Mother

J Law shouldn't have shown her nipples for such a retarded movie

Everyone already seen it so it doesn't matter.

What exactly was retarded about this film? Are you too stupid to understand metaphors? This film isn't even as deep as others... I don't understand the hate that this film is receiving. The only thing I thing that they did wrong was the marketing. Warner bros. are fucking retarded for making this movie seem as a horror when its more of a thriller.

it wasnt clever or interesting
hurr people are ruining the planet yes we get it

>are you too stupid to understand it
No buddy I understood the Bible just fine

This film was meant to be interpreted many ways, yeah that was one way to see the film but it had more angles to it too. Why do you think they made the theatrical poster for the film look like Rorschach test?

Yes, that is one of the movie's themes dumbed down and said with the words of a retard. That can be done with any movie, it doesn't make mean it's any bad, it just means you're an idiot for being too lazy/stupid to criticize it properly.

Its one of those films that believe themselves to be smarter than they are, when is just a very basic and already done hundreds of time allegory. It could had been worse I guess, but I understand the hate, specially when the movie was marketed as a horror movie.

Then what exactly was wrong then? I'm just curious since most of the hate is because it's too "fake deep" when it knows exactly what it wants to say and convey. There's nothing fake about it. Not saying this film is the best out there but I'd rather see this than The Hangover 3. It had some interesting things to say and test out and I commend them for at least trying. 6-7/10 for me.

Yeah, it's not Original and it's definitely been done before. I thought it was at least worth seeing for last 30 minutes. It felt like a fucking fever dream and thought it was trippy af. It had a rocky beginning but It had some saving graces.

How exactly can a film "believe it's too smart"? Are you talking about the director? How do you know what he believes?

People who like it think it's 2deep4u and can't admit it's just an amateur movie

The director has no idea what he was going for. Watch his interviews of him, he sounds like a pretentious hack.

I thought this was a fantastic film. The style with which it was shot was carefully crafted and purposed. The allegories are not overtly or unnecessarily complicated (provided you have basic knowledge of Christian lore). It is daring, unafraid of entering surrealist territory, and still manages to stay sensical. The acting was well above the average nowadays.

I only had two problems with the film after a first viewing: I didn't think the cyclical element of the story was necessary, and would've appreciated it more if the story had began a couple of scenes later, and ended a couple earlier. Also, the CGI was not amazing, but I found that to be easily forgiven.

Don't need to watch any interviews, the movie spoke for itself, and I found it to be pretty easy to follow, and conveyed what it was going for very effectively. To me, this meant that the director knew exactly what he was going for. I honestly don't see how its 2deep4 anyone, or why you'd even bring it up.

I hated that "It's a cycle" Trope, it's up there with the "It's all a dream" shit and it feels like lazy writing. But yeah, it was a good film. It had themes and people are calling it retarded and 2deep4me.

It had Bible references and didn't fit normal plot structure and character development so it was too hard for it understand. I hate to sound like a pretentious dick, but it wasn't even deep of bible references either. It just boggles me how people pan anything they don't understand.

Pics?
>Even though I've basically seen her butt ass naked
Look, different contexts make it feel new ok?

Someone post jlaw nippers

I like the movie and all but lets not act like nothing was wrong with it. It beat the audience over the head with "metaphors" for shock value. It's a competent entry level art movie, but hardly without flaws.

It's like that one autistic kid in class who thinks he's so damn smart but really he's autistic.

Yup, definitely could have done things better. the pacing felt off during the film at points. Especially during the beginning and during the very end. The CGI wasn't the best and could have used more tension.

Haven't we already seen her nipples? Didn't we already see way more than her nipples including her "I've just finished being sexed up shiny face, blurry eyes, and smeared makeup" look?

Yeah maybe if the director hadn't blown his load and told everybody what it all means. There's a reason David Lynch doesn't explain shit about his movies.

I think that the notion of having to "get" a film, or that it's meant to bring in a philosophy or "message" that has never been thought of before is a big problem among the audiences of "smarter" movies that is limiting the medium terribly. Many people don't realize that filmmakers aim to make you FEEL a certain way as much, if not more, than they want to make you THINK a certain way. Ironically, movies that are aimed to be more commercial have this nailed down (since it's more easy to do), and the audiences get it.

I haven't seen his interviews, does he really just tell everyone the meaning to this movie? That's fucking retarded. He gave 12 pages of review to film critics so they'd understand the film and I just that thought was so stupid of him.

Film of the year. Surface level symbolism or not, fucking masterpiece.

>>He gave 12 pages of review to film critics so they'd understand the film
>UNDERSTAND MY MOVIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

We have to take a stand agasn't dishonest cinema, plebian.

That is true but in the end their messages and themes become streamlined, this usually limits the discussion for the film since there really isn't much to talk about it. Mother! gave more questions than answers and people don't like that.

>somehow missed the entire metaphor past he's God and she's earth
>someone tells me Robocop and Catowman were supposed to be Adam and Eve
>suddenly every single metaphor falls into place from the the rib to the apple to the sink to the brothers and all that shit
fuck I'm retarded

The only problem I have with this, is why is God/Poet greedy for fame? Why is this a cycle? I get all the biblical illusions but not that.

My biggest issue with is that Aronofsky is capable of much more subtle film making. Requiem for a Dream is similar to mother! in how obvious and blunt their respective messages are. However, I'm more lenient with Requiem since it was made at the beginning of Aronofsky's career. Compared to the patience and research that went into films like The Wrestler and Black Swan, it's strange that he would regress to this aggressive style of film making.

God is petty and jealous in the Old Testament. As for the cycle: I guess he needs to restart the world by extracting whats left of purity and love. The crystal also acts as the forbidden fruit.

You missed the whole Cain and Abel thing? Down to the killing and brand on his forehead?

Yeah, I agree RFAD and Mother! have some noticable similarities. But surprisingly I haven't seen The Wrestler or Black Swan yet... I think I'm going to have to check it out tomorrow!

yea, man, I don't know how it happened
I learned the bible as a kid, too, so I feel pretty fucking stupid about it

Oh shit user. It all makes sense now! Thanks for explaining it to me!

Both has very simple plots with underlying tones. The Wrestler is probably the most original. If you want more of the same, just watch The Fountain.

I'll be checking out all of his work, aronofsky's work is relatively good all around from what I've seen. So if Mother is an ok work from what he's done. I'm excited to see what his better has in tale for me.

>J Law shouldn't have shown her nipples for such a retarded movie

Why? Is she going to run out of nipples if she shows them too much?

They aim to make money so they put meaningless imagery in so retards will convince all their retard friends to go see it so they can have retard arguments about whos retarded "interpretation" makes them the philosopher-king grand retard for that month.

What's the sink metaphor? and the pushy guy asking for her number?

the sink is Noah's flood
I can't exactly say who the pushy guy was supposed to be, though perhaps he, along with the couple that wouldn't get off the sink, just represents the debaucherous behavior of man before the first purge of Noah's flood

Perfect, thank you

>crack

The Reason we never get the real name for Him/The Poet/Creator is because in Jeduism and Christianity, you're not supposed to say God's real name which is Yahweh or written as YHVH. His name isn't supposed be written or said, only the High priests would be able to say a couple of times a year.

It's another movie that I appreciate more than I enjoyed watching. I'm aware it's to go along with the symbolism of it all, but everyone just acts strange enough to not get invested in anything. The last 40 minutes were pretty delightful, though. I thought everything from mother preparing dinner to her burning the house was enthralling. But the amount of time the camera spends in close up with J Law felt more gimicky/annoying than investing.

damn imagine jlaws body but with literally any other woman's face

hnnnng

>dude humans are ruining the earth all the white people should die
>BIBLICAL IMAGERY LMAO
>duuuurrrrrr

She must have sucked a lot of jews to get so famous. Looks like one of those averages of the facial features in some eastern euro shithole

this. this is how I also feel. But I wouldn't recommend people see the film.

People were upset about being marketed a home invasion horror thriller that turned out to be a bible metaphor with a touch of green aesop.

But user, those mother earth metaphors are simply added bonus to the main story, which is about two people in a relationship, that is doomed because they want different things.
I get it that you need to hear Mike and Jay's opinions first but try and think with your own head next time will ya?

>which is about two people in a relationship, that is doomed because they want different things.
Watch any of Aronofsky's interviews on mother!, it's not about that.

I don't give a fuck about the symbols. I'm just glad it was made and glad it's fucking with all the retards and kiss-asses enough to talk about. Setting the story and Aronofsky's crude pretensions aside (he's definitely an asshole), it's the best movie of the year. The KW cameo gives it the lock. It'll get a fuckload of academy awards. I hope it makes money though. I hope there's more of this from studios than some dumb marvel shit.

I don't understand why everyone has to hate on this movie just because it's doing a repetitive theme.
Yes it was done before but I feel as if this is the most visceral example of it.
There's no need to hate on something that was simply trying to be provocative while also exemplifying a theme thats been done before.
The movie just felt like a more palatable fiction in comparison to the shit that was "An Inconvenient Truth."

It clearly is.