How come not a lot of people liked King Of The Hill as it was airing?

How come not a lot of people liked King Of The Hill as it was airing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NPaMLAow00Q
youtu.be/WlWmCXihec4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=NPaMLAow00Q

What? It got like 13 fucking seasons.

>you were the only kid in Highschool who liked King Of The Hill
>years after it finished airing KOTH becomes a meme and kids poke fun at KOTH of being an ugly show
>talk about KOTH outside of KOTH communities and it welcomes a lot of hate
>even Sup Forums hates KOTH

we were kids and didn't get it as easily as the Simpsons or family guy

It was too real

didnt really liked the characters back then, only hank and maybe his friends.

>even Sup Forums hates KOTH

youtu.be/WlWmCXihec4

King of the Hill is legitimately one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

Not even animated sitcoms--sitcoms period.

A lot of people couldn't get past the banal exterior to see bits like this.

It was boring.

The humor of KOTH was subtle and an acquired taste.
It wasn't slapstick, cutaways, or crass humor so a lot of people tuned it out.

>ven Sup Forums hates KOTH
now this is shitposting

now that is just a bold face lie i met plenty of people that love that show granted i am from the south so maybe it is different up north

This
I've never rewatched a show more, I've seen every episode at least 5 times

People point out but when people say "popular" re: King of the Hill they don't mean "successful." No one's saying it should've gone on as long as Simpsons or anything, just they wish there was more attention paid to it in certain areas (this is a show that I think commentary for more than a handful of episodes and behind-the-scenes information would be cool). But the plus side to it being less popular than, again, Simpsons is that instead of pointless quote threads all over the internet, when people talk about KotH they usually actually discuss it.

But actually King of the Hill was briefly popular in its first and second seasons, actually beating out The Simpsons. Then Fox fucked it over in its third season, changing its airing schedule erratically and airing some episodes out of order, and it lost that popularity. Until the end of its run it was put in weird timeslots, preempted by football, etc. Even if you wanted to watch it you might end up missing it anyway.

Also people sometimes assume it's "redneck/hick" humor, hate the art style for some reason (I don't get this one, honestly), or just feel that as a cartoon it should be wackier or utilize the medium more or something. Not saying everyone who dislikes it feels that way, but this is what I've heard from some people who say they hate it without really having seen it.

Also, for Sup Forums at least, some anons here might've been too young to really get into it when it was on. I never hated it but it was years before I got into it and really liked it; guess I thought everything should be like Simpsons then.

we were kids
we didn't enjoy adult animation

>Veteran's Day episode after a Thanksgiving episode

It was too grown up compared to the simpsons, and i was 10.

Family Guy was cancelled while KotH was running. The former is only recently longer running, at 18 more episodes. Time reckons it's in the top 100 greatest shows of all time, and it's in my top 20. So fuck you.

hank knew. hank knew all along.

people also hated it because they thought of Hank as the voice of the writer. as in the writer seriously believed that Hank was right about everything.

Hank - A Texan that prefers propane over charcoal

Bill - The most successful of his friends who turned out to be a failure

Boomhauer - voice of reason, but no one understands him

Dale - Conspiracy theorists, but can't see that his wife is cheating on him

Bobby knows about Joseph's real father.

>Also people sometimes assume it's "redneck/hick" humor, hate the art style for some reason (I don't get this one, honestly), or just feel that as a cartoon it should be wackier or utilize the medium more or something. Not saying everyone who dislikes it feels that way, but this is what I've heard from some people who say they hate it without really having seen it.

Yeah it's weird because it's both pro and anti "redneck" at the same time. I think it shows a fair and accurate, but humorous and funny look at life in Texas and the South.

Like the episode in OP's pic. Hank considers himself a country guy but when they go out rural Montana, the locals consider Hank a city guy because's less rural than them.

So Hank has a weird identity crises of sorts. Which I think is critical of a lot of people in the south who fancy themselves country people, primarily based on their fashion choices, but they live in comfortable, convenient suburbia.

I live in Louisiana, like 10 minutes from the Texas border so I see this shit all the time.

Boy I tell ya I hate Nancy.

I currently live in a semi-rural/semi-suburban part of North Texas and hoo boy, does it feel like Arlen.

BOGGLE?

I was too young to understand it at the time. I thought it was just a cartoon for southern rednecks.

Years later I gave it a shot and really liked it a lot. The first few seasons are a little shitty, drawn poorly, voiced kinda awkwardly. Eventually though it warmed up and really found its stride like 2003 or 2004 iirc.

>DALLAS? SALAD
Somebody post it.

CHINESE

or

J A P A N E S E

>utilize the medium more or something

Not that I don't love KOTH, especially as a piece of animation, but why WAS it animated? I can't recall a time it actually did take advantage of the medium and everything it did could have been done in live action just as well.

The problem is most of you were children or at best adolescents when King of the Hill was at its peak and the humor in King of the Hill is ADULT HUMOR not because it's about sex but because it satirizes stupid adult life and the dumb things that people care about. Kids hate it because they expect it to be "cartoony" then they find it horribly boring because they don't understand the constant subtle but needle sharp irony.

>Durhamrockerzposting
>when Dikekike and Orpheusftw had the better ytps

I have friends who still cringe and gag to this day when I say the name Peggy Hill. One of the strongest characters ever written. I've never met one person who was indifferent to her.

The simple answer is because that's how Mike Judge did things back then but really if it'd been live action it would have been less understated. It being a cartoon makes you ask the question "why is this cartoon so boring?" and then gives you the answer "because it's like real life"

Also the watercolor backgrounds were beautiful for the first couple seasons.

Animated means having more quirky characters and more freedom with scenery. It also means we can have certain characters only appear for a few seconds. Actors may not be willing to fly in just for a few 3 second long scenes.

-Returning Japanese would have been expensive to film
-cars are expensive
-scenes involving animals and insects would either be CGI or

Saved. Dumb people who think they're smart really push a lot of people's buttons and she does it in a way that's believable. We all know someone who acts like her.

As a kid I thought it was boring as fuck and only something a Southerner would enjoy.

Grew up, realized it was actually pretty good.

getting all those guest stars to voice act is cheaper than having them act.

Season 1 had Willie Nelson.

King of the Hill did still have wild stuff happen a whole lot. Like isn't it true that something illegal happened in every single episode of the show? I heard that from somewhere and I'm inclined to believe it.
Animation let the show go for its more out there, big concepts better than live action would. Plus it would have been really weird having it with real people since Bobby's age would have been a much larger issue if he were an actual teenager.

I'm for it, I wanna see more variety in animation and KotH is one of the few that fit the "adult sitcom that isn't just edgy sex jokes and cutaways" category.

I work in tech support, I get a loooooot of Peggy Hills

That's what makes animation so underrated, the creators have complete control of EVERYTHING where in live-action they don't because of obvious factors of actors, scenes, set locations props etc etc.

KotH proofed how much fun you can have once you control it all. Really, I wish people would take a lesson from that and we'd get more cartoons like it.

Completely agreed. It's so much easier to blow up the Mega Lo Mart in animation than in real life, that's something people don't seem to realize.

Don't people remember how unconvincing and awkward it was whenever a live-action sitcom tried stuff far less ambitious?

Hell, DRIVING A CAR was often unconvincing and awkward.

>renting all that construction equipment and actually digging/building stuff on set
>actually maintaining a nice lawn for filming

>actor in sitcom does something outside of house
>obvious green screen

Bullshit. I owe my admiration for animation to shows like Oblongs, Mission Hill and Spawn.

I loved King of the Hill as a kid. It's on my list of top cartoons. And it's a very short list.

Does anyone have the link to that guide for the outsource animators, or the guide itself?

mom sperged out and didnt let me watch because she is catholic and the characters where protestants or some shit
funny i have never been inside a church in my life

fucker

now you dont know who i am but i know were you live

I love King Of The Hill

>Nancy would actually have nice things if Dale didn't waste his money on guns and crazy alien stuff

Too many kid characters.

Bobby ages three years over the course of like 12 years.

None of this is true

What? Literally everyone at my school liked it, even the teachers.

WILD

CAT

B U T T

i don't really like it now, other than YTPs. it seems pretty boring. that said im open to trying it if anyone can recommend me some good episodes

Did he? Then again, I think everyone knows except Joseph himself and Dale (and even then, I think Joseph only pretends he doesn't know since he sees Dale as his real father figure and doesn't want to hurt his feelings).

THE OCEAN

Bobby: You mean Dale?
Joseph: yeah, my dad.

You replying to the wrong post

I personally didn't like it because every time I saw it, the episode was focused on Peggy, and I absolutely fucking hate her. Then when I went back and watched more of it, it was easy to ignore her and enjoy the show.

Hank Hill - an awful customer who is picky about everything, but great at customer service

Peggy - substitute Spanish teacher of the year, but terrible at Spanish

Luanne - most attractive , but horrible grades at beauty school

Dale -

Boomhauer - Texas Ranger, but ????

Bill - great hair dresser, but