Star Trek /Discovery/ General

New episode tonight. Where is everyone?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/ftoawv.webm
my.mixtape.moe/xvqlci.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(physics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's a real cool poster. If only the show looked like that

Ummmm, sweetie? It's DIS. Stop pandering to magapede Sup Forumstards by trying to compromise with them.

It's /DIS/, fucking deal with it

How many episodes will you give this show before you drop it?

>it's a "michael talks down to the crew because she thinks she's better than everyone else" episode

really puts the DISCO into DISCOvery.

Tbf she has a very high IQ

Has CBS stopped paying their shills or is this show really this undefendable?

/DIS/ is disney, sweetheart. how immature are you that you don't want people to say STD? HURR HURR sexual transmitted disease!! grow up

Nope. Sorry "sweetie", but it's STD. And just like an STD, you should deal with it.

What are you talking about? Haters get BTFO in every thread

>even shill central is starting to crumble

/discovery/ is unbiased. That's why it's the best name for the general

IT'S /DIS/ REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wow I can't see a god damn fucking thing in that picture. They didn't have enough budget left for proper lighting?

>it's _____ REEEEEE

every thread

>hurr why is space dark

STD

rlm made it popular to criticize in-universe references

what a waste of digits

they probably didn't want to spend the entirety of their budget on lens flares like abrams did

>it's a Literally Any Other Show's Theme Song Fits Better With The Opening Credits episode

my.mixtape.moe/ftoawv.webm

/STD/ general is objectively the best name desu

>I want my characters to be one dimensional
Pretty shit tier argument there m8. Because I'm clearly stating that what pisses me off is not that she has sides to her, it's that she fluctuates inconsistently between opposing sites. The show goes to great lengths stating multiple times that despite being born human she went trough all the vulcan training and is now basically just like a vulcan, emotionless and logical. The show TELLS us that. but what the show SHOWS us is a woman that cries in the first episode, and has her agenda driven by an emotional impulse every episode so far, rather than a logical one, yet it still acts like she's is basically vulcan.

It's not that I hate my characters having dimensions, it's that I hate my character being inconsistent while the world around her doesn't seem to notice.

while writing there is something called "show don't tell". If something in a movie stinks, don't just have someone exclaim "Yuck, it stinks in here!" like a fucking idiot, you can SHOW that by showing the characters facial expression, them covering their mouth, turning around and similar things.
Meanwhile with Star Trek the show keeps TELLING me that burnham is basically a kick ass vulcan, devoid of emotion and fueled by logic, but what the show keeps SHOWING me is Burnham crying and raging and suffering and being empathic even to starship killing monsters.
And that juxtaposition creates a narrative disconnect every time she does anything.

>ESS
>TEE
>DEE

When they said it was going to be a darker take on the trek universe, they actually meant less lighting.

So is it good?

What the fuck were they thinking with this title sequence?

i'm just imagining some fat old studio producer watching Westworld, picking up the phone and saying "I WANT THAT"

She is tho
As stupid as that retarded vulcan bastard is, the rest of the crew manages to be stupider
Security doggess died for her stupidity, took too many stupid pills and overdosed on them

>lmao i'm gonna open the cage hold my beer

i would've been angry if she HADN'T died

It has potential, but the four episodes that have aired so far have been extremely mediocre (first two) to alright (last two). Though, some people in this thread will tell you it's the worst tv show ever made.

>Where is everyone?
I'm here, OK?

Somebody please make more /dis/ Disney generals. That needs to be a thing.

my.mixtape.moe/xvqlci.webm

hate her

Hello fellow Trek fans (live long and prosper, hehe)

Anyone else excited for tonight's exciting and action packed episode? I'm hoping Michael teaches that rotten no-good Harry Mudd about gender equality and how its bad to objectify women the way he does!

m8 i just hate that she brings that black sass into her acting. she did that shit in the walking dead too. the DA FUCK HE JUS SAY??? OH NO HE DIDNT any time someone said something she didn't like. basically pissed off 100% of the time

Were you born this autistic, or did it develop later in life?

now give it a song that fit the atmosphere of the show

that's pretty uncanny

youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

Not really. It's not TERRIBLE, but it's basically mediocre.
The whole thing feels like it should have been a standalone show, They went so far with changes that it doesn't really feel like Star Trek any more and you wonder why they DIDN'T make it it's own thing.
For me the worst offence is the weak science. I can forgive having a more action focused Star Trek. I understand that the days of "Go down to a planet, learn a lesson about life, reset" days are kinda over or at least unpopular these days, but to me it seems like they allocated the science adviser budget into the makeup department. Right away it starts with: "The ship can't detect life signs trough this storm" but they draw a fucking tiny sign in the sand and the ship can sense that???. Just in the latest episode they pulled a Big Bang theory by saying that a ship jumped into a "Hawking radiation firewall" which pancaked them. That's just two fucking sciency-theories dumbed together into one thing: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(physics) and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation that had NOTHING to do with the actual situation. It's pure bullshit.
Personally I also find it hard to be emotionally invested into any of these terrible characters. Burnham is an emotional unlikable dick, Saru is basically just there to either be proven wrong or to deliver dumb morals. The rest is also rather unimpressive.
I'd honestly recommend "The Expanse" over this. Fuck, if you want a good hard sci-fi time I recommend the books over the show actually.

>weak science
That's every Star Trek series ever made. Star Trek practically invented technobabble.

Will be looking for BASED Mega poster tonight after it airs so I can watch it after baseball. I actually watch the Orville to get my laughs and TNG fix then watch STD with a cleansed palette.

Last weeks episode was step down I thought but I still hold out hope. One thing they do right is present the 'simpler' future tech well. The opening with the clouds/storms that zoom out to be a uniform in the replicator and also the part where she is using a 'mirror' were cool.

I'm going to need a 1:30 edit of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and a picture of the Tardigrade smoking a hookah made out of one of the spore canisters.

this.

obviously while they couldn't find the captain and first officer's life signs, Saru was reconfiguring the deflector dish to emit an inverse-polarity tetryon pulse.

I really hated the last episode. There is no hope, it's everything I feared it would be.

The older the series, the more I'm willing to forgive it to be honest. Original Star Trek smuggled in costumes made by a sweatshop. They went to north carolina twice because they still had the sets there from "The Andy griffith show" (Can you imagine the Discovery team beaming down to the Big Bang Theory or NCIS set for an episode to save some budget?)
So I'm not that mad that specially ToS had some bullshit science, but even then I feel like that show put in SOME effort by either straight up inventing some new science (Dilithium for example) or by having something related and plausible as an option (certainly not always).
But fuck, [current year argument] actually works these days. It's SUPER easy to get a decent science advisor for your show, fuck these days any faggot on set can google real quick and find ANYTHING that makes sense rather than just fucking flinging science words together.

And also: It's not like we didn't criticize the older star treks for technobabble deus ex machinas that save the day, so I'm not quite sure why "That's every Trek" is a good excuse.

This. It is spot on.

They was so obsessed with their hateful progressive agenda that they forgot about writing a good story. It just became a mirror of their own resentment.

It's interesting to see how The political correctness results in a dark mirror version of Star Trek.

Why is the main character called Micheal?

Are they supposed to be a female to male trans? Then why wear makeup and walk with a female hipsway??

Tonight I will be watching reruns on Adult Swim. STD sucks.

would rather take a diarrhea publicly while a monkey takes a mean fart on my face than watch this shit show

Tell me you never met people fucked up like that.

Michael opened the cage after that, holding a canister of food to an angry and hungry animal, but she was shielded by plot armor.

thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread.

Bryan Fuller likes giving female characters male names

Lol no.

I mean.. Burnham is basically the personification of being trans.
"Was born human but grew up and converted to vulcan" They even gave her a male name for fucks sake, in case not everyone got it the first time. I mean.. The Klingons are kinda obviously white supremacist Trump supporters with "Remain Klingon" being basically "White Power" "Make Murrica great again" and it's all just so... one sided. That's the biggest flaw for me. In ToS it was always: "You may have a different culture that is weird to us and we don't agree with, but as starfleet we are to respect it, not to judge it"
In Discovery the Klingons actually have a fucking point about fearing to be assimilated.

Reminder
TOS fags hate it because it looks futuristic unlike their 60s crap
TNG fags hate it because is gritty and not le comfy
DS9 fags hate it because it tackles war in a serious manner unlike theri soap opera, sorry no baseball or ferengi wacky episode in the middle of the greatest war in federation history
VOY fags hate it because it has actual interestin female characters unlike Janeway and Fanserviceo9
ENT fags hate it because it isn't a disaster like their show

*braps your path*

but kes was an interesting character

>"Klingons are violent it's their nature"

Wow racist much

No one likes STD

my gf loves trek and she lost interest at episode 3, I gave 4 a chance

both dropped it now

How would Janeway react to Lorca? She's also a psychopath but not as consistent about it

>falling for it

>/Discovery/ general
This is /STD/ general. /discovery/ general is for Discovery channel shows queer

One of the characters I never liked in TNG was Riker, because of the way he always folded when under pressure.

Where does this show fit in the canon? I know they've said it takes place in the main timeline and not in the JJverse, but in the actual show everything matches the JJ movies and not any of the TV series. Every other show (except VOY?) had at least one episode where you see a TOS ship or character. They were all very clearly connected and part of the same timeline. I don't see how discovery can be considered part of that timeline.

By now we should all agree that canon is irrelevant. Just enjoy the never-ending ride of Star Trek canon violations.

How do you know Discovery would be shit?
The Prime directive:
>noninterference with other cultures and civilizations. At its core was the philosophical concept that covered personnel should refrain from interfering in the natural, unassisted, development of societies, even if such interference was well-intentioned. The Prime Directive was viewed as so fundamental to Starfleet that officers swore to uphold the Prime Directive, even at the cost of their own life or the lives of their crew.
Meanwhile Discovery Episode 1:
>Lets bomb open this well so this species survives
HOW CAN YOU START YOUR TREK SHOW BY CASUALLY BREAKING THE FUCKING PRIME DIRECTIVE WITHOUT ANYONE QUESTIONING IT? It's like.. the ONE thing that again and again and again comes up in every Trek. This is SUCH a basic thing and for what? For a dumb "I'm so clever I drew in the sand" moment.
>Some thing is blocking our sensors!
>"Imma put on a suit and walk at it. hold mah beer m8"
>proceeds to space-walk at it
>lose contact
>OMG WE LOST CONTACT!!!!
NO. FUCKING. SHIT. It was jamming you before how the fuck did you expect you would be able to stay in contact with burnham? HOW ARE YOU SURPRISED BY THIS?
>you have 20 minutes until the radiation unravels your DNA like noodles (fucking what?)
>at 12minutes 48 she hasn't even reached it, meaning the whole time on there she has less than 3 minutes to look at it and then piss off back to the ship. (which she doesn't)
>completely fucked up by radiation
>lol don't care walk to bridge
>have a bit more of the anti-radiation nap and the problem is gone forever.
If radiation is such a non issue why were they so pissy about her going out? At least the expanse faggots have to take cancer drugs for the rest of their life after being exposed to high radiation.
>Klingons speak klingon the whole time instead of switching to english to make it NON cancer on our ears.
I'm sorry but Klingon sounds like arse and these actors can't deliver a decent performance that way.

I like how you wrote that JUST before my huge rant that starts off with MUH PRIME DIRECTION!

>TFW Discovery is the only Star Trek series that isn't slow, boring, pretentious tedium

I can't though. Other shows have made mistakes but this is the first show where every single aspect doesn't fit with the others. And I mean that's fine, I'm only talking about the timeline, not about whether he show is good or bad. My problem is that officially this is part of the same timeline, but in practice it isn't at all.

They are obviously lying, like, HOPE and MAGA. Look what they do, not what they say.

well its completely ignores ENT

The Klingon story is actually interesting.
I hope it ends with Voq journey leading him to take leadership over Klingon Empire and declaring peace with Federation.

>STD
You faggots are the laughing stock of Sup Forums.

threadly reminder michael is going to mind-meld with the giant tardigrade and become the ship's navigator

>except VOY?

>The Prime directive:
Always violated.
>>Lets bomb open this well so this species survives
Because Federation made it endangered in the first place by mining accident.
>HOW CAN YOU START YOUR TREK SHOW BY CASUALLY BREAKING THE FUCKING PRIME DIRECTIVE WITHOUT ANYONE QUESTIONIN
Your autism is very strong.

Watch the fucking episodes with more fucking care.

They didn't break shit, much less the prime directive. "The ambient radiation from a nearby meteor drilling accident dried out their water table."

The federation fucked up their planet, they are there to fix their fuckup, not to intervene in their natural development. I won't even read the rest, like 90% of anti-STD rant, it all boils down to a fucking moron not paying attention while watching the episodes.

>threadly reminder michael is going to mind-meld with the giant tardigrade and become the ship's navigator
That...would be actually quite awesome.

>>lmao i'm gonna open the cage hold my beer

kek, I said the exact same thing in real life seconds before opening an unknown dog pen to pet him. It didn't go well.

So what you're saying is trek fans don't like it because it's not a star trek show.

Tuvok, who is this woman?

Maybe you should actually pay attention before starting your rants. The Federation caused the drought, it was a mining accident.

Except a human can't perform a mind meld. Only a vulcan can.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums. The klingons are basically tribal africans who, and this might blown your little redneck brain, can also be as supremacists and purists as the most nazi of the nazis.

But the show does push the fiction of the sci a little too much. A black woman and a asian woman in position of power and the white man is the first to fuck up and die? Pss, gimme a break.

Being a vulcan is a social construct.

>shills
>ip count doesn't go up
*inhales*

>*inhales*
Spotted the Redditor

You got that one wrong.

I gave it the four episode rule like I do all shows. It failed to grab me in that time.

>The ambient radiation from a nearby drilling accident dried out their water table.
PLEASE follow more what you are told you fucking sheep. That is them CLEARLY covering up their tracks in fucking with an underdeveloped species. I mean really? Since when does "ambient radiation" dry out wells? What fucking accident was there that caused SUCH a radiation that it completely fucked up their water supplies but let their bodies intact? Clearly they were fucking with them.

>Africans

Now >das rayciss

Seriously. Africans? The Klingons have been Mongols since Gene's fever dream after WWII. How about fuck off back to your cubicle at Bad Robot and keep your bigoted ignorance at plebbit.

>DAMAGE CONTROL
neck yourself

I'm just more woke than you.