The Mighty Captain Marvel #1 Lettered Preview + PREVIEWSworld Interview

>Celebrity status doesn’t protect you from headaches. Margaret Stohl will point you towards Carol Danvers in Mighty Captain Marvel #1 NOW to show you that celebrity status, in fact, increases headaches. With everything from POTUS calling her to suffering through a TV show based on her life, Carol’s day-to-day existence is a carnival funhouse on steroids played at super-speed in a YouTube video. Who wants this much pressure after being a Marvel character for fifty years? In this PREVIEWSworld Exclusive interview, Margaret Stohl explains when you’re the Top Command of Alpha Flight, you really can’t expect to have time for a leisurely soak in a bathtub. The boss is always on call.

>Mighty Captain Marvel #1 NOW is in comic shops January 18.

>Vince Brusio: What’s your interest in bringing Captain Marvel into the spotlight with this new series? What new magic trick are you planning to pull out of a hat?

>Margaret Stohl: Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, pretty much owns the spotlight right now – that wasn’t my doing. I mean, my run begins with Carol as the biggest superhero celebrity on the planet, taking calls from POTUS and suffering through a TV show based on her life. But emotionally, Carol’s just come through a tough period of conflict with her closest friends – Tony Stark, Jessica Drew, Kamala Khan – which has absolutely changed her. Responsibility – and the price of responsibility – has forced her to take a hard look at who she is, both as a person and a hero. So there’s already so much going on, both around her in and her mind, that there’s really no “trick” to writing her, other than to just let Carol be Carol. She’s had fifty years to develop as a character and has really just now hit her stride.

>Vince Brusio: What can you tell us about the supporting characters in this series? Are any usual suspects going to appear in the police line-up? Or does this series do more to give birth to new blood?

>Margaret Stohl: We’ll get more new blood – particularly younger blood – in the second arc of 2017, but I believe in gradual and organic transitions. Some of Carol’s enemies are being created specifically for Carol, but you’ll see some payout of longer term threats as well.

>Vince Brusio: How does this new Captain Marvel fit in with the Marvel Universe as it’s currently designed? Or does Carol Danvers just operate inside her own back yard?

>Margaret Stohl: I’d say Carol’s a big player in the current Marvel Universe, and you can see that in both the last crossover event and the next one. For one thing, just the fact that she’s the Top Command of Alpha Flight adds this whole intergalactic dimension to both her responsibilities and her storylines, and there’s a lot of fun to be had with that. She’s sort of the boss of Marvel in space, and I love that.

>Vince Brusio: What aspects of Carol’s personality did you want to accentuate in this series? How does both writer and artist get inside of her head? And should we be cautious before looking inside those mental file cabinets? Are there some files that are marked “classified”?

>Margaret Stohl: I loved the work Kelly Sue DeConnick did in the original reboot of Captain Marvel, in that she really saw Carol as a fully dimensional character – and a woman – in addition to her role as a superhero. I want to see that again, her friends, her past, her personal life, her sense of humor – which is legendary. Particularly I want to see Carol with the other powerful ladies of Marvel who are by far some of my favorite heroes. In terms of getting inside Carol’s head, she’s definitely taken her share of damage as the only girl in her family, as well as a woman rising through the ranks of the military and NASA, and you’ll see that cast a long shadow in her life. She’s so aware of the thousands of tradeoffs women make every day to get and stay where they are, even superhero women. In that sense, it’s an interesting time to be a woman in comics – certainly an interesting time to write them. As far as I’m concerned, it’s time to fling open every “Classified” file in Carol’s head.

>Vince Brusio: If you could isolate a moment during the production of this book and choose a scene or scenes that would work best for an online trailer, what would we see? And what music would work best as the soundtrack?

>Margaret Stohl: I’d be torn between doing a character moment or a “mighty” moment; probably I’d show you the opening scene of my issue zero, which is Carol sitting around a table playing cards with Natasha Romanoff, Jessica Drew, Kamala Khan and Jane as Thor…and cut to a later moment in the episode, when Captain Marvel has to throw herself into the collision course of an out-of-control space liner and rip it to a stop with her bare hands. That’s how I see Carol: equal parts laughter and brute force but all hero.

sounds weak

Hip-hop variant by Jenny Frison, homaging the album art of Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo"

1:25 variant by Paulo Siquera

Variant by Skottie Young

1:50 variant by Alex Ross

Ever rarer pencils-only version of that Alex ROss variant

Fried Pie variant by Elizabeth Torque

Legends Comics & Games/The Brain Trust variant by Todd Nauck, homaging the cover to Ms. Marvel Vol 1 #1.

The Retailer Bonus (one per store) variant (artist unrevealed) will be revealed next Wednesday.

FIN

Even put the Kree "refugee" in a fucking nijab. Fuck this gay earth.

That's neat

she is slowly morphing into mar-vell.

Hijab, infidel pig.

If you can see the face it's a hijab, if it's covering the face its a niqab.

JUST GIVE HER LONG HAIR

Been there, done that.

Did the filesize limit go down? Apparently I can't post the full page of this anymore.

Shit taste.

Wait, which Jess is this. I assume Jones but it looks more like Drew. But pretty sure that one is on the "no talking" Side

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS

Or, you know, it's a cloak? Because Phyla Vell wore a cloak with a hood for a good long time.

she made up with drew in #0 in a really unsatisfying way. Drew is still pissed at her in her own book.

why all the kree have green uniforms?

>Captain Murder

It's a fan from Sup Forums!

why do they call her sir
what's wrong with ma'am
is she ftm trans now?

SWORD has always done that, blame Whedon

Gimmie a fucking break, this is so "on the nose" its garbage. I'm all for allegory and satire, but this is beyond lazy. Maybe Stohl's a genius and has created a new post-allegory, post-satire, post-on the nose, self aware form of political commentary but i fucking doubt it.

For the love of God, fire the intern writing these solicits

Ma'am is for teachers and soccermoms

They really want to disassociate her from Mar-vell, oh well.

I want to see an edit where all of this is replaced with YASSS QUEEN

Not after the movie comes out.

Normies and non SJW women won't want the dyke cut, I mean the only reason MvC3 gave her long hair is because the Japs don't go for masculine women.

The Green uniform was suppose to be the colors of the Captain rank if I am not mistaken, Kree had various different uniforms.

After awhile artists and writers didn't give a shit.

They going to retcon Mar-Vell out and make Carol the father of his kids.

It would explain Phyla's fuck ups tho.

Are Carol and Jess finally a couple now?

Carol and Jess look EXTREMELY gay here.

Is this Dillon?

Why is Sasquatch always in Sasquatch form, and why is he chauffeuring Carol?

Dillon is dead, man.

>why is he chauffeuring Carol
It was that or return to Alpha Fight.

Neat!

Actually some nice covers.

this feels like false advertising

They did the same thing with Nova a couple years back.

Paris seems like a detour.

>She’s sort of the boss of Marvel in space
But that's Nova.

They sorta kinda removed him from that position.
Nova SHOULD be a respected 5 star general, whos participated in basically SpaceWW2 and personally killed space demon bug Hitler, and ripped his throat out...

But no one remembers.
That was a few years ago!
No one remembers a few trillion people in the universe dying!

Carol stopping the Sun from exploding got mentioned once after it happened.

stupid question but which happened first: XvI or CV2?

I'm kinda hoping that the two of them will have an interaction this year to see how they'll deal with it.

Having Carol be the bridge between space and earth would be neat if they did it right. Could also fill Richard in on stuff if he cared enough.

Nova is not a woman. Carol is. So despite the fact that she's 100x more incompetent and self-righteous, she has earned the job through sheer force of womanhood.

yaas

aaahh more of the Carol is the greatest schtick

because predictive justice and this whole debacle obviously endeared her to the world.
actually maybe its realistic. maybe leftiews would REALLY cheer on Carol just cause she has a vagina and beat that cis hetlord tony to a coma? pretty sure tumblrinas would be ok with using predictive justice to arrest any would be RACIST or ISLAMOPHOBE

>tfw we are heading into a dystopia

why dose the art look like its lower resolution than the word bubbles and text boxes.

all hail the slay queen

>We have complete control of the US government, but the tumblrinas are still out there TUMBLING at us! The country is doomed if this continues!

thats not uncommon for lettered previews

yaas

Nova/Dick only just got back, and the Nova Corps are pretty much toast. Right now it's just Dick and Sam

I'd like it if Dick ended up on the Ultimates to some degree.
But I just want some Richard/Carol interaction.

Wait, so Captain marvel stole Thor's classic Moniker for "Mighty Thor"

Again? Again, again?

The Nova Corps die en masse faster then a cast of Young Justice at the end of first quarter sales month.

How many fucking issue 1s do they need to need to write before they realise nobody's interested?

Because the new Marvel way
today Marvel in a few magazines does not use inkers
the result is that poor quality
I don't buy issues with bad quality

I'd say this is breddy gud

The one art, Carol Danvers looks like a real woman

Another artist drawing Captain Marvel with no curves
That's a man baby

look out it's the gender police.

Look, I'm super trashed but I'm pretty sure they've all been gone since around the Thanos Imperative. So a few years

Sam Alexander is the new Nova. Richard literally just got back this month (the new Nova book is actually pretty good).

There was actually a pretty good scene in it which really does show that the universe remembers what Nova has done for them

it has an Adi Granov vibe to it

Probably because Ross found a woman who looks like that to base the drawing on.

so far removed from the Ms. Marvel series from 2006 by Brian Reed and Aaron Lopresti. that was a good series

CV2 (Civil War II) you frog

Vary from sauce to sauce.

>implying those have consistent quality
By the way, do you see ComicVine's watermark used in exclusive previews is now bigger?