How do you even get started making "serious" animated content in the west?

How do you even get started making "serious" animated content in the west?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dudmqtzKuR0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_(2006_film)
youtube.com/watch?v=ErmZRsCIUsE
youtube.com/watch?v=WuRkHfW8MaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=njRH_EDfLpA
youtube.com/watch?v=qUXVOfdGE4o
youtube.com/watch?v=qA7XKmC5QbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DeOo19iAJ1E
youtube.com/watch?v=7HHwhOcA6Kw
youtube.com/watch?v=0A2VUUZPUQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=2FGx2QZV2B4
youtube.com/watch?v=bYAXlDBL3wM
youtube.com/watch?v=lZipu63niNg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

By hiring talented animators, AKA the Japanese.

Apparently by abandoning your own board and fucking posting the same thread on Sup Forums every day

When all the old people who didn't grow up with Toonami are fucking dead or out of power.

No single out of the blue animated blockbuster is gonna change the minds of a generation.

ATLA opened the door, just few after have really tried it.
Voltron LD's cool, but I only ever watched the first episode

By making quality animation overwhelmingly cheap, importing Japan's obsession with merch and DVD sales as well as their hikikomori culture, and convincing everyone that high quality animation besides Disney is valid.

I sincerely hope you're not using Angel Cop as an example of serious animated content.

>If this is justice, then I'm a banana!

>ATLA opened the door

Avatar had a goofy comedy to action/drama ratio of 10:1. It was a silly comedy with rare "serious" moments, but it was not a "serious" show.

Secondly ATLA was still strictly for children.

Stop the moralizing bullshit you communist scumbag

I think that by "serious" he meant something other than an over-the-top, often badly animated comedy, which seems to comprise the bulk of adult animation in the west.

Also, fuck AND PISS

Most anime that Sup Forums drowns over are for kids or early teenagers.

What's the MD Geist of Sup Forums?

ever notice how Sup Forums always posts like decade old AT LEAST anime?

>implying shows for children are not serious
it was probably a lot more serious than south park

You probably won't find a more serious animated western film than this:

Princess (2006) Full Film: youtube.com/watch?v=dudmqtzKuR0

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_(2006_film)

reminds me of Drive...

I just want a reputable criminal we can call our own.

Japs would outsource it to the Koreans

Step one is actually the most mundane part: the budget. You need to hire animators and producers who know how to maximize every cent. The first serious adult feature-length animated movie (or TV series) is going to be like a low-budget scifi film that gets creative with the staging. You can't Disney shit up; 2/3 of the movie will be characters talking and pans, saving the bulk of the budget for the complex action/visual sequences that justifies you doing an animated work rather than live action.

Another option is piggy-backing on a known franchise, but The Spirits Within basically killed that model.

Team America, actually.

Notice how most anime is barely animated, aside from the small moment where the budget kicks in (the Japanese even have a word for this, Sakuga I believe) yet looks infinitely more visually interesting than western cartoons? Anime puts a lot of work into dynamic compositions during dialogue or pans, as well as a lot more work into sound cues etc. to make all of the barely animated filler visually interesting and obfuscate the absence of movement.

Which probably comes from the fact a lot of anime is adapted from manga, and the panels and pages are just taken wholesale and treated like a storyboard.

>How do you even get started making "serious" animated content in the west?

The problem is that unlike Japan, the average person in the rest of the world that isn't a nerd believes animation is cheap entertainment for kids and they won't take dramatic adult animation seriously, it's a cultural thing.

Also western networks prefer producing "serious" live-action shows for adults rather than animated ones, HBO tried once with Spawn, but I guess the average person would rather watch live-action versions of Westworld and Game of Thrones than animated versions that would be ignored for the fact that are animated thus for kiddies regardless of the adult content, it can't be helped.

>to make all of the barely animated filler visually interesting

For some reason people in the west have forgotten that kids can like drama and darker themes too.

>genre fiction and fantasy is dominating prime time currently
>but we can't have any of it be animated which would at this point possibly reduce costs due to how much actors are paid and SFX cost because animation is for children
>but we're all going to go out and see the new Disney film which will literally break all box office records, AGAIN

Ever notice how Sup Forumsmblr is retarded? Are you one of those retards that say anime was le manly before and now it's "moeshit" and fanservice?

I miss manime so much.

Same here

>ATLA opened the door,

And then Korra promptly slammed it in everyone's face.

Cable, without a doubt.

I don't think it's happening anymore on television. Seeking out funding from companies like Netflix or Amazon is your best bet.

Feature length film stuff, I think you need to start straightforward: Make the equivalent of a PG-13 summer blockbuster, but animated. Don't go full R like Sausage party. And make it PG-13 based more on themes and gore-less violence rather than throwing cuss words and dirty jokes in wherever possible. The problem is idiots trying to go full arthouse or raunch-fest when a good popcorn flick would work wonders.

With current animation models it's going to be next to impossible because of the budget involved. It won't take some game-changing innovative script/show premise or newly made animation studio looking to break all the rules. Instead, it'll take some pretty high end technological advances to allow animators/show runners to cheaply but effectively and *quickly* animate a show. This tech has to be readily available.

Once that happens, all it takes is someone with a good idea who can make a show that attracts an audience and sets up a trend. Imitators *will* follow, but given that Disney prints money with animated features, Marvel, and comics and cartoons aimed at younger or more general audiences, and they've set a standard for almost a century, it's going to be slow coming...

Put a lot of boobies in it and draw them all with a weird pointy face.

I wanna know why he needed to use kungfu on an 8yo boy, rather than hitting him in the head for being a sceevy turd.

It's honestly too late, in the west videogames stole the thunder from most animated media since they're basically actually more compelling for most people than cartoons.

Cartoons got too incestuous, moreso than anime, and got beat out not by new technology, but something people regularly put more passion into than cartoons.

>ATLA opened the door
reminder that the flinstones were aimed at adults.

i think ATLA was the first actual masterpiece that tried harder than anyone... but they were other solid pieces of art before, even better than ATLA.

Hey Arnold out of the top of my head "inb4 lila" yeah what the fuck was that, really.

Animate Saga or Homostuck to get the budget ball rolling and start a trend. Hope some of the cashin copycats are actually good.

>ATLA
>Masterpiece

It's like a cheap version of battle shonen.

>ALTA
>masterpiece
lol

>Anime
>serious
OP, catgirls swordfighting for 10 episodes is not serious at all. You're probably too inmature to know what serious fiction even is

Do me the favor of watching Boiler Room (2000) and White Oleander (2002) those are serious dramas.

youtube.com/watch?v=ErmZRsCIUsE

it's more serious than anything made in America

I don't think this is necessarily true. If i remember correctly OPM was on a budget but still came out pretty good. I honestly think that what makes good animation is the dedication of the workers, but like you said the biggest companies get them and put them in projects aimed at younger crowds.

>OP, catgirls swordfighting for 10 episodes is not serious at all
i guess some goofy echi series discounts

Cowboy Bebop
House of Five Leaves
Ghost in the Shell
Mononoke
Welcome to the NHK
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Eve no Jikan
Gankutsuou
Jin-Roh
Kaiba
Technolyze
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
everything Satoshi Kon has done
Kino no Tabai
Evangelion
Tatami Galaxy
Kemonozume
The Rose of Versailles
Angel's Egg
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

i think you get it

>terrible colour palette
>slideshow most of the time
>boring fight scenes even when they tried
One Meme Man didn't come out good.

>Sci fi
>serious

>ima dismiss an entire genre because it doesn't match my pretentious views on what serious fiction should be
k

When you say west what do you mean? There's plenty of adult animated movies that come out if not not really from usa.

USA/west Europe
since gumball and miraculous ladybug are lumped in the same category

the fuck is this?
why is there random live-action

Those images are from the same anime, the same episode even!

i dunno

do a test pilot with SFM

>Angel's Egg
This is Fantastic Planet tier. Too good for modern Sup Forums.

make it yourself with a small team, use flash and cut corners everywhere possible but use strong fundamentals of cinematography, color theory, and animation principles so that it still comes out oozing with style.

release a few brief animatics in the two months leading up to the release of the pilot. blast them all over social media.

bad voice actors can ruin a show, so consider having little or no dialogue. or else simlish with subs.

once you have a few episodes out and have built a small cult following, it's time to start monetizing. you want your show to have a number of distinct, recognizable symbols that you can overcharge people for shirts and hoodies. set up your patreon and offer canon nudes straight from the artists as the 10-25$ reward.

That is the joke, yes.

By changing the mass preconceived Western notion that animation is either for entertaining children or for comedy?

I think shows like As Told By Ginger and Hey Arnold had a "serious" vibe to it.

Probably because of the sentimentality shown and portrayed - both explored the melancholy and sanguine of adolescence.

>How do you even get started making "serious" animated content
practice

This.

Although, in the post 9/11 World, I think everyone desired escapism and yearned for simplier times. So, they are drawn to series like Adventure Time or Wander Over Yonder because it displayed an air of irresponsible fun and quirkiness.

>i think ATLA was the first actual masterpiece that tried harder than anyone
I mean, not to burst your bubble. However, series like Batman Beyond, Danny Phantom, Hey Arnold, did tried hard to. All examined the ups and downs of being a teenager, in Hey Arnold's case, well, kids. I think for a good story, you need both a balance of comedy and seriousness and that is what the aforementioned gave.

Then there were darker series like Invader Zim, Billy and Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog. Sure, they may not have been 100% serious, yet they set the standard for what can be shown on kids networks.

Angel Cop wasn't "serious" so much as it was pointlessly and expolitively violent.

It's honestly heading in that direction. Millenials probably take animation more seriously as a whole than any western generation before them.

It's 'cool' for 20-somethings to watch Cartoons now. The people working in animation today grew up with the cartoons of the late 90s and early 00s, which was one of the best eras of cartoons, many of which aged extremely well, and these people never really grew out of their cartoons because they didn't have to.

Now they're making cartoons, and they're making cartoons as much for themselves as they are for kids. As kids today grow older, they too will be able to continue to appreciate the cartoons of their childhood through teenagedom and adulthood, and have greater respect for the medium as adults.

It's a market that's growing, and could really take off in the next 20 years or so, when the content creators of today are the network/studio executives of tomorrow.

atla was trying to be not only as good but better than anime, than cartoons, than anything really.

those shows tried to be hella good and epic, but they never tried to idk conquer the world? atla was into something.

to me its exactly what all those series should've tried.

LIKE THIS!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=WuRkHfW8MaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=njRH_EDfLpA
youtube.com/watch?v=qUXVOfdGE4o
youtube.com/watch?v=qA7XKmC5QbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DeOo19iAJ1E
youtube.com/watch?v=7HHwhOcA6Kw
youtube.com/watch?v=0A2VUUZPUQ0

>[YouTube] Titan A.E. Trailer HD
>[YouTube] Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Trailer
>[YouTube] Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) Trailer

Didn't these bomb or under-perform?

>[YouTube] The Animatrix - Nostalgia Critic

And wasn't this mostly made by Japan? Could say the same for Halo legends.

I ACTUALLY almost punched my keyboard

nice bait. Almost got me

>the guy from Blink-182 is trying to make animted movies now

weird.

Recession

America has pretty much no chance of ever taking animation seriously or developing a robust animation industry (outside of feature films for children and families).

Hikikomori doesn't mean nerd/geek, it means shut-in.

People greatly exaggerate the lack of animation in anime.

Sakuga means animation drawing, but as a slang term it means animation that's considered high quality/interesting.

The Great Passage, for example, is an adaptation of a novel about a publishing company that's working on a new dictionary. Its earlier film adaptation won Picture of the Year. Is that not serious enough for you?

I'm rewatching cowboy bebop right now. Honestly it's kind of overrated. I really liked Gravity Falls.

We all outsource it to the Koreans

Once again: the vast majority of anime production is done in Japan.

Pic related

Now let's hope this gains attention in the US and get picked up by something like adult swim.

like so
youtube.com/watch?v=2FGx2QZV2B4
youtube.com/watch?v=bYAXlDBL3wM
youtube.com/watch?v=lZipu63niNg

this is slick i like it!