/altco/

This is a thread for people who actually like comics rather than just liking superhero media. Feel free to discuss any comics not published by Marvel / DC / Image / Dark Horse in this thread (not because they're bad, but because they can easily sustain a thread on their own and don't need to be in this thread).

I'm going to storytime a great comic that came out last year from the Latvian publisher Kus called Music of Changes.

Other urls found in this thread:

komikss.lv/
misma.fr/?-Revue-
lassociation.fr/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The colours are a bit dulled because I'm not great at scanning, hopefully next time I can get them to come out better.

i may post something else in a bit if theres interest in this thread

support the official release here: komikss.lv/

bump

nawlz.com

Thanks OP, that was pretty cool.

Wtf is this garbage?

its a comic by daria tessler called music of changes

geek spotted

Don't have anything to storytime but here are some of the stuff I'm currently reading.

im reading that kramers atm too, first time i have read thurber in colour and i really like it

Yes, the Thurber one was great. I've just ordered his 1-800-MICE book. Best in the new Kramers was without a doubt Kim Deitch. He's one of my all time faves so I'm biased though.

I'm reading eclipse magazine right now, I love anthologies, specially if they're b&w in magazine size

1-800-MICE is probably my favourite comic I own honestly, its really creative in terms of art and story so you will probably love it. If you've ever read a Pynchon novel then it is a bit like that in comic form

i could actually storytime the first issue if anyone wants

Great! I'm looking forward to read it. I'm not familiar with Pynchon but I've read about the similarities in reviews.

I used to have a bunch of alt/UG/comix stuff to storytime on here but I'm on my new laptop. This strip by Tom Van Deusen was the only comic related I could find to contribute. His Scorched Earth book that was published recently was something of the best I've read in a long time.

angry, insecure shitpost bump.

Where do you think we are?

In a place for grown men likes super heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog?

what are your favourite UGs? i am gonna say inner city romance and also it's a dogs life

Tough question. I like a lot of stuff. Do you mean UG as in stuff from the 60's - late 70's? Then I guess Kim Deitch, Crumb and Spain Rodriguez are my faves. Guy Colwell is awesome too.

yeah as in last gasp and all those other associated publishers. i dont really enjoy spain rodriguez personally, out of zap crew moscoso is by far my favourite

Ah you're the Moscoso user! We've talked before.

I like Spain's autobio stuff about his time in a motorcycle gang and that stuff. Seems like he really was a hard ass in a very violent surrounding. I find stuff like that interesting since it's the opposite of my sheltered suburban upbringing I guess.

Speaking of Last Gasp, I recently read the retrospective book about Rand Holmes (pic related). He was truly a master in the UG crowd, artistically speaking. He had a lot of troubles with Ron Turner and Last Gasp. They never paid him on time.

Different user, Spain's never really appealed to me, but I grew up "at risk" surrounded by drunks and scumbags. I have no doubt that's what led to my lifetime of kirbyfaggotry.
I do like stuff like pic related, there's a Great Lakes dispair that I can no longer sample irl (thank fuck) that I like to look at now and again.
I like Crumb in general, and stuff like MM&O as well.

Forgot pic

Anyone here read Chris Ware's stuff? His work is monolithic and takes a while to digest; I love it.

are you the user formerly known as vollsticks? that book looks interesting, i wasnt aware of it but i have read some harold hedd and enjoyed it. been reading a lot of 80s minicomics lately, seems like thats the point where comics really started to break away from the heavy zap influenced stuff in the 70s and start getting really interesting. Mike Roden in particular is really unique but also reminds me a little bit of Johnny Ryan (except 10 years earlier)

yeah im sure most of us know Chris Ware, i have to admit i don't really like Building Stories but I think Quimby The Mouse is fucking great

I can appreciate something like Quimby the Mouse for its artistry, which I think is beautiful, but I'm just not really into abstract experimentation that much. I want a solid, coherent narrative in my comics.

And unless you're Jim Woodring, I want word bubbles.

Yeah, American Splendor is great. And Hanselmann, together with Noah Van Sciver, is in my opinion the best working cartoonist of our generation (people born in the 80's).

Nope, but I'm a friend of Vollstix. Used to post under the name Loady McGee a couple of years ago. Yeah, I recommend it, it's a good read with both comics and about his life. He was quite special, to say the least. Lived like an 1800's frontiers man in the wild the last decades of his life.
Not familiar with Mike Roden but J.D King and J.R Williams were also a decade before and big inspirations for Ryan's stuff.

>Cowboy Henk

That is some mighty fine reading, user. I approve.

I love paintng of the family trimming weed; especially, the "lets sneak away and fuck" look the young woman is giving the dude.
Can you tell ne something anout this guys work?

That painting is called "The Bud Clippers". He did a lot of oil paintings in his last decades and less comics. He also was a master craftsman, build his own house in the wild and a hunting cabin where he would spend weeks by himself hunting with old timey rifles from the 1800's (which he partly restored by himself). A true renaissance man. A lot of his comics were adventure themed but with a underground touch to them with lots of drugs and sex involved. He did lots of humour stuff too.

I love adventure comics, I'll check him out.

Picked this gem up last week. Man, they made a lot of weird comics.

I've loved Branden McCarthy's artwork from before I knew who he was, back when he was the lead designer for the cgi tv series Reboot.

Plus I loved Fury Road.

I wanna win the lottery for horror comics.
Not like the super big ones, but those lil ones that pay out $100-200 a month for a decade.

Just so I can justify buying monthly floppies for all the damn horror comics I love but can't afford to buy beyond a trade every month or so or a maybe 2 ongoing floppies.

And I always feel like a jerk being like "I know I loved Mars Attacks and Creepy, but I'm gonna give my money to Nailbiter and Tales from the Crypt instead. Sorry"

Anyone know why Disney produces their old comics through IDW even though they own Marvel?
Like they have made new stuff and sold it through Marvel, but when it comes to silver age comics reprints it's through IDW.

Seems weird to me.

maybe they signed a contract with IDW before they purchased Marvel that they have to stick to?

Disney also produces comics through Fantagraphics.

Honestly, if I worked for Marvel, this would terrify me.
On topic, the Barks books are super sweet.

>Honestly, if I worked for Marvel, this would terrify me

Why?

I would like to read more alternative comics, where should I start?

buy a kramers ergot, note down the stuff you like and google the artists to see what other publishers they have released stuff with or if they sell their own comics have a look at their own shops

Thanks.

Is there an alternative if I'm poor and live in France?

Disney has no issue with farming out comics. They bought Marvel for movies.

Check out these publishers:
Fantagraphics
Drawn & Quarterly
Kilgore Books
Last Gasp
Adhouse Books
Kitchen Sink
Koyama Press
Alternative Comics
Nobrow
Breakdown Press
Knockabout Comics
Oily Comics
Secret Acres
Conundrum Press
Microcosm Publishing
Pigeon Press
Jonathan Cape
Faber & Faber
Uncivilized Books
Abrams

Browse their websites and see if you find any comics that you'd be interested in. Check out comics sites like The Comics Journal and The Comics Reporter for news and reviews about adult oriented comics.

misma.fr/?-Revue-

If you live in France you should check out L'Association, one of the best publishers in Europe for alternative comics. They translate a lot of american stuff to french too.
lassociation.fr/

Thanks.

Disney doesn't seem to care about their comic heritage at all. It's like they don't even realize how huge Duck comics are in Scandinavia and Italy.

Bump