The "Man in the Shadows" featured on the post-credits scene for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was originally Electro...

>The "Man in the Shadows" featured on the post-credits scene for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was originally Electro, as evidenced by his arrival and departure followed by lightning strikes. He was envisioned as Norman Osborn's superhuman enforcer and the killer of Richard and Mary Parker, causing the electrical malfunction that leads to their plane crashing, but the idea was later scrapped.

What went wrong? This actually sounded pretty cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

movieweb.com/paramount-pictures-box-office-bombs-2016-2017/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because despite an excellent director, composer, cast, and budget, the Amazing Spider-Man films had shit writing.

Sometimes, I just wonder what it would be like if Sony tried to continue their plans for a Spider Man cinematic universe. It would be pretty interesting

I would've watched "Spider-Man VS. The Amazing Spider-Man".

Didn't Spectacular Spider-man get canned because Sony got the rights back and ended up making ASM1?

Exact opposite. It got canned because Marvel got the animation rights back from Sony.

Reminds me that they wanted SM2 writers for the third one.

>Sony got the rights back and ended up making ASM1?

Sony has never lost the rights for Spider-man not even with the deal they made with Marvel Studios.

Once that deal expires they can go back to make Spider-Man movies on their own once again.

For example the infamous Avi Arad wants to push the Venom, Sinister Six and Animated Spidey movies independent from the MCU and without Holland Spidey, which would be awful, how the fuck would you make movies about Spider-Man villains without Spider-Man?

That indicates there are some holes in the deal Sony could exploit if they wanted, like making movies about Black Cat, Venom or any Spider-Man character that probably is not covered by the deal or an animated Spidey movie since the contract probably only specifies only the live-action Marvel should be shared with Marvel Studios.

It's not just that. Way too many Sony execs had way to many heads in everything. Going over the e-mails it seems like everyday in the middle of production they were shifting gears on what their Spidey franchise should be and where it should go and how they should BUILD the universe?

roll

IT WAS ME, PETER.

>What went wrong?
You already posted it. Setting up intrigue without knowing the answers. If you want to set up a mystery you should have an idea where you're going with it. Otherwise, it's Lost.

I think that's why Sony is pushing for Spider-Man (Homecoming) 2 for 2019. They're going to be having a Spider-Man film every 2 years. If Marvel is generous, I see a Venom Spinoff Franchise to make it 1 Spider-Man, 1 Venom film pattern.

Lets be honest, Venom is the only property that can spin off of Spider-Man that would be able to support itself.

It is actually astonishing. I almost wished that Sony kept the rights so that they could try this Spider-Verse because I really would want to see how far they could take things before it crashed horribly.

It already crashed horribly, though.

Stan Lee got to the actor

But they had a pretty straightforward and nicely laid-out plan that they just ditched.

You're definitely right, but I'd pay lots of money to see a Kraven the Hunter monster hunting movie.

Yeah, but not after a Sinister Six Film, a Black Cat film, etc.

That's the thing that bugs me about the MCU. They won't take chance on films unless they are for building a future film. Hell, how would they ever get the Savage Lands going?

They never lost the rights to the films. The only thing they lost was the film merchandise money (done as part of a deal to continue making Spider-Man films and keep all the box office money) and the animated/live-action TV rights.

Only because execs are cashing bonus checks worth the entire profit of the film. For fuck's sake those movies made 750 Mil on 250 mil budgets, that's a major success for anything other than a cape film.

I'd mock you for the idea that Ka-Zar deserves a movie, but at this point nothing woul surprise me.

>Lets be honest, Venom is the only property that can spin off of Spider-Man that would be able to support itself.
>tfw no early 2000s series of B-movies of the Venom symbiote taking over a different host every sequel
>tfw no sequel called "Venom X: In Space" taking place in the future

It still amazes me that 750 was considered a failure. Hell, Dr. Strange is barely breaking 650.

This is actually what I was expecting them to do with Jamie Foxx and I had no clue it was planned. I think it would've made for a more interesting story than another scientist changed by a lab accident.

Movies aren't judged by what they make
The're judged by what they could have made

It's all about opportunity cost

That's why Dr Strange is considered a hit for Marvel because it came out in November. 650 for post-summer pre-Christmas season is amazing.

750 for a summer blockbuster that spent 100s of millions on marketing is a huge failure.
Summer blockbusters make a billion now or are failures.

I sometimes wonder if Marvel should start making some non-superhero films, just in case the superhero bubble does burst.

Which is why Hollywood will crash.

Yeah, the budgets are getting out of control

It'll take a series of flops though to make a difference.
Disney survived John Carter only to become absolutely dominate in 2016

Guy had too much presence and authority to be Electro. Electro has always just been a goon except for that one time he fueled the 99% movement. The "Shadow man" seemed far more like someone that would be pulling strings, not being pulled by them.

Thing is, I think it won't take long for a major studio to flop. Not Disney or Universal, but possibly Paramount.

Emma Stone would have been a sexy Carnage.

MGM is nearly dead
They've already declared bankruptcy once in the last decade.

They've had some real shit movies recently too

MGM is practically needing Sony's help to release films

This year they had a new Barbershop movie, Ben fucking Hur, and the Magnificent Seven remake.
LOL

Yeah, It doesn't even make sense for electro to have a interest in Spider-man.

The film probably cost $400 million when you add in marketing. Plus only a third of that $750 million was earned in North America; by comparison, Spider-Man 2 wasn't all that much cheaper and only made thirty million more worldwide but made half again as much as ASM in the domestic market.

It's only a matter of time. Too many studios are desperately flailing around in an attempt to find another Star Wars/Marvel style mega-franchise that they can milk and spending insane amounts of money making tentpole films in the process. Films aren't just expected to be profitable anymore but to pay for the costs of the next films in the series as well.

>For fuck's sake those movies made 750 Mil on 250 mil budgets, that's a major success for anything other than a cape film.

They don't get all that 750 million.

I went and checked and Magnificent Seven was the one where they partnered up with Sony (along with the James Bond films). Ben Hur they partnered up with Paramount and Barbershop they partnered up with WB.

i just want andrew garfield back

He was a terrible Peter Parker

I disagree

so? i paid to see "the amazing spider-man" and i got a better spidey than tugboat. I didn't pay to see peter parker.

I feel bad for him, and I really liked him in the role but I'm excited for the new guy's take. I liked him in Civil War, and I'm optimistic about the new film.

He's just so "cool"
Like, the skateboard, the hair, the fashion

He's like the male equivalent of a movie saying some girl's ugly because she ties her hair up and wears glasses

I've always like the idea that spidey makes jokes because he found his confidence under a mask, and not the spidey who makes jokes because he's really nervous and insecure and has to say something to get it off his mind, and that's why i can't stand nu-spidey

In the majority of Spidey comics, Peter Parker is not unpopular because he's ugly, or autistic, or smart. He's unpopular because he's anti-social and kind of a dick.

It's too bad the relevant stuff that everyone knows dictates it's autism and smarts that make him unpopular.

That's what I really liked about the Raimi origin story
As soon as he gets his powers he's all like "I'll show them. I'll show them all!"
The other ones kinda skip straight from powers to super-hero without the necessary middle stage of being drunk with power

Well he was always a nerd.
The didn't use the term "autistic" back then, but an anti-social bookworm isn't too far from sperg

ASM kind of mixed it together, with him using his powers to pursue revenge against Ben's killer. Yeah he was doing some hero stuff, but really he just wanted to find a guy and fuck him up.

Disney's biggest weakness is the oncoming death of cable.

They have Star Wars and Marvel now

The bank they've made this year will keep Walt's cryotube fueled for another 100 years

I could also see them screwing themselves over by cranking out tons of super expensive Star Wars and Marvel films in a short period.

Everyone involved in that Ben Hur remake should be fired and never work in Hollywood again

I don't know how anyone could think that would make money

not if the rumors that they're buying Netflix are true

You can tell that MGM is funding whatever remake for an IP they already own.

When somebody dies, they let go of their bowels and shit flows out.

As far as I know, the deal is pretty bare bones. Sony keeps the film rights 100%, but they agreed to bring him into the MCU because both parties benefit. No money was exchanged to make this deal happen.

So yeah, there's really nothing stopping Sony from mining other Spider-man characters for non MCU films. Let's just hope they're not that dumb.

It had a $3300 per screen average on its opening weekend; I bet a Fathom Event screening of the Heston version could beat that. Especially if they did it around Easter.

I'm too lazy to find the specific email, but some of the plans they were floating around were BONKERS.

Shit like Gwen coming back from the dead and becoming Carnage, an Aunt May film, bringing back the Spider-man films while keeping the Amazing Spider-man around too, with the two eventually crossing over, an Aunt May film, etc. Plus the plans for the Sinister Six films (which may not have even featured Spider-man).

You have to admit it'd be fun to see how that shit played out.

Remember when we saw ASM and thought "Well....the next one should be good" and then it somehow became even worse? Im still mad about Rhino.

>Shit like Gwen coming back from the dead and becoming Carnage

That's from Ultimate though

And I could see why they want to bring her back, the thing people praised about the Webb films was Peter and Gwen's relationship. I thought they were gonna hold off on her death till maybe the third film but they rushed shit through and it showed.

Oh, I'm not the least bit familiar with Ultimate desu.

Alternating between Spider-man and Amazing Spider-man films every year would have been fucking weird though.

I remember seeing ASM and liking it.

Then I remember seeing ASM2 and being highly disappointed in how badly the studio fucked up all the potential the series had.

Both scenes with Rhino were fucking great though.

>Liking tank Rhino
Shit taste

Paramount had a terrible year this year.

movieweb.com/paramount-pictures-box-office-bombs-2016-2017/

I like USM
I like Paul Giamatti
I like heartwarming scenes

Transformers will keep them alive fof a decade more at least

rhino had been featured in ads, even interviewing paul giamatti about his character only to see him in the movie less than 2:00 of the whole movie, which had no connection to the over all story

They wasted Paul Giamatti, he's barely in the movie and might as well be cut entirely, and he was given a stupid ass design which featured 50 caliber rifles/missiles. I refuse to even acknowledge that as Rhino

Jesus Christ, just let it die already. Please.

C'mon, China, you can do it! Make it bomb!

It's all in relation to the ratio of how much money they sunk into making it and the actual amount of money they made. Movies like the Ghostbusters reboot look like they have a decent box office at first, but they did pretty piss poor since they made little over their production costs, which are always more than what's stated and actual money earned by the studios is always less than the box office. Not to mention franchises like these should be doing much better than they actually are considering their name recognition.

They may have recast it. It does happen. Though if he had been electro for over 10 years it stands he would become confident in his abilities and powers are some point.

>He was envisioned as Norman Osborn's superhuman enforcer and the killer of Richard and Mary Parker

read the post dingus

>forgetting the Aunt May solo movie

According to the leaked emails, TASM2 only made a 30 million profit.

And the new film makes it clear that's still happening. I honestly have no hope for live action Spider-Man.