Ed Skrein in Battle Angel Alita

Get your crab legs ready. Battle Angel Alita, based on the Japanese Manga series, has a release date of July 18, 2018. The cast is almost entirely white and hispanic with no Asian actors playing leads or supporting leads.

The funniest thing is that Ed Skrein, the actor that received recent attention for dropping out of the Hellboy reboot because he found out the character was Asian is playing another Asian character in this film. This movie is produced and written by James Cameron, directed by Robert Rodriguez, and has a budget of $200 million.

Ed Skrein as Zapan. Lead character, Alita, played by American Rosa Salazar.

I've waited for 10 years for Cameron to make this film and he hands it over to Robert Rodriguez. I'm fucking heartbroken.

As long as Rodriguez has some actual money to work with it might be ok

What's with this trend of hiring ugly fucking women for main roles? What are they hoping to achieve with this?

The orbital elevator and the rest of the film at least in the comics was set in Utah or Arizona so it makes sense they would have all the brown or white. Too bad all the other planet humans and leaders won't be until the second and third film

They simply can't make justice to the manga
Maybe Waltz can make it watchable

>directed by Robert Rodriguez

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>casper van dien
this has the potential for schlock

Who cares about asian actors, this silly meme again? First of all there aren't many asian A-listers if none that are known worldwide. Secondly it's a sci-fi movie that is taking place in an imaginary world, not Tokyo.

I thought she was cute and pretty good in Maze Runner 2, but I thought she's a bit old to play Alita

It fuckin hurts dude. As soon as I heard Cameron was doing it himself I was like holy fucking shit it's going to be perfect.
Way she goes man. Way she goes. She didn't go this time. Way she goes.

This cast just screams "flop"

>Rosa Salazar
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAAAA

Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't, that's the way she goes...

There's already a version of Alita in Hollywood.
It's called Elysium and it sucks.
We don't need a more weebshit version of it that everyone will hate anyway and it will almost certainly flop.

Ed Skrein is a jew rat who dropped hellboy because he knew itd bomb, and used the white-washing thing as an excuse. He's not dropping this film because James Cameron is directing, even though the character is asian in this flick too

watch her is Maze Runner 2 she was good. I'd take her over cunts like JLaw or ScarJo anytime

How come people instantly complain if a foreign character is turned white but when the reverse happens it is called progressive and why are they trying to ruin the one medium left I enjoy by making into capeshit tier flicks for dumb normies to enjoy?

She's a cow

The manga is set in America...

>normies
|You don't belong here newfag

I worked on the movie. AMA.

pic is proof

What part of the Alta story are they doing, the begging, the coliseum or wha ?
There is some good mad max stuff in Alita.

>Rosa Salazar.
Well fuck Alita is supposes to be this lovable Bitch that does whatever the fuck she wants, but they are gona fuck it up.

How aware were you of the source material before you worked on it, any of the other crew members fans of anime or manga?

At least one of my coworkers knew of it. Its more about the crew doing their job than the dream to work on a high brand new film aka Star Wars.

I watch anime but never read the Battle Angel manga so I basically did a quick refreshment on the overall plot.

>I watch anime
Any particular favourites? It'd be nice to know what type of anime people in the industry like. Also I have a conspiracy theory that Disney bully other studios into buying the licenses to other books so that they purposefully make bad adaptations while in return it makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars look good. Your thoughts?

The resemblance is uncanny!

>Chiren
>Gelda
>Vektor
>Amok
Are those original characters? None rings a bell.

just to name a few:

movies: Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Miyazaki films, Summer Wars, Grave of the Fireflies, Perfect Blue

series: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, DBZ + DB Super, Hunter x Hunter, Black Lagoon, GITS: Stand Alone Complex, Space Dandy

I want to believe this will be good.

>Not remembering vector
come on he the main antagonist of the fist story.

I can't wait until hispanics are the majority in American and white people will get all the minority perks and bitching rights

That's cool man.

What's Robert Rodriguez like on set? Did you get to see much of him telling department heads what he wanted or directing actors? I'm always curious about directors' process.

Call sheet says a 62 day shoot, was that really it? Did you work a lot of OT or is the script really short or what? How many page eighths and camera setups would you do per day?

It would be great if Ed Skrein dropped out of the Hellboy reboot to play a slave in blackface named Mandingo and the SJW applause just slowly stops

i dont read a lot of manga but this one held my attention from beginning to end. its very action oriented so its easier for hollywood to get right unlike GitS

> What's Robert Rodriguez like on set? Did you get to see much of him telling department heads what he wanted or directing actors? I'm always curious about directors' process.

Basically Rob only communicated with the DP Bill Pope (who did The Matrix movies), VFX supervisor, and the 1st AD on set. The DP and 1st AD relay things to set up the lighting and other things needed for a shoot (actors, props, extras, stunts, SFX, etc).

> Call sheet says a 62 day shoot, was that really it? Did you work a lot of OT or is the script really short or what? How many page eighths and camera setups would you do per day?

Many departments had pre calls, including myself, because they have to get actors into Hair/make Up/Costumes and get the background ready. Many days there were 300+ extras so there were a lot of people in pre call. Departments not getting pre call are mostly camera, grip/electric. Based on that pre call many got OT but most days did not go over 12 hours. I

t was shot in the fall so days outside on the large set in the back lot of Trouble Maker Studios were restricted due to the sun or night time if working all night. You can push time working on set past 12 hours more effectively if you're working on a inside stage with a pre built set which the film had.

>The cast is almost entirely white and hispanic with no Asian actors playing leads or supporting leads.

Are you implying this is a problem? The story isn't taking place in japan.

Did you shoot any Volume stuff or is it all live-action?

Stereoscopic rig or post-converted? What kind of camera/lenses? Do you know if it's going to be 4k, HFR, etc?

What would you estimate daily spend and total gross budget to be?

Zapan is a foot note in the story line.

Anyone here watched the OVA series? One of my favorites, wish it went on longer.

> no neon genesis evangelion

pleb confirmed. movies is trash

So you've watched around twenty-thirty series?

>Christoph Waltz as Ido

its fine but for me the series really comes together after fish rain.

The OVA was pretty good but at 2 episodes nothing to ring home about. The manga is where it's at.
Last Order be damned.

Probably not even that much. Those are all among the very first series teenage/YA males tend to watch.

I remember it being a pretty bland adaptation. I'd probably like it more if I hadn't read the manga.

>Last Order
Didn't happen, it doesn't exist, it's just a an urban myth meant to haunt fans of the story.

>that list
Jesus, dude, develop some personal taste.

>Waltz as Ido

goddamnit.

>directed by Robert Rodriguez

>mfw

Pretty much this. Talk about unnecessarily long fight scenes. Jesus christ.

>Fucking plebs gtfo you mongrel

Yeah, the tournament arc was a huge mistake. It picked up after that when it started focusing on Ido and Desty Nova. Should probably finish it at some point because I've heard good things about Mars Chronicles.

I'm guessing the movie is rated pg-13? Do the cyborgs still bleed blue blood or has that been changed?

I finished Last Order and had zero interest in continuing to Mars Chronicles, so I can't speak to it, but I doubt it gets any better. Well, at least the tournament is over. But the decline in the art is noticeable.

desty nova's base was NORAD, in the Cheyenne mountains, near Colorado Springs, Colorado

No rating yet, but can't imagine them making a $200 million R movie

I'm just curious if Alita's origin story is still the same as it was in the PSX game.
>The Queen of Mars dies from a disease that sprouts heads all over her body. One of the heads is removed and given an artifical body.

>Rosa Salazar/ALITA/PUTA
What did they mean by this?

r rating confirmed.

Do you think it's gonna suck?

not as much as you're mom, lmao

This. Be honest OP.

Is it still going to be CG or is it going to be live action filmed in the same fashion as Planet Terror?

Hardly anyone in GUNM/Battle Angel Alita looks Asian Anyways. Not even the main characters.

If this was 10 years ago, they would have used Jessica Alba.

I think Figure 4 is the only one.

From Last Order we learned that the scrapyard isn't located in Asia. It's located in the U.S.
So why would they cast Asian actors ?

Jessica Alba would've been perfect actually

Too old, too tall and too brown.

She would have been, But Cameron already put her "not Battle Angel Alita" the series called "Dark Angel".

>IM CONSERVATIVE THANKS Sup Forums XD

Holy fucking cringe

>Outside his rap career, he is best known for his roles as Daario Naharis in Season 3 of Game of Thrones, Frank Martin Jr. in The Transporter Refueled and Francis Freeman/Ajax in Deadpool

What did you mean by this?

Would you say that Alita is a looker?

I see nothing about these characters being "asian" op?

Are you lost? What the fuck does this even have to do with the thread?