I just got back from seeing this

I just got back from seeing this,

It was better than I thought it would be.

The music was pretty good, and I actually chuckled a few times.

What did Sup Forums think of the movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dQzAi-a9Bv8
sacred-texts.com/pac/maui/maui07.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=S6DOxuucAEk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsA4o_tEiwk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

crab was shit villain

Dead on Arrival

I agree,

His song was very Elton John,

I think he might have been a homosex

I liked the music but the CGI and comedy were awful.

They had a good setting/premise but decided to go for realistic water (who cares? if i want realistic water i'll turn on my tap) over a timeless look and then topped it all off with a comedy chicken.

The beginning reminds me of how Kingdom of the Sun could've been really special but we got the forgettable Emperor's New Groove instead.

>Maui comes back out of fucking nowhere to save Moana
Hat threw me off so hard but other than that i really enjoyed it

I only liked Shiny and You're Welcome before I saw it but that song they sung when Moana was having a vision of the past was breddy gud too

Yeah, the chicken was pretty shit, but was needed for some plot points I guess, I still think it could have done better without it.

The movie reminded me a lot of WindWaker.

Isn't the song from the vision of the past the same song that's played like 3 or 4 other times in the movie?

Great

chiken was funny tho

youtube.com/watch?v=dQzAi-a9Bv8

I-I liked him.

The age of fantastic Disney is over. This is more of the age of alright Disney.

Moana a cute. Hope goodsmile does a figma of her like they did with Elsa.

who would win in a fight between Maui and Hercules

I thought it was more Rocky Horror type song. Aka transvestite man.

Maui couldn't beat a lava monster. Hec would take him.

haven't seen the movie but how can Maui lasso the sun and still not be beyond Hercules' league

Sun's not that big. Apollo's got it hooked to his chariot. Hold up a quarter and you'll see it's almost the same size.

Who's Hec?

holy shit you're right

What would you call good CGI then?

Herc has held the Heavens on his back.

Does Maui have his hook? Does Herc have Pegasus?

That lava monster was an actual goddess though.

>forgettable Emperor's New Groove

LIGHTLY SALTED

>The forgettable Emperor's New Groove instead.

It was David Bowie, faggots.

Am I the only one that though about Windwaker the whole time?

Disney's Herc didn't

I think everyone can unanimously agree that whatever your opinion was on the characters and plot, the movie was absolutely gorgeous.

Maui pulled up the sky, stole fire from the underworld, and pulled islands from the sea. It would be close.

Don't forget the lava monster that he couldn't beat was the corrupted goddess of life that he stole from, and had the power to recreate his hook.

Maui pushed the sky up , harnessed the wind, created islands through brute strength and created coconut trees.

Herc aint got shit on him.

Film felt empty. Like, it felt quiet & eerie. It wasn't really grand as Disney wanted to make it out to be (not that that's a problem).

I know Sup Forums isn't a hivemind but didn't most people here love him?

Yeah, I was really liking the movie up until the ending. When they decided they had to shove the typical "duo has an argument and go separate ways, only to have some realization/learn some lesson and get back together to save the day" in the last 15 minutes. The pacing was so good up until then too. I still enjoyed the movie as a whole, but like you said, it threw me off.

Lok man, he didn't just break one of the sun's legs but all of them. The hawaiian sun had like a thousand legs, and the fucker would zip right by making day last only like a minute.

Maui's adopted mom kept bitching about how she couldn't get anything done and Maui was like "don't worry ma! I got you!" So he climbed up to the highest mountain and lassosed one of the sun's legs and broke it off. But that still didn't slow the fucker down. So he did this every single day and even beat the shit out of the sun for justice. Finally the sun decided "Fuck that shit!" and now he crawls across the sky even higher, thus making day longer. Like he literally beat the shit out of a sun god, broke all his legs and now the fucking god avoids him.

Maui is metal as fuck

Are you making this up?

In the movie it only says he lasso'd the sun to make the day last longer, are you pulling this fluff out of your ass?

No. That is the hawaiian myth (although there are variations to it based on fiji, New Zealand, tonga, samoa, and various places in hawaii) that the movie is based off of you uncultured swine. Source: A Hawaiian Grandma, also try this as yet another variation on the myth sacred-texts.com/pac/maui/maui07.htm

Spoiler, the movie was based on actual folklore and legend. It got the Disney treatment to make it more palatable, but yea, Maui did a lot of crazy feats. Also, did you not pay attention to the "You're Welcome" song?

I liked the chicken. Or at least, peoples reaction to seeing just how stupid it was.

It doesn't count for the Disney version of the character,

Polynesia does not really have one unified myth about Maui, each culture made up their own stories.

The chicken was better than pretty much any other comedy sidekick in a children's film in that it did not talk. No annoying voice, no shitty puns or humor. Physical comedy only, which is far from the worst you can get.

Agreed, I would have rather they brought the pig along instead though.

Pascal didn't talk and wasn't a clinical retard.

>he wishes he could be that shiny

I was so relieved when they didn't bring merchandising bait the pig along for the journey so he could shit up the movie by being totes adorbs. I far preferred the chicken's retardation.

WELL TAMATOA HASN'T ALWAYS BEEN THIS GLAM

I was a drab little crab once,

Which is why pascal is a shittier animal sidekick. He was the typical smarmy dreamworks fuck, riding along, being absolutely useless while making smart-ass nonverbal comments at everything. And unlike Heihei, nobody called him out on his shit. Throughout tangled I wanted to grab Pascal and chuck him through a window. Throughout Moana the characters in the story spat on Heihei for me.

So I'm going to see a matinee of this tomorrow, and I can't get high beforehand because my Company's christmas party is at 5:00 the same day. Any ideas on how not to look like a creep watching a children's movie in the early afternoon stone sober?

I guess being a retard yourself the chicken's humor was geared for your intelligence level. The rest of us knew it was shit. Even my 6 year old niece didn't laugh at it.

Go later? I went to a late night showing and the audience was 100% college students. Usually, if you go see a movie that starts at 10pm or later, there aren't going to be that many 8 year olds in the theater- it's past their bedtime.

Alternatively just stride in and don't give a fuck, because nobody really cares.

You shouldn't care about this.

Lava monster?
Sounds ----hot---

Doesn't it just seem like Disney is trying too hard to be anti-racist? They need a princess from every race and culture?

Have you even watched Disney movies? theres tons of colored girls and tons of white girls.

Didn't mind it too much, I mean Mulan did exist before and at least it wasn't a traditional princess in gown goes through the wilderness to find the macguffin or whatever.

Pig was annoying I thought.
I was personally glad for just the chicken

Why not? They're branching out to other cultural backgrounds to draw new stories from. would you prefer it if they just kept rehashing the same stories you've seen done a million times before just because the protagonists are white and it makes you feel safer?

I liked it

It doesn't really matter to me where the story is from as long as it's good.

My point is anti-racism is racism. True non-racism is teaching kids "It doesn't matter what color they are." Not "We have one of every color in equal amounts and one we made just for you that's the same as you."

Anti-racism just shows that your mind is racist in that you care too much about race.

I don't think this is an example of that.

They've just kind of exhausted more western fairy tales and folk stories to draw on so they're exploring ones from different cultures. That includes non-white cultures.

I haven't watched a Disney movie in theaters since the release of Mulan back when I was a kid. I went in expecting a movie aimed mostly at children.

With that being said, I found the story to be extremely predictable.
>Protag 1 excited for her journey
>Needs Protag 2 to complete journey
>Protag 2 turns out to be a dick
>They have to deal with each other and eventually become friends
>Protag's meet final boss and get stomped
>Protag 2 leaves out of anger, protag 1 gives up
>Protag 1 finds renewed vigor and goes on to fight boss again
>At last second protag 2 jumps in to save her
>Turns out the boss was the good guy all along
I feel like I'd seen this a million times

I also never really felt a sense of urgency that the world was ending. We see some dead coconuts and twigs and that's it. I was hoping that along the way to the main boss we would see some dead islands being turned to ash or something.

The only song I really liked was the one about the ancestors being voyagers. Crab song was definitely the worst. Others were alright but forgettable.

All in all it was alright. I'll probably never watch it again.

The friend I was watching it with mentioned it when they reached the tall ass mountain.

I feel this user is leaning dangerously into SJW territory, I agree with what he says, about them trying to branch out into other cultures for new stories, but it has NOTHING to do with white vs non-white.
His claim could be compared to saying they only made Hercules to reach out to Romans.

Anti-Racism is Racism, This movie isn't anti-racism, the user you responded to is, to the extreme that makes them racist.

I agree they could have pressed the sense of urgency a lot more, shown the island deteriorating worse and worse. They never really cut back to the main Island, once or twice, but not nearly enough.
They didn't even show them noticing she was gone and them freaking out about all of that,
There could have been a great scene after she left, about realizing she is gone, mixing with how bad the problem is getting.

And yes, the movie followed a series of tropes, but the combination of which I feel is unique. I was predictable, but I think it was still pretty good.

Herc beat titans and a god.

>hi dear i know your mother just passed away and we're running our of food to support our tribe with but i also let our only daughter sail out into the great unknown against your very explicit wishes

the more i hear about the tangled, the more i think it was a ripoff of dreamworks movies with princess thrown in.

zootopia felt same (minus princess of course)

Nope, just embrace it and jack off to children inside the theatre

>Pig
>annoying

Nigga he barely did anything.

Chicken did jack shit save for the last crossing through.

it's funny because ocean could so exact same thing.

remember when it threw the rock back at Maui?

DISNEY STOLE FROM RIO

youtube.com/watch?v=S6DOxuucAEk

wtf, i love Nigel Farage now

Yes, a scene that takes place like, 30 seconds after this conversation happens.

I'm 28 and saw it today by myself.

Just sit at least 1 seat away from anybody else and you'll be fine.

Or if you HAVE to sit next to someone, which I highly doubt since the movie isn't selling out theaters atm, just make sure NOT to sit next to a little girl

I've never seen Rio, but from your video it seems the exact opposite,

The crab used to not be a pretty crab, and now it has it all.
This bird used to have it all, and now it doesn't have nothing.

plus this bird raps.

The crab doesn't rap.

literally the only similarity is that it's the same VA playing a egomaniac

AS THE ANCIENT HAWAIIANS USED TO SAY

It was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too formulaic. It felt like I already watched it.
>Princess is secluded, wants to go outside, traditional parent figure says no, a problem occurs, now she's the only one who can go and stop it.

Also the ending was kinda crappy. It turns out that Moana had to give the "villian" what she wanted to beat her

OOGA BOOGA!

SPAM LUNCHEON MEAT IS HAWAII'S OFFICIAL COMFORT FOOD

disney figured out the formula that will make them money, regardless of the movie quality.

-male is forced to help female
-male is insecure, female must find truth about herself
-male and female separate and reunite because reasons
-they both end up in unfamiliar territory

really formulatic disney stuff:
-songs sang by characters
-useless animal sidekicks made only to sell toys.

it's all same shit!

besides, did you saw how they made the backgrounds? just few strokes on the tablet and voila, DEPTH! they weren't even fucking trying!

YOU'RE WELCOME

I got a Tim Curry as hexxus vibe off crab's song actually.

I felt that the crab's scene was well put together, in that the singing didn't hold up the storyline. They broke up the song into parts. Between those parts the story moved forward. The scene didn't stop so the villain could sing for 3 minutes and then leave for the heros to break out on their own.

The entire movie felt like that to me. They put it together in a weird way. Yet the movie was well paced overall and it worked.

There where some very impressive technical moments. The direction of the character animation was very well done (the Polynesian dancing). That sandy Moana moment was really cool from a tech perspective.

Honestly Shiny is not that good but it's fucking catchy as hell.

>Maui with his hook
>Herc with his Kingdom Hearts powerset
Who would win?

Thats a pretty big similarity

Same VA playing a similar character doing a sing song

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsA4o_tEiwk

>le overprotective father who needs to let his headstrong child do what thry want

Literally every animated movie ever

i wonder when they will show supportive parents

But he was way more justified than most instances of that trope, and, if it weren't for the food sources dying, there really wouldn't have been a reason to let Moana run off willy-nilly. I really liked how they characterized him, actually.

Well, her mom was supportive. And Elsa and Anna's parents WERE supportive of Elsa, they just went about it the wrong way and made her anxiety worse.

>user tries to be tough
>his armor isn't hard enough

kek

>I got a Tim Curry as hexxus vibe off crab's song actually.

Someone said that Jermaine sounds like the child of Bowie and Curry and honestly that's the perfect description.

And I'm sure that if Tamatoa had been human, people would be shipping him and Maui.

We'll have weird humanized tumblr Tamatoa within weeks. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.

Some user did one in another thread and man, that design was hot as fuck. 10/10 would be fish dinner for.

>created coconut trees
the gamechanger

Did Tamatoa have barnacles on his teeth, or was that more treasure?

although treasure seems like the obvious answer, my personal guess is barnacles because gold would cause way too much glitter on his mouth