Can we get a Claremont X-men thread going? I'm on issue 200 and loving it so far...

Can we get a Claremont X-men thread going? I'm on issue 200 and loving it so far, but it feels like it peaked at the Paul Smith run.

What's your favorite period of Claremont's run?
What's your favorite side book of the era? New Mutants? X-Force? Excalibur?

Best x-men issue ever coming through

>"Katya, I have met a space-skank, so wave das-vadania to our relationship."
>"Grrr Bub, yer underaged and aye'm Canadian, so aye'm takin' yer drinkin'."
>"Oooh yah, an' since there's gunna be an underaged drunken boy there, the team's priest is coming along too."
( MEANWHILE, AT THE LEGION OF JUGGERNAUT... )
>"Damn spider-themed teenagers and their icon epic stories about surpassing one's limitations when confronted with the unstoppable! I need me a drink!"

Is Cypher the most useless mutant ever?

>Cypher the most useless mutant ever?
I dunno: he's my go-to example of Power Creep.

Claremont was in Portugal's Comic-con this year he was such a nice person and answered every questions the fans had.

Artie, the little kid mutant that hangs out with Leech is pretty useless.
Toad.
Beak is a classic answer to this question.
Most Morlocks are just ugly and that's it.
When Bishop travelled back in time to the '90s he had a guy come along with him who had the mutant power to detect humans nearby.
Because he was so crazy Legion was once thought of as really useless.
Toad.
Angel used to catch a lot of crap for only being able to fly.
Beast too before supergenius became his thing.
There are a bunch of mutants whose powers are only to effect other mutant powers, the lamest of those was a guy who was a "chronal anchor" for the time traveler Trevor Fitzroy, and this guy just kept Fitzroy in the timeline he wanted to be in when he altered history.
The mutants with uncontrollable powers suck hard, especially the ones with death touches like Rogue or Wither.
One mutant named "Courier" had the single ability to change genders, but not to shapeshift into anyone other than two versions of themself.
Did I mention Toad?

Squid Boy

The best line-up was pre-mutant massacre before they split up into ex-factor and excalabur and all the other spin-offs. I love New Mutants because they were original characters that didn't interfere with X-Men, they were just their little bros that lived at the mansion.

They killed him off too soon, they were building up to him getting the technovirus and becoming one with Warlock, then just decided fuck it, we don't want you anymore.

>Toad
Toad only sucks because he's used as the token jobber and as a joke.

>Beast too before supergenius became his thing.

Beast being a genius was a thing since, like, Unus the Untouchable. Before that he was super agile and strong, hardly useless. Angel on the other hand keeps being useless whenever Marvel pushes him to not be Archangel.

My absolute favorite X-comic of all time is Excalibur by Claremont/Davis and then by Davis solo. It's just perfect in every way, odd fetishes nonwithstanding.

Secondary favorite is pretty much every X-Men from Cockrum through Byrne through Smith through JRJR. After that it starts to get dodgy, writing-wise. Silvestri is still good fun.

Gimme that brief period of Romita Jr right at the end.

>What's your favorite period of Claremont's run?

Probably Outback. Or just before Morlock Massacre.

>What's your favorite side book of the era?

Alan Davis era Excalibur.

As for side book there is only really one era and choice IMO

My favorite era is probably Smith/JRJR but I also love the Silvestri run as well. The book gets a bit more weird and dream like which appeals to be but isn't for everybody.

> tfw X-user on hiatus

I just wanna read Fall of the Mutants.

What's your favorite period of Claremont's run?

Claremont/Silvestri because no Jean Grey/Cyclops/Professor X bullshit. Storm is the true leader and Wolverine even takes over as leader for awhile and is very competent.

Did I mention I fucking hate Professor X and Cyclops?

What's your favorite side book of the era?

New Mutants up until Liefield

Even before they brought him back and made his powers absolutely bananas, having no language barrier with anyone in the universe is incredibly practical.

There is ZERO chance the movie won't be disappointing.

best mutant

>favorite period
Claremont Cockrum Byrne Cockrum.
I think its pretty much over for me at around 175.

I wish he drew some fuckng backgrounds.

thunderbird was useless because he died right away. sunfire was useless because he left right away. rachel was useless because she was psycho. anyone who was on the same team as rogue in the mid 80s was useless because rogue did everything.

I liked that Chaos War tie-in where Claremont finally gave him his redemption 35 years later.

He also slipped in some fetishes for good measure.

>Good Indian character that isn't Dani Moonstar

I don't think so.

I can't read the signature, who is OP's drawing by?

Favorite era is right after Mutant Massacre with everything in disarray. There's a bunch of cool guest artists before Silvestri (who I also like) takes over.

Favorite spin-off is New Mutants but don't sleep on the early Wolverine solo stuff. Buscema, Janson, and Williamson drawing costumeless Logan in Madripoor is good shit. I can't think of any cape comic with a similar tone.

Native American, user. If she were Indian she'd be from India.

Just sayin'.

Art Adams