HERE'S WHY 2049 BOMBED AT THE BOX OFFICE

Many of you will say that it's because (based on demographic studies) this type of film only attracts males and more precisely, hardcore fans of the original.

Females didn't gave a shit for it, teens (male or female) would rather see Transformers.

BUT !!!!!!!

Here's where you're wrong. You're all forgetting people like this guy:
youtube.com/watch?v=ES6jTsZ4NQs

In other words, the mentally ill. The ones who hated 2049 BEFORE it was even produced/released and thought it was not only a bad idea to have a sequel but also an insult to the perfect original. To some, it's basically like a religion. Like this guy, they can't talk about this film like rational people would because they're too emotionally attached to Ridley's film.

And so, many people like this guy shitted on the film. BOYCOTTED the film out of principal. (watched a pirated copy of the film, which btw runs at 2h15minutes, so it's not even the complete version. + has shit image and sound quality.) But it doesn't matter, because he would've crapped on the film had he seen it in IMAX. He's passionate about it. (i.e. not rational). And it's useless to try and reason with people like him because they're basically no different than SJWs. Only for movies. They think that you're an idiot and that Villeneuve is a hack anyway. (and that all his films are shit).

Now, if you do the experience and just read some of the comments, you'll also notice that 90% of his audience can't think for themselves...And the ones that do agree with him either haven't seen it, or watched the pirated version. Or watched it and thought it was boring as fuck, pretentious & stupid. In other words it's an echo chamber.

CONCLUSION ?
When you take into account the following:
No teens (rated R plus too boring for them)
Not family oriented.
Women don't give a shit about it.
Purists (who'll watch the shitty pirated version or won't be able to watch the film without comparing every seconds to the original) =

BOX OFFICE BOMB

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=acBnLMRIAD0
youtube.com/watch?v=D0u6Lb6RCz4
youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Type of comments you'll find. It's basically an echo chamber where you'll find people who saw it but hated it (thought it was boring shit). Others who pîrated the film (which is a 2h15min version with horrible image and sound quality) and and didn't like it...
Then you have the one who can't think for themselves or (like the reviewer) are already psychologically prepared to hate it no matter what...

Here's a sample.

Here's more..As you can see, it's very easy to understand why the film was doomed to fail.

It had a lot of people against it to begin with...
Tv is not a representation of what the average viewer thinks of Villeneuve's film.

Most think he's a shit director and a hack

>The video game will always be the true sequel.

Which one?

>Which one?
youtube.com/watch?v=acBnLMRIAD0

I doubt the presence or absence of a few thousand "hardcore" Bladerunner fans could have an impact on the success or failure of Bladerunner 2049 at the box office. I think attempting to reboot a relatively ancient and never mainstream SF IP by tacking "2049" onto the title and hiring a hack director was probably a bigger influencing factor, plus the fact this sombre, ass-numbingly long and downbeat story didn't generate any positive word of mouth from the few people that did go and see it.

The small target audience for this movie, sadly, are also the demographic most likely to stay at home and watch a torrent on their laptop rather than shell out to see this in an actual cinema.

i don't think anyone expected it to be a massive hit. i don't know anyone irl who even saw the original. it's too obscure, and the trailers showed something that looked like an action movie with no plot because denis didn't want to spoil anything. it's a shame because the movie really is great, but also good that they don't do another sequel.

>three hour long dystopian sci-fi movie
Did anyone think this was going to do gangbusters?

>a reboot of a popcorn movie that originally flopped at the box office
hmmmmmmmmm I wonder how that could possibly go wrong

>I doubt the presence or absence of a few thousand "hardcore" Bladerunner fans could have an impact on the success or failure of Bladerunner 2049 at the box office.

You are underestimating the impact of these people. I'm not American, and even in my country i read similar types of comments. They'll find all the reasons in the world why the movie is worthless garbage...No reeding quality. They'l nitpick it like hell...Because they worship the original and can't rationally view the sequel like a normal person would. (i.e. without being too emotionally involved in it). People who shitted on the film just by looking at the trailer...THEN pirated a shitty copy and still thought it was garbage...Or, who went to the cinema while being prepared to fucking hate it.

They're not rational about it.
Take the reviewer of 2049 for instance.
He actually enjoyed Star wars the force awakens (though it's a remake of a New Hope) and thought Nolan's Dark knight rises is at its worst, a 7 or 8/10.

And i don't think he's even a hypocrite, it's just that he can't watch a blade runner film like a normal person, since he considers the original to be the best film ever. There's nostalgia involved too...

So the film pissed of a lot of people. Tv/ is seriously underestimating the impact of these people..

>>a reboot of a popcorn movie
Now user, don't con me

That's an American problem. Here (Europe) BR2049 is recognized for the kino it is.

Americans = Virgin movie goers
Europeans = Chad kino connoisseurs

I'd be more apt to listening to Razorfist's opinion had he not blocked me on twitter for calling him out. He said he only made one video about BR 2049 going to suck, but I told him that was bullshit because he kept forcing """""jokes""""" about BR 2049 going to suck in a shit ton other videos. He quoted my tweet and said something like "Yeah, slick? Show me." So I told him the videos where he did just that (his Observer review, Technomancer review, Deus Ex Mankind Divided review, and something else). Then he just straight blocked me. No reply, no mentioning it in another tweet. Nothing. He's a little bitch that can't handle being called out when he's lying and wrong.

hah gottem

look at his twitter
That faggot went in knowing he was going to hate it. he was biased since day one and hes never admit when he has been wrong before

What really upsets me is how nowadays people are almost rooting for a film to bomb just because... Whatever. It's insane.
BR 2049 just proved how irrational ppl here are. Most of the initial critics here where by ppl who didn't even watched the film. Then came the ones who watched but are so brainlets that they tried to bad mouth the movie based on plot holes that, if they had any kind of attention spam, were already subtly answered in the film itself.
All of them got BTFO, and now what remains is some cringe inducing redditors trying to prove Villeneuve is a hack. They even go as far as saying that Villeneuve had barely any part in making the movie to fit their narrative. They even try to explain Sup Forums what a film director is.

People go full retard if it fits their narrative.

Anyway, I'm happy I got to see one of the very best kinos in recent years.
There is a main plot, easy to follow, and there is a lot of deeper stuff that you can find out on your own with multiple subtle clues around given around the scenes.

9/10

>Sup Forums makes fun of blade runner sequel before it comes out
>now everyone loves it

The movie actually did really well in the UK

Sup Forums has been doing this for quite some time, desu, same with IT. It's basically a metric to see how good a film will be.

>Then he just straight blocked me. No reply, no mentioning it in another tweet. Nothing. He's a little bitch that can't handle being called out when he's lying and wrong.

The point remains...No matter what you think of the guy, he's too emotionally involved, no wonder he banned you. But anyway, all i'm saying is that many are underestimating the number of purists who boycotted 2049.

So when you take these people into account + women, + too long for most viewers + Rated R ...It was a disaster waiting to happen.

We like IT now?

Fuck them all. Let them get triggered and lose the last parts of logic they had. This movie is a classic and it'll be remembered as one.

The reason it bombed is because it was good

Sup Forums only started hating IT when rlm didn't like it

Am britbong, I went to a saturday night screening on an IMAX theatre (~300 seats or more), not a single one was left empty.

Americlaps are making it bomb, the UK liked it.

maybe it just sucked?

Huh? Either Sup Forums wanted it to bomb and disliked the looks of it or they changed their mind? not both? I had the same thoughts as rlm after seeing the movie, it was overrated for sure.

>purists
the word you were looking for is "faggots"

>He's a Trump supporter

What did you expect, an informed opinion?

maybe Sup Forums is more than one person with differing opinions

Maybe you shouldn't try talking about general consensus's if you can't even follow your own thought train.

t. Didn't watch it

My IMAX in aus was pretty damn packed too and there is a lot of word of talk of the movie too. I was surprised to hear it was failing in america.

>maybe it just sucked?
Look man, i'm not saying you're wrong and i'm right.. Not pretending to have an objective opinion all our opinions are subjective.

But that's not my point.
All i'm saying (regardless if you loved or hated the film), is that too many people underestimated the hardcore-religious like fans of the original, who were already prepared to fucking it before it was even released.

As a matter of fact, i ALSO thought it was a pretty bad idea when i first heard of this project. (back then, it was supposed to be originally directed by Nolan...Then Villeneuve was hired instead).

I personally still the film a chance based on that director's pedigree. (i actually enjoyed Arrival, Sicario, Icendies, Enemy and Prisoners).

So i gave 2049 a chance. (and also liked it btw).
All i'm saying is that too many people underestimate the number of people who boycotted the film. a film which was aimed at them...for the fans. But half of the fans thought it was an insult before seeing it.

>females aren't interested in seeing Ryan Gosling for 3 hours

>I personally still the film a chance
still gave

>who were already prepared to fucking it
fucking hate it

>Tv/ is seriously underestimating the impact of these people..
No, you're overestimating the impact. The amount of people who wouldn't have been going to see it anyway, which is a lot of people, and a lot more than entitled and stuck-up megafans of the original, are the reason it didn't sell.

Well, he does ignore every 3d girl there to keep faithful to his 2d waifu.

>No, you're overestimating the impact.
I saw the same thing in my country. Knowing this...+ US fans, i don't see why my country and Amercia happen to be the only two exceptions.

Again, i'm not saying it's the only reason. I'm well aware that it's not a film for everyone. (the average public). But too many forgot the religious like-purist fanboys.

This might be the only time I'd agree with this Europoor

Well Sup Forums thought IT would flop
Where as Sup Forums thought Blade Runner 2049 was going to be awful and be like a marvel CapeShit Quip Action Flick

>Again, i'm not saying it's the only reason.
So why can't you accept that the likelihood of this being the main reason, the actual killing blow, is pretty fucking slim?

Half the population being told "this movie hates women" is in itself far more likely. Consider that Blade Runner is an old movie now, a fair number of people who went to see it are adults in a relationship/married, and they'd probably have a tough time selling it to their significant other.

Amerifats just can't into Kino

Well probably more Americans saw it in pure numbers even if the percentage was lower
America has a lot of Mexicans in it.

Well, the trailer indeed looked like a generic action movie, no one could expect that it will be one of the best Sci Fi movies ever made.

>Well, the trailer indeed looked like a generic action movie
What trailer did you watch that could have given that impression?

It's because cinemas now frown on people taking piss jugs to longer movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=D0u6Lb6RCz4

>one of the best Sci Fi movies ever made.
How long till this stops?

Oh, you're right, I remembered wrongly
youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

It's because a Sci-Fi dystopia is paradise compared to Britain.

But that's my actual opinion. I would rate it even above 2001, the Plot attached me on a personal level and if I can say that about a movie, why should I wouldn't like it?

>10 seconds of "action" interspersed in a 2 minute trailer
You're a fucking mong.

>Sup Forums is one person
treating crowds like an individual is incredibly retarded.
are you a woman or something?

Name a few better scifis.
BR2049 is one of the best ever made.

Like I said, I remembered wrong.

And it was wrong in both cases

You can't argue Sup Forums posters don't tend to parrot a single opinion which happens to be popular throughout the board though

HOLLYWOOD IS TRASH AND MOST THEATERS ARE GARBAGE AND I CANT PAUSE IT OR REWIND

I would have gone to see it multiple times and numerous people I know would have as well but theaters are shit even the best one in my major city is a nigger infested shit hole full of crowds that hoot and holler during screenings. I'll stick to watching cam rips at 240p until I can but full quality versions of the rare gems that aren't total shit.

>youtube comments representing most people's views
most people don't know who villeneuve is, and the majority of people that have seen his movie like them going by all metrics available.

>reboot
>hack director
fucking idiot

I guess it's gonna be a while

like it all you want, just stop calling it one of the best of all time.

On the arbitrary scale of Inception (not bad) to Interstellar (trash), 2049 sits about halfway between

It flopped because of Gosling. All his movies tank. Even La la land didn’t make much considering it was nominated for an academy.

>I think attempting to reboot a relatively ancient and never mainstream SF IP by tacking "2049" onto the title and hiring a hack director

Jusr curious. (not judging you or anything) but i'd like to know something. Tell me, why do you think Villeneuve is a "hack director" ?

If the guy who directed:
Prisoners, Incendies, Sicario, Arrival & Enemy is a hack, i'm interested to know what was your favorite film of the year ?
And so you actually hated all of the guy's films then ?

There's plenty of top comments on that video pointing out that the dude was never going to like no matter what.

It's because it was made for cis white males, not enough of you to make it a success and I for one am glad that your numbers are running out

>Inception
Nah. Not at all.

Sup Forumss reaction br 2049 has opened my eyes. i am shocked by the overwhelming positive reactions to this extremely mediocre film.

truly Sup Forums is full of plebs

>It flopped because of Gosling. All his movies tank. Even La la land didn’t make much considering it was nominated for an academy.

That chick flick he did "Crazy, Stupid, Love."
Actually did pretty good.
Domestic Total Gross: $84,351,197 + $58,500,000 foreign gross

(for a film budgeted at $50 million)

Not going to argue, but that's the level we should be talking here

surely it's temporary

>i am shocked by the overwhelming positive reactions to this extremely mediocre film.

Ok, so you say it was extremely mediocre.
So what was your favorite film of the year then ? I'm always curious to discover underrated gems.

Many people say the film is utter shit yet don't mention their favorite 2017 films

It is because Sup Forums is full of people that share the hivemind mentality.They cant think for themselves.

you haven't seen it

Is this adhd?

>pleb larping as patrician

I didn't mind watching de Armas for 3 hours... She's so fugging pretty

people want it to bomb because they are sick of reboots and grotesque fan service like digital tarkin and rachel

Never heard of this goy but he makes some good points about the lack of noir and the over abundance of exposition. Part of the brilliance of the original is the "show dont tell" aspect and villenevue kinda threw that all out to appeal to the MSA

I think you mean two hours ;)

There was a sequel to the book so I was curious if 2049 ties into that at all?

>So what was your favorite film of the year then ?
I don't have it. I haven't seen a good film in a while. Film art is basically dead.

Please post more aesthetic art like this.

The CGI Rachel had an actual point in the story, Tarkin in Rogue One wasn't really necessary.

Why didn't they bring back the original Rachel?

It was Sean Young though, they just CGI'd the fuck out of her

Also her character from the original is dead

Also she's old as fuck now, why would they try to tempt Deckard with an old replicant rather than play on his memories of the last time he saw her

The kind of people you're talking about are so few in number they sould make no difference. Not only that, but a person like that is probably more likely to want to watch BR2049 than an average person is.

shes an antisemite

Google Jean Giraud/Mobius. Specifiaclly a graphic novel he did with Alejandro Jodorowsky called The Incal. Its what was used for the inspiration for the original BRs design.

I can answer this in a sentence. It was an R rated movie that was 3 hours long. See how easy that was?

People are simply too jewed and want more diverse star wars rehash, that's all. Youngsters are phone zombies who want jumpscare shit, that's all, actually there was like nobody under 25 in my theater when I went to see it. I'm not even sure original Blade Runner was a success at the time, and even if it was, it would bomb today also.

Wait

If Harrison ford was a cylon then why didn't he have super strength/stamina/constitution like all the others? Also wouldn't goose be able to tell? He seemed to have some sort of inherent ability to identify replicants.

That scene was just fan service. It could have been cut and the story would make just as much sense

There were a few in mine but they would constantly yawn and pull out their phones. Left after 45 minutes. Damned shame.

No. Deckard rejecting it is pretty important.

>People are simply too jewed and want more diverse
fucking idiot that's an extreme vocal minority

Original flopped. It was always a cult classic though it was just ahead of its time and people were just getting into the swing of the summer blockbuster garbage that Jaws and Star Wars started.

>I can answer this in a sentence. It was an R rated movie that was 3 hours long. See how easy that was?

IT was R rated...
Grossed $310,839,521

Not really. We already know he'd sacrifice everything for the child.

>1 hour 30 min
okay

>i don't think anyone expected it to be a massive hit
The studio that gave away $180 million might have