ALRIGHT YOU WIN

ALRIGHT YOU WIN

I've avoided Steven Universe for all this time mainly because of his nose. I can't stand the design of his face.

But fine, I'll give it a shot. Give me one episode to watch that highlights the series at its best.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s-oZ6Ol1c2g
imgur.com/a/8O3gh
youtube.com/watch?v=h2TlJpmx_7M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't this series is trash youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ

start at 0:55 and go from there

Holy cow, stop spamming your shitty video. It sucks.

if your going to watch this show id probably just start with episode one. its not the best episode ever but it gives you an ok idea of what to expect from the show

Giant woman

Watch it from the beginning you fucking faggot. The highlights of the series are filled with shit you wouldn't understand if you didn't start from the beginning. They're 11 minute episodes ffs

This.

It's too serialized to jump in at the "best" episodes.

One episode that I think is good and doesn't rely that much on foreknowledge because it's a flashback episode to before the start of the series is "Story for Steven".

But it's not exactly a standard episode.

The show kind of unwinds in a natural progression and hints at a lot of stuff early on before you even realize that things are being hinted at. It's best to start at the start and move on, even if the show starts out on rocky footing. The show finds itself pretty quickly and generally stays better from there on out. There are a number of duds scattered throughout but they're outweighed by good episodes.

Still don't understand why this needs to be a twenty minutes video.

I recommend "Giant Woman", very early on while still highlighting greatly what the series has to offer. A great introduction to the series.

That episode of his mom's video tape is really good, but it works best if you're already wondering about his mom's disappearance already.

Maybe start at Giant Woman.

Steven and the Stevens is still one of the best episodes the show's done and requires no context from other episodes.

Would have to say either Say Uncle or Last one of of Beach City if you want an episode that you don't a to know a whole lot of the story to enjoy.

Are you trying to be the barneyfag of SU?

>"Fans of this show, please give me your recommendation for which episode to watch to see if I'd actually enjoy it."
>"WOW BUDDY FUCK YOU WATCH ALL OF IT YOU FUCKING FAGGOT I SWEAR TO GOD YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING IDIOT"

*don't need to know a whole lot of the story to enjoy.

Also one of my favorites.

For introductory, sure, Giant Woman is good. Last One Out of Beach City is great too.

The Test is one of my favorite episodes, and it shows best just how different Steven is compared to other protagonists, goofy kids and young heroes alike.

There's only a couple episodes that are total shit and worth skipping over like Cheeseburger Backpack or Lars and the Cool Kids.

Good early episodes are Cat Fingers, Tiger Millionaire, Giant Woman, So Many Birthdays, and Coach Steven. But most episodes do have at least some important info.

For your first impression, although it might be spoilery watch GIant Woman, Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem

Congrats, you got memed.

Exactly. Just start at the beginning, you fucking idiot. Watching the climax of anything on it's own is an excersice on "i didn't understand anything or know who anyone is!"

Giant Woman is early enough where it isn't really spoilery. Mirror/Ocean Gem should definitely be watched later on.

There are shows you can just jump into, this simply isn't one of them. Stop being a condescending cunt.

On second thought I agree with this guy on The Test. It's the first episode that really cements that Steven is their leader despite his youth, and really showcases his emotional maturity. And Evangelion and Indiana Jones references are always nice.

There's at least 20 minutes of reasons why the show is poop

How many evangelion references are actually in this show? I haven't bothered to do the homework but it seems like there'd be a lot.

OP, watch the episode 'We Need to Talk'.

It gives a good idea what the show is really about without having as awkward an art style as the early episodes some people are recommending. And it's not super spoilery.

I avoided it because of his nose too. Recently got into it though. Not sure there's a single episode that's really great. It's sort of a bunch of average episodes that when all joined together form something enjoyable. Greater than the sum of its parts and all that.

I second Mirror Gem, if OP is intent on not starting at the beginning and wants a single episode to pull him in. Maybe don't continue on to Ocean Gem, and wait until he actually gets that far though.

>season 2 episode 12

I would, but people won't stop being fucking idiots. So, why bother?

You're the only one who comes off as retarded, here.

Well the less obvious ones.

Watch the pilot desu senpai

There's at least two, with the endings of The Test and Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service. Blue Pearl might count as a Rei Ayanami Expy or might just be another example of the character trope.

Although The Test is a direct sequel to Cheeseburger Backpack, which is one of Steven's worst episodes.

Watch We Need to Talk, OP. DO IT

Yes, and?

The Test shows his progress as well. He starts off really immature and selfish (in a kid's way), and in that episode he shows he is selfless to the gems . I like that kind of progression.

That's like five episodes away from the point where the show jumps the shark.

Season 1, episode 24. An Indirect Kiss

Everyone loved the leaked bomb so you are wrong.

A show that is so far up its own ass that newcomers who can't get invested in any individual episode without having watched the entire series is a terribly made show. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Steven Universe is NOT one of these shows and that you're just fucking awful at making recommendations, but if you're telling the truth then you're really not selling Steven Universe very well. Either way, you're looking like a moron.

OP just wanted one good episode to watch, they didn't say they were going to continue watching from that episode..

Watch Space Race or We Need to Talk.

Watch Steven and the Stevens, it's the episode based on the pilot of the show and it showcases pretty much every aspects of it.

For some reason I absolutely cannot seem to figure out, Sadie's design reminds me of something from a Studio Ghibli movie. Is it just me? Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Dude that episode is lame and the hourglass never comes up again.

It's the nose.

Cheeseburger Backpack in retrospect is there to show how much Steven grows. Just imagine if present day Steven went on that same mission.

>I want to read this series of books, which chapter of which book should I start at?
>Just read from the start and stop whenever you get tired of it
>BUT I SHOULD GET HOOKED ON THE BEST CHAPTER WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT IS GOING ON OR WHO EVERYONE IS!
Maybe you should watch something more episodic. Or maybe Steven Bumbleverse needs recap episodes. But "start at the beginning" is solid advice for any serialized thing. Especially in Steven Universe, where shit is pretty mediocre without you being invested in the story. The fights and action sequences are kinda boring when you don't understand what is at stake, and the humor is either childish or dependant on you knowing the character to go "kek, x did y instead of expected z".

Watching that episode blind is the best. Then again, OP probably knows about that gem already, so the surprise isn't there anymore.

OP, watch

Giant Woman
Cat Fingers
So Many Birthdays

>lame
Stop being a lars

I just rewatched The Test, and Jesus it hits pretty hard. Steven straight up lies to the Gems because he knows their emotional stability is worth more than his.

Watch the season 1 finale, Prison Break.

> making a 30 minute rant about a show you dislike

He went complete and utter retard during the last 10 minutes.

This. Together Breakfast and Cheeseburger Backpack have Steven as really childish and selfish. Then in The Test, it shows you he is starting to think for the gems and treats them like family. He puts aside his own happiness for their happiness.

I watched the first 36 episodes and it was still trash.

Okay. Gratz.

It's not that he was ignoring his own emotions. He just got some perspective.

Steven feels under a ton of pressure to live up to his destiny and replace his mom. He wants to prove himself as a crystal gem, and at that point in the story, he's really feeling like a failure, that he's not meeting those expectations, and that the other gems aren't going to give him a chance.

Finding out that the test was fake hit him like "they really don't believe in me, they think I'm just a little kid who gets in the way."

But when he hears them talking, he realizes. They didn't build that dungeon just to placate him. They did it out of love. They're as lost as he is, but they love him. So he returns their love with love.

The liquid inside Peridots ship is very reminiscent of LCL

You summarized what I loved in that episode

Also the way Alexandrite opens its mouth is clearly a reference to EVA 01

Watch the first 6 episodes. Its about an hour time commitment. And generally Ive found that if theres nothing for you in any of them, its not for you. They largely introduce the themes and feel that the rest of the series expands on.

That's false equivalence because chapters in a book are not the same as episodes in a TV show. An episode of a TV show CAN be tied to an overarching plot, but the episode by itself is a self-contained story that has its own beginning and end, much like individual books in a series. A chapter of a book, on the other hand, is one fragment of a story that wouldn't make sense on its own because it REQUIRES the preceding chapters to form the cohesive tale.

Steven Universe being the kind of show where you were absolutely REQUIRED to watch previous episodes is like having a book series where the 5th book in the series makes zero sense to anyone who hasn't been reading up until that point. And in literary circles, that's called shitty writing.

Watch the first 6 episodes. Its about an hour time commitment. And generally Ive found that if theres nothing for you in any of them, its not for you. They largely introduce the themes and feel that the rest of the series expands on, as well as giving you an inkling of the larger plot if you look for it

We need to Talk is hands down my favorite episode, but jumping in there seems like a bad Idea. A lot of the tension early in the series works because of the absense of Rose. Having her being a focal character in tbe first episode you watch seems like a bad plan.

The first few episodes seem rather experimental if you ask me, like the series doesn't quite know what it wants to do yet. Ep 12, "Giant Woman" is the first one to really hit a good balance between serious and silly, slice of life and plot drive if you ask me. Plus it has a nice song.

>makes zero sense to anyone who hasn't been reading up until that point. And in literary circles, that's called shitty writing
What the fuck kind of books are you reading that have zero continuity?

seconding

Plus if you watch it from the perspective of the original Steven it's even less than 11 minutes.
youtube.com/watch?v=s-oZ6Ol1c2g

Holy shit, are you trying to be obtuse just to piss me off? There's a large fucking difference between books having continuity and books basically acting as long, required-for-reading chapters to each other.

If the stalwart young hero braves his journey through the Forests of Silence and ends upon the other side in the first book, then the second book begins with said hero making his way to the Lake of Tears to fight the monster therein, that's called continuity. It does NOT mean that the second book is completely incomprehensible to people who haven't read the first book. However, if the brave hero made it like a third of the way through the Forest of Silence when the first book ends and the second book just picks up where the last book left off without any kind of recap or exposition to let the reader know what the fuck was going on, the second book would be completely shitty to read for anyone who hadn't already been following the series.

I'm not saying TV shows should require DBZ-style exposition explaining what happened previously, but that each episode should be written well enough that knowledge of the previous episodes are NOT required to understand what's happening.

Do you fucking get what I'm saying now?

Yeah, thanks for fucking clarifying.

If you were really willing to give this show a shot, you would start from the beginning like any sensible person starting a series. You asking for highlight episodes shows that you are not genuinely interested in the first place, so what is the point?

Oh, finally a chance to post this.
Been holding on to this link in my favorites folder for so damn long, thinking "surely there'll be others that need this.

Now is the time.
imgur.com/a/8O3gh

Say Uncle

watch:
Gem Glow
Laser Light Cannon
Steven's Lion
Steven the Sword Fighter
Lion 2: The Movie
Lion 3: Straight to Video
in that order

If at any point you enjoy it, stop and watch it from the beginning

It did get pretty retarded I must say but the rape connotations are still totally there.

You rape apologists

read it you faggot

>Give me one episode to watch that highlights the series at its best.

Just watch this:

youtube.com/watch?v=h2TlJpmx_7M

>No townies
0/10 trailer, doesn't represent the bulk of the show at all.

Who gives a shit about townies?

The only good ones are Vidalia and the Cool Kids occasionally.

>STORYTIEM ranting about SU in 2017
Man thats weird. Im not used to seeing him outside of /tg/ and its been a while at that.

If you want a taste as if you ran into an episode while flipping through the channels maybe Frybo for what a none world episode is like or Steven's lion for one that has some plot stuff but not much.
Tiger Millionaire for silly is also ok.

Sup Forums BTFO

Quit shilling this schlock here you dumbass

>imgur.com/a/8O3gh

holy christ that's intense autism, he wrote a fucking dissertation that no one will ever read for nothing. What a retard

Well, keep in mind that the faggot did that post by post over an extended period, in some SU thread.

He probably got a lot of people reading it and some chuckles from his descriptions at the time.
All of it at once though, yeah it's too much.

>A show that is so far up its own ass that newcomers who can't get invested in any individual episode without having watched the entire series is a terribly made show.

No, it's a show that respects its audience and isn't for casuals.

>serialized shows are automatically terrible

No wonder western animation is a laughing stock when people like you exist.

NICE

is this just a long autistic rant about fanbases and "bad morals for kids"?

>TV shows and books should be this particular way because I say so, otherwise it's bad writing!

I guess Game of Thrones, Death Note and Lord of the Rings are an awful TV show, anime and book series respectively then despite being critically acclaimed, because jumping into a random episode or book of either will leave you completely and utterly lost.

its a joke video that apparently people take it seriously.
i think who made it even likes the show

Just watch all the shows it rips off and imagine some backstory about uninteresting lesbians going on between episodes.

>Season 2 Episode 12 + 5
>Sadie's Song
Dear God was that episode ever awful, Still wouldn't consider it jumping the shark. Just the absolute worst of the forgettable townie filler.

watch out guys this one is sharp as fuck

The first episode I watched was "Alone Together".

>Good episodes without context are:
Gem Glow, Laser Light Cannon, Bubble Buddies, Serious Steven, Giant Woman, Rose's Room, Steven and the Stevens, Monster Buddies, and An Indirect Kiss.

Then you have...

>...a bunch of shitty episodes:
House Guest, Space Race, Secret Team, Keep Beach City Weird, Fusion Cuisine, Garnet's Universe, and Watermelon Steven

And after that,
>a bunch of great episodes:
everything after Lion 3: Straight to Video until the end of Season 1.

The series gets better and better, and if you don't like after the first 52 episodes, drop it.

>She fat.

Might be because it was smashed you utter cockwomble.

CRAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAAAL