Sup Forums OC thread

How about some good ol fashion OC thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/who's.html
youtube.com/watch?v=OtZ961RK1us
keepergryphonstone.deviantart.com/art/FaustFall-1-Front-Cover-620305208
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Concept for a female singer character. She lives on making her performances wild and artsy and upholds the idea of art over all. She's also got powerful illusionary magic powers that she uses to make her music and performances even more intense and origional.

It's hard to tell if she's malicious or not due to her almost maniacal interest in in being artsy contradicting with her sweet and doting royal like nature.

You should try to give her a maniacal laugh or grin or something that show her "obession" about art

So, what? Is she just another Antho?

She's a mental patient who's nurse is an on-the-run criminal (for having inappropriate relations with her patients). Said nurse breaks her out of the facility and takes her on a nutty road trip adventure.

I really need to find a concept artist to give some form to my characters.

Do you have some art of the nurse? The story sound like a Cohen Brother Film

Try me

A design I worked on and off for a week on. She's a vampire ballerina who's working to amass an army of undead servants to one day take over the Underworld. She's a bit of a trickster as she lures in people thinking that she is weak and defenseless, then defeats, converts, and enslaves them.

>who's
public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/who's.html

I imagine her having a very hauty cackle.

I never expanded on the idea beyond the premise. She was going to have a brother trying to become her legal guardian only to learn the nurse has taken her and attempts to follow them cross country.

This is the only other pic I have of her cropped because the guy I split the commission with insisted his character be naked

The concept is very nice and the story is good but the character.
I advice you this, no good design is arbitrary, everything have to have a reason why it's there.
Like, why does the glove have spot, why the dress suddenly have the green middle part and not grey?
Why her head shaved? Stuff like that.
Made it simple will not only made it so that you can redraw easier but also more memorable but careful not to made her too simple which will made her become generic

>because the guy I split the commission with insisted his character be naked
Ok, What?

I'll keep that in mind with future iterations of her design, thank you. The spots on her gloves are supposed to be bloodstains, but I could've probably made them look more smeary, like if she wiped them off of her mouth.

The artist only had one spot open but he agreed to draw both of our characters in the same pic if we split the bill. The other guy's character was a futa skunk, and in the uncropped pic, the skunk's standing in front of her naked under the pretense of giving Ivy a "shot" with her dick. S'where I got the idea of a nurse having inappropriate relations with her patients

That's a stuffed bat she's holding btw.

It's upon seeing this thread that I realized that I've been spending way too much time worldbuilding and fleshing out the plots without really constructing characters.
Like, I can see them in my head, and how they'd react, but I really just need to get it down on paper.

Whoops, didn't mean to comment on your post.

I have a villain character who looks kind of like Kamen Rider and I'm wondering if he should be wearing an insect man costume, or actually be a humanoid insect, like an organic Rider. It's hard weighing the pros and cons of each. His setting supports either.

This can definitely be a serious problem.

Worldbuilding's cool and all, but if the characters we follow through this world aren't interesting then it just isn't worth it.

What are his powers, if any, and what makes him a villain?

I think that they're interesting characters, at least as I'm envisioning them in my head, the "issue" is that I'm mostly focusing on short stories/vignettes which are less about the overall character arc and more about the story plot.
Which is one of my bigger concerns with all of this is that I'll get too rail-roady with the story and just end up with: PLOT POINT A LEADS TO PLOT POINT B LEADS TO PLOT POINT C, and so on.

>because the guy I split the commission with insisted his character be naked
Ok, What?

Goddamn furries, man.

Extendable mantis blades from his forearms (works with either) and he's unusually agile. He's a villain because he works as a field commander for sinister organization trying to break into the afterlife.

I'd say give him insect armor then, and maybe design other commanders around other insects.

I was leaning in that direction. Thank you.

Posting her here, since she's new! Her name is Sugar, and she's primarily a lewd OC. She's often cheerful, though that can turn on a dime and often domineering. She's also a pastry chef, and has a deep appreciation for food. Also, she has limited shape-shifting capabilities. She can't take on the appearance of others, but can alter her proportions and number/arrangement of limbs at will.

Working on characters for my youtube animation series

Just make two more OCs, add a male and you can finally start a harem manga!

Harem require at least 5

Was getting a little tired of the way I draw cartoon muscles so wanted to try out some different shapes and slightly different changes to see how much it radically changes a design.

Don't wanna spam too many threads with this, but i've been told these characters give off a Mignola-vibe and i'm worried it seems like i'm trying to imitate his style, could I get some feedback on how I can go about changing this, or do you guys think i'm just overthinking it?

Bump

I'm frankly not too familiar with Mignola's work, but it doesn't look like a straight up imitation.
Sure, you seem to be inspired by his artworks but to me it looks unique enough to be different.
Just experiment with your style a bit more if you're unsatisfied with it. You should be able to come up with your own, unique art style this way eventually.

I think I prefe the 4 on the left, which have a bit of definition so his torso doesn't just look like a loose blob. While i don't hate that simpler style, i feel like a bit of definition gives him a much more imposing figure.

Maybe you should write short side stories then?

Like banter between the characters (without being directly related to the main plot) or just random moments that can/could happen between the bigger plot points. Its a good character building exercise, plus you get a better hang of how they act and interact.

Pretty cute. Any plot/name/character ideas so far, or just the designs?

You can certainly see the inspiration from Mignola, but its original enough to be its own thing.

I can't exactly put my finger on the difference here, but the human faces give me a different vibe from mignola's.

I'd say you are good to go on this aspect, but of course like any skill keep practicing and improving.

My OC Attarra. She's a former arena fighter turned drug addiction who owns a brothel/opium den. Falls in with some younger adventure types after years in a drug induced haze.

She looks too cute and healthy to have been a drug addict for years.

Its a representation of the years prior to her fall.

Good stuff.
Gotta make her look more dirty, though. Drug addicts are gross and grimy. A prostitute would be doubly so. Probably less toned, as well.
Those are some high quality pics though.

I get what you're saying. Part of the story with her is getting herself back into fighting shape, and trying to get off the drugs. Sadly, it's the years of fighting that leaves her with chronic pain, and led to her stating to use in the first place.

So what do you guys all plan to do with your OCs?
Like, once you get all your commission art of them and stuff, then what? Short stories, web novels, comics?

Hopefully i manage to make a game with them.

I want to get on the software development business, for now just slowly learning about programming, and doing some art/writing practice on the side.

My ultimate goal is to make a movie series about them, but that's a long-term stretch and I'd have a much easier time making small animated shorts with them instead.

I'm hoping for a comic/game/novel. Still have a lot of writing to finish though.

Well he has
>Skelly garden girl
>Furry checks girl
>Oily sweater giro
> Axe-face bara girl
>New shapeshiftimg demon face giro
So yeah, only needs one male and we can get the harem doujin started

A fighting squadron of rodents, consisting of a mouse named Rodney, a porcupine named Rena, a squirrel named Teno, and an old man beaver, Leon.

Working on a story about some animals that travel through space.
This is Maxwell, he's based on a stork but I think his design still needs work. He's the leader of the group. However he still lacks experience as a leader and gets easily overwhelmed. But besides that he's a clever guy.

I want to work on a comic with my characters some time in the future. Mainly because that's the most realistic goal that I'm going to achieve on my own. An animated series would be nice.

And other main characters I can show right now.
Still need to get around to making proper bios for them and world building.

Cute designs, reminds me of animal crossing. What's their story?

Thanks guys, I feel a bit more confident in moving forward now

>what's their story?
it's kinda like megaman x but with rodents instead of robots, and cats/dogs instead of mavericks
leporidaes (so basically rabbits/bunnies) are neutral

This reminds me of I can Friday by Day.
youtube.com/watch?v=OtZ961RK1us

I don't know how to make a oc, do someone have something useful about that ?
How i make a good oc ? Also, i love Dabble style, how the fuck this guy can do so many good oc in such little time

The magic of ocs is they can be anything you want!
Do you have an idea for a character that you've always thought would be cool? Even a simple subject is enough to start the creative process.

I should also mention ocs can be incredibly one dimensional in the beginning. once you have a basic idea start thinking about elements of their character. Whats their goal? How old are they? What's their favorite color? Do they enjoy snow? etc. Have fun with it!

I'm too poor to afford commissions, so I'm learning to draw myself. It would be neat to make a comic with them in the future when I get to a certain quality.

Steve Lieber gave me this advice a while ago about getting into the industry. Figured I'd share it around.

>It's a lot harder for writers who can't draw to get their start. Many just bite the bullet and save up to pay some new-ish artists to draw a few short stories. Having those online and/or published as mini-comics will go a long way towards getting people to take you seriously as a writer.

>You can meet artists online, but the best is finding someone local so you can collaborate face to face. Maybe at a local convention? If there's no local convention, see if your local shop will work with you to organize a mixer or drink & draw at a bar or coffee shop. Build community and learn who else in your area wants to make comics.

>Getting a job- any job- at a comics publisher helps a lot, too. You'll meet people, learn how the industry works, and make connections.

>As the user @84314292 said, it also helps to establish yourself as a writer in a related field. Also, have a good social media presence *under your own name.* Impress people with the thoughtful and entertaining things you have to say about comics and pop culture.

Basically space HTF. Contemplating whether it will be scifi ideas today or like retro scifi with alien style 70s gadgets ideas of scifi.

Little bit of Winter gardening.

The suit in the concept gives me a bit more of a older sci-fi style, not retrofuturistic like flash gordon, but alien-esque fits the bill. Maybe a bit less gritty.

Cool-looking characters so far! So its like megaman, but instead of robotic abominations we get biological abominations?

Wait, if she's a skeleton, how can she have such a fat donk?

>christmas lights aren't plugged in
>they're glowing
?

Also she seems thiccer than usual or is it just me?

Have you ever hung Christmas Lights before? There's two plugs, one masculine and one feminine. You put the masculine into the wall, and if you need a longer strand of lights, you can plug another one into the feminine.

Yeah alien era level of scifi is what i really loved. Playing through alien isolation and all that retro tech was a delight.

And they just work with the masculine end? I can't remember the last time I put up christmas decorations. Maybe the lights we used were different. Or I'm just stupid.

Th lights are powered by love.

Yup. Plug in one end and the whole thing lights up.

I made an image on what I'd like to with each of the series I'm developing right now.

-"Bradandez" is a comic strip that I created back in 2009 and did daily comics of them until 2014. I've been trying to develop it as an animated series as well. Something like classic Simpsons is ideal for what I want the series to be.

-"Elem, Jeens, and Eli" is a video game idea that I've been working on since 2010. I'd like to make a franchise out of this series, hopefully having an animated series and a comic book series that will have their own separate stories that can't fit into the games.

-"Zartch" is a graphic novel that I first made back in 2006. I just started reworking on it again for a contest that's going on right now, hoping to get it publish. Again, I would like to make it into an animated series for stories that wouldn't fill a book.

As I wrote on the bottom, I would love to have these 3 series and more ideas that I have for potential ones share a universe. I will try to drop subtle hints of this shared universe as early as possible. I already have one hint planned in the first Elem game. When the shared universe is acknowledged, I'd like to make a crossover between these series and set up stories for bigger events that will take place between them.

That's it from me. I'll probably make a big Christmas picture featuring characters from "Zartch" and share it here.

>So its like megaman, but instead of robotic abominations we get biological abominations?
yeah
the monsters are more inspired by resident evil tho
i'm a huge capcomfag

So my question to you is, is it too ambitious?
Do you have the contacts and such to get these shows and vidya moving?
Also, what contest are you submitting to?

bomp

I thought it would be fun to give a skeleton Hartman hips.

Winter weight. Skeletons have that, right?

It's very ambitious. It's nothing but a thought and some writing on paper. I know it's crazy, but it doesn't hurt to think about it. I do have some friends who are interested in helping me out for the game.

The contest is being held by Scholastic for those who want to publish their graphic novel.

Hmm, not the kind of contest that I'd be able to submit to, good luck though.

I've actually been working on a comic series circled around a bunch of OCs I've made over the years. It's one of those edgy narratives with an existential message and Gothic horror atmosphere. I'm a sucker for that kinda macabre junk, but I'm really enjoying the fact I'm actually doing something constructive with my characters. I finished the first issue and have it posted on my DA: keepergryphonstone.deviantart.com/art/FaustFall-1-Front-Cover-620305208

And I'm currently in the stage of finishing up my second issue. I still have to pencil in the back cover and some side pages, but I'm hoping ink and prep it for a storytime before December is over.

Just some filler art. I haven't draw any new standalone image since I finished my Fall semester, kinda focused on finishing my comic atm.

I like the shapes in your comic (like the background and stuff), but not so much with the brush strokes. Nice page layouts, though.
I feel like I'd like these more if they weren't digital.

I have two separate ideas. One is a webcomic about a little human girl traveling in the Underworld, where everyone wants her head on a silver platter, and another about people doing jobs in a strange world that is mostly post-apocalyptic but the rest is fairly modern if not advanced.

Thanks user.

I feel ya on the brush strokes, too. The line density is too similar and lacks a recessive quality that helps to separate the figures from the background. Inking with brush is relatively new for me since I'm more fond of technical pens. I got a few Isograph technical pens this year though, so I'm hoping when I ink my second comic in those they'll vary up my line density.

>Nice page layouts, though.

Oh, that's a relief to read. I originally thought the layouts were pretty boring at times, and didn't vary enough. I wanna tackle more dynamic layouts as I work on the series, but I suppose the same four or six paneled layout is a good move for now.

>I feel like I'd like these more if they weren't digital.

I've noticed they're better received when read as a minicomic. For me, the digital aspect I put into these comics is cleaning up mistakes and increasing the ink's levels in Photoshop. Maybe reading them on a screen takes away from their overtly traditional aspect...

My most overpowered character "Everyman", who can shapeshift into any person or object and is also extremely hyperactive.

what's his real name? Avery Mann?

I've been shopping mine about as a comic. Limited run. got a little interest, so we shall see!

I like this girl a lot, always enjoy seeing new art of her.

But does she ever take off that loincloth?

A monster sketch, a heat generator with an A.I is drop into a volcano

Need some flipping help here
Which hairstyle fits best for a knight?
I need something that's not to super special and unique but also not too basic anime protag-ish.
If anyone's got ideas let em at me

bump

Thanks. I don't really have any sans-cloth, as she's not that kind of character. Although here is a moment between her and her lover.

randomness

I'd say a slightly simpler version of the second one in the middle row.

what are the snail and the bee like? last time i remember you saying that jeff was a bit cocky.
the bee looks kinda smug and i'm guessing the snail is the reserved shy one.

also nice to see you around again. your crane character looks pretty nice. the stick legs are neat, but i'd go for a different shaped head.

Bump

It's definitely a figure issue more than anything. There's nothing "wrong" with making your characters similar to your background, but it can be a chore for the reader to figure out what they're looking at. Like, during the fight/eating scenes, it's kind of a mess. Which I'm sure is partially intentional, but you need to give the reader a little bit of help. Just a little.
Also, some of your longer shading lines look "unfinished"? Like, they look like you just kind of did a bunch of swooshes on your wacom to fill it in.
>dynamic layouts
Don't undersell the 3x3, Watchmen was built around it and it's one of the most popular GNs of all time. Others are successful with the 2x2. Not saying that you shouldn't get creative with the panels, but it's not super critical.

Superb!