ITT: Only 10/10 westerns

ITT: Only 10/10 westerns.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CYP38A-nwLY
youtube.com/watch?v=yjR7_U2u3sM
youtube.com/watch?v=hWIwepJBMxE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Really liked this one. Very underrated. TLJ is always good kino.

Haven't seen this one yet, thanks for remembering it.

Another pic a modern that is good.

Appaloosa
Sweetwater
The Assassination of Jesse James

One of the bests

Solid spaghetti
Also good taste

Pic related was great too

Not even memeing

Underrated clint.

Why isn't this thread more active. Not OP but I want more Westerns to watch. Are they not popular on Sup Forums?

bump

Is it as good as the book?

no, but it's still very good.

im fully on board with this

I love westerns. This is another good recent one. Felt very realistic to me.

You realize why capeshit is called capeshit, right?

It's because it's superheroes, they're not realistic. They can't die and they have deus ex machine to magically save the day.

That's why it's a horrible comparison to say capeshit is the modern western. Westerns dealt with real social and political issues on a base level, rural developing civilization. Take for example, The Big Country, which is an allegory for the Cold War.

But at the root, what truly separates capeshit from legitimate cinema is not writing. It's the core concept. Superheroes aren't real, they are anti-cinema. Cinema is a reflection of reality, it exposes it and enlightens us about it. That's why the Big Country was shown at the White House and capeshit never will be.

Unforgiven

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

This one is way underrated. Neeson and Brosnan beating the shit out of each other for 2 hours.

What a depressing fucking movie. Hillary Swank should do more westerns, she really stood shoulder to shoulder with TLJ in this.

Good pick.

Just because it was set in the 1800's doesn't make it a western.

/end thread

The first half took place in west Texas.

Fuck off back to redd1t.

I didn't think Django was even supposed to be a western. It's another one of Tarantino's entry-level genre deconstruction flicks. At its heart, it's just another one of his blaxploitation movies that attacks the idea of the spaghetti western genre. I'm not surprised that most numale critics loved the picture, they hate all things western. I AM continuously surprised when it pops up on threads like this among western fans.

The only 10/10 western for me.
It also has the best vilan in movie history. Prove me wrong.
Fucking perfect.

>not even meming
Yes you are. It's terrible.

It's hard to believe Steve McQueen is a teenage halfbreed, but from Louisiana to the end is 10/10

Good post, although I disagree about realism being an essential characteristic of good cinema. I think a lot of the people who make that specious "westerns were capeshit" analogy probably haven't seen very many. It's unlikely they've seen anything by Ford, Mann, Boetticher, etc. They're likely basing their view on the fact that westerns were popular entertainment and the sort of unjustified stereotypes of old school westerns being nothing but black hats vs. white hats pablum.

The only villain in this film was capitalism.

I'm 99% sure the people who post Tarantino titles in these threads aren't western fans. It's just that the likes of Hateful and Django are the closest approximation to the genre that they know and like.

came to post Big Country

pic related is still missing

I'm your huckleberry

No love for Tombstone yet? For shame.

A must watch of the genre.

Mccabe and Mrs Miller
The wild bunch
Pat garett and billy the kid
Unforgiven
Butch cassidy and the sundance kid
The man who shot Liberty wallace
Duel in the sun
My darling clementine

It's more about industrialism/modernization than capitalism, although they obviously go hand and glove. A lot of westerns portray progress and civilization in this sort of tragic way, as killing off a certain heroic way of life, which is both inevitable and necessary.

goat one right here

I just can't let go of the kids he killed.
It's simply too much for me.

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday might be the single greatest Western performance of all time

created one of the best gifs ever, someone post it

>yfw God is real

My favorite western. A man so desperate for change, but maybe that's the flaw – are our personalities/traits ingrained to the extent of genetics? Can anyone truly change who they are?

best choice

Honestly a great exploration of Western themes.

>[Harmonica Noises]
Shit put me to sleep. Opening was great though.

Its seriously one of the most emotionally driven epics of the last 30 years

The chemistry is great

Even Danny Glover is good

is this a Western or a Coming-of-Age Drama?

youtube.com/watch?v=CYP38A-nwLY

Rio Bravo
Sons of Katie Elder

What shit taste you have

This !!!

This one is also good !! Check it on the biggest screen you can get.

Personal favorite!!!

>tfw no Indian amazon to tie up

Saw this one as a kid and thought it was pretty neat

What about Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid?

youtube.com/watch?v=yjR7_U2u3sM

plebchoice

It starts really great but i don‘t care much for the end.

fucking essential

one of the greatest ever

Rattlesnake Jake was a shockingly good bad guy too.

Kline and Glenn were GOAT in this.

Charley Bronson‘s da man.

Spaghettiest of the Spaghetti but it created a whole new sub genre

turned the genre on its head. So honest too

open range

unforgiven
proposition
tombstone
bone tomohawk
josey wales

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's bad. It's the single best western of the classic era.

Saw this in my study of film class.
"The running time of the story almost precisely parallels the running time of the film itself—an effect heightened by frequent shots of clocks, to remind the characters (and the audience) that the villain will be arriving on the noon train."

Ah i didnt see it at first. My bad.

Also one of the best taglines.

BOSS

only good thing about this was the theme song fucktard

Was this just a meme?

Another based in an Elmore Leonard. Not as good as "Hombre, " but entertaining.

ugh

Once upon a time in the West

youtube.com/watch?v=hWIwepJBMxE

Those two are my favorites!

Not one mention of Butch cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Appaloosa is criminally underrated as well, I want to buy an 8 gauge shotgun and get a specially padded jacket for it now.

cuz brad pitt and depp?

You didn't see Lefores out there did ya?

Honestly his best movie and maybe the best Western. The fact that it depicted a Cherokee Confederate War vet who refused to surrender makes me think it would be difficult to get it made these days. Not to mention a mass slaughter of a Union War Camp by a Confederate guerilla who you're meant to empathize with

Have a poster of it in my room.

A Western Epic.

There's also the controversy with the author of the book it's an adaptation of.

My dad never shuts up over his performance any time this movie gets brought up. Says Kilmer should have won the Emmy over Gene Hackman (Unforgiven) that year.

Kilmer wasn't even in the running for best supporting actor. He should have been.

Kurt Russell apparently directed Tombstone as well. He could very well be the coolest actor ever.

Nope, i mean i like em but i cant say for sure. Where i live everything gets voice acted and the voice acting is usually really really good, so its hard to tell when a foreigner actor does his job poorly.

I dont know why, but i really loved those two.
Its also true that i havent watched a lot of western movies, but still more than the avarage person i belive (around 10/15 i belive)

Your dad isn't a vet in Tennessee is he? I've had about 10 older guys at the VA tell me all about Val Kilmer in Tombstone