vessels on the edges of Federation Space.

Have you seen other Trek to any appreciable degree? What was your favorite?

This one seems like a potentially wild ride of an ENT riff with broad DS9 nods.

The meta is a stench to be whiffed deeply and calmly and sensibly chuckled at, tear wipe and all, for herein lies the meaty crust of the memes most dankest. This shit is motherfucking ANTI-SJW. Michael Brimstonebacon is the house negress upgraded to a board room negress playing out a "Hey black girls, act this white and/or Asian and you, too, can get your own starship!" narrative, Cap'n Chinky is a Chekov/Scotty/Sulu/Uhuru tier racial shamelessly offensive racial parody nose-thumbing globalist China who is portrayed as consistently naive to the point of incompetence, the Klingons are a no-muss no-fuss Boko Haram/ISIS "the mere existence of your culture is an inexcusable violent attack on ours" analogue with the horror movie twist that they have the superior arms thanks to cloaks they didn't have last time, the Vulcans maintained peace with the Klingons by shooting first and never asking questions and >pussyface.

In spite of all these very real things you will notice watching it, it simultaneously plays off as a YASSSSSS commander girlboss tale of a no-bullshit type AAA personality ice queen who is too busy trying to save the Federation to play by the rules.

Sup Forums and parts of Sup Forums and fighting tooth and nail to rain largely misfiring shit down on something most of them would actually enjoy in its subversive advancement of the myth of white American excellence.

>Hey! Those Ferengi are obviously extremely offensive antisemitic caricatures!
>LOOK , A BLACK CAPTAIN!
>A progressive neoliberal masterpiece.

>get cbs access just for trek for the free week
>go to cancel it
>they offer me a month

Sure I'll keep it for a month and then cancel it lel

the klingons look like space egyptians

>switch to to descriptive audio version
>FIRE ERUPTS IN THE BRIG. CONNOR IS SUCKED OUT INTO SPACE

I love the narrator. He makes it sound more exciting than it is.

Their design was one of the strong points, the space visuals were great too.

> "The ship is almost destroyed and we have to make quick decisions to survive: let's send the captain in a suicide mission and not a random guy with a gun"

That's literally Insurrection, Nemesis, Wrath of Kahn (Spock fixing the engine instead of one of may engineers), and quite a few episodes of Voyager and Enterprise.

I unironically want this to happen.

Hopefully they bring along a reality TV crew.

Sorry for being ignorant to Trek. But I'm watching the first episode now.

Why does the federation ship look like a Klingon ship?