November comic book sales

Why did DC drop like a brick?

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2016/12/09/marvel-dominates-dc-comics-november-2016-marketshare-normal-service-resumed/
comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-november-2011/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dollar share =/= sales.

Marvel sold a lot of copies to bulk purchasesers like Lootcrate and Scholastic.

Not in November.

>Dollar share =/= sales.

Actually, dollar share is more important than unit share because double shipping and bi-weekly comics exist.

>Why did DC drop like a brick?
They didn't. This is more or less exactly what anyone with any common sense said would happen once the shine had worn off of the Rebirth R̶e̶b̶o̶o̶t̶ Relaunch. They also got a nice boost when Nu52 hit and again when they did the Villain's Month stunt with the rectilinear covers.

>This is more or less exactly what anyone with any common sense said

So, you're saying that DC fans on Sup Forums lack common sense

>you're saying that DC fans on Sup Forums lack common sense
No, just the hyper partisan fanbois that acted like Rebirth was the Second Coming and a few months of DC being on top of the charts was an indication of a sea change.

We have a small but very vocal group of fuckwits around here who seem to think that you can only read comics from a single company and treat corporate sales of said company as if it were a sporting event that they'd bet money on.

might as well be just one person.

well, him and spoiler.

Sup Forums needs to accept that it's almost 2017, and no one wants racism and objectification in their comic books. Times have changed, comics are not just for straight white men anymore. Real comic fans have made it clear: they want comics that emphasize diversity, feminism, and the fight for social justice. Deal with it, or get out of the hobby.

BUT MUH REBIRTH

THEY SAVED COMICS

I don't know how anyone could think Rebirth selling 500k copies meant there were suddenly ~400k extra readers

>Real comic fans have made it clear: they want comics that emphasize diversity, feminism, and the fight for social justice.
Also: hawt green on pink action and high levels of lesbian subtext!

>hawt green on pink action
Nothing happened

>Real comic fans have made it clear
Actually given that this past months actual top ten looks like this:
TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS
> 1. BATMAN #10 (DC)
> 2. BATMAN #11 (DC)
> 3. CIVIL WAR II #7 (MAR)
> 4. ALL STAR BATMAN #4 (DC)
> 5. INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 (MAR)
> 6. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1 (MAR)
> 7. BATMAN ANNUAL #1 (DC)
> 8. VENOM #1 (MAR)
> 9. THE WALKING DEAD #160 (MR) (IMA)
> 10. IVX #0 (MAR)

I'd say what *actual* comic book buyers want seems to be moar big events; 001's; and comics about Batman ... because *that's* what the horsebrained little shits are buying these days.

>real comic fans

Stupid nigger

Did Chulk buttfuck her right in the robopussy?

No. Being Amadeus Cho is suffering, every monster girl breaks his heart ;_;

>Marvel winning
fuck me I do (historically) like Marvel comics slightly better and the MCU thousands of times better, but i want marvel comics to fucking fail with all the soulless uncreative SJW garbage they've been shitting out recently

so that they can go back to focusing on stories and beloved characters instead of gimmick shit

>Nothing happened

I know, buddy. I know.

They certainly saved themselves from the quality slump they'd been in.

I don't think anyone was saying DC was changing the industry though.

You forgot to mention Champions, the absolute best seller of the month

Every month, a new excuse. How long can "DC fans" (read: Sup Forums posters) keep up the narrative? Let's find out!

>women are funny, get over it
still waiting on those BIGOTS at marvel to make a super-heroine whose superpower is body acceptance

But Sup Forums posters are overwhelming sided with marvel.

>Did Chulk buttfuck her right in the robopussy?
Not *yet*.

Odds are she'll tease Kamala as well before hooking up with either Machine Man or Doombot.

So many salty white male tears lol
You can't stop social progress, accept it or get out. Racist straight white men like you are not the target audience anymore

>the people who gave us "DC Films are pure kino!" are Marvel fans

a confusing new narrative, now claiming they were Marvel fans all along! Oh Sup Forums, what shitposting tactic will you think up next?

>so that they can go back to focusing on stories and beloved characters instead of gimmick shit
So, what you're *really* saying is: "I want Marble to suffer some DCYou tier sales so they'll go back to Meat And Potatoes via a Rebirth style Actual Reboot (undoing shit like OMD and Schism and sending the O5 back to the fucking 60's where they belong)!"

Or, possibly, I could be projecting. Slightly.

You are literally doing the laziest job at falseflagging ever. Please go back to Sup Forums and learn how to do it right, and don't come back until you have some quality bait for us.

racist has nothing smart to say, surprise

You do realize the kino thing is a joke?

Kino is a meme you dip.

Marvel puts out over 60 books per month.

DC does less than 50.

THAT'S the difference.

On a per issue sales basis, they sell around similar levels.

>a super-heroine whose superpower is body acceptance
GOOD NEWS, user!

And Snyderfags bought into it.

Ah yes, months and months spent trashing Age of Ultron, building up Zach Snyder and Batman v. Superman before it hit theaters, these were all just jokes and not the product of massive contrarian faggots that were so wrapped up in the Marvel=SJWs narrative they built for themselves they were gagging on their own dicks.

>Captain America is black
>Spider-man is a black teenager
>Thor is a woman
>Hulk is chinese
>Wolverine is a woman
>Iron-man is a black woman

Times are changing.

Age of Ultron was legitimately bad.

So was BVS but there was hope in the months leading up to it.

So should we just praise all marvel movies regardless of quality and shit on everything DCEU related before it even comes out?

People like RiRi it seems

COMICS SHIPPED:
MARVEL: 88
DC: 84

bleedingcool.com/2016/12/09/marvel-dominates-dc-comics-november-2016-marketshare-normal-service-resumed/

So dc keks just lie out of their butt? Unbelieavable.

>Captain Marvel kissed a nigga
>Thor kissed a nigga
>Spider-Gwen kissed a nigga
>Gwenpool wanted to kiss a nigga

Whiteboys get btfo

>Times are changing.
They've been at this for a while now.

It's just for this month. #2s usually drop hard. Last iron man fell by 50% in the second issue.

FUCKING

EXPOSED

It'd seem but we'll have to wait til' next month to actually find out.
Otherwise an overhyped number 1 means very little.

>People like RiRi it seems
People buy #1 issues, more like.

You need to check back around issue 5 or 6 to see how steep the inevitable dropoff is.

I know I personally picked up Venom #1 and won't be back for #2.

I'm also dropping King's Batman after this arc unless he pulls something God Tier out of his ass in the 11th inning (and I'm far from the only one who's unhappy there either); but I stuck around this long because I liked SoB, OM, and Vision. Also, because: Batman.

This. The same thing happens to both of the Big Two everytime they put out a bunch of #1s. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but Sup Forums just loves to start company wars.

>Sup Forums just loves to start company wars
I don't remember it being this autistic during Nu52, though.

That might just be me having a shit memory but this "post the sales every week and jump around like monkeys" faggotry seems to have peaked around the same time as the "BvS = Kino" nonsense.

>Power Girl kissed a nigga
>Supergirl kissed a nigga
>Superwoman kissed a nigga
>Batgirl kissed a nigga
>Gotham Girl kissed a nigga
It's not just Marvel, you DCuck

You are correct, posting sales every week is something that's only happened in the last year or two here at Sup Forums, it's very reminiscent of Sup Forums's Sales Figures threads that happen every tuesday.

>Superwoman and Gotham Girl
really reaching, I see.

It wasn't.

The big company wars started with Man Of Steel

the Diamond formula is fundamentally flawed.

Actually the whole industry is failing hard. 2016's November with a week more than last year sold 4% less than 2015. The SJWs are pushing the industry to its doom.

>actually reading DC comics, I see.
Current Superwoman (Lang) is in a relationship with Steel. Gotham Girl flashforward says she and Not-Robin get hitched eventually.

Babsgirl hooked up with Batwing before she went to Japan and had a brief bout of Yellow Fever (and learned how to turn her Edict Memory off like a switch); although she's apparently all better now.

Current Huntress is black.

Explain.

Hilarious that they're all batbooks

>free comics count as sales

oh no fan favorite character Gotham Girl and Lana Lang, whatever will fans do

still reaching, fuckwit

>Explain
Odds are he's just butthurt that this months numbers don't add up in a way that pushes his favored narrative; but there actually ARE serious flaws:

First Diamond is a warehouse that ships wholesale product and that means that you're seeing the sales from the publishers to the LCS and NOT the actual sales (Rebirth titles were returnable up to like #6 for example).

Second you occasionally get laughably skewed results due to Lootcrate and the like.

Third there's no accounting for *other* sales avenues like Scholastic Bookfare, Amazon, BnN, or digital.

And fourth: Marvel has been known to overship (send retailers more issues than they ordered for free) and those numbers still get counted.

comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-november-2011/

>they're all batbooks
Superwoman is a bat-book?

the only thing I'm butthurt about is shite like CW2 and IvX selling that well, thank you very much

Otherwise I try to be fair and balanced amidst company wars stupidity

How many books does Batman has in Rebirth?

You mean only Batman or anyone who related to him too?

The later.

what keywords should I be filtering to avoid cancerous company wars, pls respond

12 books

Batman
All-Star Batman
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Batgirl
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Batwoman
Batman Beyond
Gotham Academy
Mother Panic
Harley Quinin

>Temporary boost from shitty Rebirth has died off
Good, they deserve it for pandering to 40 year old nostalgiafag neckbeards.

>How many books does Batman has in Rebirth?
Actual Batman books?
Batman and All-Star Batman

He's also in Justice League and Trinity and there are a whole slew of Batfamily books like Batgirl, Nightwing, 'Tec.

You are just making assumptions.

Point exactly where it is stated that free comics count as sales.

Also explain why your claim does not reflect in the dollar share.

>it's another company wars episode
Why can't we just hate everything equally?

>mansplaining
Does any comic writer who uses this word know what it actually means?

>mansplain you out of doing
That's not even how you use it

ffs, if you want to speak tumblr lingo, at least do it right

Plus Justice League, JLA and Trinity.

Teen Titans, Titans, Super Sons, New Super-Man and Suicide Squad have bat characters too.

Yeah unlike Marvel superpopular powerhouses such as Gwenpool

>20 books
Man, Batman is pretty much the center of DCU.

You just figured that out? DC has been Batman And Friends Comics for a long time

that's with Marvel's #1s and giving thousands and thousands of #2s away free because no one is buying them

>Plus Justice League, JLA and Trinity
He's also been in recent issues of Deathstroke and Superman (setting up the upcoming Super Sons in the latter).

And while it's not a part of Rebirth isn't Dark Knight III still ongoing?

There's also Mother Panic which is a Gotham book and had him in the first issue.

Though to be fair, she also literally said "Fuck the Bat"

>Does any comic writer who uses this word know what it actually means?
Doubtful. Much like people seem to think "cuck" is a generic insult.

Because Marvel is giving away 90% of their comics to inflate their figures.

Remember, most comic book stores have reported that they aren't even ordering most Marlel books.

>4 marlel #1s and an event

holy lel

>Marvel is giving away 90% of their comics
That's a graphic of DOLLAR AMOUNT, you mongoloid!

Or do you think that Micky can skunk The WB with 10% of shipped units actually accounting for 38.08% of the sales compared to DC's 26.17% from 100% of their own units?

Didn't Marvel start giving away failed issues for free if you purchase new titles?
>Civil War 2 selling
>IvX selling
As much as people on Sup Forums about it, it doesn't seem like it's doing that badly. These are the fucking problem with Marvel and people keep buying this garbage. What the fuck!?

Why won't comic books companies release their actual sale figures?
I want my shitposting to be accurate

>That's a graphic of DOLLAR AMOUNT, you mongoloid!

And the DOLLAR AMOUNT is still based on the value of comics shipped, not the books sold to customers. They're giving away books so they can say they moved more comics than they did.

Plus Marvel books also cost 2 dollars more than DC books, because Marvel is run by greedy crooks.

You are a fucking idiot.

>Inb4 I was only pretending to be retarded!

medium lel

Move those goalposts!

Turns out that despite constant insults Batman fans are the only ones that actually buy comics meanwhile all the others are the actual casuals that don't read

That's what guys who run comic shops have said. Marvel basically ships free comics to boost its "sales" numbers or makes variants with absurdly high requirements (I think the state variants for USAvengers is something like 1:1000). The shops have to eat the cost since they still pay shipping on the comics and/or now have large stocks of shit that's going to go unsold.

Because Diamond's reporting only counts orders, and works out the dollar value of those orders by cover price (not the price the retailer paid).

For Rebirth, DC chose to move from a final-sale order model, where retailers order their copies and pay most of the cover price direct to Diamond (who pass most to DC), to a sale-or-return model. Sale or return is how most magazines are sold; it's also how comics were sold up until the late 1980s.

For it to work effectively you need high-volume sales and retailers who are willing to push your product or have such high-traffic stores that you'll sell a large portion of your copies regardless. Comic book stores aren't like that, so it didn't work; but they still had the incentive to order high because DC was still offering variant covers, which can be sold at a higher than cover price, but without the usual piles of unsold copies necessary to obtain these. In short, DC fucked itself by offering prizes to retailers who could take advantage of them the hardest.

Almost immediately, Rebirth titles started shifting from sale-or-return back to direct only, and retailers decided they didn't want to play any more, especially as cover prices that had been temporarily dropped for Rebirth started going back up too.

It's important to note that at no time did DC actually reach a bigger audience, or its sales would have been consistently higher despite the order system changes - it ultimately doesn't matter to an LCS if customers want a direct book enough to order it instead of just dropping by looking for a copy. But DC's sales figures have collapsed back to where they've been for a couple of years now because DC doesn't have a large audience any more. In a few years, they'll probably pull out of comic book publishing altogether, or at least scale back their operation to legacy reprint trades and perhaps - perhaps - a few ongoings of extremely popular titles.

t. Marvel shill

The only reason Marvel is doing "well" here is because Marvel gave out most of those copies for free meaning if anyone is going under and fucked themselves over it's Marvel. If it wasn't for that and their #1 scam and Star Wars, DC would be dominating.

>Sale or return is how most magazines are sold; it's also how comics were sold up until the late 1980s.

Comics were (and are) still sold like that, just not at comic shops. Barnes and Nobles still returns unsold periodical comics. Books a Million uses Diamond sometimes so things might be different there.

>Almost immediately, Rebirth titles started shifting from sale-or-return back to direct only,

They outright said the first six issues (the $2.99 ones) and the first three issues (the $3.99 ones) were returnable at the start. There was no "immediate" shifting. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Dream on mousenigger.

I'm sure marvel will keep doing well by giving away 90% of their titles, right?

Oh, it's that guy again.

problem with that, they kicked all the real writers out

I genuinely like the DCEU and have been reading comics since I could read. I own original issues of Green Lantern/Green Arrow, original prestige copies of The Dark Knight Returns and Uncle Sam, all 4 first run 52 trades with the commentaries from the writers, most trades of Astro City, all of Top Ten, first three volumes of Saga of the Swamp Thing, about the first 20ish issues of Sandman in floppy, original floppies of The Brat Pack, both trades of All Star Superman, Secret Identity, and I could keep going and going all day.

So what does that make me? How do I fit into your stupidly simplistic us v them narratives.