/STD/ General - Star Trek Discovery

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t8yME7uHU_s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Weird looking at youtube reviews of STD from vid to vid I notice alot of the same copy pasted comments. Is that new on youtube or normal?

Shoo shoo, Orvshills.

great list though I would consider Orville more high-mid and maybe hitch hikers more high ?

even TAS id say is better mid, the quality sucked, but the storeis and voice acting was great.

bodacious space pirates? urge to know more rising.

Looking forward to episode 5.

they really ripped off TOS a bit too much while not being creative enough and bankrupt imagination wise to make their designs match the time period or come up with anything new.

ugh, STD gets worse and worse with every episode, truly a first in history possibly.

I actually like this casting. This is about the only hope I have for any episodes in this shitshow, but they'll find a way to fuck him up too. Make him some kind of noble rogue even though we find him as a shitbag 10 years later. But here's to hoping!

Who is the best character in Star Trek, and why is it Chief Miles "Carve a spoon and make 'em swoon, The Ten Ton Terror Of Terok Nor, Cardies are lyin' if they aren't dyin'" O'Brien?

i wish we got more keiko stories, and miles. Would have taken a whole season watching loli keiko try to plant things and all that instead of watching one minute of STD.

>STD

I'm hoping they try to present him first as this "noble rogue" (with that speech he gives in the trailer) but then it's revealed he's just as ass who is in it only for himself.

If the theory about Ash Tyler is correct, then I think theres a good chance Mudd might be in on it.

What's the theory?

Ash Tyler is Federation character who's being held prisoner by the Klingons. He's going to be introduced next episode. If true it's a pretty big spoiler. The theory is that Ash Tyler = Voq the albino Klingon.

Javid Iqbal, the actor who's billed as playing Voq, hasn't appeared in any of the promotional material and doesn't seem to be a real person, while Shazad Latif, the actor who's going to play Ash Tyler, was originally cast as a Klingon character who's description matches Voq's. Latif was later allegedly recast to play Ash Tyler.

So, because an actor named Javid Iqbal doesn't actually appear to be working on the show, and Latif was originally cast as a Voq like character, Some people assume Latif is playing Voq and Tyler and that they're one in the same.

Ok so this sounds like something pretty lame that they would feel is the cleverest shit ever. I'd put $20 on that, given what we've seen so far. Another $5 on clever music when the reveal happens and credits roll.

>Klingons can do this level of body/face modification
>The augment virus still somehow stopped them from displaying their proud ridges
Sounds like a load of shit.
I buy it.

It's probably the augment virus that does it to him.

I am expecting the acting in ep5 to be the cast Just coming in talking while being hungover because there has been zero effort so far

how does that failed mummy writer get jobs?

I get that he is jewish like all the writers on STD but why use a loser, why cant they find any of the other million writers who arent failures, it just feels like they chose him because hes jewish and were racist against hiring anyone else.

No wonder this show sucks when its made by literal box office losers, people who have so many failures on their record but due to jewish privilege none of that matters.

I heard the KLingons ate out Captain Yo

I hadn't heard that theory, but yeah, that actually does make a lot of sense.

Threadly reminder to not reply to anyone arguing about acronyms, or anyone using the word "jew" in any capacity whatsoever

But the threads would die if it weren't for them. There is nothing worth talking about in the shitty show. Nothing interesting happening. No interesting characters.

>or anyone using the word "jew" in any capacity whatsoever
Ferengi detected

first time hearing this and it makes too much sense

STD is going to basically be Cross Ange. You know I'm right.

The real STD's hours

STD wishes it could be that awesome or have a super meido

BSG that low? Im loving the first season

So Lt. Daft Punk will return on another sister ship of Discovery as Section 31 operative?

Would be great.

BSP is exactly what it sounds like.A girl inherits her fathers Writ of Marque letting her become a privateer. She brings her classmates in on the action. Heavy (sometimes subtle) lesbian leanings.

I like Orville but its a bit predictable and I have issues with Seth McFarland.
TAS is there mostly as the stories tend to brush me the wrong way. Again though, just personal preference.

Low Mid is thing I like to watch, I enjoy the spectacle but not necessarily most the writing/plot. Like Lexx, I kept watching, it never offended me, but it just was not going anywhere and relied on shock value after a while.

Please, tell me more.

meant for
And yea, I watched the BSG with my roommate when it first came out and this back in the Lost era and I joked right then bet they're all Cylons.
I have never encountered a more easy to predict show that has so little staying power. I remember most star trek even the bad parts, yet now I retain nothing about BSG; it relied totally on early 2000's tropes to tell a story and I was already familiar with most of those.
It was edgy for the sake of such, Had twists for the sake of such (as they were in vogue at the time) and had mediocre acting. I like the original version of the show better hack and camp and all. At least the original cast was having fun.

This. We already agreed that it's DIS. NO MORE abbreviation sperging

It doesn't even matter, since everyone searches for "dis[covery]" in the catalog. Nothing but autism

Is Michael Burnham a Mary Sue?

How did this show even get made? How is it possible to have writing this terrible for a show that cost 10 million per episode?

The name of the general should be /Discovery/. It's the least autistic option.

thats a nice photoshop you did flipping the vote like that with no link to the original poll user.

It has and will always be STD per the fans looking at real polls.

More about the Space pirates? Not much to say, it's an over the top spectacle. More or less in order to keep her pirates license she has to do piratical things at least once a month (as I recall) BUT she's also trying to finish highschool and of course shenanigans ensue. More or less pirates are hired by space liner passenger companies to give their well paying customers a good show (among other things)
More or less part of the Virgin Cruise liner experience of THE FUTURE is getting raided by pirates. So that's why the pirate crew all dress so over the top.
Getting raided by a cute, underage pirate captain is just a bonus for some.

Nah. Nobody really likes her all that much and she relies on others for help.

nice photoshop

No it's the same poll as yours. /DIS/ was winning until you posted the poll in /orville/

personally i prefer /disco/

She's too hated (by those in universe AND out)
In the fact that things just seem to oddly work out for her she is, so she has an aspect of a sue. But while she is a deplorable character and traitor who should be in the stockade she's not (quite) a sue.
Though if people keep defending her poor action for no reason then we might have to upgrade her.

shiny!
youtube.com/watch?v=t8yME7uHU_s

So . . the poll was ruined by adding a bigger section of people?
. . do you know what polling is?

THAT is a handy little image.

Its the time period of the Klingon / Federation wars, i see this series really going places. We are only at the beginning yet but i see great character development ahead.

Most of the Star Trek series so far (tos, tng, ds9, voy, ent) had their characters set from the start, this series however i see the federation at dire straits and the heroes has to adapt a lot.

Maybe all federation directives are not written in stone yet, we are before Kirk (but after Enterprise) and Kirk was a cowboy to say the least.

I hope few antiheroes will forward the plots a lot.

Ok create another one and post it to reddit. The more the merrier

lets make more polls till I get what I want.

geez these people trying to change the way things are seem like children crying to get what they want.

Not saying you are, hell the polls dont even matter, if a poll is needed to stop all the fans from calling it STD then a poll isnt really going to change anything when even the media calls it STD.

They're already here:

I already got what I wanted here

STD used the license from Bad Robot meaning the license is through Paramount which means it is kelvin timeline.

CBS execs can say its prime timeline all they want but legally it is not prime timeline since STD is not made using the prime timeline license from CBS.

/timeline debate

Why didn't CBS release the whole season so people could binge watch? Binges are part of the reason Netflix got so wildly popular. Why wouldn't CBS follow that model?

Probably so people wouldn't just sign up for a trial and watch the whole thing and unsubscribe after that.

They want permanent subscribers for their shitty streaming service.

. . you wanted a badly done shooop?

Also what? Nooo . . .

Yea, instead people have signed up, watched the first episodes and THEN unsubscribed. Waaayyy better.

I wanted to create a "/Discovery/ general" but OP won't let me. He keeps creating threads 80 posts before the bump limit

As I recall half the reason for Discovery was CBS making it's control of anything star trek TV and trying to get their shit stream up and running despite also having to take millions from Netflix anyway.
Bad Robot has had nothing to do with STD.

>photoshopping it

Wow, you really are ass reckt. lol

>we must have another election!!!!

cares just enough to fake, not enough to fake well.
Don't know what to think. Have a random image from my response folder.

Whew, do you know what sample bias is? I don't even have a dog in this race, I don't care what it's called, but if you double the cross-section of the sample by only polling people biased against the topic, your enlarged sample size is worthless.

Meaning there.

Even if it was faked, it looks like 2 out of 3 polls say it is /STD/.

>only allow Hillary voters to vote in the election
>no one else is allowed, no cross-sampling allowed

Cross-sampling by posting it in both threads is good enough.

I never voted so +1 for STD.

So you can't like Orville and Discovery? That's like saying you can't like Trek pre Abrams but hate Trek post Abrams.

I never voted so +1 for DIS

You can also like both Sup Forums and Reddit. That's why all Sup Forums polls should also be posted on Reddit

*sips tea*

*places tea cup back onto saucer*

*readjusts glasses*

*clears throat*

.....well, drumpflerinas?

Neither of these things are accurate to what I said. You either need to go off right now and learn how polling works, or stop posting.

We're not going to sperg at your faked tweet, sweetie

GITS:SAC should be with Cowboy Bebop

>This from someone who just displayed their absolute lack of understanding of how polling works.

Sure thing, kid.

Not proper space dramai. Post human scifi sure, but not space enough.

This isn't house of cards, what are they thinking?

It's like they forgot what star trek is or something and are just tossing up every recently successful trope

>people like TheOrville more than DIS
>them racist!

>people unironically pining for a section 31

As if it'll make any fucking difference to anything

It won't magic away all of the bullshit, it's just an organisation that grimdark babbys want to see, regardless of context

I like Orville because they don't seem to be taking themselves seriously and having fun just making shows.
Discovery is trying waaaayyyy too hard to be dark and edgy and dramatic and HBO Lite.

I'd like the Orville more if their fans stayed in their own threads and quit shitting up these threads.

The sad thing about Space Pirates is that with the level of love they put in in the details and other small things it could have been so much better. Instead we got a school girl that is carried by her crew because she's too incompetent herself. The worst part of the show is the MC.

Again, the hate based on 'if you don't like it then you MUST BE against Trek!'

I think people are secretly ashamed that a done on the fly, in a quarter the development time and half the budget show by Seth FuckingMCfarland is more Trek than the Actual Trek is.

>u-uh oh, he got me. I'll call him a kid, that'll throw him off
Weak.

She picks it up in the movie and second series.

Sure thing, kid.

Touched a nerve there I think.

>show by Seth FuckingMCfarland is more Trek than the Actual Trek is
I'll give you that, Orville is definitely more Trek than actual Trek. That's also its downfall: it's Trek to the point of total banality. It's a dull rehash of TNG with a few weak jokes scattered about to try and throw us all off the scent.

Character building and changing then? Is it to the scale of that one anime where NEET guy dies and keeps getting brought back to life x days before his death in some medieval world? Because god damn, that was some real deep psychological trauma and character development.

Never said or implied that.

Sure thing, kid.

>anime where NEET guy dies and keeps getting brought back to life x days before his death in some medieval world

That's "Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World"

I only remember the first season although I'm sure I watched the movie and season 2. The best part about the show is, as always, the OP, anyway.

True. I like the show but even then it's more the same ol ol.
I was hoping for a nice looking modern Trek; good effects and lots of nice planet side scenes, a whole crew to get to know perhaps even a cameo or three.
Instead we're getting a GoT wannabe IN SPESS with DRAMATIC SJW judo chop action!