Who does fight scenes better, Western animation or Japan?

Who does fight scenes better, Western animation or Japan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n8VPOP7huew
youtube.com/watch?v=X-pr1S89JmU
youtube.com/watch?v=Os3VkJzsCVg
google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=kata sequence
imdb.com/title/tt1569923/fullcredits/
youtube.com/watch?v=HuXJBJWR36Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The west at its best destroys whatever those sliteyed fucks produce.

Agreed. Anime may just be the worst thing ever conceived.

Asian cinema tends to do action scenes better than Hollywood and the same applies to animation. The best examples of animation in the west revolves around character animation anyway, and not action.

whatever category samurai jack falls in.

>TV budget = usually Japan
>Movie budget = usually the West

Not exactly an ironclad rule though.

But that's not Steven Universe or Loud House

Overall anime tends to do much better but when they have the budget and can go far enough the West can blow them away.

Doesn't matter
They're both outsourced to Koreans

>that garbage
God CGI Wars was so shit. And yet I'd take it in a heartbeat over the trash D*sney Wars has proven to be.

But western animators are fucking garbage. I have not seen one good western fight.

Most key animation in anime is still done by the Japanese. It's nothing like outsourcing in modern western cartoons where all aspects of animation are given to an overseas third party.

Nips cause when it comes to fights in cartoons they are less graphic/weightless cause a lot of them are for kids, also static it seems in a way were not much goes on although not all of them are like that anime fights can be too flashy for their own good thou

What have you watched?

Samurai Jack, the supposed magnus opus of western animation fight scenes.
The only remotely interesting fight was with the ninja inside the building, and the whole fight was done entirely in black and white.

Even then that fight is more noteworthy for its visuals than animation. Try the recent Dofus movie instead if you want some western action animation. The French seem to have picked up a thing or two from the Japanese and it shows in their work.

Ever seen Spectacular Spider-Man?

>dofus
>that dynamic camera bullshit
No.
The dofus movie suffers exactly the same problem that a lot of webgen Japanese animators are suffering from and it's absolutely disgusting.

The west because they can do fucking pacing.

It's not hard, Japan. Just learn how to tell a fucking story with SCENES. Christ.

But they do.

>western animators are fucking garbage
>calling the pioneers who could animate like mad men garbage
Not exactly their fault all they had to animate were fairy tales at the time.

Come on now. Both are produced in an animation sweat shop somewhere in south east asia.

Only golden age western animators are worth a shit. Everyone after is decent to shit.

>Western animation or Japan
kek shouldn't it be South Korea or Japan?

>Samurai Jack, the supposed magnus opus of western animation fight scenes.
Samurai Jack was practice for Clone Wars and Symbonic Titan, though S4 and any fight involving Aku trying were usually quite good.

Fights aren't all about choreography. Western animation is actually good at putting story weight and drama behind fights (externalizing inner conflicts), the DCAU being the best example with Supes vs Darkseid, Terry vs Joker, etc.

Supes vs Mongul is fucking great
youtube.com/watch?v=n8VPOP7huew

Japan. It's not even a contest.

You people just love to push this propaganda, don't you? Does someone pay you or do you do it for free?

Anime is overwhelmingly produced in Japan, and what gets outsourced the most is low level tasks like in-between animation. And even that's still commonly done in Japan.

It certainly is.

stay mad nip

by tv are you referring to animation? Japan's live action shows are like 30 years behind the west.

the east, its not even a question. you have to be in complete denial to say otherwise.
not trying to shit on western animation but it just doesn't focus on fight scenes. if a character clashes in western animation they usually take down the villain using some kind of trickery or elaborate plan. for example batman usally doesn't just brute force his way through his oppenents, in most formulaic batman episodes he rushes in against a villain and loses, then researches what the villain was doing and makes a plan to win. in the east they take down the villain in a fight and focus on power levels and fighting techniques.

Both can do terrible and great scenes.

Someone post some Wakfu or Clone Wars webums.

It's not "the East," it's Japan. You are talking about Japan. What the hell is with this recent trend of avoiding naming Japan and using euphemisms for it?

Anyway there are anime where enemies are disposed of through means other than (normal) fighting, and "power levels" are not a universal feature of anime either.

>It's not "the East," it's Japan. You are talking about Japan. What the hell is with this recent trend of avoiding naming Japan and using euphemisms for it?
because south koreans animate good shit too you idiot.

South Korea produces barely any animation of its own.

West has greater hills and valleys when it comes to quality.

Anime tends to be pretty homogenous (just like the east itself), but the west produces everything from Angela Anaconda to EEnE and Samurai Jack

Man, that high drop kick is stylish as all hell

>West has greater hills and valleys when it comes to quality.
It has barely anything that's on par with anime.

>Anime tends to be pretty homogenous (just like the east itself), but the west produces everything from Angela Anaconda to EEnE and Samurai Jack
Western animation has fuckall diversity compared to anime. Do you even know anything about anime besides Pokemon?

>style so homogenous you can identify it as anime or not by looking at characteristics
>literally guides on how to draw anime
vs
>squiggle vision (Ed, Edd n Eddy, Dr. Katz)
>syncho-vox
>puppetry (thunderbirds)
>Claymation (Morel Orel, Nightmare before Christmas, Coraline)
>computer animated (Toy Story, Jimmy Neutron, Star Wars)
>paper cut out style (South Park)
>rotoscoping
>anatomically correct (1985 Thundercats, He-man)
>pseudo realistic (King of the Hill)
>whatever Archer Does
>Clone wars, Samurai Jack, PPG flat style
The fact that an entire animation industry can be summed up as a single style speaks volumes more than I can.

Is this a good fight scene?
youtube.com/watch?v=X-pr1S89JmU

>style so homogenous you can identify it as anime or not by looking at characteristics
But at the same time there is a great deal of visual variety in anime. Although I was not talking about just visual variety.

>The fact that an entire animation industry can be summed up as a single style
But it can't. And again I was not talking about just visuals.

Jesus, the fuck is this? Also I think it's very well done.

>all these people saying Western animation

I'd like to hear your opinions on the best action scenes from Western animation. I'm genuinely curious, because I always thought anime having better fight scenes was consensus.

I mean if anime doesn't do action better, then it doesn't really do anything better than the West right?

It probably does everything better.

HELLO HELLO

German

You didn't even try to be subtle

The East makes good TVs. It just doesn't make good TV shows.

As for fights, youtube.com/watch?v=Os3VkJzsCVg is a good one. The blows feel like they have weight and are hurting the combatants, especially towards the end. They also use lots of clever tricks fighting, and you don't really know what happens in the next exchange of blows.

>The East makes good TVs. It just doesn't make good TV shows.
Anime is superior to Western animation.

any 24 fps fighting scene > any 12 of 8 fps fighting scene

theoretically. i know there's a strong martial arts culture in the east. still i space out every time there's a fighting scene i just can't follow it

Animation quality is not determined by framerate.

And why the fuck are people continuing to call Japan "the East"? WHY can't you just call it Japan when that's what you're talking about?

That isn't 30 episodes of padded exposition and flashbacks.

>everything I know about anime I learned from a handful of daytime shounen action adventure shows
Brilliant.

>strong martial arts culture
>in the east
Does being a sperg affect your reading comprehension?

Is there some special reason why you have to refer to Japan using euphemisms?

you have any drawn wuxia form books to recommend where i can flip the pages at a glorious 1 frame per second?

What are you talking about?

is there some special reason why this is so personal to you? maybe it's similar to how here mostly we talk about american and anglo animation yet call it western
>you
are you frustrated?
if frame rate is so irrelevant to you you can engross yourself in these

google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=kata sequence

hmm seems these are mostly at around 4 fps

Not necessarily.Proper timing and spacing of the drawings are more important than sheer framerate. Also, limited animation lends itself well to the fast motions of fighting. Full animation would only be beneficial for really realistic depictions of methodical and deliberate action, like what Richard Williams did for Prologue.

>is there some special reason why this is so personal to you?
It's irritating because of how arbitrary and irrational it is.

>are you frustrated?
Using the word "you" is a sign of frustration? What the fuck? You also just used it yourself.

>if frame rate is so irrelevant to you you can engross yourself in these
Is common sense a foreign concept to you? I obviously did not mean framerate is completely meaningless.

I rather like the choreography in this, but the animation is somewhat stiff. Its smooth due to having ample inbetweens, but the movements are robotic and the drawings are on-model to a fault.

is this Fate/Night spin-off?

This whole tread is bait mate.

hmm yeah i know nothing about fighting stuff but personally i'd rather watch shitty fighting in 24 fps than what some professional martial artists would watch
reeeee
>Using the word "you" is a sign of frustration?
stressed out from a higly personal topic you start seeing others as the same person. yes you're frustrated

>stressed out from a higly personal topic you start seeing others as the same person. yes you're frustrated
What the fuck are you talking about?

You know Sup Forums never falls for this kind of bait.

But i like anime

what makes this 'bait'?

So you only watch battle shounen?

This always turns to japan vs west threads.

what do you mean 'turns'? east vs west was the topic of the thread right from the beginning

Well yeah but these threads are always bait threads to fight with is better anime or western cartoons

>Anime is superior to Western animation.
Its 'humor' is garbage and the Nips couldn't produce clever writing to save themselves from a third nuke.

8 outta 10 the West suck at fight scenes in general.

I agree with Humour part but there is some clever writing in manga atleast.

Well, humor is entirely subjective both on a personal and even cultural level. Japan produces material for Japan and then exports it to other countries because they seem to like it anyway. But they always keep in mind the Japanese public over the Western anytime they produce any kind of entertainment.

But Japanese animation is indeed superior to western animation.

imdb.com/title/tt1569923/fullcredits/

there is not a single western animator on this fucking movie

But Best Korea paves the way!

youtube.com/watch?v=HuXJBJWR36Y

Felidae is a violent cat Noir, but now you've been spoiled by the ending, a shame. If you watch it all, it has cat's fucking.

Wakfu/Dofus. The world they built has frankly always been better then the games for it.

Watched tons of anime.

Watched a handful of cartoons.

The west is way better. Action in anime most of the time are blurry lines clashing or two characters flying around with no sense of weight or choreography.

Meanwhile, Spectacular Spiderman, TMNT 2012, Symbionic Titan, Samurai Jack, Kim Possible, and many others have impressed me with the combat they have. TMNT 2012 especially is a joy to watch the fights, even with the plot being a bit of a clusterfuck.

But that is probably because japan doesnt try to be realistic 99% time

TMNT is about a bunch of fucking anthropomorphic turtles becoming ninjas and fighting robot aliens from outer space.

You don't need to be realistic to have decent combat.

>there is some clever writing in manga
>manga
>well written
Choose one. Only one. Also, that good writing in anime would only emerge in 1:1 adaptations of manga should tell you something about the medium.

>Well, humor is entirely subjective
Making a funny face or crossdressing then having someone else comment on how funny that is is not humor, it's a fucking abomination.

>Japan produces material for Japan
Then their entire country has shit taste when it comes to animated humor.

>But Japanese animation is indeed superior to western animation.
No it isn't. Both are overwhelmingly trash with some gems sprinkled in. At a technical level the West wins because of Golden Age theatrical shorts.

Dammit i can't take this show seriously with all those ugly as sin designs

Japan of course, but retards on Sup Forums who only watched DBZ will never accept this truth.

Shows like Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist have better fight scenes than any western show.