Is it time to admit that this was better than Disney Star Wars?

Is it time to admit that this was better than Disney Star Wars?

CBaoth was an ok wacky over the top character
Thrawn was somewhat interesting, but the trilogy is mediocre at best

At least it has some creativity to it unlike Disney nu Star wars

They gave literal nobodies, fanfic authors, cartoons and Lucas' kid free reign to do whatever they wanted and called it canon even if that meant directly contradict the movies. So no.

Star Wars begins and ends with Dark Forces for the PC.

the movies are not canon

>Starkiller Base = worse version of Suncrusher
>Snoke = worse version of One Sith
>First Order = worse version of Imperial Remnant
>Kylo Ren = worse version of Jacen Solo
>Rey = worse version of Jaina Solo
>Mega Star Destroyer = worse version of Eclipse

yes, please come back

A Hugo Award winner (Tim Zahn) is not a nobody. It's no surprise that his trilogy was the best of the books and better than current movies. The Theawn Trilogy could have been better, but they were still good. They should have let C'Baoth be a clone of Obi-Wan as he was originally envisioned.

I like this book trilogy for acknowledging that there's no such thing as an unarmed spaceship. Any rocket engine powerful enough to be interesting is a dangerous weapon.

What I hate about the new movies is the fact I know about the EU.

The Suncrusher was great because it was better than the Death Star in how it participated in the story. Starkiller was literally Death Star 3.0. The Suncrusher was a physical representation of the force. Kyp had to pull the vessel from the heart of a gas giant to claim his mount, and like the dark side he expected to perform a selfish act with it for good reasons.

The result? He blew up a planet and killed his only living relative (no doubt another potential Jedi for Luke to train). The emotional damage kyp suffered due to this weapon the Empire created matched Leia's own - watching the last of his family die.

Starkiller was 'LOL DEATH PLANET!'

thrawn trilogy and the details about young jedi making their own lightsabers was really cool
luuuke and chewbaccas children being jedis wasnt

Bro. I wish more people would read these books. The Jedi academy stuff was cool.

Captain Pellaeon was the real hero the empire needed

Name of the trilogy?

His assassination by Tahiri was manly tears.

Jedi Academy. The ghost of Exar Kun was terrifying.

>Evil clone Luke Skywalker named LUUKE

The Darth Bane book was LITTY. I haven't listened to the 2 sequels however. I saw that Mark Hamill cartoon Bane clip and it triggered me how faggy his version sounds compared to the guy who narrated the book. Hamill's Bane sounds like Curry's Pennywise. Totally meme tier instead of a smooth big guy.

Cheers m88

There was some decidedly good shit to be found amongst the old Expanded Universe - the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, Legacy, even Shatterpoint. But for every good book or comic, there was at least one utter turd that should never have been written and is better off dead. That, plus the fact that a good 70% of the EU was neither good nor bad, just completely unnecessary and ultimately forgettable fanfaction about a random alien who appeared in the Mos Eisley cantina for 0.7 seconds. Stuff that simply didn't need to exist, and by merit of doing so in such tremendous numbers and painstaking detail, actually detracted from the magic and wonder of Star Wars.

I guess what I'm saying is that the EU was a total mess and although some of it was quite well-crafted (moreso than several of the movies in fact), you can't really describe the entire thing generally except perhaps to say "too much".

KOTOR II will always be the best Star Wars story. Just on that alone the EU is a million times better than nu-Wars.

The Old Republic Cinematics are better than Ep 7.

>Stuff that simply didn't need to exist, and by merit of doing so in such tremendous numbers and painstaking detail, actually detracted from the magic and wonder of Star Wars.

this is a pretty apt criticism of the entire expanded universe