Vampirella 2017 reboot & redesign

When I first saw the cover art (pic on the left), I loved the new costume. It looks both extravagant and sexy, kind of reminded me of Bayonetta which is a good thing.

...and then I saw the official art preview (on the right). Wtf?

I mean, I'm okay if they don't want to go back to the Trina Robbins swimsuit. But give her something flashy and seductive, make her look cool and unique. She's a sexy alien vampire after all, not a random mundane scene girl!

But then again, seeing as the writer said:
>I’m hoping especially to find a female audience.
maybe I'm not even the target audience for this...

What an unusally cool cover for Dynamite.

No one cares about this bitch

wow rude

This.

It looks like Bayonetta, but they gave you Wonder Woman in a dress.

>that face
Looks like she'a going to be "quirky."

She's hipsterella now. She's unreadable now. At least the cat is kinda cute

>yet another try to HIP IT UP after whatever hispter chicks run from last year came down crash and burning.

absolute LEL.

the cat needs a spin-off

>let's give Vampirella a bland puritan redesign in a desperate attempt to appeal to an elusive "female audience"
Didn't they do exactly that just about a year ago, and failed miserably? Do they somehow expect a different outcome?

Wow you mean to tell me Kate Leth's feminist re-imaging didn't sell and they had to reboot it again? I'm shocked.

>read a continuity synopsis
Shit makes Marvel and DC look competent.

yep, see

But bland puritan vampires are the best kind.

They're basically the Catholic girls of vampires.

No that was her grrl pwr look.

Right looks like a shitty casual cosplay version of left

It lacks the dynamism of the cover. Maybe it will look better in action. There's an obvious witch vibe going on.

Yeah, because the cover version has all these batwings/feathers, which makes it look like something Lady Gaga could wear, while on the art promo it's just a potato sack dress.

it's been there MO since they've gotten the Vampirella license, here what she looked like during the 2010 series. in volume 2 they simply stuffed a trench coat over the one piece swimsuit.

If Dynamite is so ashamed of the character, why do they continue to print these books, who is target audience, they only move about 3000 copies an issue to the people who have always bought Vampirella.

>“I’m hoping especially to find a female audience,” said Cornell. “The character’s often been regarded as a nostalgia item, cheesecake, and we’re building on previous efforts to keep moving away from that to something more interesting.
Welp.

I'd be lying if I said I was a huge fan of her stories. I do however love the classic art of her.I know the costume Is meant to be titillating, but I always saw a lot of power in this image by José Gonzalez.

>>I’m hoping especially to find a female audience.
You should realize this means "drop the book"
You've had years to figure this out.

>She's a sexy alien vampire after all
not anymore

>my brother is a Vampifag
>my brother is a rightclopsfag
>my brother is a eddiebrockfag
well, shit. Don't know how to break it to the poor basterd.

Don't.
This shit will be canned six issues in.

I've had success with alcohol.

Feminism was a mistake.

>Beginning a new and VERY different direction! Vampirella was last spotted in 2016 doing what she does best-defending the world from threats both mystic and evil. She hasn't been seen since. Now, over a thousand years later, she's poised to make her fateful return, but the world that awaits her is unlike anything she might expect-or want to defend!
hai gaiz its in the future so its different!!! xd

I don't particularly like that look, but it's infinitely better than the shit OP posted.

>it's infinitely better than the shit OP posted
Explain?

>cutscene
>in-game engine

If they really wanted the female audience, why not just turn her into a hinky dude?

lovely, I got that magazine somewhere in my vault, can't remember where it was published in here but it's from the time my dad and my uncle colected comics.

That would be hilarious

Eh, the US female audience is apparently so starved that they're buying those Alice in Wonderland titty comics just to get something with women as MCs.

Then they didn't need to get rid of Vampirella's swimsuit, did they?

Where do I start with Vampirella, so I can get outraged at this properly?

Try the classic Warren comics from the 70s, if you can tolerate black-and-white comics.

Vampirella's that old? Huh, I honestly had no idea.

Anything else worth reading?

She was created in 1969.

Her comic was a part of a line of horror comic magazines published by Warren Publishing that bypassed the Comics Code due to a technicality. That made them safe from (self-)censorship, and allowed them to show more than could be shown in most comics back then.

Vampirella's outfit was designed by Trina Robbins, notable underground comix artist and feminist. The cover for the first issue was drawn by none other than Frank Frazetta.

Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Amanda Conner had a run with the character in the 90's which was very good.

the 70's books starts off as morbid cheescake as Vampi is more of the Crypt Keeper in early issues and morphs into a solid 70's character driven horror series

the 90's book is the more famous, and where the monster hunter theme which is still the central theme to the current books comes from, it's hit and miss depending of if you like to see early art from superstars like Amanda Conner Mike Mayhew and Ed McGuinness.

also makes back issues incredibly expensive.

Wait, is this actually from her new comic? I swear I thought OP just put a phoenix dress on her in MS paint for some Jean Grey joke

it's how people dress 1000 years into the future.

already hedging their bets for when this book fails after the $.25 0 issue.

There's the original 70s-80s run, by Warren Publishing.

Then there's the 90s-00s run by Harris Comics. It was a "bad girl art" reimagining of Vampirella. "Bad girl art" means a style of cheesecakey grimdark comics with occult themes and sexy antiheroines that was most popular in the 90s. Vampirella was one of the most notable examples of the "bad girl art" trend, so try it if you're a fan of that stuff.

Then there are several 2010s runs by Dynamite Entertainment. They did have some interesting bits, but they also rebooted the character a lot, and could never choose whether they like cheesecake and or not so they kinda did both at the same time.

Thanks, guys. I've never read much with the character, aside from a short story that Bruce Timm did.

I'll check out some of her stories sometime soon then.

I still don't get their plan with Red Sonja, Dejah Thoris or Vampi. Their relaunch was kinda of a "fuck your roots" type of deal, ignoring what made them fun in the first place. Why not make "Venus princess" or "Betty Brunnete" or "Vampire chick"?

Download the vampirella archives if you want to check the Warren era. They uploaded 15 recently and that's the whole collection.

Harris comics you're good with the "Masters" collection, it has the better issues. And it's easier to find than most of the Harris comics ones.

Ond dynamite's runs I can only tell you to avoid the Kate Leth run, I don't hate it as much as other anons but man it's wasted potential.

Cornell is a good writer and the first issue is only 25 cents, you'd have to be an idiot not to at least check it out even if you don't like the outfit.

Vampirella was never anything amazing, Tarot is pretty much the modern Vampirella comic, same combination of cheesecake with insane stupidity in writing. Why people read it? Because it was hilariously stupid and an entertaining read that way.

If they think they can somehow turn Vampirella into some serious "superhero comic for girls", they couldnt have missed the point of the IP more.

I liked the set up Leth did setting the book in LA and the use of the old hollywood mansion reminded me a lot of Lori Lovecraft

Yeah, that Bruce Timm story was pretty cool

I didn't say I won't check it out... and I know Cornell is usually pretty good.

I merely voiced my disappointment about her redesign. It's all there is to discuss at the moment, anyway.

I liked that she referenced her role as the crypt keeper. That she didn't trash the old costume, she didn't really insult anyone. Hell most of my problems come down to how bland everything else is.

Their solicits show that they probably want to try different directions at the same time, and see what sticks.

>"relatable" non-sexual female-pandering Vampirella
>classic metal bikini Red Sonja
>old geezers Carter & Dejah Thoris in the future

>That she didn't trash the old costume
I thought she did?

Fair enough. I've only seen the image on the right and not the cover, so seeing that now has actually gotten me a bit more hopeful for it than I was. I definitely wouldn't mind at all if she looks like the right in casual and relaxed situations and more like the left in more dynamic action scenes. If anything I'd say the most worrying thing is it being in the 31th century for some reason.

Nah, they joked about keeping it for special ocassions, then vampirella was interviewed and was asked "why the costume?" and she answers "why not?"

I'm not kidding, the last issue is about a fat guy that has fly wings and spits acid and has a crush on vampirella, and they don't make fun of him. They find it kinda cute that he has a crush on her.

It's can't believe this came from the writer of Hellcat

Her being in the future may not be a bad thing at all. I just hope the setting is interesting like Vampire Hunter D's.

Now you see, I saw these pictures in the opposite order. That's why I got hyped when I first saw the cover, and then disappointed when I saw the interior art promo pic.

>I definitely wouldn't mind at all if she looks like the right in casual and relaxed situations and more like the left in more dynamic action scenes.
I would be okay with it (though wouldn't she have more than one rather bland outfit for casual stuff?)... but now I'm worried that it's an example of "covers always lie" – that the outfit on the cover is just the same outfit that's on the right image just "enhanced" with bat wings for a visual metaphor, and not an actual cool outfit she will wear. Ah, we'll see I guess.

>If anything I'd say the most worrying thing is it being in the 31th century for some reason.
She does have a connection with sci-fi themes, though. As I said, she is a vampire alien, after all.

Interesting, the last Vampirella work I read was the Masters collection by Mark Millar. It was pulpy, but never reached the heights of his Vampi collaboration with Morrison.

very original

Seeing as Vampi was originally inspired by Barbarella, it could just work.

HORY SHET

I knew it looked familiar

Leth makes me sad because she could be a good writer, but she clearly has some deep-seated issues that prevent her from actually putting anything of consequence into her work. All that's left is bland, uneventful, and has no impact. So many others are able to draw upon their trauma to create great art, but she is either unable or unwilling to do that and would likely be best off by just getting some much needed therapy.

WTF Leth WTF

That would get in the way of riding shallow trends to raise her own profile.

HAHAHAHA holy shit what a bunch of hacks, even the fucking hairstyle!

I'm not sure how much influence she had over the redesign itself. That could have been all Scott's work.

>eth makes me sad because she could be a good writer, but she clearly has some deep-seated issues that prevent her from actually putting anything of consequence into her work. All that's left is bland, uneventful, and has no impact.

Just like the moment she starts working on Vampirella she decides that the best story would be... Vampirella vs social media...

Like really?

I don't think that he can be a good writter, I mean there is writing what you know and there is writing the mundane boring shit that you do in your life.

>hehehe randon tattoo time!
>I need to go where beer is! edgy, right?
>social media and drinking buddies!
>bed bugs, that's compelling right there!

...huh. I couldn't quite place it, but something about that Vampirella design looked really familiar.

Lol is this real?

>This actually triggered Vampi fans at the time due to showing her as a cold blooded killer.

Some things never change.

>this is new York, no one will help her.
I saw a documentary that detailed what really went down that night. It's heart breaking, but people did in fact help.

Not only Kate Leth excels in writing, but I see she's also a very original character designer

We could have an entire thread about it but it would devolve in the same arguments after a 100 posts.

So why not post some cheesecake or let the thread die?

I know that she didn't drew that because she sucks as an artist, but did she came up with the concept?

Yes, she came up with the redesign.
Iirc, she even said she expects tons of cosplays of her great new design lol

Ironically girls still keep cosplaying the original instead

>Photography by CarlosAdam
Maybe not the best example, seems that one was paid to wear it for a photoshoot.

>bland puritan redesign

man you can dislike the redesign but you're kinda tipping your bias there

She says she made it, she's a cosplayer.
Idk but I like to give the benefit of the doubt

What bias? I don't like when they "cover up" characters that shouldn't be covered up, just like when they slut up characters that shouldn't be slutted up

lol

I know nothing about Vampirella aside from what she looks like but isn't she more of a sexy, confident character? Picture on the right looks like an awkward teenager posing stiffly for a picture.

She is, yeah. I guess in their search for a female audience, they redesigned her to be relatable for awkward teenagers

Just remembering the Kate Leth launch + redesign for this.

That actually sounds interesting from Cornell though.

But you have to read comics to know that. That isn't allowed now.

Looks more like an awkward twenty-something with body issues

>your vagina is haunted
Best pickup line ever.

Oh lawd, what'd they do to Dejah?

>She's hipsterella now
Literally this, I couldn't even finish it.

Doesn't matter, it was canned when the other two flopped.

Regardless, the funny thing is that the swimsuit is far more simple a cosplay outfit than Leth's newer design.

Hell, the red dress in OP's post is more simple a cosplay design than Leth's outfit. Just because it looks cool, it doesn't mean women are going to cosplay it in droves.

Could be worse.

It didn't even look that cool. It looked generic as fuck

JOHN CARTER: THE END #1

Price: $3.99

Shipping: February, 2017

Format: Comic Book
Page Count: 32 Pages
ON SALE DATE: 2/8
THE DEATH OF MARS! Centuries have passed and time has taken its toll. Conflict burns across the landscape of Barsoom. A war of supremacy and genocide at the hands of a brutal despot has brought the planet to the edge of collapse. A search party has finally located an aged John Carter and Dejah Thoris, living in quiet seclusion on a desert moon, in perpetual mourning for a lost son. How could they be Mars' last hope?
Introducing a John Carter story like you've never seen before, from writers Brian Wood (Star Wars, DMZ, Northlanders) and Alex Cox (Adventure Time), and artist Hayden Sherman (Civil War II: Kingpin).

this, basically