Favorite 1920s movie?

Favorite 1920s movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GUuJt1U1GEQ&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=blADagkKVj4
youtube.com/watch?v=tej00K8Dwgg
youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5eQwoj4qE&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=xkrGBkNhXAo
archive.org/download/DreyersThePassionOfJoanOfArc/DreyersThePassionOfJoanOfArc_archive.torrent
archive.org/download/Intolerance/Intolerance_archive.torrent
archive.org/download/MetropolisFritzLang1927Remastered/MetropolisFritzLang1927Remastered_archive.torrent
archive.org/download/Greed1924VHS/Greed1924VHS_archive.torrent
archive.org/download/ErichVonStroheimGreed1924/ErichVonStroheimGreed1924_archive.torrent
youtube.com/watch?v=TzuLCLdcym0
youtube.com/watch?v=k5x0CLDWT7U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hard to say, haven't seen many. probably some horror Nosferatu 1922?
it's hard to watch now, 30s movies aged bit better, 20s need really proper viewer

Is that your favorite? A movie that's been lost forever?

Nah I'd probably say The Lodger

good looking up though!

Way Down East

My dad had a book of hammer horror with a pic of LC from that that used to scare the piss out of me when I was a kid.

On my list. Love the 1944 remake with Laird Cregar.

I've only rated 8. Faust would be my favorite. Full of jaw dropping shots.

Flesh and the Devil
Also really like Our Hospitality, the Crowd and the Desert Song.

He probably means the photo still reconstruction they show on TCM from time to time.

damn they had a lot of horror back then

It's probably me. Big horror fan. But now that you mention it, I wonder if horror films accounted for a bigger percentage of total films made back then...

I think they had comedy as the largest percentage of films. Mack Sennett studios was literally called "the Laugh Factory" because of how many films they churned out each month.

The General
The Gold Rush (and Chaplin's 1930s movies are even better)

I've never enjoyed a silent movie that wasn't comedy.

I can vouch for these too. Good films.

That's a shame. There are some good dramas from that time. Do you at least like Harold Lloyd and Max Linder?

La passion de Jeanne d'Arc is the only right answer here

lol they probably weren't very good.

I guess it took a while for film to pick up. The 40s is probably the golden age of film

you dont like the eeriness that the bad quality naturally gives to horror films from back then?

Haven't seen any of theirs, although I was meaning to watch some Harold Lloyd.

I don't think drama works as silents. The pacing is unavoidably too slow. Even if there's some interesting stylistic gimmick, eg. The Passion of Joan of Arc, it's not enough to overcome the boredom.

1930s has more good drama.

I always hate giving the scandinavians credit, but this is objectively the best of that era

What you call "eeriness" is probably the same thing I call "amateurishness". Nosferatu was more unintentionally funny than scary.

I like them though I will admit some of them are pretty crude. 40s films are pretty good but imo the silent era is the best. The filns were well paced and the cinematography was beautiful.

>The 40s is probably the golden age of film
WTF are you talking about? 40s is the worst decade for film. Hays code and WW2 ruined everything. 30s are much better.

The Lodger is eerie tho

Oh snap, I saw that on the big screen with the Club Foot Orchestra playing live. Fantastic.

why political correctness or something?

Also, am i talking to a bunch of 60 yr olds here?

I can't stand Hitchcock, and I don't see how a missing soundtrack could make his work any less boring.

Censorship of things offensive to conservatives (eg. sex), not modern political correctness.

The Kid, Battleship Potemkin and The Passion of Joan of Arc.

He probably likes the pre-codes because morals and story weren't forced and regulated by the industry like in the 40s and 50s. Many of the directors were very restricted during the Hays era. Also I'm 20.

Die Nibelungen. Watching it makes me cry.

Greedq

Sunrise is one of a small handful of films to make me want to cry from happiness watching it. It's such a beautiful film.

Most of those 1910s Sennett films were dogshit but occasionally get funny when they lose all sense of logic and just rush through gags rapidfire.

>Sunrise is one of a small handful of films to make me want to cry from happiness watching it. It's such a beautiful film.
Zoinks. Embarrassing

thanks for turning me on to this

>stop being so intolerant of my KKK propaganda film
>progressives are the real bigots
Griffith was a moron. I like his shorter films more than his epics

Both of those films are pretty good but why are they being compared? They have nothing in common. Sunrise is just a redemption story but Intolerance tackles three separate stories at once (Keaton's parody Three Ages is pretty good too).

>stop being so intolerant of my KKK propaganda film
Wrong film.

Why and how to these films look better than many films today? the Nosferatu vampire is still the best vampire by miles even in 2017.

They actually had to put effort into their movies.

Not him but Intolerance was named that because Griffith thought people were "intolerant" of his movie BoA.

>ffy

It's funny because Intolerance has the public perception of being his "apology" film for Birth of a Nation, but then you watch it and he paints Jews and Suffragists as the villains. I'd rather not open that can of worms in this thread, but it's like people don't even watch that film nowadays before praising it

I've seen only Metropolis from the 1920's, and I saw it with Pink Floyd and other similar music cut in instead of the original soundtrack. I enjoyed it moderately, but wouldn't do it again.

I actually agree. I think Broken Blossoms is his film that comes closest to progressive standards.
The original score is beautiful and Wagnerian. You should see it.

Jesus Christ you're a fucking moron.

yeah, faust blew me away

Now watch it with the original score by Gottfried Huppertz.

I find the Babylonian part absolutely fascinating. It's also really confusing with all this positive portrayal of Ishtar who was a slutty goddess of sex.

nothing to base the movies on. No tropes or lanes to follow. They had to put their thinking caps on and use all creativity/originality

Actually I was at house of a pretty big player in hollywood and he had a vault in his basement with copies of tons of shit throughout history. Dude had an original copy of this, one of the couple existing, he paid a grip for. Also had a home theater with a projected suited to old carbon films from that decade, so we went up there, turned off the lights and watched it

Here's another good Scandinavian film. It also has a really early Greta Garbo role before she went to Hollywood.

Yeah, no.

Was it hard to watch through his pubes?

Was it Weinstein?

Based Erik.

nah im serious. This is what happens when you have rich friends. Its not like i have a home theater

Probably not, they were just made like any other movie though, rather than being ghettoized.

ah interesting point

>ghettoized
What did you mean by this?

B U L L S H I T
U
L
L
S
H
I
T

the trash of the time weren't going to check out horror films. Everybody was

I don't know if that's true. Horror films were generally made multiple times by the same directors. In the early years Murnau started out as all gothic horror (as did all of germany for a good 5 years), Tod Browning only did horror, Roland West did horror and thriller stuff, James Whale touched on several genres but did 4 universal horrors.

It wasn't relegated to the low budget ghetto of today, but horror was always a bit of a side thing apart from other genres in the studio system

LONDSBARRO

Surprised no one mentioned the best telenovela of all time

Greed was mentioned by someone earlier ITT and it is pretty good. A shame it was edited so much though and the full length version will probably never be found.

dat is crepy....

This

Well, tell us something about the movie, then. How does it compare to other horror classics?

Phantom Carriage
Spite Marriage
the Gold Rush
the Big Parade
White Shadows in the South Seas

EASY: Joan of Arc
p.s. it still hold up well today.

>Both of those are pretty good.
No, one is the greatest artistic masterworks ever created, and one is generic adapatation of An American Tragedy.
>slapstick
>good
gas yourself
>Griffith was a moron
>defending niggers
Shalom, reddit!
>Metropolis
>Faust
Special effects showcases are not art.
>the ending to Metropolis
>that dumbfounded ludicrous sentimentality
*barf*
>Dreyer
*smirks
>Vidor, Seastrom, Chaplin, the list goes on!

What an insufferable, unloved, lonely cunt you must be.

Are you just being ironic or do you literally despise everyone but a handful of directors?

Chaney of course inhabits his character perfectly, and does a really creepy job of it. It was pretty standard fifties horror fare, and yeah it was good!

He lures two women into the depths of the london underworld, takes them into a wine cellar, takes them into this little marketplace/carnival that's happening int he "underworld", shows them the backalleys where prostitutes and shady characters are. And then he takes them into a mansion, lures them into this pitch black room, and they fall down some hole and he turns and grins at the camera. Very good aesthetic the whole time

ironic, unironically

No.
There is only one whom stands mightiest of all, one whose cunning is equal to his compassion, one whose shadow dominates with the power of a hundred suns, the one true and only
youtube.com/watch?v=GUuJt1U1GEQ&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=blADagkKVj4
youtube.com/watch?v=tej00K8Dwgg
youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5eQwoj4qE&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=xkrGBkNhXAo

Liar. I've seen you praise Stroheim and Murnau before.

The might of Griffith. The scant use of a closeup to emphasize connection. Never purely aesthetic, always deliberate. A technique that was once rejected as foolhardy and nonsensical has now been wholly consumed into the entire vernacular of a medium. Whole films are made of nothing but closeups watered down like overspent ejaculation, but with Griffith it meant something. The syntax has remained the same, yet we are so far from his vision.

Most of Murnau positively belongs in the trash. Griffith stands alone in his own class, his own medium. Griffith is not a pioneer. Many will regurgitate falsehoods that he is, but he is not. He is an originator in his own distinction. The magnitude and scope of his works can't be easily summarized. Griffith was a complex individual that led a complex life that ultimately bled into his work and challenged the viewer beyond cope. When unfamiliar and unseasoned minds are exposed to these ,if I may quote the master, sunplays, the instinctively reverberant feelings that dispel them are that of reported "boredom" or "emotional dissatisfaction". One does not passively engage with a Griffith work, they study it, they consume it, they learn from it.

Niggers, all these films re in the public domain.
You can safely download them and decide for
yourself.

archive.org/download/DreyersThePassionOfJoanOfArc/DreyersThePassionOfJoanOfArc_archive.torrent
archive.org/download/Intolerance/Intolerance_archive.torrent
archive.org/download/MetropolisFritzLang1927Remastered/MetropolisFritzLang1927Remastered_archive.torrent

archive.org/download/Greed1924VHS/Greed1924VHS_archive.torrent
>130min version

archive.org/download/ErichVonStroheimGreed1924/ErichVonStroheimGreed1924_archive.torrent
>4hour reconstruction

The Passion of Joan of Arc must be watched with the oratorio Richard Einhorn composed for it as the soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=TzuLCLdcym0

>I've never enjoyed a silent movie that wasn't comedy

You didn't enjoy Metropolis? I feel so sorry for you.

Most 1920s films are garbage because they're incredibly dated. The Penalty is top tier gangster film with Lon Chaney absolutely killing it.

Chaney was a great one. The Phantom of the Opera and the Unholy Three are pretty great as well.

Most films of any era are garbage.

The best lost film is the gay movie HIM, about a guy who had an erotic obsession with Jesus Christ

My nigga

Nosferatu still creeps me out

I saw Dr. Mabuse and it's as good as any movie made today, specially considering it's 4 hours long (in two parts).

Depends. If by "most" you mean the remembered/collected films, then no, you're wrong. "Most" of those films are timeless classics, as with most films between 1921 - 1933. After the Hays code came into effect, I would say it hampered and helped the film industry, it hampered it by neutering the potency of its images, but it helped it by forcing film makers to be more subtle. And also for some reason they still got away with a lot of shit in what is now known as the "noir" genre.

>Most 1920s films are garbage because they're incredibly dated.
That's only your (incorrect) opinion.

I do believe a private collector owns a copy, but I doubt you saw it

>I do believe a private collector owns a copy,
No, absolutely none in the world are known to exist but the script does exist and a still recreation was created by TCM. That guy is just lying out of his ass.

I love the work of Ladislas Starewitz, from the technical stand point making stop motion movies was ambitious enough but he made actually good plots on top of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=k5x0CLDWT7U

Any other lost films you wish were found?

So you only have read the wiki article of Intolerance? Fucking plebs.

>fifties horror fare
>fifties
Are you kidding me? If you are gonna LARP at least do your fucking research.

The Anvil Hoarder.