Is there a sci fi film as under rated as this?

Is there a sci fi film as under rated as this?

Pardon? This isnt underrated. Its just old. Nobody cares to discuss it any longer and the TV show had something to do with it i assume.

In what universe is it considered underrated? Most people think it's a classic.

altho THIS... it isnt rated highly enough

I think its safely one of the top 10 greatest sci fi movies ever made but people treat it like it was Inceptions levels of bretty gud but not amazing

It could have been good if they had cast a human being as the lead.

It's an excellent film and was rated as such. However, it was also made in 2002 - coincidentally many of the fuckwits who plague this board were also born around that time.

blows it at the ending sadly. and no, the idea that the ending is a dream does not improve it.

>called Minority Report
>It's not about a black guy writing an essay

It was pretty overrated

it's rated pretty fairly, it's not an all time great but it's bretty gud

it is however under appreciated/not as well known as it should be

A film isn't underrated just because it isn't talked about.

Hunter Prey is the most underrated sci-fi film out there. Unfortunately it's entire advertising campaign spoils it's best part. It's best if you go in blind and don't look up any trailers/synposis/images anything.

one of tom cruise's better sci-fi movies. I've heard edge of tomorrow is one of his best though, need to watch that sometime.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN

>The film that literally every single writer ever compares current AR/VR advancements to since the movie came out is underrated

Its fucking annoying as a grad student

>being bad now somehow constitutes as being underrated

the movie really feels early 00s with its cinematography, it's a shame it's aging badly that way even if other parts of it remain rock solid

I wonder what I will criticize of modern movies 15 years from now

It's a million miles better than mid 2000s shakycam or 2010s lens flare freeform camera cgi bs.

Although to be fair I think the film would suit the better examples of contemporary cinematrography very well. MR had the bonus of an excellent cast too.

Southland Tales. God, was it ahead of its time.

the same thing that you criticize them now for
being unadulterated piss

Why couldn't they keep using the precogs to prevent crimes and just not imprison people? Put them on parole or something...

Well there's also the issue of the precogs being human beings and wanting their freedom.

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but it seems like nobody gave a fuck about that until someone got framed for murder. They could keep their slaves and the program could still work.

classic spielberg kino

A.I.

Probably 2 of my favorite sci fi along with gattaca

Edge of tomorrow is a decent watch

I've seen Hunter / Prey and it's indeed good. I guessed the "twist" after 30 seconds though.

how many would you like me to name?

be reasonable, but not afraid

out of all the movies based off philip k dick's work, this is probably the most fun to watch. i rewatch this once every year or two.

Is this a non horror jump scares thread?

no order

strange days
world on a wire
sunshine
silent running
dark city
12 monkeys
beyond the black rainbow
gattaca
alien 3
royal space force: the wings of honneamise
paprika
avalon
the adjustment bureau
star trek vi: the undiscovered country

Sunshine is dog shit
t. dog shit expert

Cool. I haven't seen 12 of those, so I'll check 'em out.

Sunshine, no thanks. They had a really nice slow burn going well going in the first half before dropping it altogether. Dark City is fairly rated, it's an interesting movie with a nice atmosphere and a steep descent into weirdness. 12 Monkeys is good and most people seem to think so as well. Gattaca is fondly remembered even if I personally think the movie's visuals/music are better than its plot. Honneamise + Paprika are slightly niche but both fairly rated. Both movies have the common thread of not having a proper scriptwriting supervisor and letting the creative director go absolutely apeshit with whatever they wanted.
Some interesting choices in this post though, you seem like a guy who knows what he likes.

enjoy

hold on, here we go

it sounds like you are so damn close. but i suspect you are still holding onto to the idea that a script MUST hold water and convey things in an easily identifiable way. this is a mistake, especially in this genre and does an injustice to both the script and almost all the other elements (aka the movie as a whole) by not allowing them to work together to their fullest.

i cant believe im saying this, but in some... many cases.. its better to just go in with an open non-critical mind and just see what happens. (just turn off your brain bro!).. more often than not, this allows the pieces to come together as they should. try things in different moods too.

sunshine is first and foremost a character study and a meditation on religion\spirituality\belief. the story is actually an allegory for it too. there are a lot of subtleties that reinforce this, but looking at the script directly and in isolation will make the third act appear to be a disaster, when ironically i think thats part of the point.

we are in general agreement on dark city, gattaca, and 12 monkeys. quick note though, im not just going by ratings.. its a combination of popularity, ratings, and probably a whole slew of other little things i cant quite convey. and my own bias, of course.

honneamise and paprika are exactly what they need to be. you reel in the visuals and tighten up the script and suddenly neither movie can bring as much as they do to the table.

not trying to be a dick, just food for thought. happy hunting either way

I'll keep these things in mind in the future, nice talking with you.

ay. for what its worth, your evaluation of the elements in and of themselves is.. scary good. especially for this board.

there is a sort of counterargument to my own on sunshine... boyle and garland tend to get themselves into trouble in third acts in some of their other work too. i suspect that the script did run out of gas on their end and it wasnt exactly deliberate, it just didnt have too many ways it could go, which plays disappointing as you watch it, especially the first time.

10 more before i call it a night..

altered states
oblivion (in this case the script is a much more serious problem and it is derivative but i think that shouldnt completely overshadow the audiovisual elements. the pacing is a problem at times too and the performances are hit or miss)
dune (yes, dune)
moon (possibly so underrated that it became overrated)
videodrome
predestination

and blade runner, the thing, solaris and stalker will probably always be underrated despite the acclaim.

i might be missing something with minority report, but to me it was sorta style over substance and kind of a rehash of only a few themes\ideas.. and the ending doesnt work for me. still manages to be a good movie, but i think thats all it is. putting it high on an underrated list would seem to exclude a lot, especially considering it does get some due.

if someone can sort of show me what i might be missing here that would be great

The Congress

>Establish the fact that the precogs can only see murder in the beginning
>When Cruise is walking around with the precog she predicts a whole bunch of not-murder shit

GATTACA

It just dawned me that's actually a really possible scenario.

top scifi me

Total recall
The matrix 1
blade runner
the fifth element
minority report
cube
gattaca
elysuim
star trek 4
he-man

overrated desu

Also the way precogs are made - children of women addicted to some kind of drug that used the dtugs all the way from fertilization to childbirth

>talks about underrated movies
>posts pic of overrated movie

imbecile

STOP
CALLING
CRITICALLY
ACCLAIMED
FILMS
UNDERRATED
JUST
BECAUSE
THEY'RE
>LE EBIN SCI FI XD
YOU
STUPID
PLEBEIAN
FUCKS

>tv show
What? Did I miss something?

>a black guy writing an essay

strains suspension of disbelief but okay

Mission to Mars

At least, I think it's underrated, I liked it a lot for the most part

>it seems like nobody gave a fuck about that until someone got framed for murder.
The public was lied to about who the precogs were and even how they functioned.

Murder was the only crime they were consistently good at predicting, other shit was more fuzzy but they still got it right now and then.

dude Minority Report is aging perfectly, it could be released this week and do just as well

I rewatched it again recently and hated it.
The bleached out colors gave me a fucking headache.