Rocket Power is not really a 90s show, it's an 00s show. It had most of its run (1999-2004) in the 00s. For instance...

Rocket Power is not really a 90s show, it's an 00s show. It had most of its run (1999-2004) in the 00s. For instance, I've always heard Full House(1987-1995) being called a 90s show, not an 80s one, because it ran mostly in the 90s.

People only claim it's a 90s show because those born in 1994-1999 want to be "le 90s kids", even though they don't remember any part of that decade.

>But le 90s ended in 2004! Tumblr and Buzzfeed said so!
No. A decade's culture doesn't bleed five damn years into the next. Maybe one or two, but not five. For instance, there was nothing left of the 80s by 1992.

OP, you seem to be missing one vital element of Rocket Power: We are riders on a mission--action--here to play position "Rocket Power".

This is true. Spongebob and Futurama aren't 90s shows either.

t. born in 1993

But he has a point, people's memories don't really begin until age 6.

How can someone born in 1994 be a 90s kid when they don't remember anything until the year 2000?

1993 was objectively the best year to be born

No, that's 1985. 85 - the last of the best.

1965-1985 is, according to definitions, Gen X. 1986-2000 is millennial retards.

R E M E M B E R

>For instance, there was nothing left of the 80s by 1992.

Dude, there most certainly was. Most of the more successful cartoons running in the early '90s started in the mid-to-late '80s.

By 93 there was definitely nothing left of the 80s.

Can we all just acknowledge that there really wasn't any good nick cartoons from that "era" besides spongebob

Rocket Power isn't so much a '90s show' in that it aired in the 90s, but in that it was a product of the 90s. It embodied the look, feel, style, and atmosphere of the 90s like nothing else did. If someone were to ask what the 90s were like, what the 90s were about, you could just point them to this show.

Really what good nicktoons are there besides Spongebob? I guess Hey Arnold and Invader Zim? I'm not saying there aren't any, I'm just having trouble thinking of any.

Oh shit, there was Rugrats, forgot about that. What else is there?

Rocko's Modern Life, for sure. I want to say Aahh!! Real Monsters, but I've never actually watched it since, you know, childhood. Chalkzone had some good episodes too, I guess?

I'd say Nicktoons have multiple different eras

Golden Age, 1991-1997 - Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, Angry beavers, Hey Arnold, etc.
Silver Age, 1998-2005 - Rocket Power, Wild Thornberries, pre-movie SpongeBob, FOP, Jimmy Neutron, Avatar TLA, etc.
Bronze Age, 2006-2014 - Back to the Barnyard, Mighty B, Wayside, Fanboy and Chum Chum, El Tigre, Planet sheen, etc.
Return-to-form age, 2015-presnet - Harvey Beaks, Loud House, probably more to come

Not counting spinoffs of shows that began in the '80s, there were several shows that began in the '80s and were still running in '93.

The Simpsons (Ullman shorts in '87, '89-present)
Garfield and Friends 88-95
TMNT 87-96
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo 88-93

Similarly, it triggers me when people say shit that came out in like 2004-2005 is "early 2000s". No they aren't.

(OP)
Dude that was already debunked.
Yes, they are.
Thats mid 2000s.

Yeah! 1993 REPRESENT

I distinctly remember jumping up & down on the couch for the premiere of Hey Arnold! & collecting holographic labels of Campbell's soup promoting Rugrats the First Movie.

there is no legitimate reason why you should classify culture based on decades

there is nothing special about 10 year chunks. Why not 11 years? Why not 9? Why not 25?

>I distinctly remember jumping up & down on the couch for the premiere of Hey Arnold!
Human memories begin at the age of 5 and Hey Arnold began in 1996, when you were 3. You're lying.

Nick was plenty good until 2005, at which point we entered a dark age anyway barring AtLA. 2006 was a golden age for internet shit though.

Eh, I'd say Nick entered the dark age in 2006, when Cyma "Jew" Zarghami took over and got rid of the good shows, replacing them with Flash, CGI, tweencoms, and endless SpongeBob reruns

2005, while not their best year, was their last "pretty good" year; Avatar was a great new show, Catscratch was a decent new show, the schedule was still varied, and the SpongeBob episodes that year were probably the best of the post-movie era (i.e. Fear of a Krabby Patty, Skill Crane).

It's probably just puberty fucking things up at the time for me, but I feel like 2005 was a pretty sharp shift; 2004 is closer to 2003 than to '05 culturally >implying radio hits and cartoons actually mean anything.

2005-2006 is kinda its own era desu.

Fair enough, my perspective is probably distorted by my family getting a TiVo and getting detached as a result. Goddamn it's amazing how quickly that came and went.

Welcome to the base-10 numbering system.

In three weeks it'll be December 31, 2016 - the tenth anniversary of Dec 31, 2006. The last day of the last year without the iPhone, and the last without totally ubiquitous social media.

Hard to believe isn't it?

I'd say it gets classified as 90's because it's more in-line with that period. It's more in line with radical, backwards ballcap x-treme sports obsession of the 90's than the trends of the post-Spongebob era.

I was born in 1994, and my memories go back to at least 1997

>born in 1993
>repressed as many childhood memories as possible because of my abusive family

Do I still count as a 90s kid

>No. A decade's culture doesn't bleed five damn years into the next.
This is especially jarring because the early 2000's culture is much more dated than anything from the 90's

>people's memories don't really begin until age 6.
You might wanna get your head looked at.

I wish they had helmets back then too.

The arithmetician inside me also gets triggered when people say a year ending in -6 is a "late" year of that decade (instead of a "mid" year, which is what it actually is).

For instance, I've heard people say 1996 is a "late 90s" year, even though mathematically it's a mid 90s year, plus its pop culture was way closer to that of 95 than that of 98.

I've heard memories begin around 3, possibly earlier if it was some traumatic event but even then usually only for that one thing. Although of course there are some people who can't remember anything before like 10 for whatever reason, maybe also trauma, who knows.

Point is it's kind of flexible. Unless someone's claiming to remember their actual date of birth it's possible to have memories from a wider range than that.

Perhaps it's because I was just a kid and adolescent then, but the 00s seemed to me like one of the most rapid, changeful decades ever. Two or three lifetimes in one decade, it felt like.

Like, in the year 2000, Pokemania was big. Video games, trading card games, with anime (with Misty), movies, soundtracks, pajamas, etc. But by 2006 - only a mere SIX years later - on the forums I went to, Pokemania had of a feeling of "that's in the past, it's all been done before, that's ancient history, the world was a much different place back then, etc." I even remember some of my friends in school starting to get nostalgic for the Pokemon craze and Gens 1-2, despite that only being a mere SIX years ago!

By contrast, in 2016, I don't see any mid teens getting nostalgic for Angry Birds and saying it was a fond childhood memory, despite the release time between that and now being 8 years (more than the aforementioned six between Pokemania and 2006).

I don't entirely agree. I mean, there was a big difference between the early 2000s, which were much closer to the 90s, and characterized by the hyper patriotism of the post 9/11 world, and the late 2000s, which were closer to the 2010s, with that bitterness and social upheaval.

But I think there's a pretty big difference between the early 2010s and now. Angry birds like you said, but stuff like facebook too, meme culture has changed, video games are so different now, or like, do you remember dubstep? How fucking huge that was. And now it feels like such a thing of the past.

2011 especially, to me at least, really embodies the early 2010s, and feels very different from now.

One big difference, the 2000s, I had no idea what made the 2000s 'the 2000s' while they were happening. Like, there are distinctive aesthetics to the 70s and 80s and 90s, and during the 2000s I always wondered what would characterize the 2000s, they seemed so normal to me, and I didn't really gain an appreciation for the look and feel of the 2000s until they were over. The 2010s on the other hand, I've had a very solid feel for since at least 2014. I know what the 2010s are, and feel very confident in how they'll be remembered, the first half at least.

Yeah, that's true.

Also, perhaps it's just nostalgia, but I think things really did feel more optimistic and buoyant during Obama's first term, particularly after the killing of Osama bin Laden. Not to mention, "social justice" was barely there in 2011 compared to now.

By his second term, numerous issues began to mount (rise of ISIS, ebola, the deaths of Eric Garner and Mike Brown which divided people and started changing society again, prominence of SJWs, feminazis, overly PC crap, church shooting in Carolina, Freddie Gray shooting, race issues and riots, Paris attacks in Brussles, Pulse night club shooting, Islam being brought to the forefront, etc.), and now our country feels more divided than ever.

Yes I know the optimism of his first term was a fake dream, but sometimes I wish we could go back.

>prominence of SJWs, feminazis, overly PC crap
That's not fair. It's both sides, the rise of the alt-right and the alt-left has been really huge during the 2010s, and the establishment really hasn't known how to respond to it.

Comes down to what you mean by memories, I remember some shit from when I was 2 but having a sense of an era takes more awareness and stronger memory than you'll find in a toddler.

I think the 2000's can be divided into 2001-2004, 2005-06, and 2008 onward (2000 is basically the 90's with more chrome because millennium, 2007 is disputed territory). I fully admit my reasoning behind '05-6 as its own thing is a subjective matter of what culture felt like and is distorted by my being a kid who discovered the internet.

I also remember falling asleep on my dad's lap during the scene in the Hunchback of Notre Dame where Quasimodo was showing Esmeralda the roof of the cathedral & watching The Nutty Professor with Eddie Murphy in a drive-in. I quoted the guinea pig's line about "Doin' a Little Dance" alot from Dr. Dolittle's commercials.

because the 90s! kids don't understand!

It's probably because I stumbled on it early, but it feels like this alt-right/SJW business started in 2010 and I really wonder why. It's probably not just Obama, the Tea Party was pretty far removed from the alt-right (or whatever you want to call it) in rhetoric and goals.

I've been autistically trying to pin a "genealogy" of all this down but all I've got is that yelling at feminists was far bigger years ago and now it's about ethnic nationalism.

Years tend to blur together. I do remember SuperPacs were ridiculous & dominated the 2012 election. Oh, & Kony 2012 which came & went in exactly a week & Kony's still kicking today.

Isn't ATLA more bronze age?

I go by the years they started

Avatar started in 2005, one year before 2006 where Cyma "Jew" Zarghami became president of Nick, so I think it barely counts as silver age