Sonic Comics

Redpill me on Sonic Comics
What went wrong?
What went right?
What parts to avoid?
Which writers/artists were shit and which were god tier?

>boring 6-year-old japanese trope with no redeeming features
>rabbit
>guess i have to want to fuck her or else im a faggot
thats you. thats what you sound like.

>What went wrong?
>not Vanilla

I think it was fine, right up until the lawsuit.

This is the logical conclusion of the character.
I'm assuming she ate the blue pet thing.

>What went wrong?

Ken Penders. A former writer who helped ushered in the Dark Ages, a time in the comic where it was plagued by horrible art and stories that were boring, melodramatic, and/or nonsensical. He's most well known for introducing the bazillion of echidna OCs that hijacked the comic after his Knuckles solo was cancelled. He eventually left the comic a decade ago to work on his own original projects. But those went nowhere so he tried to benefit from the only successful thing in his life: Sonic. He wanted to sue Bioware for copyright infringement because the Nocturnus in Sonic: Dark Brotherhood game were similar to his Dark Legion. So he tried to file a copyright the characters from the comic, forcing Archie to sue him. Unfortunately since his original contract was lost long ago they had to settle. Penders got his characters and the comic was forced to reboot since a lot of the comics' lore was heavily founded on Penders' creations. Additionally any character that wasn't made by Ian or was originally from the cartoons and games were cut as well to avoid any other past writers claiming copyright. Recently though another writer Scott Fulop filed a lawsuit over reprints for his character Mammoth Mogul. Sega was just brought in as a defendant so it might not be a pretty result.

>What went right?

A combination of editor Mike Pellerito, head writer Ian Flynn, and Sega giving a fuck for once. Mike started to push more fan favorite characters like Shadow to push sales and brought Ian on to the comic. Penders left at this time because he didn't want to put away his echidna dolls and thought they would crawl back to him. They didn't. Ian started cleaning up the the mess of OCs and dangling plot threads that his predecessors left behind and started to actually do fun shit with the characters. And they actually started to get competent artists like Tracy Yardley.

Sega now pays more attention to the comic and much stricter with what they can get away with, one of things axed is romance with the game characters. Rather or not this is a good or bad thing is up to you.

>What parts to avoid?

It depends on your preference. Do you want to only see what is generally agreed to be the good parts? Then read 1-40 then skip to 160. Do you only care about what is canon? Then start with the Worlds Collide crossover then into 252 where the reboot starts. Or you can just read everything and experience the rollercoaster this comic is.

>What went wrong?
SEGA didn't care about what was going on in the comics for a long time. This let a lot of bad writers and shitty editors go unchecked resulting in some really awful content from hilariously bad to ungodly boring. Archie's standards in general on the management, writing, and art side were bad.

Archie and Ken Penders had a lawsuit which forced them to reboot and lose an extremely large amount of characters and lore (not just from him, but other writers' stuff too). As such, the book was forced into a last second reboot.

The entire last year and a half (and still ongoing) has been really bad:

>Worlds Unite ended up being forced, stopping the current status quo/arc for 3 months and killing momentum.

>Ian Flynn decided that fans weren't digging said status quo/arc and chose to accelerate through it to reach the end much quicker, resulting in repetitive and less entertaining stories, as well as not very entertaining world building. The fans ended up arguably more unhappy, just wishing for it to end already.

>A a change in how many pages the main story and backup would receive (I think 10 pages each) resulted in the main story feeling even more rushed with less pages than before.

>An unexpected 3 month hiatus happened, no reason given for it.

>After the hiatus, the direct market sales have fallen dramatically to worst they've been.

>Scott Fulop is currently suing Archie and SEGA

>What went right?
SEGA started paying more attention to the comic, enforcing mandates that ultimately helped put the comic back on track.

The hiring of Mike Pellerito and Ian Flynn, along with a competent art team began fixing and saving the comic with Flynn and the art team starting at 160.

Flynn had an ability to take a lot of the bad stuff introduced earlier by other writers and turning it to gold.

Sonic Universe becoming a secondary book. It has stayed consistent in quality since it began.

>What parts to avoid?
Follow 's advice.

Isn't she supposed to be 6?

It's an edit from a thread yesterday.

They grow up eventually

Wasn't there for it. Obviously the text is edited, but was it originally a different character?

A different character. I don't remember who of, but it was some other rabbit.

Carrotia the Rabbit.

It's older than that.

It's a long running comic books series. The same things that go wrong and write are the same things that always happen. Some writers where good others not so much. The current guy's pretty ace.

Also Team Dark are the best characters

Where can i actually read the latest issues of the comics? I use to read them on sonicscanf but since they've decided to dick butt into Archie and stop publishing them (obviously C&D order) i haven't got any other sites to read them from. In australia and comics here are usually marked up a few dollars.

>What went wrong?

Ken Penders pushing shit OCs & furry drama. Even Penders leaving, & Ian Flynn coming in couldn't save the comic.

>What went right?

SEGA stepping in & stopping a lot of the bullshit, & Penders suing SEGA & Archie, which lead to the reboot, & a lot of the baggage being dropped. There's still been a lot of fuckery (as explained in ), but overall, it's still been an improvement over the preboot, imo.

>What parts to avoid?

The preboot had some good parts, but honestly, I think it's best to just skip to the reboot (issue 252 in the main comics, & 55 in Universe).

readcomiconline.com has them all.

>readcomiconline.com
Oh god he doesn't know

Oh shit that's right, the site is down.

I'm gonna marry Madonna!

Different user but is it down for good or is something else going on?

I dunno.