Thoughts on late 80's J.M. DeMatteis Doctor Fate?

Thoughts on late 80's J.M. DeMatteis Doctor Fate?

I've heard good things. Shame it hasn't been collected.

Really great, it's like a proto-Vertigo series. I wish the character would be utilized more like that instead of the recent bullshit hipster Fate. or even when he was hanging with the JSA I found Hector pretty lame with a convoluted backstory just for the sake of it, he wasn't really meshing well with the rest of that run.

It's great and underrated.

Find it weird that they replaced the series with something spawned from the success of both Marvel's Midnight Sons and early Image. To be fair though, it's an okay book in it's own right, but a far cry from it's original namesake

Beautifully prescient of the 90s.

Never read it, but I'm guessing you recommend?

It out on trade? I know DC is recently good with rereleasing older runs.

I flicked through it a year or so ago, since I like magic and like JMD. I didn't have any investment in the character going in but there was some cool stuff. If nothing else it really helps contextualize his other work, I find.

Should I storytime it?

If you like weird sort of surreal books that were prevalent at the time, it's good. It's dark, but not overtly "edgy", and has a sense of humor and optimism.

Do it if ya wanna.

>DeMatteis
>mystic book
Sounds like it'd be bretty gud desu

Moore's probably one of the more underrated '90s writers. X-Force, X-Men 2099, Fate, Doom 2099 and Chronos are all good books.

I remember when this came out - it was breath of fresh air.
As someone else said in this thread, it was a proto-vertigo series.
Haven't read it in 15 years...